Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feller
Jul 5, 2006

I started reading this thread because I had the same problem, but it's gotten worse the past hour.

I built this desktop early December, and everything ran fine with no crashes or unwanted reboots until yesterday. It seemed to only happen when gaming yesterday (it was fine all last night and this morning when I was just browsing the web and playing music). This last reboot was bad though, once it got back to the login screen it rebooted again, and again, and again... until I just shut the thing down.

Specs:
Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
CPU: i5-4690k (not overclocked)
RAM: Gskill 16gb ddr3 1600
GPU: MSI Computer NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 100 Million Edition OC 4GB GDDR
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500G
Wifi: Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/WiFi Expansion Car

This is the first desktop I've built in 10ish years so I imagine I did something wrong when building it. I just took another look, and everything is plugged in correctly as far as I can tell, all the connections are snug.

I ran memtest and everything came back fine. I have fully up to date BIOS/other mobo/GPU/Wifi drivers (am I missing any?). I had realtemp and gpu-z up when playing and none of the temperatures were what I've been told are dangerous (high 50s for CPU and low 60s for GPU). I was playing Crusader Kings 2.

I'm baffled that this took a month and a half to start happening. Again, I am assuming it's something to do with my parts or their installation. Is there any kind of utility I can use to test my PSU/Mobo and their connections? Or could it possibly be malware?

I have read the FAQ and googled. Thank you in advance for any help!

e: corrected the names of the temp monitoring programs

e2: my description has me thinking now it's the CPU temps after all. It's weird to me that I could play CK2/EU4 for a month with no temp problems and have them pop up now.

feller fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd probably use onboard video temporarily and see if the issues continue.

cool and good posted:

Is there any kind of utility I can use to test my PSU/Mobo and their connections? Or could it possibly be malware?

You can get a PSU tester like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=power%20supply%20tester&Submit=ENE but usually they're good for checking if PSUs are completely dead rather than if one is beginning to fail (harder to tell).

Nothing really to test a motherboard but trial and error.

cool and good posted:

e2: my description has me thinking now it's the CPU temps after all. It's weird to me that I could play CK2/EU4 for a month with no temp problems and have them pop up now.

Those CPU temps shouldn't cause rebooting.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I had already ordered a heatsink, so I installed it since I figured I should have one anyway. That didn't resolve the issue.

I took the GPU out, and got the same behavior on integrated graphics. Every time this happens now I have to turn it off and leave it alone for a few minutes before it'll restart again.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd temporarily take out that Wifi card or disable it. Probably not the issue but it wouldn't surprise me if it was either.

If that doesn't work I'd probably take the motherboard out of the case and place it on a nonconductive surface (to make sure there wasn't some kind of issue that cropped up with the case).

Did you let memtest run overnight?

Is that PSU new?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I took the wifi card out, still had the crashes. I switched the SSD for one I know is fine and still had crashes.

The PSU is 2ish months old. I used the windows memory test, not memtest86 or whatever. It completed in 15 minutes or so. I'm afraid that if I try to run memtest over night my computer will just crash but I'll give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Just an update that after trying a new mobo, ram, ssd, and gpu I finally fixed it when I tried a new PSU.

• Locked thread