Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
And by "another" I mean an additional cat, not trade mine in for another one!

So about 5 weeks ago, I got myself an orange kitten who I named Noodle. Currently, he's around 17 weeks old. And while Noodle is not home alone a terrible amount of the time, I do feel a bit guilty depriving him of a companion. I work 8+ hours a day, however my roommate often works different (and fewer) hours than I do, so he's usually only going a few hours by himself during the day. But I have issues with insomnia and therefore need peace and quiet when I go to bed, so Noodle is shut out of my bedroom when I go to sleep, creating another 8 hour chunk of time that he is left to his own devices.

On the other hand, he honestly seems just fine. He's not destructive when we're gone, he greets us happily when we come home, and is even prone to wandering off to do his own thing after he's gotten enough interaction. So he's not showing any signs of distress or sadness as far as I can tell, in fact he seems quite happy. And at this point, he's been living here as the only pet for over a month. Would bringing in a new kitten just stress him out more than it would do him any good?

I just feel like the clock is ticking on this decision because if I do get another cat, I want to do it soon so they can bond as kittens, if that's even possible anymore. I'd hate to wait too long, get another cat for his sake, and then they end up ignoring each other. Because I, personally, only planned on getting one cat at this time. But I want Noodle to have a good life and I know that if my entire life took place in a 2 bedroom apartment, I might appreciate a buddy to play and sleep with.

Please help me figure out what's best here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Yes. :3:

seriously, listen to your gut and go get another snuggle buddy tomorrow.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Always get a second kitten.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
second kitten is usually the nominal advice. They have a lot of energy for first 2 years. Helps them and you deal with that.

Since one is established in the household, you'll need to read up on introducing a cat to another one. This means potential separation and only supervised interactions for up to a few weeks. Hopefully much faster given their age. When you adopted, were there any notes on temperament with other cats? There are some cats, even as kittens, who just make it known they want to be only cats. A second cat of a similiar weight and energy level is advisable.

Oh and cats can bond at any age. I have one 7 year old and one 3 year old. They've been together for a year. They mutually groom and hang out together all the time.

Admiral_eX_laX
Jul 8, 2009

Historically Inaccurate
yes.

my first cat is over a year old. up to the day before I got my 2nd cat he'd bite my feet and legs and hands, claw, etc. he'd do that sometimes. he's a bit neurotic.

he really just needed another cat to play with.

ever since i got the 2nd cat, he stopped doing that. when I get home he's usually asleep because the new cat's been wrestling him all day.

new cat is not yet a year old but i suspect is a maine coon mix. he's already bigger than my older cat.

do read the cat thread. you'll need to introduce them slowly.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Thanks for the responses guys. After thinking it over some more, it definitely seems like the right thing to do. Noodle shared a cage with his brother at the shelter, so I know he'd probably be pretty happy to have a kitty pal again. And some days I have to be gone a little longer than I'd like to be. I've already contacted a couple foster moms around here to try and set something up. I think I'm going to get a girl this time. :3: I will read the other thread to make sure I introduce them properly.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
post pictures!

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

It was the right decision, guys :3:

It only took 5 days to get to this point.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Oh goodness, they're so sweet :kimchi:

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
Yay! Cat friends best friends.

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

They're adorable together!
Introducing an adult cat to another kitten is almost always a rough thing for both, when I got my little ginger cat he was constantly terrified of our larger female cat at the time. She tormented him relentlessly. Then she moved out as she belonged to an old housemate, but now he remains terrified of everything with fur. And in fact anything larger than a moth- including his own shadow.

Then again, a friend got a second male cat a year ago, and the kitten and the older one bonded immediately. They are like brothers now.

Perhaps to do with the personalities of the cats too?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

aaaaaaa! :3: so cute!

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

NationofCrustaceans posted:

It was the right decision, guys :3:

It only took 5 days to get to this point.

I'm so glad you got a noodle friend! What's his name? How old is he?

yaaaay!

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Maully Millions posted:

I'm so glad you got a noodle friend! What's his name? How old is he?

yaaaay!

His name's Punchy and he's the same age as Noodle, maybe a couple weeks older at most (he looks a fair bit bigger though!)

The only issue we're having is that Noodle is a very high energy cat and wants to play any time he's not sleeping. Punchy is veeeery mellow. This has been causing Noodle to annoy the poo poo out of Punchy. I asked the rescue organization to match me up with a kitty that would be good playmate for a high-energy cat and I feel like they failed me pretty miserably on that point. Punchy just wants to chill and maybe gently play when you work him up to it. Noodle nose-dives in and steals the toy the second Punchy starts playing, and chases him around and jumps on him a LOT. I feel kinda bad for our new friend. I feel like even though they they're the same age, Punchy's having to put up with a rambunctious strong toddler 24/7 when he'd rather be lazing in the sunshine. Any tips?

Wile E. Toyota fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 14, 2016

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Just keep getting more cats o.o

srsly though, maybe he's still settling in? And once he gets more confident he might get into it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I imagine if it starts to get to Punchy he'll make sure to let Noodle know in the form of hisses or claw-free whaps to the face.

• Locked thread