Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Endie posted:

Yeah did kotor or whatever they called the mmo not have fishing? If not they are jerks but if so its canon soz m8s

A couple of beers in and your posting goes right out the window.

You can take the boy out of teuchterland, but you can't take the teuchter out of the boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

you have a valid point or two, but that little clerks-lite speech does gloss over raising an army of darkness to commit genocide

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
We never see any actual genocide though, do we? War involves attack as well as defence but nobody says Churchill raised an army to commit genocide when he tried to defend *his* little patch of homeland.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Endie posted:

We never see any actual genocide though, do we? War involves attack as well as defence but nobody says Churchill raised an army to commit genocide when he tried to defend *his* little patch of homeland.

There's an old history adage - "History is written by the victors."

It's not genocide if you win.

Sort of like in EVE, like with all the betrayal and political intrigue goons did against BoB and such, Goons won at the end of the day so they get to write the narrative, it would have been different if "Well goons did all this meta poo poo to try and gently caress is and they still lost, how terrible are they."

War and conflict plays out far different in the court of public opinion when casus belli is on your side.

I learned that from playing EU4 :v:

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Kesper North posted:

I didn't like it. Magical powers and no actual spaceship!

That doesn't sound tempting. Even LotR has a spaceship.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Kimsemus posted:

There's an old history adage - "History is written by the victors."

It's not genocide if you win.

Sort of like in EVE, like with all the betrayal and political intrigue goons did against BoB and such, Goons won at the end of the day so they get to write the narrative, it would have been different if "Well goons did all this meta poo poo to try and gently caress is and they still lost, how terrible are they."

I think its sometimes genocide even if you win. Like Arthur"Bomber" Harris. There is some serious shuffling of feet when his name crops up.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Endie posted:

I think its sometimes genocide even if you win. Like Arthur"Bomber" Harris. There is some serious shuffling of feet when his name crops up.

Never heard of him, tell me more?

Most applicable example I can think of is the "Indian Wars" after the Civil War, which was pretty much mass genocide no matter how you try to argue it, but the US "won" and manifest destiny, etc etc.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Endie posted:

That doesn't sound tempting. Even LotR has a spaceship.

Oh, it gets worse. The spaceship everyone lives on is actually just a bullshit BioDome-style experiment; they never left Earth. Totally the space opera we've been looking for, right?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Kimsemus posted:

Never heard of him, tell me more?

Most applicable example I can think of is the "Indian Wars" after the Civil War, which was pretty much mass genocide no matter how you try to argue it, but the US "won" and manifest destiny, etc etc.

Head of bomber command in wwii and basically not a huge germanophile. He believed that by means of a strategic bombing offensive* he could bring about victory in Europe.

*bombing the bejesus out of anything that couldn't pronounce the letter "w" properly.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
god drat you have to admit the citadels look impressive:

Endie posted:

Head of bomber command in wwii and basically not a huge germanophile. He believed that by means of a strategic bombing offensive* he could bring about victory in Europe.

*bombing the bejesus out of anything that couldn't pronounce the letter "w" properly.

Ah, interesting, from the UK, or American?

I mean even with the dropping of the h-bomb...in war I guess the ends justify the means? Don't we use that excuse in EVE constantly against our enemies?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Kimsemus posted:

I mean even with the dropping of the h-bomb...in war I guess the ends justify the means? Don't we use that excuse in EVE constantly against our enemies?

The existence of hentai suggests that if anything you stopped dropping nukes a few cities too early.

And Arthur Harris was as British as he sounds.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kimsemus posted:

UK; he received a baronetcy or something.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Citadels look amazing :allears:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Endie posted:

Sauron works for Morgoth and seeks to blanket middle earth in his will, which is to corrupt or destroy everything good. Morgoth is literally the divine source of all evil.
It'd be like defending hitler even after you found out that the devil is real, and hitler is his conduit to put his will upon man.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

also the first :godwin: on page 8 of an eve thread is pretty chill

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Khablam posted:

Sauron works for Morgoth and seeks to blanket middle earth in his will, which is to corrupt or destroy everything good. Morgoth is literally the divine source of all evil.
It'd be like defending hitler even after you found out that the devil is real, and hitler is his conduit to put his will upon man.

Well, as long as we're godwinning - as an atheist, many people believe that I work for Satan, and that Satan is real, and evil, and not their friend. Something similar is no doubt at work here. (Somewhere in Middle Earth, an orc assigned to conquer the Shire has discovered that hobbit feet have different shapes adapted to their local environments, and is writing a treatise: 'On the Origin of Dinner'.)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The hobbits are about as close as it gets to atheism in lotr, in that their naive existence from reality allows them to ignore the good/evil poo poo going on.
Elsewhere it's pretty hard to be an atheist when deities have physical forms and tend to do things to announce their presence, like throw you a few hundred feet through the air and perform necromancy.

It's basically the real world situation inverted.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Terry Pratchett has great fun with atheists in his Discworld novels; they quickly invented lightning-rod helmets. (The gods of the Disc live on the Hub in its center, and tend to throw lightning bolts at the insufficiently worshipful. Or worse, come round to make all your drawers stick.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
As to his explanation as to why atheists are a thing in an overtly theistic universe: sheer human cussedness.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Eonwe posted:

this is way better than the other thread

When the bar is set so low...

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Kesper North posted:

Terry Pratchett has great fun with atheists in his Discworld novels; they quickly invented lightning-rod helmets. (The gods of the Disc live on the Hub in its center, and tend to throw lightning bolts at the insufficiently worshipful. Or worse, come round to make all your drawers stick.)

:rip: May he rest in peace.

He wrote some of the coolest poo poo.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
You still feeling the Bern Eonwe?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dalael posted:

You still feeling the Bern Eonwe?

yes he is very good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i dont want the sanderistas tag because if anything I'd discourage someone from voting for them if they read my posts an I had the gangtag

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
You should come back to the Debate & Discussion: You Are Racist › Your Candidate Sucks > Bernie 2016 - Gay Communist Gun Club #staywoke thread and shitpost some more there. It could use your quality type posting.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 27, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i will try to drop in

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vote Trump 2016.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Unfunny Poster posted:

Vote Trump 2016.

eh

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vote Globby?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

i'd vote for that guy

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Unfunny Poster posted:

Vote Trump 2016.

Living up to your username with that one, my friend. :P

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kesper North posted:

Living up to your username with that one, my friend. :P

Let's not say things we can't take back friend.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Unfunny Poster posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back friend.

I'm not sure why I'd want to?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I think I've watched too many ATs, because honestly at this point Trump looks like the democrat's B candidate, that they're running through the losers bracket in order to beat easily in the final without needing to rig anything

makes you think

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

just made politics about eve for you all

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

[02:53:30] Hendrick Tallardar > shut up globby
[02:53:33] Hendrick Tallardar > you're mean

:eyepop:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

[02:53:30] Hendrick Tallardar > shut up globby
[02:53:33] Hendrick Tallardar > you're mean

:eyepop:

Don't Hound shame me.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
dual masb rocket autocannon manticores

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Can someone edit the Jeffraider show to omit DnG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oodles posted:

Can someone edit the Jeffraider show to omit DnG.

Why?

• Locked thread