Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The memory cards are not SD, they're super-overpriced proprietary bullshit. That is probably the worst thing about the system.

I'm not sure how many good games on the Vita are under $20 right now, but take a look at Bastion or Oddworld: New 'n Tasty if you never had a chance to play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Speaking of which what's a good vita platformer that isn't little big planet because the jumping in lbp is dogshit.

Shovel Knight
Guacamelee
Tearaway
Rayman Legends

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 24, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

let's not discuss muscular women again

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ddogflex posted:

Why do people skip over this when people say it? ToCS is rad. ToCS 2 will be rad 2.

There's no release date yet beyond "this year."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

let he who does not like a bad game, cast the first stone

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Midjack posted:

cool let's anime this thread right into the ground too

when you consider the path the Vita itself has taken, it's only appropriate

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

drat. Just so long as Severed, Iconoclasts, and Hyper Light Drifter are still on track.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bloodychill posted:

Muscle lady misogyny and constant anime shitposts got the last thread nuked. Why doesn't epitasis or The Colonel make an anime in games chat thread or or something?

talk about hopping into the closest dumpster

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SpacePig posted:

Is... Is this not already a dumpster?? I'm so confused.

I finally finished chapter 1 of Trails of Cold Steel last night, and I'm enjoying the progression in this one a bit more than in TitS, but the lack of grid is still something to get used to. Laura is my favorite character and I just want her to be the strongest.

All they really did is make the grid squares extra tiny.

Note that orbment lines work a little differently now: in Sky you could only have one single ailment-on-hit quartz per character, but Cold Steel lets you have one ailment and one stat-down on each individual line. So there's an actual benefit to orbments with lots of short lines now, and that will help Laura stay the strongest.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 3, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Cold Steel: If I have everyone's slots open can I start selling the elemental typed sephiroths?

Yes. If you're doing everything, you'll get plenty of good quartz to get by without making any yourself.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In Training posted:

Hour 14 of Trails in the Sky First Chapter and I'm hanging out at the docks looking for sailors.

Just wait until Joshua starts cross-dressing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

it's not just a legend of heroes... it's a legend about people who are legendary.

not a heroic legend of legendary heroes? pass

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

why is the trails box so big?

Looks like that's the fancy Lionheart Edition that comes with an art book.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Uppers seems quite flat and poorly-rounded in areas where Senran Kagura and Valkyrie Drive are proud to stand out

In all seriousness it is kind of weird how the enemies just stood there. In Batman or Sleeping Dogs or probably any brawler from this decade they'd be pacing back and forth, posing threateningly, taking the occasional swing, etc. You only see them for maybe a second at a time in that video, so I hope that's not typical.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They should have had a little section on tarot, too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I finally cleared the stupid weapon limiter in EDF2 :toot: Is anyone else still playing?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Re-downloading should be all you need to do.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ostentatious posted:

was I the only one who thought the kill zone vita game was kinda fun?

Not at all, it was super fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you're willing to give up some of your stuff on NG+, you can choose unlimited friend-having time units instead. It's an expensive option, but then you can easily get everybody up on that bonfire.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

does it have any moe? if not i think you're in the wrong thread.

Neisan Dureiku is hella moe

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 13, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I enjoyed Toukiden Kiwami a lot and would say that $10 is an excellent deal.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

neptunia v onwards, are better games than persona 4

I think if you want anyone to take the bait, you're going to have to pick a newer game

maybe see if Cold Steel does the trick

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If I still have it, does that mean I'm a software pirate now?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there is no help

CSII's still on track for this year sometime

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 18, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just imagine if we get CSII and then it doesn't resolve the plot like TitS SC did, so we have to wait more years for the third game that isn't even made yet.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward is pretty good despite the animes. People like to go "NO YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE FIRST GAME FIRST" but I don't really agree.

e: oh you've already played those, hooray I'm useless

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 18, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I did feel like the combat in SSD was really, really repetitive. None of the offerings felt much different from each other, unlike the weapons in Toukiden and Freedom Wars.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Okay finished my platinum on cold steel and I'm ready for the second game xseed tia.

Sorry, I think they're waiting on my platinum and this thousand battles trophy is taking goddamn forever.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oh that's right, it's a thousand victories, not just a thousand battles. Even better!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The EZ Wolf minigun is a really good general-purpose accessory weapon.

Level 5 weapons should be plenty for clearing the storyline, although the last boss might be a little rough.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

The endgame itself isn't bad, the issue is more that the crafting system is built to create some amount of forced variety, by making it very very time-intensive to sperg out and try and get the absolute best of absolutely everything. (Of course a whole bunch of min-max spergs went and did exactly that anyhow.) Also, where the storyline ends is a bit unclear. Don't skip crafting/upgrading. Just get comfortable with the idea that you won't have the best of all, and decide on one weapon type you want to max, maybe with 1 additional as second class. Also keep in mind that these games are built to be played online. Any kind of random pickup-group will be lightyears beyond your AI chumps.

To sort of add to this, here are the augmentations I settled on as most generally useful once I'd gotten close to the 0-year mark.

Attack+: I used to sperg out trying to take the absolute optimal attack augmentations for every single fight, switching back and forth between Attack, Attack Abductors, Attack Ramosa, ad nauseam; it was not worth the trouble. Just take one that lets you kill all the things more better, no B.S.
Last Legs: You are super frail in Freedom Wars and you will get knocked out a lot. Most defensive augments won't make a difference, but this one makes it twice as easy to bounce back without penalty.
Thorn Length+: The Thorn is useful for attacks, mobility, reviving at a distance, all kinds of stuff. Longer Thorns are even more useful.
Anti-Howl: When most Abductors power up, they give out a howl that stuns anyone nearby. Anti-Howl turns it from a constant annoyance and threat, into an opening for some heavy attacks.
Thorn Length: To be honest I have no idea if this even works with Length+, but it was the only aug I could fit in the last slot with no points left.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 23, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's a ten-year-old PSP game so probably not.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In Training posted:

I would probably like the games one million times more if it was just an arena with a boss and that was it.

Have you ever tried Toukiden Kiwami? It still has some of the fiddly town stuff and etc. but quite a lot less of it. There should be a free demo on PSN.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

For those not yet on the EDF train: Get it. Unless you have a lump of coal in place of your heart it will be fun for you.

Also, rush through the missions on easy to get to Pale Wing ASAP. She really makes the game shine in every way, by allowing you to go everywhere in a level and usefully flank groups of enemy mobs.

While i'm at it, have some gameplay in motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1solr9brAuI&t=808s

Pale Wing is best girl

Don't forget EDF2, which gives you Pale Wing (and Air Raider) right from the start.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why do multiplayer invites pop up full-screen without pausing my current game? Who thought that was a good idea, and how do I turn that poo poo off?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Picked up Unit 13 to scratch a cover shooter itch. I'm enjoying it, but not thoroughly... the narrowly defined mission objectives (and in turn, gameplay) feel too constrictive. Is there another game I should be investigating?

I've played Uncharted, Killzone, Borderlands, and Resistance.

I think the only other Vita FPS is Duke Nukem 3D. That's back up in the PSN store again, right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is Breath of Fire 3 good?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is proteus any good for the vita? It looks like a cool concept but I dunno

It's not really a game at all. Try Flower instead.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

boat

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Crypt of the NecroDancer is great and it runs fine on the Vita. I definitely recommend it when you finish some of that other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EDF2 is a good game and $15 is a good price for it