Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016
I had to look up the entrance on youtube. I have a bad habit of hugging walls which means I often miss poo poo that's right in front of me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Bazanga posted:

Go to the Northwestern Mushroom Forest, there is a giant mushroom tree in the middle that is impossible to miss. Around the base are 5ish gel sacks. I grabbed those and just set up an external plant bed at my base to farm them for the future.

Cool, that worked. I looked in there before, including the little cave system, but didn't see them on the first pass. This time around I met a big boy on the way too. I saved and hosed around near him, but he ignored me. Odd.

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Section Z posted:

I'm still very glad the heat knife (and knives in general) don't have durability meters anymore.

The Ultra glide fins are also surprisingly useful if you have come to realize 90% of your battery usage is using the seaglide. I've ended up needing to stuff batteries in the charger less often thanks to those things than when using the charge fins.

The charge fins work even when using the seaglide, you'll never have to replace the battery on it. I don't think I've ever had to use the battery charger for anything except after using the habitat builder a ton indoors. The charge fins are way more useful. Unless its not intended and they patch it out.

Add me to the list of people who completely missed the blue key card in the lava Castle. They really need to add something more noticeable to make you investigate it. Right now it just looks like a neat geological landmark.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Can you get the charge fins rather early in the game?
that is when then would be most useful.
I just started to exploit the lava area and completely missed them. I also completely missed the armored suit so I had to backtrack to a part of the world I never really explored to find them, it wasn't even that deep.

I am scared shirtless of the western areas with no cover and a capton of leviathan, I would assume there is some good stuff there but I already lost a seamoth there...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dick Valentine posted:

The charge fins work even when using the seaglide, you'll never have to replace the battery on it. I don't think I've ever had to use the battery charger for anything except after using the habitat builder a ton indoors. The charge fins are way more useful. Unless its not intended and they patch it out.

Add me to the list of people who completely missed the blue key card in the lava Castle. They really need to add something more noticeable to make you investigate it. Right now it just looks like a neat geological landmark.
I will fully admit it's as much the fact charge fins have zero swim speed buff just bothering me, as the fact for the seaglide alone I've had plenty of times where I somehow ended up needing to recharge batteries less without charge fins than with.

It's that drat minimum speed for getting a charge out of the fins I guess. When I'm just lazily puttering around wrecks or poking at caves, I guess I must spend a LOT of time under par for kicking in the charge fins.

No getting around the fact ultra fins do jack poo poo for hand tools though. I can fool myself that the ultra glide fins are cool when swimming at a good speed while wearing all the stuff that makes you slower. Not so much after opening several doors with the laser cutter.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I haven't had any story progress since fixing the Aurora and even that was just me deciding to finally go there. Before that I was pointed to... Commander Keen's beacon on the dry land island I think? It didn't point me anywhere

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

For me, its that I can't stand the swim charge fin's noise. Its not THAT bad, and i'm sure I'd get used to it if I gave it a shot - buuut the glide finds and a lightweight tank just make you so much faster, I almost can't live without it. Specially when you have air supplying vehicles nearby in the lategame.

Though this was an opinion formed before the power charger fuckery in the cyclops; but if I ever run out of power in a handtool I pop a battery out of something else and fix it later when I'm back at base. Nine times out of ten, the scanner is just a spare battery waiting to happen.

So for me, the speed increase doing things is worth the hastle of plopping stuff in chargers later.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It would be nice if the game communicated being able to change out batteries like ever, I was thinking Id have to make a new Seaglide. This game could have used a bit more dev time maybe.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Doesn't it say like "press R to exchange power source" when it runs out?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I haven't had any story progress since fixing the Aurora and even that was just me deciding to finally go there. Before that I was pointed to... Commander Keen's beacon on the dry land island I think? It didn't point me anywhere

Keens coordinate are corrupted and don't show on the hud. However there is a PDA entry telling you where to look for him, I think it's under "clues".
The dry land doesn't renter well until you are very close to it I don't know if there is a plot reason for it. The easiest way to find land is to stay at the surface and look for odd thing on the horizon. It is like 2km max from the pod so you ought to see it in such clear weather.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Cicadalek posted:

Doesn't it say like "press R to exchange power source" when it runs out?

Yes.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Krogort posted:

Keens coordinate are corrupted and don't show on the hud. However there is a PDA entry telling you where to look for him, I think it's under "clues".
The dry land doesn't renter well until you are very close to it I don't know if there is a plot reason for it. The easiest way to find land is to stay at the surface and look for odd thing on the horizon. It is like 2km max from the pod so you ought to see it in such clear weather.

Oh sorry I meant I got to the dry land pda and it seemed like a dead end. Did I miss something on the island

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
There is some story to unravel on the island, look at the game launch trailer on YouTube for hints.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
So what are the chances of a quick mod that gives fabricators the ability to pull stuff out of storage? I want to start playing but if there are QoL mods coming in the relatively near future I'd rather wait.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I feel bad eating peepers because they're adorable.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

uXs posted:

So what are the chances of a quick mod that gives fabricators the ability to pull stuff out of storage? I want to start playing but if there are QoL mods coming in the relatively near future I'd rather wait.

slim to none

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Wow, the late game went by real quick. Did the Thermal Plant -> Primary Containment Facility -> Sea Emperor - > making the cure for ocean AIDS in like 2 hours. Next time I'll try deactivating the alien cannon, then I guess I just need to gather materials for the rocket?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The late game is a lot more linear than the start because there's really only one place you need to go, the rest of the game is just about collecting poo poo to make your life easier.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
According to the wiki, alien containment is now only in two specific wrecks (you can easily miss)? This loving game, sometimes.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 31, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I only just realised that fabricating repair tools is the most efficient way to create more batteries before going to the Aurora, allowing you to use the copper for beacons, wires and solar panels instead.

Bhodi posted:

According to the wiki, alien containment is now only in two specific wrecks (you can easily miss)? This loving game, sometimes.

wait, what? I'm assuming it's still in one of the Degasi wrecks, in the grand reef?

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 31, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

double nine posted:

I only just realised that fabricating repair tools is the most efficient way to create more batteries before going to the Aurora, allowing you to use the copper for beacons, wires and solar panels instead.

wait, what? I'm assuming it's still in one of the Degasi wrecks, in the grand reef?
I was pretty sure I remembered a second one, but I haven't found it / been guided there yet. My last playthrough was long enough ago (and they've moved things around) that I've forgotten where everything is. I had figured there'd be a beacon or something but the last PDA message I have is "We need to go deeper".

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
The waypoint to the 500m degasi base is in the 250m one in Jellyshroom caves. If you miss that PDA though, no waypoint.

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Night10194 posted:

They're not just adorable...
endgame spoilers
They are smart enough to have been trained by the sea emperor leviathan to carry the enzyme and bring it to the surface through the alien vents. They are the reason the bacterium hasn't completely wiped out all life on the planet. :3:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Night10194 posted:

I feel a little brutal when I climb into my peeper tank, casually execute three of their number by heat blade, then climb out and stuff my loving face with them in front of the glass while the survivors look on, but life in nature is brutal I guess. Definitely don't feel bad about bootstrapping an expansion base with a temporary bioreactor and the sandshark I hatched to identify their eggs though! Batteries for the hab tool aren't just going to charge themselves, fucker.

Also, I put up my second base on a mountain ridge between the floating islands and the big northern Blood Kelp zone, it turns out about 400m from the Blood Kelp entrance to the Lost River (max-upgraded scanner room showed me 5 nickel ore just past the entrance to the tunnel, loving score). I tossed down three thermal reactors with a power line on the Floating Islands seafloor and named the beacon Three Towers, but it could barely keep up with a filter and the scanner room and I was too tired/high/strung out on deep water to come up with another name...

So I just built two more clutches of three thermal reactors, thinking I could daisy-chain the power line from that main-effort base to a moonpool-scanner-fabricator-filter base on the intersection between the northern tip of the western Mushroom Forest, western Blood Kelp boundary, and the eastern edge of the Dunes, but it turns out a power line is a plant-to-habitat only proposition, one can't place branches or run a line from a connected hab. So, get the gently caress out of here nuclear, my main base has 9 thermal plants for a 2250 power maximum. Shifted around my crafting room to fit another filter into it because loving come on. And, I still need to find a thermal source for the eastern scan station.

It's a travesty that this game released without a Cyclops umbilical dock, gently caress a thermal reactor upgrade for that thing just let me mainline this planet's geothermal potential right into my exploitation machines.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 31, 2018

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Oh sorry I meant I got to the dry land pda and it seemed like a dead end. Did I miss something on the island

The PDA you need is really easy to miss. It's in a small rock tunnel just southeast of the main habitat on the island.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The biggest faults of Subnautica are that it's nigh impossible to know if you've missed something plot-critical, that there's very little replayability and that the goddamn Terraformer is still in the game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Real talk it was a huge shock to me when I started the game up, made two air tanks, and the second one did nothing. I'd taken a long break while waiting for the game to finish development; when did they remove the old 'carry more than one tank but swim slower' thingy?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Night10194 posted:

Real talk it was a huge shock to me when I started the game up, made two air tanks, and the second one did nothing. I'd taken a long break while waiting for the game to finish development; when did they remove the old 'carry more than one tank but swim slower' thingy?

Couple of months ago i think. I think it's better this way tho, more bagspace and the high capacity tanks gives you several minutes of air.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I remember reading that you can swap out the tanks mid-dive and it'll refill your oxygen now so there's kinda a reason for having more than one early game when you don't have the seamoth for infinite air refills. Never actually tested if it works though.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

endlessmonotony posted:

The biggest faults of Subnautica are that it's nigh impossible to know if you've missed something plot-critical, that there's very little replayability and that the goddamn Terraformer is still in the game.

I think the game has decent replayability. I've done about a dozen full playthroughs (8-10+ hrs. each) since they added the disease cure. It's fun to try different routes and build spots and to increase your efficiency over time. I'm a sucker for underwater science-y stuff though, so the core gameplay is enough of a hook for me to not get bored.

Terraformer is only accessible through the console and any changes you make aren't saved so they revert once the chunk/batch gets reloaded. Not sure what's wrong with that.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Wow, the late game went by real quick. Did the Thermal Plant -> Primary Containment Facility -> Sea Emperor - > making the cure for ocean AIDS in like 2 hours. Next time I'll try deactivating the alien cannon, then I guess I just need to gather materials for the rocket?

Yeah I thought it just wizzed by me. When I got cured, I had already obsessively hoarded materials for most everything. After I turned the cannon off, I just made a few back and forth trips between my base and the launch platform and finished the game.

I'm hoping for some sort of DLC at this point. It would be neat having more to explore or having another goal to work towards.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

It's insane they don't have base light control similar to the Cyclops

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Google Butt posted:

It's insane they don't have base light control similar to the Cyclops

You can always flood a floor of the base to turn the lights a bit dimmer.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I just picked this up after hearing good things from friends for awhile and seeing it was finally a real game. I kinda went in expecting a proc gen world for some reason, but it's still cool and probably wouldn't look as nice if it was random. I accidentally built a small base and then lost it because I didn't know about beacons and relied on the compass and distance from the life pod. I guess maybe I'll stumble across it again in the future.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I am currently trying to shove my Cyclops through the Reef entrance to get it into the River and boy oh boy is this a pain in the rear end.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Just take another route, there are several.

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
Looks like I parked my scanner room in just the right spot to get this dope rear end hologram.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

regular mike posted:

Looks like I parked my scanner room in just the right spot to get this dope rear end hologram.

I want to see that with all 4 range modules :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sadly it clips through the floor quite easily when you're in a vertical space. They really need an option to move the model around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.