Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm hoping this is the right place for this.

So I've done various forms of delivery for longer than some goons have been alive. Up until last year, it's always been for pizza places, where they carry a blanket policy, and they just ask you to carry state minimums for liability.

I've finally moved up in the world a bit :laffo: and I have three 1099 courier jobs. Two of them actually provide liability insurance while I'm driving for them as long as I have everyday personal car insurance (and one of those matches my comprehensive and collision coverage as well), but the third wants me to get a commercial use policy. I can't say I blame them.

I've never tried to get a commercial policy before, and I know for sure that my current insurance company would drop me if I started asking about commercial coverage (my policy specifically excludes any for-profit use). I have no loving clue where to look, it seems like the fact that I'm using my personal car, instead of a dedicated vehicle, muddies the water a bit. Googling "courier insurance" just keeps pointing me at random companies I've never heard of, and/or companies that don't do business in the US.

Suggestions? More than anything I just don't have any idea who I would contact for this kind of policy.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Do you have a local agent for your current policy? They are the perfect person to explain all your options. Most offices have people that do both types of policies. It is going to cost more. Your other option is dropping the one customer especially if they don't pay a higher rate.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Could you just say that you have a job offer that would require commercial insurance and you want to understand what it is and what you need? That way they don't question you? Just an idea, maybe it would work too get you to that point.

• Locked thread