Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Still getting through Cold Steel really slowly. There's a line of Dogi plushies in a store and Laura says she likes how muscular it is. Towa still best girl, but Emma's right up there too. Loving every minute of it.

Look forward to the miracle of the octopus dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MisterAlex posted:

So what's the Vita-est Vita game that I can possibly get at this point?

do you mean "best" or "most typical"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

And if you enjoy P4G, you'll probably also enjoy Trails of Cold Steel, which is basically Falcom angrily vowing to make their own Persona 4 with blackjack and hookers. Other good Vita games, not necessarily exlusive:

Killzone Mercenary
Gravity Rush
Wipeout 2048
Tearaway
Ys: Memories of Celceta
One of the Monster Hunter clones--Freedom Wars, Toukiden Kiwami, Soul Sacrifice Delta
Earth Defense Force 2017/Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space
Velocity Ultra/Velocity 2X
Lumines Electronic Symphony
Shovel Knight
Crypt of the NecroDancer

also whatever's good on PSP or PS1 idk

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 15, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In that case Killzone Mercenary, Gravity Rush, and Tearaway are the "Vita-est," by which I mean good games that make the most of the Vita's tilt/touch gimmicks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

look sometimes I just can't contain all my yearning and envy for glorious Nippon, the only land where my gentlemanly class and swordsmanship would be properly respected

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

Freedom Wars for £9.50, yay or nay?

may

I enjoyed both. I think Freedom Wars has the best character customization and giant enemy fights out of the MH clones, but small enemies are a pain, the crafting is super-grindy RNG bullshit, and there's a whole lot of pointless wandering around your way-too-large home base.

Toukiden, on the other hand, has a decently small town, no randomness in crafting(although there's still lots of grinding), and no long stretches where you don't get to fight anything.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anything good in this flash sale?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Can I get Mega Man Legends on the Vita via PSN?

It should work, although I thought the controls were kind of awful.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

lesbian aspect overhyped and their relationship is more ambiguous in game

this shall not stand

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

XCOM's graphics and load times have naturally taken a big hit, but it remains a good and fun game for anyone who isn't spending all their money on anime bikinis

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you buy the titty game, the titty game people are not going to think "Hooray, we have money to make a good game." They will think "We have to make more titty games."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can only tolerate voice work if it's moe enough to shatter all my kitchen glassware

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SweetBro posted:

The only weapon worth giving to your accessory is the hardest hitting rocket launcher you can find since it gets infinite ammo with it.

wrong, use the giant machine guns or the flame thrower because fire rate isn't factored into weapon power stats

quote:

EDIT: Also gently caress "Mash X" QTEs. Even by QTE standards that is the worst and the laziest thing in existence.

Barbara's Easy Blaster is better for severing than any light melee

give polearms a try if you haven't yet, I found them to be the most effective and fun melee weapons

I enjoyed Freedom Wars a lot but it is not very well balanced

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 8, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's no manual saving and it seems to only save on area transition, and each dungeon is a single area, so you need to either be able to focus on the game and clear a dungeon in one go or use standby mode.

Severed has autosaves all over the place--any time you see that spinny eye in the bottom right--but I wish there was a manual save too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mrEkli posted:

Is Toukiden Kiwami a game worth getting? Seems like an alright MH style game.

I thought it was pretty good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've been playing Digital Devil Summoner Digimon Cyber Sleuth, and my main squad of mons hasn't done much leveling in a while. Is that normal? They're still kicking rear end, but is it a mistake to stick with just a handful of mons and leave all the others on the farm?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'd say P4G and Gravity Rush are still the best picks for any new Vita owner and unabashed anime liker

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

i don't know how old your wife is so she might miss the age range for it but Digimon Cyber Sleuth is a really good game

it's good even if she didn't watch it when she was younger but the nostalgia factor is a pretty big thing for it

I know absolutely nothing about the cartoon except that Digimon are the champions, and I am enjoying Cyber Sleuth

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I am a little disappointed with the new Ultimate digivolution tier that I've just reached, though. Terriermon and Gargomon were so cute :smith:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kirios posted:

I beat Trails on the PC - Is Cold Steel as good?

Gameplay is improved, writing is sometimes as good and sometimes not.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kirios posted:

Would anyone that knows all of 0 about Digimon (except they're Digital Monsters Digimon are the CHAMPIONS!) enjoy Cyber Sleuth? I think there's one that looks like a Cactuar?

yes I am one of said people

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thorsilver posted:

You can also chuck grenades which have different effects depending on which bullet type is in the chamber when you throw it.

The effect is actually based on which bullet type you shoot the grenade with. :hellyeah:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I like how Fei is supposed to be Digimon Cyber Sleuth's resident badass anti-hero type, but they gave her that Kansai accent so all her insults and threats get translated as "WELL SLAP MAH CORNHAWGS THIS HERE'S A BARN BURNIN HOOPENANNY WOOOOOO-WEEE"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

The only problem I have with Toukiden is that it seems like it might be too easy?

Like everything I've heard about the rifle weapon, which sounds awesome, but are you ever in any danger when using it?

If you're doing lots of damage to them, Oni will come after you regardless of what weapon you're wielding.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Living Doll, Dead Person :stonk:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think he's saying it's only natural for Gravity Rush to be superior because it's not anime

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alder posted:

Digimon still fun after 30+ hrs later but getting a bit tired of grinding for exp for new friends.

Do you have PlatinumSukamon? Make three Pabumon -> Motimon -> Hagurumon -> Plats. Their support skill grants +100% XP, and it stacks. They'll suck at fighting to start with, so you should digivolve them into Vademon one by one, get them to level 45 for Nightmare III, and de-digivolve back. Between that, Venom Trap, and Character Reversal, your PlatSukamons will be strong enough to take on most things by themselves. If you have any Tactician USBs, they'll also stack and a team of three poop monsters can carry up to 6 of them. You can also digivolve them to Etemon, and then to PlatinumNumemon for something stronger with the same support skill and even more Tactician USB carrying capacity.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 9, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EDF is the superior multiplayer shooting grindfest anyway

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"uguu~"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Has anyone else had trouble activating DLC missions in Digimon Cyber Sleuth? There's supposed to be one in Chapter 16 and it never showed up on the board for me. The DLC's all free, so it could be worse, but apparently this mission gives you a Tactician USB.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

EDIT: Ok, according to gamefaqs, here is how you activate them

Alright, the first two showed up just fine, but I never even bothered checking Kowloon when the third was supposed to be available. Thanks.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 11, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RizeGreymon sent me like ten presents from the Digifarm today

are we married

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Severed is really cool but also very short

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also dong sliders. With physics.

one slider for both boobs and dongs

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In Training posted:

I've played the first one for about 12 hours and petered out because it was a little too easy. Is Cold Steel's combat more involved? Because I felt like I was doing the same stuff in hour 12 that I was doing in hour 1 and still being successful, it was a little flat.

On Normal, most of Cold Steel will be about as easy as Sky, although there are a few tough bosses and Cold Steel's combat has more to do in general. Try it on Hard.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 16, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fuuuck why am I even attempting this optional Lucemon fight in the Digimon Cyber Sleuth DLC. I must be a glutton for punishment. Even with all the XP bonuses I've managed to collect, assembling the ridiculous custom ubermons I need to win is such an awful slog.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The second phase, where he speeds up and starts dropping supercharged AoEs with random ailments. To even survive that horseshit I think I'm going to need three Digimon with Status Barrier and Safety Guard. And I think they're going to have to be WarGreymon, UlforceVeedramon, and Mastemon. Mastemon's the only one that gets even one of those skills by default.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Agrias120 posted:

This reads like a touch-screen version of that old game, Bop It.

rub it
grasp it
mash it
regret it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SweetBro posted:

How simialar is Cold Steel to persona in terms of gameplay?

Kind of similar. There are lots of familiar elements like elemental weaknesses, analyzing monsters, combo attacks, getting advantage by starting combats from behind, etc. Instead of mythological pokemons, your team gets most of their special abilities from magic rocks that you plug into their cell phones. Every party member is as versatile in that regard as the main character, although they all have different strengths, weaknesses, and unique abilities of their own.

Status effects are a lot stronger than in Persona, and you can see at a glance how well they'll work on any given enemy.

Positioning is more important in Cold Steel too. Most attacks have a defined area of effect instead of just "one target" or "all targets."

Another big difference from Persona is the visibility and flexibility of the turn order in combat--it shuffles around depending on everyone's actions and speed, some turns will grant random bonuses if you can land on them, and there are attacks that can delay or advance the target's next turn. Controlling the turn order is pretty important.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The launch ports can't be destroyed, just the cannon panels and the central weak point.