Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
So who else is excited for Cyber Sleuth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Super No Vacancy posted:

who has a good summary of how digimon games differ from pokemon games or specifically how the new one differs from the last gen of pokemon

I haven't played one in years but from what I remember they skew slightly older so the basic gameplay is more complex. More like traditional RPGs, storylines, dungeons etc? but with monster teammates, also digimon can talk

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Thanks, that was neat! It's cool that they decided to focus this time on a game that would appeal to older folks, a lot of people overseas especially lost touch with the franchise so it's a nice opportunity to reconnect.

Also, you can tell it was originally developed for the vita, all right:

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

noirstronaut posted:

Should I train myself to give a gently caress about digimon

I hear CS is good, but the other games while they were fun at the time are probably too old to bother with. The only other recent one they've brought was some dud battler. If CS sells well though we might get the newest one too which is also looking good.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Mithaldu posted:

I've seen lots of fluff about Cybersleuth, but what is the gameplay actually?

Turn-based RPG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZx96i1dNw

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
If Daidouji is in Uppers I will definitely buy it, I'm not a huge Senran or action games fan but sukeban girls are great and should be in everything, & playable IMO

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Takoluka posted:

She will be $5.99 DLC and only playable in Free Mode.

I will put her on the altar with Miku

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Junpei Hyde posted:

I honestly find the disconnect to be hilarious.

Yeah it reminds me of any "super spy" or whatever movies where the highly trained professionals end up just slap-fighting like the teenage girls they are

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 2, 2016

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Super No Vacancy posted:

nyaaan

is there a meaningful difference between twintails and pigtails. please advise ty

Twintails usually refers to a high placement while pigtails are usually lower

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Takoluka posted:

What's the failure rate on the 64GB? I've heard horror stories, and it's the only thing that makes me go "Eeeehhhhhhhhhhhh" about it.

never had a single problem with mine, but of course that's a sample of 1

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Welp, that game is never coming west

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

MisterAlex posted:

That's clearly not the same since touch controls are not available on PS TV, hence the limited game compatibility. It's also a separate, more expensive purchase than just getting a cable to plug into one's already-bought Vita. The ability (as with the PSP) to simply unplug and continue playing—not to mention save file consistency—is not afforded by the PS TV.

So no, they didn't. :v:

It was a joke, buddy

RIP PSTV :negative:

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Saoshyant posted:

Reminder that Setsuna's Vita version is atrocious and they are doing you a favor by not making you waste your money on it. We are talking hard crashes due to memory leaks and constant slowdown on everything including interacting with menus.

This is also probably a big factor in Nights of Azure vita not coming over. I haven't heard of it being as bad as that, but considering the amount of complaints people have about framerate in the vita versions of Gust's turn-based games, I can't imagine framerate drops on an action game on a tiny screen are worth it, even though I don't want to wait until I get a PS4 to play it :(

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Sakurazuka posted:

It actually runs pretty well on the Vita, they just had to scale it back til it looks like a PSP game to do it.

Ahh, bummer. I dunno I might just pick it up & play in Japanese if I have the cash, but at that point I might have enough to just drop on a PS4 anyway hmm. I know they aren't state of the art or anything but I do love the visuals on their games so I do appreciate the bigger screen.

Edit: My favorite vocaloid song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shNgOFTla-c

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 16, 2016

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Mithaldu posted:

Yoru no nai Kuni looks and plays like this on the vita:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tndNV_y95g8&t=351s

The main problem is that they were either unwilling or unable to compromise on the graphics effects and model quality, and just settled with mediocre framerate and lower resolution instead, saving money on dev time.

Yeah it doesn't look unplayable but it does look like it would be annoying as heck

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Saoshyant posted:

I like this album enough that I actually want to buy it. It seems to be available only in this store that doesn't ship outside Japan, so if any of you actually knows what the best way to get my hands on it I'm all ears. There's a forwarding service called something like... Tenzo? Worth using?

Tenso, I've used it plenty & it's very reliable. It's good if you don't need help ordering and just need a place to send it to. If you actually need someone to order for you (can't read jp, need a jp credit card or bank transfer etc.) you can use a buying service of which there are several. I usually use a smaller agent who isn't taking new customers at the moment but a number of my friends use From Japan (especially for auctions etc.) Also I've bought WebMoney before from SuToCorp which was fine and looks like they have a buying service now.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Saoshyant posted:

Do you know if that's the case with toranoana site? Or if I have to do some of the more crazier things that you mentioned like having someone in Japan buy it for me or exchange my currency for JPY?

I've never shopped there myself but looks like just Tenso might be fine: http://www.toranoana.jp/info/shop/tenso/english.html

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I have the white/light blue vita, it is lovely

Also yeah Zero Escape is more of a thriller than a horror series, despite the whole murder thing

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
People's opinions differ on what is bad voice acting, but lol if you prefer no game to bad acting

My worst case scenario though is when I hate half the cast in both audio tracks

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Dubs are getting better lately, I dunno it's not that they use the same actors all the time but that a lot of the actors they use (or directors) just aren't very good? The talent pool has definitely gotten better but there seems to always be that couple of characters that stand out in a bad way and bring the whole cast down. Ex. the VLR dub is quite good but who the gently caress casted/directed Alice because not only is her voice slightly off, she constantly uses the wrong emotion, misses cues, & it even sounds like her volume levels are off

vv
Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't prefer it to the jp, but I thought Luna, Dio were decent and Phi/Tenmyouji were different takes that were alright

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 26, 2016

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Anyway it comes up sometimes but one of the major reasons English dubs suck in comparison IMO is that they do asynchronous recording with not enough context, whereas in jp the actors usually record together and get to actually play off each other. I'm guessing that would be not only more expensive but also more difficult when you're filling in with random non-union actors from wherever like happens a lot to save costs

That said there is high quality English voice acting done async but IIRC it's usually done for higher budget stuff or TV series where you'd have at minimum storyboarding & tons of context

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Saoshyant posted:

Probably those people have more experience than family members and/or random people grabbed out of the street.

I mean, this one is legendary in its badness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

But anyway:

always a classic.

But yeah though there's nothing wrong with pulling those people in I'd guess that a lot of cheap VA just don't have that much acting experience in general. Happy medium might be trying to pull stage actors, who presumably already have decent articulation and volume (IIRC this is what they did with Xenoblade)

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Baal posted:

Also just as an fyi, most voice actors have done stage acting at some point or another. Laura Bailey was a stage actor for quite a while, it's very rare you get someone whose only acting experience is voice acting, Steve Blum is one of the few people with no acting experience and is one of the most prolific voice actors in America now.

Oh sure, but you're talking about some of the best in the biz though. There's definitely plenty of early 20-somethings whose acting experience consists of voice acting workshops and roles in small market commercials

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

The White Dragon posted:

well if you go down the sidestreets, the shady-rear end shops that aren't indicated from the street definitely aren't targeted at tourists

nakano did have a more fun selection though imo

Yeah Nakano is so chill, I definitely prefer it there. I wouldn't say Akiba is mostly tourist focused but that it's just... very, very busy

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Welp, time for me to find some cash.

Also I've finally gotten around to Escha+ since I abandoned my PS3 save & it came out on the vita. I'm not super far in but I'd say it runs better than the Arland games? Like they're all playable but I haven't noticed much in Escha+ at all to annoy me. I'm having a lot of fun checking off my assignments and jamming to the music :3: I've been putting off replaying Ayesha since I got most of the endings my first time around but I'm really feeling back in the groove now & might just go right back to it after.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Mithaldu posted:

I love that art style and hope they carry it on ingame. Also for some reason the center dude makes me think "Atlas Shrugged".

I really like it but dunno how much we'll see of it in-game. VLR was mostly the 3D models and the 3D looks even better this time around.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Oreshika is really interesting, it's not my favorite or anything but I haven't really played much of anything like it. I imagine if it hooks you that you could spend quite a lot of time with it, & it has a number of different settings to basically give you the playtime you want out of it. I got about 10-15 out of it before I got bored which isn't bad at all at its pricepoint.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
To be fair I hadn't played a Tales game in a long time and I was pretty annoyed at the beginning of Hearts R, the localization team does a lot of punching up the dialogue which can be hit or miss and is even more awkward without a dub track

That said it does get better pretty quick

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I play as a cuter version of myself

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Takoluka posted:

Of all the images of Chihaya, they chose the one that looks the least like Chihaya.

Yeah it looks more like Umi or any number of randos than Chihaya

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Super No Vacancy posted:

there's a new ps4 one but none of u dopes will answer my questions about it

buy me a ps4 and I'll tell u all about it

I don't think any of the games other than shiny festa on iOS have ever had an english version tho?

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
takane is a queen, excuse you

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Mostly a good post but there's plenty of idols who aren't AKB48 or random amateurs either. Lots of them are in small to middling agencies/labels like the ones in Idolm@ster & make their money off concerts & modeling, with occasional TV performances. People like to talk about the business being shady and weird but actual idols, like 2D idols, are mostly cool and fun people

As far as idol portrayals go, Cinderella Girls, Wake Up Girls, and Locodol are some of the more realistic idol animes I've seen

edit: also obviously "school idols" are not a real thing like in Love Live but there's actually stuff like Unidol, which is a competition for university idol dance cover groups

slightly more on topic: a cool article about Chihaya & how Idolm@ster handles depression https://killscreen.com/articles/idolmster-and-the-mechanics-of-depression/

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 2, 2016

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Takoluka posted:

Yeah, it was pretty generalized, and I left a lot of stuff out. Maybe an A/T thread could be in the works?

I actually haven't watched CG, but WUG and Locodol are accurate enough. Not 100% but a decent look into that sort of thing.

Man, I could literally talk about idols all day but I'm not sure if anyone who doesn't already know about them cares enough for a thread?

Yeah there isn't anything super accurate out there but those are pretty good. CG has the problem of being full of really wacky characters but the scenarios tend to be more realistic than the main Idolm@ster anime. I also haven't read/watched myself, but according to some interviews Million Doll is supposed to be a more detailed look at underground idol & fan culture in Shibuya. For the comedy option, I'd recommend AKB0048 over Xenoglossia if you want sci-fi idols, it's very well done and does a good job capturing the grassroots support between idols and fans kind of thing

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Also far as VNs, Code: Realize seemed to review well if she likes romance stuff.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I mean, I'll buy the argument there may be some things they do well with the gay valkyries game, but fella you keep posting really bad pics of it in that case

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I mean... they could always announce a surprise PC/PS4 port.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
It looks kinda good, very different from Akiba's Trip but might be fun.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

I know the psn avatar system is loving stupid but saw someone streaming on a ps4 with dagonronpa 2 avatar, any way to get those? Wanna get that cat hoodie girl but forgot her name

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ADANGANRO000016

have to change it on ps3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Alder posted:

64GB since there's tons of games that only have a digital release and since you don't plan on buying physical games you're going to run out of space sooner or later.

Yeah honestly I've managed to fill a 64GB fairly easily. It depends on what kind of games you want to play, but if you're looking at RPGs (like Atelier), especially ones without physical releases, it can fill up pretty fast. Even old PSX RPGs can take up a fair bit of space.