Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

So who else is excited for Cyber Sleuth?

I don't have the time, and frankly, the drive to pay full price for jrpgs. P5 probably notwithstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is the PSone category gone from the vita store? All I see is a CLASSICS section that's obviously missing a lot of titles.

Also I can't search the store, and the download list closes itself after a few seconds.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wanna say I saw it just last week.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Theme Hospital was pulled from the EU store entirely at some point which is much more bullshit than a missing imaginary soundtrack because I owned it and now I don't anymore.

Pretty sure it never worked on Vita for us anyway which is also bullshit but not as much as not even having a game I paid for anymore.

They actually removed it from download lists? Usually delisted items remain accessible to prior owners.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

Downwell is a super fun game and I'd love to have it on my Vita.

Lot of praise for this game. What's the hook?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

limaCAT posted:

Has it ever been alive? It was a proof of concept that came out when Ouya was still making the news and several other Android competitors were rumoured to be deployed (Nvidia and MadCatz had their own).

If anything when someone from venturebeat will write "mobiles will crush consoles" you can point "if It's automobiles on the highway then ok because there is no market for ultracheap devices" (and Ouya and PSTV failures remind us of C16 and the Sinclair going against the C64).

I seriously doubt it made Sony money but I doubt it cost them a lot since basically It's a vita without the pricey parts and selling you more memcards and joypads.

Regardless of everything stacked against it (and I don't think it's a awful idea in theory), the thing was never going to succeed the way it was actually implemented. And it deserved to fail. 720p output, anaemic app support, and the real killer, a large chunk of the Vita library being incompatible (and what worked and didn't not being as transparent as it should've been).

I think it's a shame. Any 2 of those fixed and I probably would've picked one up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Civ Rev 2 any good?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I have firmware 3.5x on my vita. I should be able to upload 3.60 from somewhere, right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Odette posted:

Yup, you can use QCMA to upgrade to 3.60. Guide.

Or just find a game that has the 3.60 update.

Heh

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What's the first OS version with this block? I need to check mine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Boo. My brother updated the vita to 3.63 when he had it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

lmao I think I'll use this method

I just want to post one to twitter or facebook or whatever, kind of a pain that you're limited to PSN Message or Email (which Gmail didn't like).

Thanks.

Can't you post them to twitter? I used to do that (but the quality was worse than by PSN message).

I guess they since killed the app/api.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Expensive, proprietary format with an apparently high failure rate. Good job Sony :thumbsup:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

what's the main motivation for messing with hacked firmware? besides SD2Vita, which is compelling

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

asecondduck posted:

Literally the Vita

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ah, just like the Vita

What? (not saying the original post wasn't dumb)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Truga posted:

vita in 2019 is real expensive: https://geizhals.eu/?cat=conpsv

that's fair. i was thinking in terms of the original value proposition (which concealed the cost of memory storage).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I still can't get my 3.68 unlocked. Can't get it to talk with my computer to start the first part of the process. Either it asks for an update, or just fails to connect.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

for me at least 50% of the appeal is the option of a large (and replaceable) memory stick

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Liver Disaster posted:

You have to change your dns server to one that isn't going to make it home and restart your vita.

Nah, that's not it. One of the first things I did.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

everything about the memory cards is poo poo. the one major blemish in the vita's design.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What's the best otome?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Deadguy2322 posted:

This talk is making me consider opening up mine ad seeing if I can revive it. My dog took a leak on it. It worked, but it stunk, so I tried to clean it to kill the smell, and it stopped working.

Hell of a metaphor.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'd get one in a heartbeat if I had the money.

Pity about the battery, true portables are dead.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Days? More like weeks! I left my Vita in a drawer for a month and forgot it was in standby, still had at least half the battery left.

Mine did not do that. Usually lasted a week.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

what is dead may never die

(the dimensions are actually pretty similar, if you ignore the extra height from the sticks and triggers)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If anything it's gonna have the same CPU/GPU just running at the lower clockspeed same as the regular Switch in handheld mode. They're not gonna spend however much money to have Nvidia create entirely new components

They've changed something about the chip which is supposed to give the Lite a slightly better battery life.

E: though this might be based on pre-announcement speculation

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 11, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah this isn't some custom Tegra, it's the same chip without the cooling. I'd be surprised if it even had a fan.

I like the size and the resulting DPI increase, but I'm not expecting a ton from that display at that price. Definitely gonna blow up the library though god dammit why sony this kingdom could be yours

Sony have commitment issues

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

All vitas can be hacked

Well, as long as the firmware isn't too new, right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

IMHuO, as a 1000 owner, the 2000 is the better looking system

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My oled Vita had weird splotches on the screen that would show up in a dark room when the screen was mostly dark. It was very weird :iiam:

Think that's true of almost all 1000s/most OLEDs from that era.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Motherfuckers

I hacked my Vita but was holding off on a free weekend to do the PSTV. Oh well!

i think this'll only affect you if you upgrade to this new official firmware

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the microusb fit is also the most finicky

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's not a good port, as evidenced by Vibration still being in the options menu

wow

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

since i bungled it last time i tried. do i need to install content manager (or an alternative) on the pc i'll be using to upgrade the vita?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

got it! :sotw:

couldn't get FinalHE to work, but auto.h-encore did.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wow, if it weren't for the fact that the GBA had a 3:2 screen, and not 16:9 (as I had thought) this would make a perfect impression of an OLED GBA. I forgot how loving great the screen is.

I'm using the PSP GBA emulator because I heard the Vita native ones are crap. So if we ever get native res PSP emulation, we might get better pixel scaling options because as is the only possible integer multiples are 2x and 4x (which is just slightly too big because of the aspect ration difference).

e:man, why did this system have to fail?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 18, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Am I reading this right in that you're using a GBA emulator inside Adrenaline, and it works perfectly? I've been using a Wii to play GBA games on the TV, but if PSTV -> Adrenaline -> GBA looks and runs better, I am extremely interested.

I haven't tested it extensively but it seems pretty good. Main issue is scaling. Like I said, you're stuck with a 2x or 4x image (or stretched), neither of which is great.

mGBA, a native emulator, offers 3x scaling, which is the ideal size (any bigger and you're stretching pixels or the image is too big to fit on screen). I heard it had some problems with some games and I noticed more sound hiccups than with gpSP (the Adrenaline emulator), but I think the image size trumps that for me.

gpSP also has better button remapping.

--

Much as I love the system, I never liked the position of the face buttons. Think they should be lower.

E: yeah after using it more, the audio is a big problem with mGBA

E2:i figured out a way of getting 3x with gpSP, though it's not the most elegant solution. Choose the unscaled 3:2 display setting in gpSP's options. Keep the scale at 100. Then in Adrenaline's settings (long press the PS button) set the screen scale to 3 in both axes. You need to set a graphics filter because otherwise the scaling is ignored for some reason. Luckily "sharp bilinear without scanlines" seems to be almost neutral.

Doing this will blow up the gpSP ui to the point you won't be able to see half of it, but you don't need to really access it once you have everything set up (and you can change the Adrenaline scaling if you really need it).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 18, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i forgot how insane sony was with holding your ability to keep saves hostage behind the psplus paywall. it was not a $250 console. cfw allows for save management, but i hear local backups aren't without issue.

any recommended sub $10 vita grips? i get a bit of a rash holding the vita too long. my skin must be sensitive to one of the materials.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

could someone explain why homebrew gpu acceleration on the vita has remained elusive? it's not just from a lack of interest, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Minidust posted:

Welp, definitely adding those to my bookmarks... cheers!! :cheers:

e: so I've got the PSP Homebrew Browser and Adrenaline set up now. Could I actually buy PSP games that didn't make it to the Vita Store this way? Like I actually found "Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play" and was able to add it to my cart. I'm totally willing to pay the :10bux: for this, just wanna be sure there's no downside to messing with what's supposed to be a non-Vita title (other than the need to go through Adrenaline to play it). But I can't imagine Sony would go after me for going out of my way to give them money.

not sure how you'd download it. i don't think sony allows for game backups anymore (like they did with MediaGo).

alternatively you could buy it and then :filez: it from elsewhere.