Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm looking for something new and fun to play that will take up a lot of time. Just hoping for something immersive and enjoyable with a good story and that brings you back hour after hour. This is out on Xbox now and I was wondering about it. You all seem to be having fun? How does this game fare with the hopes above?

Is it hard to figure out? I have never had much luck with survival games. Like, I died in The Long Dark so quickly and couldn't figure poo poo out. Maybe Everspace is a good option as well?

Fun, yes. Take up a lot of time? Maybe, depending on how much you like building bases. Immersive and enjoyable, yes. Good story, not really (yet, anyway). It's not very hard. It's much different than The Long Dark, not anywhere near as unforgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ARK is very bad. The Long Dark is cool if you can accept that you will die at some point.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

man you guys sound pretty spergy yourselves, Subnautica is still a fun and good game for people not Invested In The Principles of Gaming

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Co-op multiplayer Subnautica is pretty interesting so far.

hunh? i thought the official stance was that it's not happening

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

someone who knows about this kind of stuff- how does the PUBG map compare to the Subnautica map? is it even a reasonable comparison to make?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

everyone got your captain murphy gear on?

im gonna be an adrienne barbeau-bot

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm playing on hardcore, are there any 'gotcha' deaths 35 hours in to the game?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

uXs posted:

So what are the chances of a quick mod that gives fabricators the ability to pull stuff out of storage? I want to start playing but if there are QoL mods coming in the relatively near future I'd rather wait.

slim to none

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

grrr, i played this game for about 15 hours in the beta and stopped when i realized it can't really be replayed. so i started again after release. died 2 hours into a hardcore save, then 7 hours in to one. both times, 100% my fault. however, what's making me want to quit is that i beached a seamoth on the floating island that somehow is stuck in the terrain. i know it's there because i can see its lights literally from the enforcement platform at night, and i can see its beacon on my pda. i've lost 2 more seamoths since i beached that one and every time i've had to build a new mobile vehicle bay because the one i built the previous seamoth with just doesn't work- i have the mats, i click the button, nothing happens.

can't find any console commands that work on seamoths. starting to get pissed. i dont want to have to rebuild a bay too every time i lose a vehicle...

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Can someone explain to me what my motivation is for building and using this escape rocket.

It seems like a bad idea.

finishing the game

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey thanks, I wasn't looking forward to swimming back and building a new sea moth from scratch. This worked out fine.

restart your game if you want to get cheevos

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mrenda posted:

I have my habitat builder gun thingy and I'm wondering about how I build stuff. I got that you lay a (single?) foundation tile, but then I just have corridors in my blueprint files for the moment. I have some of the scanner room, but apart from that no other rooms. Are corridors enough for me to place useful things in them?

yep

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

don't play hardcore. or you might get glitched under geometry by a crabsquid and be unable to use the console to warp yourself out and lose yet another 7 hours to a dumb glitch, or you might open the hatch to your cyclops, click the button to enter, hear a roar and then see the game over screen and lose 5 hours :tipshat:

at this point the good part of blowing it so many times is that i can be in a cyclops in pretty much two hours from a fresh start now

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Taerkar posted:

I glitched through the floor of The Primary Containment Facility and almost got killed twice by the rocket platform having a collision issue with the PRAWN suit.

I never actually died during my survival playthrough and hardcore doesn't make it any more difficult to my knowledge.

nope. there's not even a cheevo for it. just a glutton for punishment i guess

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i've never used a bioreactor before, is one marblemelon supposed to get me through pretty much the entire endgame?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Section Z posted:

500 energy is basically gently caress all if you're actually using your base for anything but lighting. And the bio reactor is essentially a fancy battery, because no matter what you put in it, it only has an output of "roughly 25 energy per minute".

That said, the main difference in what fuel you use is just how often you have to refill the thing. Stuffing it full of melons is about 2,000 energy total, because they are large objects. Peepers add up to about 12k energy down to having higher value and only being 1 tile objects.

one tray of marblemelons in the base and one in the 'clops has trivialized food, water and power for the last half of this game

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Nope. I legit have no clue why the game decided it was suddenly time for me to die.

i had exactly a similar thing happen- i was out of the cyclops for five seconds to get a ruby, i know for drat sure there was nothing out there. swim back to the 'clops, click 'enter'...fade to black, game over screen

no warning, no chance to react, save deleted. dont play hardcore ever and yeah if thats not in the op it oughta be

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Are the jelly caves the only place you can get magnetite?

no but it's as good a place as any, really

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i mean if you listen to the radio and follow the story beats you get the multipurpose room in the first hour to two hours of the story

you don't need it before that

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

The only radio transmission I didn't follow-up immediately was the one where the location was corrupted, although I think I found it by myself later. Where exactly are the multipurpose room blueprints according to the story?
Also I made it to the mountain island, but I sure didn't find an alien portal. Got a hint on that? (I did get the weird voice asking me who I was)... I don't think I've even found the other island you mentioned, haha.

You're making valid complaints, and if the game made an effort to speed you along the story I'd agree, but I've just been relaxing and exploring at my own pace and am having a blast. Even in regular survival mode, it's really easy to stay healthy and hydrated.

The overarching story seems pretty neat, but I'm 100% content to let it unfold as it comes and just keep puttering around.

Hopefully they fix the draw distance in a future patch though :(

'Commander Keen's Lask Known Location' or something like that leads you to the floating island where you find the multipurpose room, bulkhead, desk, chair, observatory, a bunch of flora...it's a big moment

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bobfly posted:

So, uh, I built a base. It's flooded when I enter, and when I exit I have stopped using oxygen. And when I exit and enter the game, I can swim in the air.

Truly, it is a transcendental experience. But I'm not sure I'm ready for zen yet. Did I balls something up? I installed Hexidave's mods and proceeded to play offline. I don't know if that caused it, or if the game is just super buggy.

its the mods

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Vargs posted:

The cyclops barely uses any power if you have the efficiency upgrade. You can find an already-built one in the Aurora. You also might have lava slugs attached to your sub. Those drain energy.

if you unseat the cells before you hop in your prawn you won't attract as many larvae either

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

finally beat this game which felt like kind of a chore towards the end

if they add an achievement for hardcore honor will force me to play it again

i'll also likely buy the dlc

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Watch the achievement fail to trigger like the other end-of-game ones do.

i'm sure we will get them retroactively. on a side note, my time capsule was a repulsion cannon, a model of the aurora, and a cup of coffee

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Repulsion canon is something I never bothered to make but on my run but I got a free one out of a time capsule so I actually tried it. Its actually pretty nice; you can't kill stuff with it but you do boot them so far away they might as well be dead. The advantage it has over the stasis rifle is that its smaller and fires faster, with no chance of accidentally locking down your ship. So I actually have a reason to keep using it. I only pull out the stasis rifle if I want to permanently remove predators that are giving me problems.

Also its just funny to see a sandshark skid across the ground and off a cliff.

it's great for blowing larva off your 'clops at the endgame

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I'm actually sad I beat the game. I won't be able to discover all those neat locations for the first time again...

tbh the end for me was kind of a slog. to be fair, i did put in 20 hours before launch and had about another 15 worth of hardcore deaths...but i was ready for it to be over.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Do multiple prawn jump modules stack the effectiveness or fuel or anything for the jets? Debating what 4 upgrades i like.

nope. upgraded jets and drill arm at least are mandatory, thermal power is nice for the endgame too

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

my mistake :shrug:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

lol why would my alien thermal plant visit cheevo not trigger? because i got my blue tablet from a time capsule?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

is there supposed to be a signal that tells you where the thermal plant is? the wiki has conflicting info and i never got that signal in my game, nor did the achievement trigger

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

sitting in chairs is great when you need to smoke a bowl

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

I got this game last week and finally finished it. I got stuck for a little bit because I never visited the Sunbeam landing site before the ship got shot down; turns out that deletes the marker so I ended up farting around to the point I built a Cyclops before I realized the mountain island was a thing.

Had a lot of fun while at it, though. I have a Rift so I played the game through entirely in VR; aside from a few niggles (awkward keypad/Cyclops touchscreen, not being able to rename beacons) it was ridiculously immersive. It took me half the first in-game day to psych myself up to actually jump into the sea; by the third day I was punting sharks clear across the reef with the prop cannon.

My time capsule has a view of the sunrise from my rocket pad, one of those adorable kitten posters, and the Prawn grappling and drill arms, thermal reactor module and jump jet booster. Would've put the cuddlefish egg in there but it didn't let me for some reason.

i am jealous as gently caress

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

obviously very spoiler heavy but if you are stuck in storyline progression you can always look here: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Storyline

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Or see if I have the patience to try Survival mode for the long haul.

survival mode basically lasts for a couple of hours and then it's just Subnautica, incidentally. food and water are negated entirely by marblemelons

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm actually fine with more of the same when it comes to this game

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

Like Nintendo did with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask? Clever.

Edit: I failed to save the Sunbeam :sad:

Edit edit: Why the gently caress is this a thing.

you can't save it

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

At first i am sure i read that night time things became more aggressive. I think i spent the first 3 hours refusing to leave the lifepod or its top when night fell because i was scared.

This is the kind of thing that increases immersion and makes a playthrough more meaningful, i really wish the game wasn't too buggy to play hardcore and that there was a cheevo for doing so. i'd replay it then

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I found a cave on one of the dry islands that was filled to the brim with nothing but lithium.

gun island has a poo poo ton of lithium and diamond

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

don't play hardcore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

You're not my real dad I do what I want :colbert:

.. seriously though, is there a reason why you shouldn't?

if you've read the thread, you've seen all the complaints (mine included) of losing hardcore games after investing dozens of hours because you get glitched into the geometry or something

there's literally no reward for it, either