Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I tried to reason with grrgoons on reddit following the steaming double deuce of crasskitty/lex arson drama, forgive me chill thread. I sentence myself to indefinite confinement to this thread until I truly no longer give a gently caress.

If I could get my god drat courier contract full of T1 frigates delivered to FW space I could maybe get some solo pvp practice before trying to roam in my shiny new Taranis. Gotta take a break from space nerd slapfights while I figure out what I really want to do. Right now I'm kinda spread out due to wanting to try all the things but that's gonna lead to burnout.

Ok that was a bit unchill but just had to vent, I'm cool now chill thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Confession: the only miner I have ever ganked is the one I did to get into miniluv. After that it's been freighters although killing incursion/mission bears is also a thing I want to do. Hell a good chunk of them are probably red alts since elitepvp groups make a big deal out of never ratting on their mains.

That's mainly because ganking has always been and will always be a side thing for me, plus I like scanning for whales (in short bursts) and I hate/can't effectively multibox (too new for a huge bullpen of alts, lack the means to plex 1 account much less 10+, potato computer with one screen).

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Sounds like you found a ghost site. I'm not super knowledgeable about them but if you're in GSF join the karmaholers Jabber and ping klavas, I think he does them.

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Ghost_Site

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Why are there so many dots? Is it because all of the good/legacy names are taken and/or locked away in banned accounts a la BoB and Goonfleet?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

the Gaffe posted:

Do the rats never de-spawn then?

Typically an organized daytrip group will bring in both huffers and pve ships. They trigger all of the gas timers and then do sleeper sites for 15 minutes. Then they hit all of the gas sites, clear the sleepers, and the miners are free to do their thing.

As a solo newbie your best bet is to just find a hole with a lot of gas signatures and move every 15 mins.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

the Gaffe posted:

Is there a way to check from a killmail to see what an attacking player had equipped? Or does it only show everything for the killed player. I'm trying to figure out if my latest death was due to the player pinning down the two warp cores on the Venture or my ship was simply having trouble re-aligning to my jump point after the player bumped into me.

Not directly, you can only see the weapon they used (and zkillboard can be kind of screwy with that). However if you look at their losses you can usually figure out what they were doing. If your venture had a couple warp core stabs plus its native bonus, and the other guy doesn't typically fly with dual scrams, you probably just didn't warp in time.

Also, if the dude was nice enough to reimburse you he'd probably be happy to give you advice and tell you how he got you if you ask.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Good Dumplings posted:

Make data sites worth as much as relic sites instead of 1/5th as much and I'd think about it.

No poo poo I'm not really gaining a mid because why the hell would I fit a data analyzer? I guess maybe if you're in a Stratios doing sleeper caches or ghost sites it would make sense but that's a pretty niche reason to be carrying around an expensive minesweeper module.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Jazzzzz posted:

Not sure what applications logi cruisers have outside of PVE

Fly logi and people will love you forever. Problem is, though (if you're GSF), if you're running with a public incursion fleet you'll need a dedicated alt in an NPC corp or wardeccers will eat you alive. Plus half of your fleet will be enemy alts and will ring the dinner bell immediately.

I started training up a neutral Basi alt for much the same reason (easier to get in fleets, cheaper than a bling Vindicator, so many elitepvp types run highsec incursion on alts that it's guaranteed to never get nerfed) but things I've read about a lot of these public fleets have put me off. Apparently the highsec incursion groups take min/maxing super seriously and the level of sperg from bling-obsessed highsec dwellers with no concept or ROI is through the roof. Would be interested in hearing trip reports from anyone who's flown with TVP/WTM/TDF.

I'm honestly a little stuck right now as to what to do about income. I had just about finished training skills to rat when we lost our space, having run relic sites for my first 3 months or so. I can go rat right now in Fade but I'd rather not rely on it or keep my only PVP char too occupied with PVE. Everything reliable seems to require tons of time to sit around and wait (incursions) or a year+ of training up multiple alts (L4/L5 missions). Maybe once jump clones come to Citadels I can embrace the wormhole life while being able to shoot mans from Saranen on short notice.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
So I haven't been able to do anything but station spin and occasionally pop into a standing fleet since last week due to some real-life responsibilities and I kinda lost track of my skill queue. Apparently I'm spending this week training Assault Frigates to 4 instead of going for another racial frigate or medium drones 5. I know the Enyo is supposed to be the least worst but are there any other races that are decent for solo nullsec fuckery? I guess next I'll suck it up and train for a T3D on the way to a dictor.

Also, has anyone had any luck getting public courier contracts delivered to lowsec? I'm trying to get 20 Incursus and Tristans (+ fittings) delivered to Black Rise so I can learn this whole solo thing. I've progressively upped the contract reward from 5 to 20 million over 3 weeks and there is even another 20m contract to the same station but still no takers. What's the secret? Black Frog wants me to pay for a whole jump freighter but I'd rather not drop 10% of my liquid isk on a 2/3 empty JF. :ohdear:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

nessin posted:

Pretty much the only way you'll get this delivered is if some new hauler isn't paying attention, accidentally accepts it, and actually tries to deliver it instead of saying gently caress it and eating the collateral. Chances are they will probably get killed trying to do so as well. There are multiple people providing freighter services into Saranen listed in smart on the goonfleet forums, use those. Or if you're looking to go somewhere else besides Saranen, ship them to the lowsec entry point you want and then move them in manually.

Yeah I was hoping to give Saranen a miss and go somewhere quieter where I can just go find dudes in plexes rather than the constant traffic of gangs through Saranen. Also I want to keep my Saranen clone empty so I can podex whenever I want. I'll look at staging out of the highsec exit system and if I lose the occasional frigate to a gate camp oh well :shobon:

LemonDrizzle posted:

Faction frigates are generally better options than assault frigates at the moment for a variety of reasons. If you want to try solo frigate pvp and can fly an Enyo, you can also fly a Comet, which is both cheaper and better. The Slicer is also a really great option for learning to kite, and the Hookbill is a very capable brawler (go with a dualprop fit and dumpster overconfident Sabres all day).

I have some Comets lying around, my original plan had been to get started with those. But my courier contract outlived peacetime SRP so I figured I'd get my early welps done in something cheaper. I like the Slicer idea, Crusader looks like fun ship to roam with and I'd max out my Astero's tank to boot. :black101:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Landsknecht posted:

i think when people are doing exploration (I've never done it) they kinda watch the hacking/whatever interface and not dscan

Yeah a lot of people assume they are safe in the site, I always keep local and dscan visible and check every couple nodes but a lot of people go almost full screen as if that makes the dumb mini game easier or something (it doesn't).

I used an Imicus before I trained into a covops and have a bait setup that I want to take out one of these days, don't think it could take an astero unless it was shitfit but bombers or t1/t2 explo frigates will be fun targets.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Please don't make deadtear cross-cute-post in the chill thread ok

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Is the L4 money (with or without burners) something that starts out decent and scales up over time, or is it kind of an all-or-nothing exercise? For a newer player without a huge stable of high-SP alts, is it something that can be scaled into over time, or is it a case of "put alts in the cooker, check back in 8 months"?

I was originally thinking of training an incursion logi alt but I don't really have the luxury of waiting at my computer for hours on a wait list for a public group. I need something I can do whenever I've got 15-30 minutes to spare and not feel like I have to poopsock to make up for time spent waiting.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Is that still hangover from the guy who put in massive buy orders right before the patch to leverage the lower NPC tax rate? I don't buy plex so I'm not really clear on the current state of the market.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Whatever anti-RMT measures CCP has aside - he's margin trading so he really only needs enough isk to cover initial collateral + whatever volume he does between logins, assuming his sell orders are filling at roughly the same rate as his buys. If someone showed up with enough plex to fill all of those buy orders I imagine the check would bounce (figuratively speaking of course).

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
There's only one way I'm aware of to lose probes and you just done did it.

Assuming your exit bookmark chain is no good, you might be SOL unless somene passing through can be convinced to take pity on you. I always carry a spare set of sisters probes in case I get disconnected but the cheap ones should work just fine for an emergency escape.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm out of the game for a few weeks and want to get involved with GFSC when I get back. Trying to do some advance prep on my skill queue because I'm a newbee who can't really do poo poo with anything just yet.

Pretty sure I'll fill up the next 20 days just training for the Caracal but I'm wondering if I also need to train leadership skills.

I read this but still find the leadership system kinda confusing. If I read it correctly, if I am an FC my leadership skills don't matter at all until I hit Fleet Command, and my fleet will not receive any boosts besides what their wing and squad commanders provide (including links). Therefore training those skills is only marginally useful until I'm ready to spend a couple months training to FC4. Is that correct?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
My last ticket (relating to a launcher issue which really only stopped me from using Project Discovery, so not a showstopper) was open for almost a month. CCP gave me 27 days of free game time for the wait though :shrug:

LemonDrizzle posted:

You only need Fleet Command trained to pass down bonuses if you expect to be leading fleets of more than 50 characters (well, 51 including yourself). That said, the entire gang boosting/leadership system is going to be reworked in a few months, so you may want to hold off on training the skills until you know how the new system will work.

Thanks, I've already had some experiences with SP goalposts moving so I get what you're saying. Is not having those skills something that is likely to cripple a fleet? Not uncommon for GSF Caracal and interceptor fleets to hit > 50 dudes but I don't think those fleets typically run links either.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Assuming you're not on a crazy tight budget, upgrade the weapons, shield mods, and afterburner to meta modules - for a lot of things meta 3 seems to be an inflection point on the price/performance curve but YMMV depending on the market. I have a couple arty ruptures in highsec that aren't seeing any use, I could contract you one if you want to strip anything off it or need a spare hull.

Also if you train for shield upgrades 4 (day and a half maybe?) you can use the T2 large shield extender which will help with your passive regeneration as well (since it is % based).

After that you'd probably be OK for belt rats I guess? I've only tried that a few times but a Catalyst or Algos worked in Dek (albeit very slowly and ready to run if taking too much damage).

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Hagop posted:

Oh cool, how much do you want for the ruptures?

I'm assuming from your post that you're a newbie, so nada :sun: Eve mail Mauris Kado and I'll contract you the one I have in Jita (the other is on my gank alt in ~a place~). It's fit for cyno ganking so you'll probably want to strip and sell most of the modules.

Ugh standings grind, I need to do that too. But first I gotta decide if I want to keep a market/mission alt with Miniluv in his corp history or just reroll. Probably just gonna chance it, I'm impatient and don't want to have to train all those trade skills again :v:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Pyfa will do most of that in that it will tell you the price as well as what skills you are missing to "sit in" the ship and online the modules (except PG/CPU skills - have to figure that out yourself).

A lot of lowsec gate camps happen at highsec-lowsec border systems. You can sometimes spot them by looking at kills on the in-game map or dotlan. Example:

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Heimatar#kills

If you look at this and also view the map by Security, you can see that Amamake is a highsec to lowsec entry point and that a lot of nerds have died there in the past hour(?) relative to the rest of the area.

The same generally holds true for nullsec and of course this won't help you spot a new or roving gate camp. It could also just mean there was a big fight in the system. But for border systems and pipe systems a gatecamp should be expected if you also see a lot of kills.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Holy poo poo that amount destroyed. That's an all timer.

edit: wait, is that ship really worth 100 billion or is the site hosed up?

I don't see how it can have a market value for supers/titans so it's probably just some notional number. I think it does the same thing for AT ships.

A quick look at the Eve-O forums shows travel fit Revenants going for ~100b so maybe it's not that far off :shrug:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

FranktheBank posted:

Did all 35 seriously drop?

The loot fairy said yessir

If something is in a single stack either all of it drops or none of it drops.

More SP for Miniluv dudes to get into bombers :toot:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
It can solo bad/poorly skilled/poorly fit ratters. Plenty of Horde out there in VNIs with T1 light drones (or none at all).

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Carth Dookie posted:

I've wondered about that.

New players in an injector era EVE have a much more obvious path to higher SP than pre injector new players. I'm curious about the difference in attitude it breeds.

I used it to get past some of the more ridiculous time-gated skills (CPU/Powergrid/Electronics Upgrades/Hull Upgrades/Weapon Upgrades 5) and ultimately into an interceptor and bomber weeks earlier than I could have otherwise. At the time those were basically the only fleets going out and if I had spent another month spinning in a shitfit T1 frigate with gimped fittings I may not have kept playing.

Granted I was able to due this largely thanks to an unusual windfall for a newbie, because CODE. had paid me 3b for finding them a plex-tanked Obelisk :v:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Jazzzzz posted:

half? no, but I've had issues with various single modules (usually an MJD) going offline after session changes

This has happened to me on a miniluv scan alt as well, half of my midslots went offline after taking a gate.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

ullerrm posted:

It'll work as long as you're on the ball. But, if they can cargoscan you even once, they'll smartbomb you. I'd use a blockade runner.

Blockade runner roulette isn't unheard of. Would probably be harder to set up a coordinated smartbomb camp ahead of an interceptor than to get lucky on an instalock or decloak on a BR.

Of course the real correct answer is a collateralized courier contract. Red Frog/Blue Frog are way cheaper than losing your expensive poo poo because you wanted to save a few isk.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I read that as BPOs rather than BPCs. Regardless the tanked interceptor is probably a better bet than a BR that might get shot just to see what's inside.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Nunes posted:

Are there any good resources online that I can do some reading to learn basic principles and ideas for learning to get better at pvp? I primarily want to understand how to start thinking about fitting and how to recognize if I have the right ship/fit for a particular engagement in pvp. I hope this question makes sense. I don't have a lot of successful experience with pvp.

The Eve is Easy stuff by suitonia is very accessible and he does a good job at explaining what he's doing and why he's doing it. It's very T1 frigate-focused but that's the best way to learn anyways (especially now that there is no waffe double SRP on Comets :sigh:)

I just put a stack of Tristans, Incursi(?), and Atrons into Ichoriya and now that I have time to play again am going to try welping a couple every day until I don't suck :black101:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
If it's an item with decent daily volume your order will usually clear in a day or two - not ideal if you need isk right now but helpful if you can afford to be patient.

I saved 20m on a Mach hull given I was willing to wait overnight. That's not bad when you're space poor like me (one good freighter ransom and it will be paid for though :toot:)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

bluegoon posted:

Won't doing that help with warping away because velocity needed?

No because your velocity vector needs to be going in the correct direction as well as > 75% of max speed.

Mining aligned with a Higgs anchor is the way to instawarp out of trouble.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Ambaire posted:

I thought pre-spawning concord was considered a banning offense for exploiting game mechanics.

It's biomassing the throwaway alts to "reset" their sec status that gets people banned.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Dalael posted:

Bike vs anthill vs physics? Please, tell us more :allears:

Where do you live that this sounds particularly odd or unbelievable? Cuz I'm packing up my bags and moving there right now.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
No I meant where does Dalael live that anthills capable of tripping up a bike are unheard of

It was a dumb joke about how much I hate fire ants which only about a third of the US has to deal with

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

bluegoon posted:

Those sound pretty loving intense, does it hurt?

Individually: Worse than a mosquito bite but not as bad as a wasp sting. Moderately spicy with a fruity aftertaste.

Problem is if you step on a nest or get caught by one of their floating ant boats of doom they swarm all over you and then send out a pheremone signal to attack. So you get like 300 of the fuckers on you before they start stinging and draw attention to themselves. Also they love being around people/buildings and are drawn to electric fields which results in them being a major cause of electrical shorts :eng101:

They're actually reasonably tolerable here in Texas unless you get an infestation in your house, but growing up in Louisiana they were loving everywhere. I was a clumsy child who spent a lot of time outside so I got eaten alive fairly regularly. Like this idiot but unintentionally because holy poo poo why would you ever do this on purpose.

Libluini posted:

Man, Canadian ant hills are really tiny. For comparion's sake, this is a German one:

It's from the Wildeshauser Geest in Northern Germany, where I live. Personally, I have seen some about half that size, but still large enough I really don't want to accidentally crash my bike into one.

Yikes, nothing around here makes ant hills that big. I think the bigger danger to a bike from a fire ant mound would be the wheel sinking in (if you step on one your foot can end up an inch or two underground) rather than hitting a wall like that.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Just breaks the lock.

The old ECM burst Ares fit for swordfleets was a great way to whore on blue kills :grin:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Go to Riever's logi anchor training, even if you don't plan on being a logi anchor. I like to have context in my head rather than just brainlessly orbiting and mashing F keys and she does a really good good job of explaining what the anchor does in different circumstances and why.

e: details are in TWR on the GSF forums

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Elsa posted:

Also go on Riever's logi anchor training because she has a really nice voice and accent.

True, now that she is in GSF Moomin has some competition.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Reverand maynard posted:

I still think sp rewards for a questline would be amazing, especially for new players. Their method though was trivial effort and trivial reward. It could also be tied in with new opportunities. Your first fully mined asteroid gives sp, first completed mission gives sp, exploration, FW kill, etc.

I also think that after a new account has been subbed for say, three months they get a special skill extractor that when used immediately injects the sp back in as unallocated sp. The min/max of training punishes players that dabble in mining, dabble in industry while also trying to pvp. Hell, this would be a radical change but why can't new players train 1 industry skill at the same time as 1 pvp skill? Revamp civilian modules and give them good base stats but make them unaffected by skills. Civilian 150mm autocannon that is not modified by any gunnery skills but with base stats that make it the equivilant of a 150mm auto 2 used by a character with every gunnery skill to 3.

Or make the SOE epic arc give a bump to fitting skills (shortcut to CPU5/PG5 maybe, or your choice of frigate 5 and small weapon 5) rather than standings, or even just a skill injector. It's modest but not insurmountable :effort: for a genuine newbie and shortcuts them around skills that really only serve as time gates for new players (and cash grabs in terms of training time for alts).

The balance of the universe will not be shifted if Little Johnny gets into a reasonably competent T1 frigate a couple weeks sooner, but he might keep playing after his 3 week trial if he has a taste of real progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Elsa posted:

for what, who wears a bigger bra?

And here I was worried people would think my tongue in cheek post was goony creeping instead :v:

Also my phone tried to autocorrect think to thong I'm just bringing out the worst in everything today :ohdear:

• Locked thread