Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Wanted to add my love for this game. The variety needs work still but the atmosphere is like no other game I've played. Parts of the game aren't challenging enough yet, like research or base strategy. I'd love for the Leviathan and who knows what else to pay a visit to your base now and then, if only to actually make you deal with the flooding mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

teknologik posted:

Picking up this game to eventually play with Oculus, even though I have some Thalassophobia and will probably have a heart attack.

Can confirm there be leviathans in those depths, trust the lightless abyss not diver.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Honky Dong Country posted:

I haven't played in awhile, are the other leviathans in yet or just the reaper still?

I actually hope not, the deep dark places are already unnerving as gently caress sometimes.

Not yet and that's a goddamn shame but it's fun to mess with fellow thalassophobes

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Honky Dong Country posted:

It's less that I'm the gently caress THE OCEAN type and more that I had a bad experience with a reaper and the idea of bigger poo poo makes me fear for my cyclops' safety. I knew that the reaper would attack the seamoth so I got the idea to get out of it and use outcrops and poo poo to avoid getting eaten.

Except as I swam away the reaper grabbed my empty seamoth, raised it from the seabed and slammed it back down, shattering it to pieces and leaving me in very dangerous waters with no ride. :(

I had the exact same experience, I still remember it vividly. Something about the way the Reaper grabbed the Seamoth made me go NOPE and hop out. Fortunately there was a little hole below me that I swam into as the Leviathan swam off with my Seamoth. 10/10 would fear the deep again. Now THAT is the kind of thing they need more of in the game, not sea mushroom farming or whatever the hell they just put in.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I want more creatures capable to threatening the Cyclops. Like if this game doesn't end up being that scene where they take a sub through Naboo's core I will lose the ability to feel human.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

GlyphGryph posted:

Two words: Sea Emperor

I don't really know what it is, but they are going to live underneath the lava zone and rumors say they will be very large

I want that and then I want the devs to say gently caress it and release a dlc that's basically one of those pictures of the progressively bigger fishes eating each other with the Sea Emperor as the little fish. And release a bunch of upgrades to the cyclops and make the map 30x bigger and procedurally generated :swoon:

E: like I'm envisioning you taking an artifact from one side of the map to the other, refueling your now elerium-powered cyclops at strategically placed seabed fuel stations, but Something Big is chasing you so you have to lure it past Something Bigger to actually be able to escape it.

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 23, 2016

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Hell I'd settle for a Cataclysm-graphics-level game as long as it delivered the ability to build and survive in a sea base while dealing with hostile underwater leviathans.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I keep playing this game on hardcore, dying, and then being too slow to savescum before my progress gets wiped. Reminds me of Sunless Sea

I guess I'm saying game is good and I am a sadistic person

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 16, 2016

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I seem to have a thing for getting eaten by worms. The first time I went to explore the abandoned base, got savaged by the giant worm thing repeatedly on exit, and drowned. The second time I was exploring a cave with those weird worm plant things that can hit you from really far away. I left my little subber and immediately started taking mega damage from every direction, died before I could get back in. And the game closed like instantly. Gotta say, it was pretty hardcore

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Three-Phase posted:

DON'T CARE BUTTON, please add this image to the OP. Thanks in advance.

Quoting this so nobody can remove my double quote ever

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Section Z posted:

If you set up a Bio Reactor in a room directly under one with alien containment, DOES it directly feed into it? If so, is it automatic, or does it just link the menu so you can transfer stuff into it without running around separate rooms?

What

WHAT

No, no you cannot set up some terrifying horror house perpetual motion fish dissolver to power you base forever. Who.... thinks of that? Why would you think that was an option? I can't tell if I should be impressed or afraid of your post

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

If the game ever lets you connect an alien habitat to a bio generator, I want a button you press on the generator that opens up a hole in the bottom of the fish tank with like a big blender that starts sucking stuff from the tank down into the reactor

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Oh drat I think it's been ten years since I've heard that, but yeah, instantly remembered.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

The Little Fuckers should only pop once, so I Iike to take my powerglide thing in and just keep going through until I come out in another spot with three or four of them chasing me. Then I go out for air and come back down to loot the cave.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Oh man you haven't lived until you've got a battery charger and two sets of seaglide batteries. How do you even collect resources?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

The reactor blowing up throws radiation around the Aurora for now, so you can't go there until you make a special lead wetsuit and have a death wish.

Basically keep exploring deeper, you'll find cool new poo poo to build. Right now there's no endgame but there's plenty of legitimately cool scary challenges to overcome and neat things to make, which is about as much as much as you can say for any unfinished survival game.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Is there any way to get your seamoth to survive below 300m? I put a second depth extended in there after finding it in the Aurora but it didn't seem to do anything.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I think he's just terrified about his upcoming aquatic adventures and taking it out on the devs

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Closes notebook where the header is "All fish have tits?" is circled several times

Now that sounds like the kind of idea the boy mayor of second life would come up with

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah it would be great if you could make some sort of "lifepod anchor" and sink the lifepod after the "tutorial" of learning how to make stuff, then build your base out from the lifepod. Give the lifepod a witty ai complaining about being cramped or whatnot and you just added another character in a really unique way. It could integrate with some sort of server room or the camera room (and actually make you go scope things out).

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I would absolutely want an underwater Jarvis for my seabese

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Thankfully the game is more "gradual exposure therapy", like it literally starts you in the shallow end and trains you to slowly explore further and further. In fact it's pretty much an ideal metaphor for that process

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

It's almost like we instinctually have a fear of being in an environment where we can easily die or get get eaten by something... wonder why that could possibly be.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Ask me about dying on a 6 hr plus run to a stinging cave jellyfish

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

My friends and I have been playing Haven & Hearth lately, its a lot like finlandsim, especially with permadeath, foraging, and crafting mechanics, but with a veneer of runescape style mmo over the whole thing. Very fun to play with a dedicated group since you can all specialize and fill different niches for your village.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I mean, silent mode would be fine and cool if there were more than like four predators with a straight aggro radius ai.... like, I know they are all about immersion and "crafting beautiful creatures" but they really need to sit down and do a gameplay pass to make the survival side of having a giant fuckoff sub and multiple bases more fun and varied. Like, poo poo, make some giant scary rare leviathans patrol the deeps and actually chase you, so you're forced to balance shark aggro with being swallowed whole. Make one of those floating islands try to gently caress your base or something. Just literally anything to increase replayability and make the player think tactically.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Hey, that means the leviathan of a game is still out there, lurking in the deeps, for some developer to blunder into one day.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

also, that dumb fish got hosed lol

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Multiple bases are awesome and the fact that the game doesnt require you to construct them for safety/scanning/power purposes is a pretty big miss imo

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, Words Adrift is totally a crafting sim with a ton of similar elements to Subnautica, both environmental and gameplay related. Check it out.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Tonight I got to read an argument about how an underwater survival game shouldn't have a meaningful oxygen management system. It's nice to know there are still little surprises like this one waiting out there for me.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Echoing the scanner room advice. When I used it 6 months ago I remember thinking, "why did they bother adding this useless crap to the game?" Now that poo poo is my bread and butter. Farming used to be the most annoying part of this game and it totally negates it and creates a really cool holo-map in the process.

The best part was I founded my base in the Jellyshroom caves so with the range upgrade the map room creates a virtual model of the entire cave system as well as surface topography

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Does the infection ever kill you? My pda says I have two weeks to live but I've just begun construction on my three story alien containment center and I realllllly don't wanna go looking for the lava zone

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Not a Children posted:

I finally picked up this game after hemming and hawing for literal years. Only problem: It runs like garbage on my PC. I've got a 970, i7, 16GB of RAM, and am running off an SSD. Almost everything I play runs smooth as can be, but this game and ONLY this game runs around 15-20 non-constant FPS. I've googled a bit, to very little avail. Is there any known silver bullet for FPS issues?

Not sure if this has been resolved but you are definitely running on integrated video

Happened to me yesterday in Sub Rosa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I have serious thalassophobia when it comes to "underwater where you can't see the bottom"

I'm trying once more to power through Subnautica - vastly more profligate outpost building is helping so far, as is successfully discovering the joys of the Seamoth rather than taking so long to unlock it that I eventually went and did something else.

Subnautica helps you get over thalassophobia then immediately reminds you why the instinct exists in the first place