Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

hi thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Endie posted:

I did consider that aspect, but couldn't see a neat way pithily to explain that.

Vis a vis the closing the other thread argument, this one with the whole relaxed, non-angry vibe is probably far less likely to put people off joining GSF so it might be a blessing.

But of course, close the other thread and the unrelaxed angry crowd from the other thread will come to this one

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Eonwe posted:

what if we closed both threads tho

did you ever pinch off a hose and see the pressure build up until you let it go and then water sprays goddamn everywhere for a second?

like that but with posting

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

pflax post in the thread to tell us about your corporate vision and also to weigh in on the orc fine dining experience discussion

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

personally I think hobbit feet would be split in to the meaty bit of the foot and then the sole could be like jerky

just have to sear off the hair

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

You brighten my day every time you bring a lilith5 tidbit in here, Tallardar

my own personal spiteful ray of sunshine :sun:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

lets touch butts

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

remember when they got some random euro guy who had ~won awards~ to do the redesign

If TMDC has taught me anything, it's that you should always get goons to make your poo poo and not pay for experts

works cited:

the kickstarter
the redesign

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

quote experts endquote

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

speaking of non sequiteurs

I got a gear VR last night. It's pretty cool and makes me want a Rift that much more. Gunjack is fun, but probably not worth $12. It's cool to shoot a Daredevil though.

Downsides: I only have a Galaxy s6 so there's some major screen door effect going on. The phone overheats occasionally, but apparently there's a way to fix that.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't get people's obsession with Star Wars.

It's pretty weird and dumb.

chill thread about to get real unchill if you don't recant that horrible falsity

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

0.75Travis Wells

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

a high standard to aspire to.

I rate myself 'better than andupor'

The homeland defense school for kids who can't post good trained me to aim high

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Zasze posted:

Koshka era sv was hardly the best iteration and even the saus version was far from the first by by god we had a great god drat time.

We'll always have provi <3

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

actually iirc the idea he had for nerfing jump drives was pretty close to what we have in place currently

It figures that Greyscale would have the same sort of ideas about EVE as Marlona.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

crew posted:

Range, frequency or making it super expensive (which they actually tried before fatigue by tweaking isotope prices) was always part of the discussion.

No I mean he wrote a blog on it and had an idea that was a pretty close analogue to jump fatigue itself.

It was a while ago though so my memory is fuzzy

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

crew posted:

I had the best of both worlds because I watched the stream all day at work then got to jump into it when they called for a Dominix fleet around midnight EST to neut out and finish the last 10 avatars.

I was in my dread but too far away to whore on Shrike. I was upset about it.

Regardless, it was incredibly cool to be part of that whole huge thing. It probably ranks among the coolest things I've ever done in EVE. Honestly, the whole Halloween war was just insanely friggin cool in retrospective. At the time it was boring as heck though :v:

Hopefully when TMDC does their next book kickstarter, the KS and book are successful enough that they can do a halloween war movie, because if -anything- deserves to be made into something for delivery to the masses, it's that.

Berious posted:

when the finally switched to titans going for one that would obviously be supertanked

Actually that was a fuckup due to spy/server issues, rather than target picking. Sort Dragon had a sort of proto-DC iirc, where he thought he'd DC'ed (and so all of his hardeners etc would be off, making him by far the easiest target on the battlefield), but his session stayed alive, so all his modules stayed on, so he ate about a billion doomsdays while we picked up ~7-12 more titan kills.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

welcome back better threadd

i missed you

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

hello good eve thread :eonwe:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

hi foe

did you hot mic while jerking off in pl's comms yet?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Funso Banjo posted:

I am logged in at the forums, still no working wiki though. Probably because I am vacationed.

Yeah you need to have proper active auth credentials.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

please be chill in the chill thread

hi endie how's things in PL, I hear you're having fun and stuff

I miss your OPs, samahiel's wasn't as good :(

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'm not Endie, but hey ChickenWing how are you? I am taking what I learnt in the right honorable Top Goon and teaching some of the interested Horde dudes about it. They love bombing runs and honestly I couldn't be happier they get a war to be a part of instead of reading. Also my dumb video explaining the war is at 25k views on YouTube, which is abnormal for my EVE videos.

Also Saturday marks the 1 year anniversary of Horde being founded so that should be fun.

Hi HendrUba TallarStij

You know what's funny? I don't think I ever actually launched a bomb while in topgoon. Glad you're having fun with it though, gotta teach those newbies how to accidentally pres butan and see who's not fast enough on the mwd off button.

Next teach them dictors and indirectly how to "accidentally" bubble their own fleets :sun:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Goatman Sacks posted:

The only thing i remember about Top Goon was that something went wrong during the Fountain War and TheAdj blamed us for it and demanded a complete overhaul of everything.

That's probably about the last important thing that ever happened to us, yep.

e: i guess we also helped blackops blops IRC(?) into disbanding

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yep, there's also dudes learning interdictors & command destroyers. The latter of which are the best loving ships in EVE.

I haven't touched CDs yet. Hell, I haven't even used a T3D beyond flying it in a circle and playing space transformer.

seven loving days until I can be shot of this whole "school" business and fly a spaceship again

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Unguided posted:

So from what I'm reading, goons lost their territory because they failed to adapt to mechanics changes, again. Not as funny as when they forgot to pay the power bill.

Are you reading reddit? Goons lost territory because holy god we have too much loving space, and every space personality with a rifter and a grudge has come to grind their way to Deklein.

Basically we just have to hold them until they realize how much they really hate each other, then they'll all splinter off into their respective factions again and we can surge back out to full turgidness.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Pretty much.

The blame they're putting on the lone dev who posted the new mechanics' dev blog is pretty funny though.

Never not shoot the messenger.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

hakimashou posted:

mods should close the other eve thread and have this be the only one

No because then all those posters would come here and that would be bad :(

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Numismancer posted:

:smug:

Here's the spin: We outfoxed the rest of eve today and publicly ruined them when they were at their most smug, and they deserve every bit of mockery that will be headed their way for the next three years as we prosecute the largest grudgefuck since July 2006 against anyone who's been dumb enough to come at us today.

It's not like brutal campaigns of vengeance against impossible odds are what we're infamous for or anything. I'm sure ya'll will be fine.

no mittens you're in the wrong thread we're chill and not smug here :eonwe:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Blazing Zero posted:

so when is ccp's second attempt at fps in eve universe? i actually really enjoyed the first attempt :shobon:

God I hope it's at least halfway respectable

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Are you a big universe/lore nerd too?

I eat that poo poo up.

I have every single eve book except the second decade thing and the empires of eve one (and that only because it's not on amazon.ca yet :( )

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

frozenpussy posted:

I suppose smartbombs already do the same thing as a flak cannon would, and better. Area damage in a sphere.

this but call it Point Defense and give it bitchin particle effects (like how autocannons look in CCP's trailers, but shooting EVERYWHERE).

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

the issue with autonomous weapons is how does it define what to shoot down? anything aimed at your fleet? corp? alliance? standings list?

Everything

Don't use point defense with missile doctrines.

Probably don't get frigates too close to it either.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

thats just a smartbomb!

I know but smartbombs are dumb, my idea is cooler

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

Sort of like the BSG flak cannon thing?

I have no idea, having never watched BSG.

I just mean streams of tracers shooting at whatever is in range because streams of tracers look neat

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Other Barry posted:

I think this is BSG? I'm not sure, I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

that's hot

scandoslav posted:

I dunno, could the servers handle every ship checking the target status of every ship within range every tick?* Could they handle every ship checking for bombs within range every tick? It'd be hella neat to be able to track a bomb over a couple of ticks to see if it's headed in the direction of you or yours, but I don't think it's possible at fleet/battle scale.

Maybe the new AOE mechanics could make it work? :shrug:

*e: if they could do that it could make for some really neat logi indicators (things flashing on watchlists or w/e)

the server technically already tracks this, it'd be a fairly trivial addition. Firewalls already pretty much accomplish the same thing, just at a smaller scale.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Eonwe posted:

I was a mod of the starbound forums for a while

:yikes:

You poor bastard

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Eonwe posted:

I closed a lot of reports with 'who cares'

moderation we can believe in

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

i did similar, until people finally listened and stopped reporting so much random garbage (i closed a bunch of vyst reports like that :laugh:)

unfree deadtear from the shackles of moderation

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Sup eve workcrew

I finished my last exam hopefully ever today and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I think I'm gonna go shoot some nerds to make myself feel even better.

Working from home is the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I used to work from home. And now I don't. And that's why getting to log in and play for an evening is now a special occasion.

rip

I'm running a build and also flying a jackdaw, get on my level

• Locked thread