Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Memory cards are expensive as gently caress. 16gb is like £35. If you're bargain hunting look for the ones that come bundled with some game downloads, there's usually a couple of decent ones included to soften the blow.

Fair warning, there's basically no point in getting a 32Gb card over importing a 64Gb card from Japan. They're roughly the same price over here in the UK.

As for PS+, the games have been nowhere near as good recently as it used to be, but if you're planning on getting a PS3 or PS4 as well I would recommend getting Plus solely for the cloud save feature. Do note that the PS+ requirement to play online only applies to the PS4, the Vita's online is free.

Anora posted:

looking at that shop, how is Disgaea 4? I liked the first one, but I heard they get worse as time goes on.

A return to form story-wise, plus the Vita version adds a tonne of quality of life improvements from the later games. If you liked the first Disgaea way back when, you'll probably enjoy Disgaea 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Slur posted:

Never played the games beyond 1. What made 3 exceptionally bad?

Unlike-able characters and generally bad story, basically.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Waltzing Along posted:

Gotta say Uncharted: GA has some incredible graphics. Are these the best the system offers?

Liking the game, other than the shooting sections and the pointless plot. But the rest is okay.

I'll say Killzone is better graphically.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Junpei Hyde posted:

I was thinking maybe Valkyrie Drive? I don't know any of the characters from that though.

I would be very surprised if it was Valkyrie Drive, since that decision would have been made way before the game's release. I'd expect him to pick from a known property, and preferably one in which he won't have to pay licensing costs. Besides, Daidouji would fit in very well in Uppers, far better than any of the Valkyrie Drive characters (or, indeed, anyone else from Senran Kagura).

Takoluka posted:

I just want that jerk to work on Half-Minute Hero 3 instead of focusing so much on boobs.

...I could have sworn that Half Minute Hero 3 was already a thing that existed (albeit unlocalized), but Google is telling me that I'm wrong.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

ImpAtom posted:

They did a Half-Minute Hero 1 pseudo-remake which is probably what you're thinking of.

Nah, I distinctly recall some talk of more Half Minute Hero around the time of the Steam launch of HMH2 depending on that doing well (spoilers: it didn't), with the implication of Half Minute Hero 3 being a thing that exists. Now that I've bothered to Google for it, all I've found is stuff on the Hero 3 mode from the original. So, guess I'm wrong. :shrug:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So, did we just hit peak vita thread?

That is a pretty spectacular bug you've found there.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Policenaut posted:

I'm glad to hear that Bamco is making more of an effort to redeem Extreme VS Force. Normally they would simply let the game rot instead!

I recall they threw a bunch of free DLC at Ray Gigant after it got a less-than-warm reception.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Waltzing Along posted:

When Sony has put out a hosed up Vita patch in the past, how long has it taken them to unfuck it?

Or am I just hosed?

I actually can't recall any previous Vita updates duff enough to get a Kotaku article after its release. With that said, I would expect a bug-fix patch soonish (as in, before the end of February).

As for the battery drain, apparently the primary reason is that the Vita no longer disconnects from Wifi once connected, so the workaround for now would be to switch it off when you're not using it.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Policenaut posted:

Guys, stop shouting at each other! We're getting Shiren the Wanderer 5 Plus overseas!

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/shiren-wanderer-5-plus-coming-north-america-july-26

Yeah, I was wondering what Aksys was up to, since their slate of upcoming stuff was empty. Good news on multiple fronts. :toot:

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

HGH posted:

It's weird, I never thought of Japanese games operating so much off of preorder sales like that. Kinda reminds me of SpaceBaseDF9 minus the scam part.

The sales of otaku stuff tends to be mostly pre-orders. Kinda like AAA games. :v:

With that said, I can't think any other case of a game getting delayed due to low pre-orders. I suspect that they're kicking it into the next financial year to not blot a decent fiscal report. Don't be too surprised if the new release date winds up being early May.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

RanKizama posted:

I disagree. I find the goofy light shines and object censors give it a more humorous appeal than anything. It''s weird, but I've never really found the Senran Kagura games to be really sexy. I like that it kind of skirts the edge but maintains a more comical approach. When the Estival Versus OVA aired last year, I was actually disappointed in the fact that it took that extra step and just had blatant nudity in it. It kind of ruined that playful charm the series has.

On the flip side of that coin, the Valkyrie Drive anime pulled out all the stops and it's nothing more than Queen's Blade level of smut. The game seems okay though.

I suspect that's due to the differences in restrictions over there. Unless it has explicit penetration, you can get a TV channel to show your anime. Console games are far more restrictive. For example, I can't recall anything that showed a woman's nipple get a CERO rating. The bodge job on the Japanese version of The Witcher 3 to cover up the ladies in some of the sex scenes is hilarious.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

To be more accurate, Trails in the Sky 3rd has a character who played a supporting role in the second game as the main character and it sets up plot threads for Zero and Ao as well as expand on the backstories of the cast of Trails in the Sky, such as some of Joshua and Estelle's early interactions and growing up together, Olivier's interactions with Osborne which becomes important for Cold Steel and Renne's backstory which becomes important in Zero.

The actual main plot arc of Trails in the Sky ends with SC though.

I would expect Cold Steel 3 to be a similar side story.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
In importing news, it appears that Amazon.co.jp now ships games overseas. Requires a separate account and applies only to stuff that are sold by Amazon themselves, but they do accept foreign cards. Absolutely mega news for importers, since they're quick to discount stuff.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Mithaldu posted:

Now we can buy lots of Miku CDs. :haw:

Edit: It looks like shipping to germany is somewhere inbetween 1000-1500 YEN, currently 8-12€.

Apparently, they've been allowing CDs and books to be import for about a decade, so uh yeah. Still, fill yer boots.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is proteus any good for the vita? It looks like a cool concept but I dunno

It's a game where you wander around a pretty island. That's pretty much it. I got bored of it inside twenty minutes. Thankfully, it was a PS+ title, otherwise I'd be asking for my money back.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Policenaut posted:

Really? What can you tell me about it? I was planning on picking up it, NecroDancer, and some other stuff but instead I went and got Dariusburst and double dipped on Hot Shots Golf.

Nuclear Throne's performance dies a death in the later stages. It's also very prone to crashing.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 14, 2016

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Policenaut posted:

Also some company I've never heard of is localizing One Way Heroics, as outed by the Australian game rating board.

Active Gaming Media is the corporate name of Playism. Which makes a lot of sense, considering they localised the original One Way Heroics.

Mithaldu posted:

Haven't a drat clue, though it happens only when i'm downloading a game, not at other times.

Yeah, known issue with pretty much all of PSN's downloads.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

MisterAlex posted:

So I've been doing some trawling on Craigslist for cheap Vita games... if I see Senran Kagura: Estival Versus (which I believe is the newest one) for $20, that should be worth getting, right? :v:

I'll expect that to be a Japanese version. I don't think people will be offloading their $50 games that quickly for that cheap.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

MisterAlex posted:

Actually, it's a mom who wasn't happy to find out about the game. So I'm guessing it also comes with a free disapproving look.

...fair enough. Worst case scenario, you should still be able to flip it for a profit.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

MisterAlex posted:

So I didn't die (yay!), and I think y'all are going to get a kick out of this... as you can see from the photo of my car seat, I got all of the extra pack-ins and the original box:

The lady from the ad met me on her way home from work as well, and get this... she is a local police officer, and she was actually still in her uniform and everything (heck no, I didn't ask to take a picture). She apologized for the game case and said that it was what had tattled on her son who's "still in middle school and not old enough for this kind of game yet."
She'd found the dog chewing up the plastic case. :haw:

:haw: But yeah, good deal. Box damage sucks, but getting a week old near full price release for :20bux: is good going regardless.

MisterAlex posted:

I haven't decided yet what to do with them; for the moment they're in my Animal Crossing card binder. How many are there in total?

Apparently, six packs of ten cards each. There's a good chance that Xseed will sell these packs seperately, considering two of said packs are so rare they might as well not have bothered printing them.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

£30 has been the standard price for a handheld game for decades, though.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Txn posted:

It is? I really should pay attention to prices in other countries.

If anything, this current handheld generation had prices usually start out at £35. It's good to see that it's gone down as we enter the tail end of this handheld generation, though.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Motto posted:

XSEED is full of Falcom fans, and one of them expressed a desire to localize Tokyo specifically, so it'll probably happen at some point.

Plus the Eurogamer interview with the Falcom head had him basically say "yes" to Tokyo getting localized, so it's a sure bet. I'm expecting it to be in the now traditional pre-E3 announcement blitz that Xseed does.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So Valkyrie Drive is hosed? :ohdear:

If Senran Kagura can get past Fox News' radar, Valkyrie Drive will probably be OK. Hell, the anime is legally available (for streaming) in the US and UK (since Funimation got that license) and that's far worse for all the definitions of "worse" you wish to apply. Still not a peep from the media.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Super No Vacancy posted:

did they announce a localization or hong kongilization of the new idolmaster game yet

If by "Hong Kongilization" you mean "Chinese localization", then yes, that was confirmed for the new Idolmaster game. :v:

Nothing on the English front (yet)

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

RanKizama posted:

People here like Shantae, right? Well here ya go.

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/738431862624772096
Physical "Risky Beats" Edition will be $29.99 and comes with a soundtrack.

XSEED also announced they'll release a side-scroller called Exile's End for the Vita, as well as Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity for the PS4.

I suspect the Shantae deal is of the "printing discs" variety, since Wayforward kickstarted it years ago. Interesting that it's the Xbone version that's getting passed over. (Speculation: Xseed hasn't signed up with Microsoft to do Xbone publishing. Which is a bit weird, since they published a couple of games on the 360).

As for the other two: Exile's End is Marvelous, and is already out on PC in English (it sold horribly), and Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity seems to be the only localization announced here.

It's interesting the Exile's End managed to get prioritized ahead of Valkyrie Drive or Tokyo Xandau (although from Xseed's perspective, it's probably substantially less work).

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That is massively underwhelming.

Tom's back on NeoGAF, and he's already teasing outright stating that there's more to come.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Super No Vacancy posted:

is XSEED a good twitter to harass to get someone to localize EXTELLA and SNAFU and idolmaster and punchline

Extella is a Marvelous game, and it's rumored that Xseed is already working on it. SNAFU I believe is also Marvelous, but I doubt anyone's interested. Punchline sounds more like NISA's wheelhouse, and Bamco is not going to let anyone else touch Idolmaster.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/NISAinEurope/status/746025051317805056

Weird, I'd expected Marvelous Europe to handle the european release given they're a sister branch of XSEED.

NISA did EU duty for Cold Steel 1, so that's not a surprise. I am surprised that Marvelous Europe isn't doing more of Seed's stuff in general, although the impression I've gotten is that they've been burnt by Corpse Party 3.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

What do you mean?

Bad sales. I think they still have a bunch of LEs in stock.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Worth noting that ShopTo listed Senran Kagura Estival Versus as published by pQube, so it's probably Marvelous Europe with pQube handling post-release distribution.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Last Window, Michgan: Report From Hell, Ape Academy 2.

That being said, like 0 chance of XSEED not handling a US release if any localisation happens at all.
Absolute worst case scenario, pQube themselves will release a US version.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
And in the other side of the Pacific, Valkyrie Drive joins the September Japanese game mosh pit, getting a 16th September release date. And yes, there's a special edition.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

XSEED fully intends to port to PC every game they localize from now on and find increasingly risky retail releases

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-09-09-no-fan-left-behind

I really dislike how everyone seems to think Xseed made any comment about retail console releases in that article. They didn't: Marvelous Europe made the retail comments.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Minidust posted:

PS4 Pro is supposed to improve remote play to PCs. Has there been any info on Vita remote play? Or would there simply not be anything to improve since we're talking about a sub-1080p screen anyway?

No change. Makes sense, considering that I don't think they're going to bother with 900p.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Odd, I was sure Marvelous Europe would handle this one for sure

https://twitter.com/PQubeGames/status/790858296131551232

At this point, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turned out that Marvelous Europe has been sold to pQube.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dehry posted:

As long as you're not on a PSTV there's going to be a steady stream quite possibly until 2018. There's enough announced next year that the Japanese to English translation process wouldn't finish until then if everything just stopped.

The store is so tightly integraded with the PS3 store though that they might pull it whenever that is no longer profitable.

Yeah, I can't see the games stopping much before 2018, largely because that's when I expect most of the Japanese Vita support to conclude, and switch platforms to the, uh, Switch. Then, there would be some time for localisation work, which means I wouldn't be too surprised if we still get Vita games semi-regularly in 2019 as well.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Txn posted:

I know that Falcom games are worth the full price, I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to buy them at full price and suddenly get a heavy discount afterwards. I hate when that happens.

Thanks!

Fair warning: while Xseed tends to be fairly tight when it comes to sales, NISA is not. Don't be too surprised if Cold Steel 2 gets a 30%+ discount on the EU PSN store before the end of the year.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dehry posted:

No Cyber Monday memory card deals :(

Also the 8GB used is now over MSRP used at gamestop unless you pay for the Pro membership.

At this point, when it comes to memory cards it's import a 64Gb card or nothin'. Hell, when it comes to Vita hardware in the US, it's already import or nothin'.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Policenaut posted:

The PS4 version still has plenty of copies so I'm guessing NISA just isn't producing as many of the Vita version's. They haven't completely cut off pre-orders yet so I guess there's still some left in that 0-5% left bracket.

Turned out that NISA assumed that basically nobody wanted the Vita LE, so when they were proven wrong they converted a bunch of PS4 LEs to Vita LEs (read: they're now making more cardboard Vita box holders than planned), and now both are back up past the 50% stock mark.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/RiceDigital/status/834808030403391488

If you have 30 bucks to spare, you can buy the extra goodies of RD's Limited Editions on their own.

I think getting the whole thing, game and all would be better though.

Incidentally, they're still selling versions of the LEs including the game for all games pictured, for an extra £10 for the PS3 and Vita versions and an extra £15 for PS4 versions.

Although, to be fair, I thought three printings of the Valkyrie Drive special edition was taking the piss, so I'm not surprised that they're selling the extras seperately.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Watch them de-confirm, re-confirm and de-confirm again the Vita version. Again.

Rising Star Games? Calling bullshit on this listing. If anyone's going to localise that, it's pQube.