Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

John Romero posted:

can someone explain the nurse game
it's a lesbian romance visual novel that stars nurses. the characters are kind of assholes and there's some weird scenes but nothing like, perverted, just a lot of stuff about piss. because people piss in a hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best girl thing is really lame. all girls are good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it reminds me of sexism.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the vita had dozens of good games released for it and was a well made system. people have been calling it dead since it launched but it seems like only now is it actually dying. it's not got the lifespan of the ds or anything but its a sight better than the wii u

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

The Wii U is 100000x the system the vita is and I like the vita. Sony buried it like two months after release and never tried to make anybody care about it again
yeah but who needs sony when devs are actually making games for it without their involvement, unlike the wii u

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meallan posted:

We probably need to wait like 15 years when feminism becomes relevant in Japan and then another 5 for when they remake the dance games
good news: feminism is relevant in japan.

bad news: it isn't relevant to atlus

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there is a correlation between those two things, but the onus is on atlus. furthermore, it's an issue complicated by the fact that a large portion of the persona fanbase is women who like the hot guys in it, including the male protagonists. they might see a female protagonist as unnecessary because they have a female fanbase that is mostly there for the men. obviously, a female protagonist might bring in more women besides thirsty nerds, but it's more complicated than 'atlus doing a sexism'

otoh their constant refusal to acknowledge the female p3p protagonist in any way whatsoever is weird. I don't even care about her not being in any of the spinoffs but she even skips out on random promotional art for the franchise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meallan posted:

About the sexism thing, I do get that there's a lot going on; but even in that case above sexism can play into things. Girls who viciously attack female characters because they get in the way of the mens are part of that.
I mean, I don't think anyone's actually done that and I don't think any of that fanbase would care if there was a female protagonist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I clicked on the video. I don't understand the problem. It looks like a girl dancing in a rhythm game. Is there something I am not seeing?
Persona 3 Portable has a female protagonist option. Atlus has never put that female protagonist into any of the crossover games. Someone made a fake video of that female protagonist in the Persona 3 dancing game. She is not actually in the Persona 3 dancing game. The discussion is centered on why they never put her in any of the spinoffs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Are they fun? Or is it just series vs series fanservice?
The gameplays pretty basic srpg stuff but fun and satisfying, qnd theres at least a bit of challenge if you go for the extra objectives that every stage has. The real fun of the series is in the writing, though - it isnt like a bad fanfic where characters from already completed stories get transported to the same setting, the idea is that the plot of every series is happening at the same time in a shared setting, and their plots influence and react to each other. So you get stuff lile lelouch and kamina being bros and kaminas death pushing lelouch even further into his zero persona, shinji beating up his dad because hes spent so long around super robot pilots, or my favorite example, setsuna pondering on if idol jpop is also gundam. Its fun stuff if you have even vague familiarity with mecha anime.

Great sprite animations, also.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the thing is this actually is, for the first time ever, an actual case of censorship, since the game's basically been strongarmed into being unable to exist in any meaningful way.

and the game's probably insanely bad but when AAA western games and other japanese vita games have equivalent or worse stuff going on it does seem kind of stupid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, that happens with a lot of stuff. Fire Emblem Fates' translation was terrible and they didn't even translate half the DLC despite it selling so well in the west and that still got wrapped up in that nonsense despite there being legitimate criticisms to be made.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i honestly even agree with them 90% of the time in that i dont think things should be changed between regions just because 'too much titty, here is the socially acceptable amount of titty' which frankly is the worst position to be in because it means im owned from either direction

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah and it just sets a really bad precedent. like what happens if countries with stricter regulations on depictions of gay stuff in media, like china or russia, become bigger markets for games. or like, tales of berseria had to edit out a kid getting stabbed to a kid getting owned by magic spears, and while that edit mostly didn't affect anything its fortunate that it didnt because if they'd made more of a metaphor or a point out of it and still had to change it it would have sucked. that kinda thing. idk, maybe the latter case is just because they wanted a T, but even in that case they'd still have to choose between ruining their art or losing money.

heck this whole Era of Censorship (realistically the only difference these days is that people are actually aware of these kinds of changes but there's definitely a different atmosphere to the room) has already led to some weird changes in those directions. Not necessarily because of censorship, but because of, idk, wanting to seem more 'woke?' Fire Emblem Fates removed the gay-specific dialogue for Niles and Rahjat's marriages because... iunno, I guess they did both have lines like 'but we're both girls/but we're both guys?' But then they just replaced them with the het supports for those two, which, congrats, you've wokely turned the game's only lesbian relationship into comedy stalking.

It was a little before this whole kerfuffle really started kicking up dirt but Tales of Xillia removed a line implying one of the game's main antagonists was gay, too, because the line was comparing him to a schoolgirl with a crush. Which is a weird line, don't get me wrong, but the solution there is to rewrite it, but instead they just kind of removed the implication completely, and frankly if they were going to do that I'd rather just keep the original line. And that was like 2013, I don't think anyone was going to get mad at a JRPG for vaguely implying homosexuality, so I can only really imagine they did it because the original line was kind of weird.

So stuff like that really rubs me the wrong way, and like, is anyone really less offended by criminal girls after the changes than they would be by criminal girls before the changes? No matter which angle you look at it from, it's, well, criminal girls. So even in the 'best case' it doesn't really help anyone or accomplish anything. so this whole trend just kind of sucks, even if most of the other people saying that this whole trend sucks are insane.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Renoistic posted:

I think most people have bigger more important issues to deal with than a subset of a subset of a niche game genre. And to say that it's the age of censors or whatever is laughable. Whatever.
i literally said that there wasnt any actual change in the amount of censorship just that people were more aware of it. it's an exaggeration of how much discussion there is on the topic. maybe next time try actually reading a post

as for how anti-gay stuff and anti-titty censorship kind of correlate, well, one can easily get buried by the other if a game has examples of both (fates itself is a great example of this) and even in just the case of anti-titty censorship it can wind up going to really weird places if left to its own devices. its from 15 years ago so it doesnt really count as a 'modern' example but i still love fe7 changing lyn's age to 18 and then adding an animation that placed a huge amount of emphasis on her boobs.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 24, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imagine having to show footage of titty vita games in a court of law

your honor, omega labyrinth is merely another in a long line of baps *ten minutes of raw criminal girls footage*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/andrearitsu/status/1004887984657850368

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the game seemed terrible but it sucks that it just got essentially randomly chosen to be owned when stuff like criminal girls got released fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

Someone please spoil the ending of the first Trails of Cold Steel after the return to school and that weird labyrinth with the gates unlocking objects that you have to strike with a correct character - I've grown really weary of that dungeon and I don't want to drudge on, nor do I care for the data transfer. Still, I wouldn't want to start the second game not knowing how the first one ends.

The labyrinth isn't really that long honestly, maybe 45 minutes. Also I'm not sure you'll believe me when you read this.

That said, mouse over this if you still want to be spoiled: At the bottom of the labyrinth, the party finds a giant robot. George investigates the robot while the rest of the party goes back to enjoy the rest of the festival and relax. The next day, Osborne is giving a speech that the party is listening to on the radio. C, who is alive, crouches nearby on a rooftop with a sniper rifle. Mid-speech, he shoots Osborne directly in the heart, and Osborne falls over dead. Shortly after this, giant robots storm the capital, holding people hostage and overwhelming the Erebonian army. Claire confronts C on the rooftop, but he escapes.

Cut back to the party. Millium explains that C is Crow, and he faked his death by using pre-recorded messages, since they never actually found his body in the wreck of his airship. The giant robots then invade the academy. The teachers go to hold them off while telling the rest of the students to stay at school. The party naturally sneaks out to try and help, and wind up confronting a robot piloted by S. They barely manage to defeat S, but Crow, in his own giant robot, distinct from the others, steps in. Crow explains that they're working with a faction of nobles, including Duke Cayenne and Jusis's family, to overthrow Osborne's government. Rean is naturally horrified and the party prepares to fight Crow, but as Crow's mech raises its sword, the mech the party found in the bottom of the abandoned schoolhouse awakens and flies to the party's aid, kneeling down for Rean to pilot it. Rean and Emma's cat, Celine, are teleported inside of it, and Celine explains that Crow and Rean are 'awakeners,' people capable of piloting ancient mechs known as Divine Knights. The Divine Knight they found at the bottom of the school is called Valimar, while Crow's is called Ordine.

Rean in Valimar and Crow in Ordine fight a duel to the death, but the fact that Crow knows what the hell is going on means he's able to overpower Rean. Valimar's self-defense mechanisms kick in due to Celine, and he flies off out of Rean's control, leaving the fate of his friends and the school unknown. The game ends as Rean yells for Valimar to go back and finish the fight, even as Celine tries to calm him down and tells him it was a fight he was losing. Credits. I didn't make any of that up.