Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Hyrule's a pretty good entry point to the Musou games, but in terms of trappings it's also one of the most different. Bus what you liked the big boss fights and the Adventure Mode? Other Musou games really don't have those. Did you like the over-the-top combat styles and Fort to Fort combat? Pirate Warriors 3 is arguably the best Musou game period and follows a similar style. Do you like the massive roaming battles and running to and fro making sure all your plans succeed and your allies survive the chaos? The mainline Dynasty And Samurai Warriors games are all about executing the battle plan for the stage and dealing with it's contact with the enemy.

Pirate Warriors 3 and Samurai Warriors 4-2 would make good places to go next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Parker Lewis posted:

Freedom Wars has not gotten me hooked the way MH4U did earlier this year; I'm really only still playing it because I have gotten to code/level 4 and figure I might as well finish off the 'story'. Hopefully I can get through the remainder of the main story quests without having to deal with the crafting system which seems to be unanimously terrible. But yeah, not planning to spend any time with its end game and will move on to Soul Sacrifice Delta or GE:R as soon as I can.

Freedom Wars is a weird game where the middle is the strongest part. The start of the game is an infamous slog of story scenes and boring fights, while the endgame is an endless grind that shows you how little content unique content Freedom Wars has compared to similar games in the genre, but most of the 'story' of the game is at least worth playing. And yes, the crafting is a crime against humanity, and you'll probably need to dip into it in order to keep up with the power curve before you're done.

I can't talk much about GE:R, but Soul Sacrifice Delta is a much better game on just about every level if the game's aesthetic and different approach to 'equipment' doesn't chase you off. Unless you're doing a lot of multiplayer, I would avoid doing every mission- the name of the Pacts is 'filler' and while most of the missions at low ranks in SSD are short there's also a million of them. I'd only dip into the additional pacts area if you feel like you need the power boost to do the available story/faction pacts or there's some new bosses you want to fight in them.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The VITA scene for Homebrew is just getting started right now, though. There's not much to it that uses the Vita specifically for anything. You can do the hacks that let you do the PSP-era stuff with your Vita but I dunno how well that works with keeping your Vita otherwise usable with other stuff.

Enjoy your Vita as a Vita right now and get a PSP for cheap off E-bay or something if you want to do Homebrew/Emulation stuff. Eventually the Vita Homebrew scene will get there and it'll be time to take that dive, but that day is not today.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Poodge posted:

Oh god, gross. I thought it was going to be like an original monster hunter game, heck that then.

I'm planning on ordering a Japanese Vita because no retailer around here carries Vitas anymore (I live way out in the boonies in Canada), plus I'd love to have a nifty sky blue vita!

I heard Borderlands 2 was absolute trash on the Vita unfortunately, that was one of the titles I was excited about actually for the Vita.

Borderlands 2 on the Vita is playable but is the worst way to experience the game. If you want Borderlands 2 on the go, it'll do, but there are games that play better on the Vita and you'll probably just rather play it on whatever else you have. If you just want an FPS, Killzone: Mercenaries is just a really good FPS that happens to be on the Vita. If you're after a LootGrind game... the Vita's actually kinda lacking in good loot-grind games, thinking about it. There's PSO2 on a Japanese Account if you're willing to delve into the language barrier, I guess, or PS Nova if you're willing to do the same in an diminished, offline setting, and Dragon's Crown if you want a Loot 'Em Up brawler, but tastes tend to be divisive on that one.

Monster Hunter G Frontier is an MMORPG. I dunno exactly what makes it 'grindy' in a way that Monster Hunter isn't already grindy, but it also has zero offline, so you'll have to be on a Japanese account to play it, similar to PSO2, and have an internet connection available. MH Freedom Unite from the PSP is still available though, and is probably the best Monster Hunter title not on the 3DS, and of the MonHun-alikes, I can give a recommendation to Soul Sacrifice Delta, with God Eater 2 coming out at the end of the month probably at least worth a look.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

some of your attacks do HP damage, some of your attacks increase your BRV and reduce your opponnet's BRV. When you hit someone with an HP attack, the damage is based on your BRV. You hit people with BRV attacks to build up damage, and then smack them with an HP attack to do damage. It's a tug of war system where the two players are fighting over BRV and have to decide when to cash in that damage.

That isn't confusing.

The combat itself isn't that confusing (but having to unlock moves/move extensions definitely gets infuriating once you start playing as your tenth barely-there character) but Dissidia drowns you in a million subsystems, many of which are explained poorly and often only in extremely out of the way places. From relatively unimportant stuff like Chocobo paths, to major things like what your character's EX mode does.

I think Dissidia's a really good game and I hope we get the new one sooner rather then much, much later like it's starting to look like, but man the difficulty of finding where you can learn what you need to know in that game is the real difficulty curve of the PSP entries. Seriously, just find an FAQ or something.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
FFX's voice acting is a case of solid talent giving a solid job being directed terribly. This is a problem with Final Fantasy in general (also see- FFXIII, which like FFX had the voice direction in the US lead/heavily influenced by a non-native English speaker) where they get people giving characters great tone but the delivery comes off as stilted, insincere, or hollow.

That said, FFX doubled-down on the bad direction by forcing the English actors to use the Japanese lip animations, leading to stuff like Yuna cramming the two-syllable 'okay' repeatedly into places where the one-syllable 'hai' used to be and it coming out more like a sneeze then an actual word.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 26, 2016

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

I hear this a lot, and recently I decided to watch some gameplay videos since I've never played it. Honestly, it didn't look that bad.

It's problems mostly lie in the trappings it brings over as a game of it's series. It has the solid foundations of an interesting tactical shooter RPG but the Eve poo poo is a parasite corrupting what's good about it and dragging the whole experience into the muck.

The Eve poo poo is bad for both random folks and people who wanted a Parasite Eve game alike, so they suffer perhaps even worse then the rest of us do.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Just started soul sacrifice delta, played up to the point where all the quests unlock. Is it viable to just go solely sacrifice/save?

You can, but 1) There's no reward for it, and 2) While eventually maxing out damage is the endgame you don't get the offerings to make that feasible for a long, long time without eating frequent poo poo so you're going to want some survivability, and likewise trying to go pure Save is going to have you hit like a kitten and run out of offering uses long before many of the bigger fights end, so just grab what you need when you need it. Unlocking stuff is going to require both sacrificed and saved souls anyways, so just play the game naturally until later on when you have enough potent offerings and upgraded sigils to start making real builds.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

So you can respec later?

The first time you hit level 100 you unlock Transmutation-, which can reset your levels back to 1 and unlock your last sigil slot. Re-leveling is pretty easy with the stronger offerings and sigils you should have by that point, so if you want to re-adjust your levels you can (and you'll probably want to Transmute a few times anyways since it unlocks more sigils for the final slot.)

There are stat perks for going specifically 90/10 and 99/1 on either side, but you really, really do not want to make that your goal for your first set of levels since you won't have the offering/sigils to make having such grossly unbalanced stats actually functional. It also does nothing for you in terms of plot or unlocks so there's no story reason to do so either and, as said, a lot of times you'll need to re-run content anyways doing the thing you didn't do before for alternate mission unlocks.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Should i shoot for 50/50 on my first run then?

I'd mostly not sweat it and mostly do whatever you need the reward from (ether the immediate in-mission reward from your Faction or the Essence afterwards which you can use for various upgrades, particularly Sigils.) The different kinds of arms you get from levels allow you to equip different sigils- Neutral arm favors status effects, summons, and Force magic while having access to stat buffs of all kinds. Dark arm favors Attacking magic and offensive buffs. Divine arm tends to favor support and buff offerings as well as defensive buffs, and both polarized paths also support Blood Spells, which are probably the strongest attack magics in the early game due to being limited only by your health (which you can replenish through Offerings or Save/Sacrifice, although if you go Sanctuarium be very careful not to exhaust your healing offerings in a quest since none of it's Save/Sacrifice options restore health by itself. Divine Arm Blood Magic is probably solo 'easy mode' for most of the early game since you can be really chufty while also dealing a lot of damage but I'd pick to your playstyle- if you like buffs and weapon-style offerings Life > Magic might work better for you, while if you prefer blasting stuff down with blasting offerings you'll be better served with Dark, while Neutral can lean into either as well as really go hard on the trap and support offerings.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Usually you can get a 'good enough' video card for something like $200-$400 that'll run just about anything at 60 FPS or beyond at 1080p. The top, top end gets expensive, but that's for folks who want something way, way past console standards. And usually can stand up for multiple new cycles of video card (my five year old 1080 is still running most anything at 1440/144fps at high or max settings.)

I mean, right now video cards are a bitch, but it's not an isolated problem, considering PS5s and XBox Series Xs are even harder to find then an nVidia 30XX line card unless you're willing to pay a scalper almost double retail.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Mine was a Soul Sacrifice/Delta machine. I think I had like twice the hours in that game I did in P4A

And the the day they goofed up the whitelist happened, and I managed to sneak Phantasy Star Portable 2 on there as well.

Good times.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Apparently netflix will stop working on vita on October 16th.

Everyone is gonna say 'vita had netflix???'

I knew it HAD it.

Did not know it somehow STILL had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Morpheus posted:

You know, Soul Sacrifice Delta is neat and all but there's something about the game's lack of feedback that rubs me the wrong way. I never know if I'm doing a good job, if I'm actually hurting the creature, if the damage type I'm doing is correct, if I should be changing tactics/spells/whatever. I just sorta do stuff until the thing dies or I do.

Yeah. About your only way to make visible progress is through destroying Ill-Cursed Parts and triggering Elemental Hells since nothing really changes behavior like a Monster Hunter target. That said, changing offerings is usually pretty clear- if you're having a hard time landing a certain kind of Offering or keeping up in a fight, swap it out for a different type.

There are very few Offerings I feel are evergreen for every fight- swapping your loadouts to deal with the challenges of the current target is very important. Some enemies are super mobile and are are prone to tripping trap-style offerings and can be tracked by homing, some are really sturdy and need to be knocked out of dangerous moves before they happen, asking for heavy hitters with a lot of oomph, etc. A lot of fights will be hard to clear until you figure out the kind of loadout you want for it. If you're not playing a blood-focused build, I'd prepare to keep a sizable suite of Offerings up to date and be ready to farm a bit in the face of some hard fights to get the right tools.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 30, 2023