Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Crabtree posted:

So how is Stranger in Sword City? I don't usually like dungeon crawlers like that, but for some reason I liked Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters so anything's possible if it presents itself right.

I really liked it. It's got more challenge than the other Experience games on Vita because of the permadeath system, the class changing is fun once you work it out and the interface is really good. People who don't like Experience's brand of dungeon crawlers usually do so because the dungeons themselves aren't as intricate as some others, and the combat system tends to be either "set it and forget it" attritional battles that you blow through instantly by skipping everything or boss battles where you have to pay attention without much inbetween, but I found blasting through enemies I'd fought a lot before to be fun. I can't see it convincing you if you aren't already in the mood for a first person grid-based dungeon crawler though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I get that error fairly often when doing an update from the Livearea screen (might be a different one, I can't remember the code exactly). It always installs the patch properly in spite of it so I've not been too stressed. It doesn't happen if I let it download then install by starting a game.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Shallie Plus runs OK so far; it's no better or worse than the other Plus ports. That means loading is still nice and quick, which is the thing that really matters in these games IMO. I've had an odd bug though - sometimes I'll go into an area and there'll be some polygon corruption, the same kind that you get with a dying graphics card on a PC. It just seems to cause the framerate to drop further and make it hard to see stuff (I even went through a couple of fights with it happening and though it paused a couple of times it didn't crash out) and closing and reloading is quick enough but it's happened about 4 times in the 23 or so hours I've played and only after being kept on with suspend mode for a couple of days.

Edit: I finished Sophie not long after release and I did feel disappointed, though I still enjoyed playing through to platinum and the PS4 version ran great. Coming from the Dusk series half of the characters were awful looking potato headed freaks, the crafting system felt like too much of a compromise to really work with its central idea, there were almost no vocal songs in the soundtrack (though the other themes were excellent), the map felt really small (while the stamina thing they had going on never made any difference - another half-implemented idea) and there was only one and a bit endings with absolutely no reason to restart. It felt kind of 80% finished and 80% funded in the same way Nights of Azure does. At least we know there'll be another Atelier coming soon to build on that, and I'm sure they'll get it right next time.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 20, 2016

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Megalixir posted:

Re-confirmed the complaints of Sophie with a friend earlier today: it's apparently a good game which lacks in the writing department and doesn't have a sense of progression, also because there's no time allotment system you can just grind early on and get the best gear within 10 hours (may or may not be a good thing). In Shallie there's a cap on how strong you can make your gear early on.

Good to hear Shallie on Vita runs nicely though.

There's a time system in that day turns to night and there's a seven day week which means they can put a time limit on the sub-quests again - it just makes relatively little difference as you go through the game. You can pass time freely if you need stuff that spawns at night in the field (though time passes pretty quick as you're gathering and fighting anyway) and the days of the week only make an actual appreciable difference in one place.

It's got a lot of nice ideas in it (things like buying rumours from shops, the recipe unlock progression, the way everyone can use items to an extent but they're limited by their aptitude, the idea of having a different kind of stamina to make visiting the limits of the field you've unlocked more challenging, variations in areas depending on the time of day/week, the ability to give gifts to people who will then give you other gifts depending on how much they liked what you gave them in the first place) but it just doesn't really come together in the end. I think it is because there's maybe even less of a through line in the story than usual as it seems like you spend all your time advancing someone else's story rather than doing something directly relevant to Sophie herself to bring it all together. Or if there is I've forgotten it.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Wamdoodle posted:

Ooo. Trip report on Gundam Vs please. :f5:

Someone else but I got this the other day. They've added in arcade and free CPU versus modes now so there's plenty of stuff to do after playing through and the only thing it lacks system-wise is the kakusei modes, though the mobile suit selection is reduced. Good fun for a handheld game but it probably won't be much use as training for the arcade - which is probably Bamco's intention. Note that there's no online either, only ad-hoc multi.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I tried the Toukiden demo. It's quite choppy and the graphics are massively downgraded from the original. Fighting the large gaki with three CPU members has the game really struggling.

The open world is an interesting idea but I'm finding it hard to see that much point in it when you can still just get missions from the quest desk anyway. The claw grab thing is just as fiddly as it was in the PS4 version too. I like how the bow feels though, and they beefed up the mitama system with lots of selectable and upgradable skills. The artwork is still excellent but the in game graphics are definitely no longer top tier for Vita.

Edit: in fairness, the PS4 version doesn't run great either.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 24, 2016

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Szurumbur posted:

The new Atelier games, the ones on the PS4/PSvita - is there a significant difference between the platforms, or is it mostly Cyber Sleuth situation, in which the Vita version is the basis and at most you'll get a more stable framerate and upscaling for an infated price?

The second one. Sophie ran better than the Dusk trilogy on Vita but the PS4 version is a mostly fixed 60 and much nicer looking. The environments definitely seem downgraded compared to Dusk though, I suppose because they're designing them for Vita from the start.

I filled in the Toukiden survey on the Koei site and I actually ended up complaining a lot more than I thought I would.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Megalixir posted:

Does anyone know if the Diva X controller works with Future Tone? It's about 18k shipped from Amazon which is actually a pretty decent price considering all things

Future Tone lets you rebind anything to anything so it'l work - I suspect the best way to configure it would be to have left, right, square and circle meet the four face buttons and have the four buttons above and below work as sliders, or you could use the sticks as it's not a gigantic controller. I've been trying to get the hang of the bizarre button layout (seriously, did these people never play DDR? It should be square, cross, triangle, circle not triangle, square, cross, circle!) by using an arcade stick and it's working pretty well, especially on hold notes.

Also everything just became about 15% more expensive, depending on how this all plays out. Panic bought a couple of PSN cards as the Visa rate's still showing as the one from last night.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I've just been thinking about picking it up - reviews online seem really good. I'm all for silly gimmicky stuff like 40 person parties too. My main problem with EO is that the automapping still requires me to get the stylus out so if Niinou is saying it's great then I'll definitely grab it once I've finished SMT4F.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Whoa, didn't realise it was a week on Thursday for new Ys. Fantastic! 40 hours sounds like a lot, might need to rely on the later PS4 release to transfer saves and finish it, assuming they don't do a Tokyo Xanadu and block it off behind an upgrade.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I've managed to get about an hour in and it sure is Adol no Kiseki so far.

*camera choppily pans for 30 seconds across blocky landscape* Haha! That girl dropped her towel in front of Adol! Whoops!!!

I'm sure it'll get better, but still.

edit: Actually, make that "Ys of Cold Steel" for accuracy.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 21, 2016

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Cake Attack posted:

Ok but does dogi drop his towel? Gotta ask the important questions here

He punched a barrel to save a kid, levitated for a second or two and then slowly floated down into the ocean.

Again, I'm sure it'll get better. I must be getting old though, I don't think Tokyo Xanadu's cutscenes were as badly animated as that, terrible idol performance aside. I got to play that more in the first hour too.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
So far it runs OK in battle, pretty much 30fps so far, but when I've been running around in other places or watching cutscenes it's pretty choppy. They've put in a dynamic resolution system but it seems slow on the uptake so it'll be choppy, then get a bit better as everything becomes blurry. The initial load when you start up is a solid 30 seconds though it seems OK going between areas.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I take back what I said about the framerate in Ys VIII - running around outdoors it seems to be closer to 20 than 30. The areas are mostly incredibly small too so you're hitting loading screens constantly. You get fast travel, though, so that's something.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

SpacePig posted:

How are the load times themselves? I don't mind frequent loads if they're at least also quick, but Vita's pretty notorious for having lovely load times.

The initial load is about 30 seconds but the others are a few seconds. A bit longer if there's a cutscene. Once you get away from the hub the frequency seems to go down but I've not come across a 'big' area yet. Still early days, though.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I've been playing more Ys today. It's actually very good once they let you play it. There's plenty of stuff to keep you busy with side quests and fishing already; I understand there's upgrading your base and finding survivors of the shipwreck (which then act as collectibles to get you past large objects that your three man party can't get around). There's also a rude parrot.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Saoshyant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wQXYy6Zjo4

1:50 minute long anime trailer for Demon Gazer 2. Clearly has higher budget than the original, but in turn it no longer has IA on vocals. Unacceptable.

It did in the initial reveal video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOIGzkDSzN8

Suspect that it's going to mostly be the usual cheesy sounding Experience music with a few extra tracks thrown in - don't expect a Gust soundtrack or anything. Doesn't sound as bad as the muzak-tastic Ray Gigant at least.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think I remember reading that DG2 will let you turn the vocaloid versions of songs on/off. That may have been a fever-dream.

Yeah, they let you do that since the Operation Abyss games at least. The trailer above has the message "the music has the vocals set to on" at one point.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Finished Ys VIII. Took me 45 hours in all, got 100% of the map and most of the other stuff. It really grew on me to the point where I might get the PS4 version next year and have a run through in Nightmare difficulty for the platinum. I don't see myself doing it on Vita as it gets a bit framey at times.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

In Training posted:

I missed some of the map stuff because I think I messed up some timed sidequests as I can't read or understand any Japanese but I still managed something like 95+%. I'll definitely buy it on PS4 if it gets localized

I'd missed a couple of the Etania quests but was able to collect them on my clear save and got to 100. The item you get is pretty good but by then I was able to simulate its effects pretty much using food and button mashing so I didn't end up using it for the brief time I had it.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I must admit, lack of Vita TV compatibility has made it fall right down the list of stuff I want to buy. I got Star Ocean 2 and have maybe managed to get five hours in because there's no way to play it on the big screen - there's not even a function to use cloud saves so buying the PS4 version isn't a fix either.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

the memos in demon gaze have been pretty awful, but i finally found someone with their head on straight

That's very tame compared to the Japanese ones, a tradition continued in the second game. Though the guy who would just write "Gaogaigar" all over the place seemed to have given up.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
While we're talking about something that I had to Google to understand, is anyone picking up SaGa this week? I'm probably going to give it a miss as it's a game without Vita TV compatibility going into the Christmas season but I'd love to hear what people think about it.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Thinking back, Ys VIII was probably my favourite game this year so definitely buy it when it arrives. I'll be buying and playing it through again when it arrives on PS4.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The sound quality was pretty bad too, things like the item collection music are played as low quality sound effects with a big pause while it pulled from UMD. The load times between areas were a good 30 seconds.

And the framerate was hideous. I remember an area that was basically a big pyramid staircase and it was barely playable. The game got delayed multiple times before release - I wonder what state it was in before that. It actually runs OK if you rip it to memory stick and push up the CPU clock but in 2006 it was awful.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The last time I messed around with PPSSPP I remember there being an option to simulate the access time of the UMD. I don't think it has drive noises so that wheeeeGAAACKKKKKKK when it access the drive for the first time in a while won't be there though.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I thought Orochi got a bit choppy - still playable though and there's a lot to do. Any of the Samurai Warriors 4 games will keep you happy as they're all super fast and I think they all run absolutely fine on the Vita.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I bought SaGa Scarlet Grace in the end. I'm enjoying it so far, as someone who hasn't really played a SaGa game before. It's easy to see what they're going for by cutting out things like traditional dungeons and town exploration; it's all been replaced by lots of different places you can go and just trigger stuff. The dialogue is enjoyable enough, and the music is wonderful. They paid for live instruments and it's a real treat on headphones.

I'm particularly enjoying the battle system. The infamous loading times aren't actually as big a deal as you think; I haven't had one go over about 10 seconds yet and mostly they're about 5. Animations are quick and clear so you get a good idea what's going on, everyone starts with enough skills that nobody I've had so far really feels generic, and the tactical/puzzle aspects of the timeline and chain attacks are a lot of fun. It's also nice to play a JRPG where characters falling in battle isn't just common, it's almost expected.

Will it end up being a slog? I'm genuinely not sure. I like wandering around and triggering battles and conversations so far, especially seeing the effects of doing that. It requires a lot more concentration than the JRPGs I've been playing lately so maybe the lack of Vita TV support isn't a complete disaster as I'd get more enjoyment out of it when I'm on my commute and able to give it my full attention. I dunno, it's weird but very systematic so I guess if you like the sound of that then give it a go!

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I'd be surprised if they couldn't access the network save functions they've been using so far.

But yeah, I do most of my JRPG gaming on public transport; it's fine for Fate GO or Granblue on my phone but I don't think it'd support Remote Play when even YouTube is spotty.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

HGH posted:

Oh yeah, since you're mentioning sales, Akiba's Beat came out this week and failed to rank anywhere, meaning sub 7K sales.
I don't get what they were going for turning it into a pseudo Tales game anyway.

Don't forget the fact that they removed all the real shops from it, made all the bystanders into silhouettes, made just enough changes to the Tales of Xillia battle controls to annoy you, made dungeons even less interesting looking than in Persona 3 and put it all on Unity so it looks and runs like blurry garbage on PS4 while they'll probably have to cancel the Vita version.

Complete disaster. Try the demo on PSN. There's no love for Akiba there anymore - they still have that building which has been undergoing renovations for years now fully open because they didn't update the base city data from AS2.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Super No Vacancy posted:

nuts i was hoping it would be a step forward for the series. guess i will spend my anime bux on fate/extella

I was thinking of that but that's been getting mixed reviews on Amazon and MK2. But then they want 8800 yen for the digital version of that so it was a bit too much to risk myself.

The main things I can see there is that people were expecting action closer to the previous games while they made it a musou-type game, and that the plot is very Nero-heavy. Plenty of people unhappy with the quality of the visuals too. I think the biggest telltale is that you can still get the limited edition with the mousepad for a big discount from the RRP.

edit: So I'm not just sounding really negative, I'm really enjoying Saga as a newcomer to the series. That game is getting very strong word of mouth. Reminds me of when I picked up Refrain earlier this year - that ended up being my favourite dungeon crawler of 2016 by some distance and it came out of nowhere from a team that had never done a DRPG before. Even Kazuya Niinou remarked about how he'd have to steal some ideas from it.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 21, 2016

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Valkyria Azure Revolution demo is on Japan PSN for PS4 today, Vita on Monday. It seems slow and bad.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Bizarre, I was trying to play that a week or so ago but it was refusing to load my save - it'd just hang at the title screen after pressing Start.

edit: tried reinstalling and it worked fine on my Vita TV. It's a bit rougher than I remember it being and the sound effects are just crazy loud.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 8, 2017

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I didn't think Exist archive was terrible or anything, but it sure was buggy. Felt really padded out too with the multiple endings and extra dungeon stuff. Typical recent Tri-Ace - some interesting ideas that didn't really work as a whole. The intro song was aggressively awful too.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I did too. It should have been clearer about the importance of setting roles properly and there was too much backtracking but it didn't outstay its welcome too much. Certainly miles better than the 4th game, which was just a big sprawling mess and used the one thing I liked about it, combat, as a punishment so much I ended up hating that too. Changing discs based on location like an Amiga game was maybe nostalgic in the wrong way, though.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
It's still set in Akihabara, but there isn't a single licensed shop there any more.

It's also a really bad, boring Tales of Xillia clone where they changed a bunch of the battle controls for no reason, filled with boring fetch quests between boring dungeons filled with irritating/boring characters which runs like poo poo on PS4, never mind Vita. There's a demo on PS4 on Japanese PSN, so if you have an account give it a try. There's a reason it's currently 1,426 yen new on PS4 though.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
One thing you might need to watch out for is if you use the PS Plus save backup, as there's only one slot per game. You can back up saves etc from a single Vita to your computer with Content Manager Assistant but it involves copying the entire game - you can't just keep the save file.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Personally, I'd go the other way. DT2 has some tempo issues (only partly fixed in the sequel - though they at least give you a battle log so you can see what just happened) but I like the dungeon design, the skill synergy, character development/classes, difficulty curve and most of all the soundtrack way more than Demon Gaze.

I do like Experience's little quality of life features, though - autopilot is something which every game like it should have (though the way it ignores spinners in Demon Gaze 2 is perhaps too far) and the note system produced more laughs than the game's writing did. I'd say my favourite of theirs on Vita would probably be the Operation series once I got used to the equipment system. Stranger of Sword City is nearly my favourite on the Vita because the character levelling and multiclassing is so fun to break, but the life point system made for a bit too much random bullshit resulting in resets and I'm still a random drop away from platinum. I was disappointed in Ray Gigant (incredibly easy, unsatisfying levelling/equipment system, didn't like any of the characters) and Demon Gaze 2 (didn't like the characters or plot, the music seems to be getting even worse, difficulty setting nearly as spiky as DG1) but I'm still looking forward to what they come out with next as more than anyone they seem to want to push things forward in the genre, even if it doesn't always work.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I'm actually playing through FC Evo right now. Olivier's Japanese voice actor is the best, and further proof that they should make the whole game about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I liked it more than Demon Gaze 2, mostly due to the map design, but a lot less than Dungeon Travelers 2, again mostly due to the maps but also the combat and surrounding systems. It's fast and the Unite system is nice and abusable but it does end up feeling a bit lightweight in that Experience way. It does still have some clunky legacy Wizardry stuff (spell levels/casts per level and an irritating equipment system are alleviated but not fixed from the original games it is based on). Did you enjoy the prequel? It's a direct sequel so it's not that different and if you haven't played that you'll probably miss a fair bit in terms of tutorials and stuff. If you haven't played the previous game then give Sword City a look - there was at least a demo of the Japanese version so hopefully there's one in English you can try.

One question on the series now that I think of it - how did they translate that one teacher into English? The one proper laugh I had in that was someone calling him a "fake-rear end gaijin" at one point. After the Unit 731 references and UNTRUSTWORTHY KOREAN CHARACTER #282736 it was nice to see a bit of self-awareness in the dialogue.

In other Experience news, Shi'In has a demo out. I was going to try it until I looked at the 4gamer preview article which featured a picture of some vine-related "erotic murder," to borrow the thread title. CERO D, everyone!

uiruki fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 18, 2017