Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Late to the party, but orcs actually have a highly developed culture, a fact Tolkien conceals in the text by only displaying orcs acting like warlike barbarians in an attempt to dehumanize them, as the Lord of the Rings was a racist, counterrevolutionary screed against industrialization, black people and the destruction of the 'pastoral English countryside'. Peter Jackson, who is basically Tolkien's version of Leni Riefenstahl, got a little sloppy and let the "menu" reference slip through - but that's all we need to allow us to see past the propaganda and view orcs as a sensitive, artistic people who want to overthrow the elves who have been abusing them for millenia and use their engineering talents to build steam engines, running water, toilets and other modern conveniences required to open a really good orc bistro in Mordor that serves only the finest artisanal cave-grown dwarf heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Archenteron posted:

Fishing is an eternal pastime for mankind, even thousands of years ago in the future. What do you have against fishing, Kimsemus? Fishing is chill as gently caress.

Maybe they went to that ocean planet where they grew all the clone troopers once.

(Incidentally, ocean planets are the only ones where the Star Wars fascination with single-biome planets might actually be scientifically accurate).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rakeris posted:

Really? Why is that, like large desert planets aren't, or do you mean like with oxygen and stuff?

Forest moons, desert planets, et cetera, rather than the diverse ecosystems discovered by filmmakers on other inhabitable space operas.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kimsemus posted:

I sort of have this thing against fishing that I can't quite explain. It's almost subconscious.

I feel that way about monkeys, apes and other higher primates. I loving hate them. Everyone's going "oooeeeerr look at that cute little monkey," and I'm just like "Have you seen what they do when they finish evolving?!"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't get people's obsession with Star Wars.

It's pretty weird and dumb.

Yeah, I felt like a pariah for not being particularly interested in seeing the new one.

Some great space opera on TV right now, though, if "one show" counts as "some".

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Unfunny Poster posted:

Watch Ascension.

I didn't like it. Magical powers and no actual spaceship!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Endie posted:

Malcanis just explained this to me over some excellent south indian curry and brewed-under-license lagers and it opened my eyes to the realisation that Sauron actually never does much wrong while having some seriously liberal views on multi-ethnic hiring policy.

It's true! You know Elrond just wants all those filthy Orcs to go back where they came from. And he sailed off to some Elven gated community at the end.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Endie posted:

That doesn't sound tempting. Even LotR has a spaceship.

Oh, it gets worse. The spaceship everyone lives on is actually just a bullshit BioDome-style experiment; they never left Earth. Totally the space opera we've been looking for, right?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kimsemus posted:

god drat you have to admit the citadels look impressive:

Ah, interesting, from the UK, or American?

UK; he received a baronetcy or something.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Khablam posted:

Sauron works for Morgoth and seeks to blanket middle earth in his will, which is to corrupt or destroy everything good. Morgoth is literally the divine source of all evil.
It'd be like defending hitler even after you found out that the devil is real, and hitler is his conduit to put his will upon man.

Well, as long as we're godwinning - as an atheist, many people believe that I work for Satan, and that Satan is real, and evil, and not their friend. Something similar is no doubt at work here. (Somewhere in Middle Earth, an orc assigned to conquer the Shire has discovered that hobbit feet have different shapes adapted to their local environments, and is writing a treatise: 'On the Origin of Dinner'.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Terry Pratchett has great fun with atheists in his Discworld novels; they quickly invented lightning-rod helmets. (The gods of the Disc live on the Hub in its center, and tend to throw lightning bolts at the insufficiently worshipful. Or worse, come round to make all your drawers stick.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
As to his explanation as to why atheists are a thing in an overtly theistic universe: sheer human cussedness.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Unfunny Poster posted:

Vote Trump 2016.

Living up to your username with that one, my friend. :P

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Unfunny Poster posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back friend.

I'm not sure why I'd want to?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CashEnsign posted:

I played Elite Dangerous today for the first time and had to self destruct my ship because I ran out of fuel and the station wouldn't let me dock. I have found first person Eve and it's more desolate than my love life. 10/10

A hundred thousand lightyears across and an inch deep, I'm afraid.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Why do we STILL have 2 threads?

There is only one thread. Don't fall prey to Cardassian interrogation techniques.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Varial posted:

Are people still butt blasted about Goons in the tweetfleet slack?

I don't think that will be stopping any time. Ever.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Unfunny Poster posted:

Why do you dislike Taylor Swift gifs? She's a national treasure and a voice of a generation.

Thunderbro posted:

i like to forget that she exists

New York
It's waiting for you
In the bushes
With a knife

(I'm not a fan.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MacPac posted:

Tactical destroyers, or Tassies if you want to abbreviate it.

Could go with T3D and call them T3Ddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
my god this thread still exists

• Locked thread