Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

mpaarating posted:

The intro post for this thread is actually the post it deserves. Endie's posts were always promising a game that doesn't exist.

In my defence that game did exist just only for about three hours every six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Khablam posted:

10 ISK to whoever gets Endie to close his thread so we can only post about eve ITT

I considered it - it's the recruitment thread I hated doing the most and it shows, not to mention the paucity of good propaganda imagery available by then - but I'd only get accused of doing it in a huff or out of spite or something.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Eonwe posted:

hey you don't gotta defend yoruself Endie! I think the OP you made was actually very good

That's kind of you but someone linked the empire of grief one from a couple of years back when Stahlregen did the graphics for me and it was all fun and scabrous and there's no real comparison between that and a gussied-up retelling of "yeah there's no danger and all the hard work is done so just chill and rat and there are fleets sometimes I guess but those are for scrubunculi in fcon and sma to justify their existence with so no biggie".

That actually would probably have got more people to join with its hint of divisiveness.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Eonwe posted:

Endie, my friend

just follow your shitposting star

:justpost:

go hog wild

if you want to keep the thread open, keep it open

if you want to close it, close it!

the forums are your oyster and you're a go getter

you're right I should be the shitposting I want to see

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
I can't make myself decapitalise the personal pronouns there my heart just isn't in it

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Xolve posted:

You're not taking TiDi into account, and those 3 hours actually took 62 hours of play time to actually happen.

I did consider that aspect, but couldn't see a neat way pithily to explain that.

Vis a vis the closing the other thread argument, this one with the whole relaxed, non-angry vibe is probably far less likely to put people off joining GSF so it might be a blessing.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Eonwe posted:

what if we closed both threads tho

i dunno rip chill final fantasy thread or something

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Rakeris posted:

Yeah this thread has actually made me consider joining GSF. But I just think what will happen when the other one gets gassed.

This is probably more the pflax neogroon type thread. Not that I know much about his plans and maybe they will be super-angsty elitist pvp or something who knows?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Eonwe posted:

its beautiful

I dunno I don't think crabs are capable of such forethought and of what amounts to tool-using behaviour.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Frankly the lack of verisimilitude ruined the whole aesthetic for me.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
like that bit in lord of the rings where the orc dudes are like "looks like meat's back on the menu, boys" and you wonder what opportunities orcs really have to order from a menu. I picture even a finger buffet as a bit far-fetched.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
I do think that if it was the tale of the oyster and the orc and the orc had an O.P. and did that trick with the pebble then that would have worked because orcs are painted as pretty sharp thinkers who are often distracted from observation duties by a love of fine dining. That just hangs together better.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
An oyster was in love with the moon. When the full moon shone in the sky, he spent hours watching it with open mouth.
An uruk-hai saw from his observation post that the oyster was completely open at the full moon, and decided to eat him.
The following night, when the oyster opened, the orc put a pebble inside.
The oyster immediately tried to close again, but was prevented by the stone.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Eonwe posted:

wowzers, I never thought about it

why would the orcs even know the word menu

we're through the looking glass here, people

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Eonwe posted:

like is there an orc restaurant where they sit down and order brackish water to drink with a troll flank steak & a side of hobbit feet?

the sources are silent

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Oodles posted:

Winding down to leaving for the day Endie?

Or poop posting?

yeah I'm off drinking with malcanis in 20 minutes. Also the whole feeling in this thread is a bit more post-positive

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Rakeris posted:

Yeah should be interesting to see what his plans are. I just like ganking pubbies in high sec, so joining GSF seems kinda silly. Miss minilove though.

you just put an alt in code and join miniluv ganking shenanigans

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Eonwe posted:

you'd really have to prepare hobbit feet just right if you made them too

like, they walk barefoot everywhere so you know the meat is tough, and like the hair? You'd have to take great pains to get rid of all of it and hobbits have a lot

the more I think about this the more I think that the orc restaurant just doesn't make a lot of sense

yeah that just spoiled the rest of the trilogy for me. Like when they did those underground scenes in isengard or in the bit in mordor i was looking for any sort of orc cafe or perhaps orc street food where there might be some sort of menu available but that whole side of things is left terribly under-developed in what i think is a big mistake by jackson

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Zasze posted:

Endie is bat going to participate in the 2v2 ibis only frig tourney.

I can neither confirm nor deny that we are testing ibis fits furiously somewhere in a wormhole on duality.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Although I had never heard of this tournament.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Oodles posted:

Endie if ever I'm down in Edinburgh can I buy you a beer?

You don't have drink it sitting at the same table as me, that'd be nice but optional.

It would be my pleasure.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Especially if that buy me a beer bit isn't just a turn of phrase.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Wait a second it just struck me that that story with the oyster and the crab and the orc had two full moons in successive nights

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Oodles posted:

Conversely, if you're ever in Aberdeen give me a shout.

If you're from Aberdeen then the buy me a beer thing was just a figure of speech.

I'm from Aberdeenshire though so I should be around in the next couple of months.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Archenteron posted:

Fishing is an eternal pastime for mankind, even thousands of years ago in the future. What do you have against fishing, Kimsemus? Fishing is chill as gently caress.

Yeah did kotor or whatever they called the mmo not have fishing? If not they are jerks but if so its canon soz m8s

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Kesper North posted:

Late to the party, but orcs actually have a highly developed culture, a fact Tolkien conceals in the text by only displaying orcs acting like warlike barbarians in an attempt to dehumanize them, as the Lord of the Rings was a racist, counterrevolutionary screed against industrialization, black people and the destruction of the 'pastoral English countryside'. Peter Jackson, who is basically Tolkien's version of Leni Riefenstahl, got a little sloppy and let the "menu" reference slip through - but that's all we need to allow us to see past the propaganda and view orcs as a sensitive, artistic people who want to overthrow the elves who have been abusing them for millenia and use their engineering talents to build steam engines, running water, toilets and other modern conveniences required to open a really good orc bistro in Mordor that serves only the finest artisanal cave-grown dwarf heads.

Malcanis just explained this to me over some excellent south indian curry and brewed-under-license lagers and it opened my eyes to the realisation that Sauron actually never does much wrong while having some seriously liberal views on multi-ethnic hiring policy.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
We never see any actual genocide though, do we? War involves attack as well as defence but nobody says Churchill raised an army to commit genocide when he tried to defend *his* little patch of homeland.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Kesper North posted:

I didn't like it. Magical powers and no actual spaceship!

That doesn't sound tempting. Even LotR has a spaceship.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Kimsemus posted:

There's an old history adage - "History is written by the victors."

It's not genocide if you win.

Sort of like in EVE, like with all the betrayal and political intrigue goons did against BoB and such, Goons won at the end of the day so they get to write the narrative, it would have been different if "Well goons did all this meta poo poo to try and gently caress is and they still lost, how terrible are they."

I think its sometimes genocide even if you win. Like Arthur"Bomber" Harris. There is some serious shuffling of feet when his name crops up.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Kimsemus posted:

Never heard of him, tell me more?

Most applicable example I can think of is the "Indian Wars" after the Civil War, which was pretty much mass genocide no matter how you try to argue it, but the US "won" and manifest destiny, etc etc.

Head of bomber command in wwii and basically not a huge germanophile. He believed that by means of a strategic bombing offensive* he could bring about victory in Europe.

*bombing the bejesus out of anything that couldn't pronounce the letter "w" properly.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Kimsemus posted:

god drat you have to admit the citadels look impressive:

Ah, interesting, from the UK, or American?

I mean even with the dropping of the h-bomb...in war I guess the ends justify the means? Don't we use that excuse in EVE constantly against our enemies?

The existence of hentai suggests that if anything you stopped dropping nukes a few cities too early.

And Arthur Harris was as British as he sounds.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
DNS sounded drunk as hell, rambled and interjected way too much. Normally, Jeff keeps discussions on focus really well, and he tends to be well-prepared and ready to move stuff on.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Shouldn't this be "Eve Online 2016: a sci-fi spaceship game in which Goons are terrible" because for all that it's certainly a fine example of the genre I have serious doubts vis a vis the assumption that Goons aren't terrible to some degree in other spaceship games, given the chance.

For instance, all it will take would be for Star Citizens actually to launch - bear with me, this is a hypothetical - and someone would start firing up spira and a house demerit tracking spreadsheet for guild management purposes.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Why do we STILL have 2 threads?

And why is one run by a total goddamn moron?

Hint: Not Endie

Even I avoid posting in that one. It's all harsh and edgy and uptight.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
that said at any given point this thread is probably only a matter of days and a few provocative posts away from a tweetfleet slack-style red pen broadcasted invasion

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Oodles posted:

Endie, what's the name of that book that you've contributed to? I had the name saved somewhere but can't find it now.

This is it, I believe: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Internet-Spaceships-Are-Serious-Business/dp/0816699089

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
I just caught up and the last two pages of this thread are really bad thanks to all the mighty forum myrmidons who got mixed up between threads and launched into defending their space tribes against scurrilous charges in spacecourt.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
that post too ^^

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

ChickenWing posted:

please be chill in the chill thread

hi endie how's things in PL, I hear you're having fun and stuff

I miss your OPs, samahiel's wasn't as good :(

Thanks yeah its fun here but I hear we are being laid off in favour of our autz in this war so I guess we will have to make our own fun with small gang roams and blopsing and stuff if that happens.

On the samahiel OP I am going to admit I was really nervous before it came out in case it was amazing so I was selfishly relieved but I'm sure his next one will be a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Denis posted:

Are we still chilling here ?

Wondering once this all is over if there will be someone left going after CO2, i would really enjoy shooting em.

In an ideal world, once this is over a whole lot more people will be shooting a whole lot more other people.

• Locked thread