Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Got a question: can I put a power cell recharger on the cyclops? Logically no because that would just be power cells repowering power cells, but this game is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

There's a goonmod by hexidave that lets you throw nuclear rods into the cyclops too. I can dig up the link if you like?

they have a few other QOL mods like auto-pull from lockers to make things

I’m on PS4 (my god the bugs) so nah. Also haven’t encountered nuclear rods yet, and the suggestion someone made earlier about the thermal reactor for the cyclops is a good idea but I don’t know what/where kyanite is yet.

So until then I guess I just recharge my power cells in my base between cyclops adventures and eventually just have 6 replacement cells ready to go.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Just so I don’t waste the hassle: can I get back to the Inactive Lava Zone through the lava castle portal in a PRAWN?

Something tells me it won’t fit through the cave system in between...

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I used the flashlight a lot and I would use the seaglide in a pinch but early game I was pretty conservative with battery so I didn’t want to use it for that

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

How do you get past the alien forcefield at the first cavern of the lost river? It's a kinda hidden little passage but I couldn't see any place to fit a tablet or anything?

head back to the degasi seabase near the entrance and look around a little more. I had the same problem because the crabsquid noises scared me too much and I ran before looking everywhere

And there is a spot for a tablet, on the left

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

darkgray posted:

As great a game as this is -- unique and innovative -- the PS4 port is one of the buggiest pieces of poo poo I've ever had the displeasure of playing. It's astonishing Sony is even letting them keep it on their platform, to be brutally honest. Not sure I have a right to complain, since I got it for free through their Play At Home campaign, though.

Yeah I loved the game on PS4 despite the constant loving torture, and would never recommend anyone play it on that.

God, seeing people play it on PC after I beat the game was so depressing. “Wait, why is the game not chugging every time they open their inventory? Why is the creepvine popping in so early?”

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The propulsion gun was invaluable in the last areas for getting my prawn suit unstuck from the floor

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

darkgray posted:

Once I went on a 15 minute copper gathering run, got back to my base and stored it all, then dutifully hit Save and the game immediately crashed. And Reddit is filled with threads about corrupted saves that won't load anymore. Forgive me if I got overly cautious in the face of the machine's fickle nature.

I usually just paused the game and waited for the save icon to go away minutes later. But one time I got cocky and tried to warp through a portal while saving the game and buddy I could’ve crawled the distance faster than the game loaded the new area.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

In the PS4 edition, is having your Seamoth disappear a common bug? I don't have any recollection of it getting blown up, but I can't find it, and the beacon for it is gone from my menu.
Could a Leviathan have smashed it while I parked and went exploring?

Yeah that’ll happen, especially if you leave your lights on

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Doesn't the player get a warning about "several leviathan-class organisms in the area" which causes most people to just Nope out?

I am an example of this. It sounds very similar to the (actual) warning at the Crater’s Edge so I just assumed it also meant “Keep Out”

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

if anyone yearns for the days of (even more) horrible performance issues and 20gb save files, there's a mod out there that re-enables terraforming

Can I dig a tunnel from the escape pod straight down to the PCF?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Pop-ins are a result of a British family needing a nanny because the father’s bank job is incredibly stressful and he doesn’t have time to mind his children.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

Anyway, did y'all see this info leak?

https://twitter.com/simoncarless/status/1389297530341519362?s=20

EGS paid the devs $1.4M and gave away 4.6M copies of the game. That's where I first picked it up, ended up paying for BZ on Steam though.

poo poo piss oval office gently caress cocksucker motherfucker and tits

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Is Below Zero on PS4 any more playable than the main game?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The combat that’s necessary to complete Stranded Deep is the jankiest poo poo ever and I only completed it out of spite

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I think I put a purple tablet and a depth module in mine. Valuable without being absolutely gamebreaking

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Outer Wilds is a survival game but in a more epic, existential sense.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

I like the autosort lockers and vehicle inventory lockers.

God this would’ve saved me hours

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The only downside to the cove base is it’s terribly boring. Ghostrays just don’t do it for me. You’ll catch me in the grassy plateaus most of the time, and the jellyshroom cave spot is perfect for both reefback AND reaper sound ambiance.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: also, wrt the original, have any of you scanned a Reaper Leviathan?
I tried half a dozen times with the one next to the Aurora, using the hull wreckage to clip him or something so he’d be stuck but that didn’t work. Then I grabbed the coward (aka stasis) rifle and at that point it’s a piece of cake

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fun thing, this was originally just flavour text but they later added in that if you hang within earshot of them long enough they'll eventually find you.

Like with most Leviathans, it's something you're really not gonna be able to do without the Stasis Rifle, they're too big and too fast.

I managed to scan the sea dragon without stasis on a “gently caress it I just saved let’s see if I can pull this off” style mission

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Had NO IDEA the sea emperor babies got bigger if you kept playing and one of them scared the poo poo out of me near the grassy plateaus. Just saw its back end first and thought a sea dragon was suddenly out of the lost river. Jesus

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Just noticed this from the subnautica change log twitter:

https://twitter.com/subnauticascm/status/1509900700431822852?s=21&t=sx3BQfS56KVeM7qNxFLAkQ

4/1/22

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Does the gun platform installation not have a datalog listing the other alien bases any more? I remember back when I first played that was my guide for where to go for the rest of the game (which could mainly be summarised as "deeper"). I remember they removed the actual visual ping but did they get rid of the site list too?

Site list exists, however I and other players were led a little astray by an incorrect assumption

It tells you the Disease Research Center is located southwest of the gun platform, in a cave system. I assumed the entrance to the cave system was ALSO southwest of the gun platform, which isn’t quite true. The nearest entrances are directly west in the blood kelp zone or directly east in the mountains. The grand reef entrance is, I guess, southwestish but it’s so far away.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I only just beat Below Zero and I’m sure this has been discussed to death but I didn’t read it: how did Marguerite survive kharra?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Parallelwoody posted:

Lmao if you think a virus is gonna take down Marguerite.

This is a perfectly suitable answer. she’s just made of sterner stuff.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I can't be the only one who was kind of let down by how not actually menacing Warpers are?

The build up is great, which makes the actual encounters kind of... meh.

The jump scare of being warped, the slash noise, the alien scream, and Riley screaming in pain all in succession was satisfactory enough for me to fear them the rest of the game

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Glass domed big room in the Lilypad Islands was the best thing I ever did

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Hey friend. Did yours also overhang the ledge above the caves to M’s place?

No my base was perched on a slope of the central mountain that has omega base inside it. Extended my scanner room out from there so it could ping down into the lily pad caves.

Squid sharks poking holes in my base from time to time was worth it for the view.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Waffle House posted:

The enzyme was released into an aquatic planet, which has alien ducts that pipe water all around its entire surface. I just assumed that everything got cured as the enzyme proliferated with the freshly-restored population of Sea Emperor Leviathans, and since it heals "on contact", then Marguerite probably was cured alongside everything else as it propagated through 4546B's biosphere.

The issue is the intervening years prior to that, since Riley’s kharra prognosis was measured in weeks

But as we already established the answer is M is just too cool to die

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I really enjoyed the seatruck in BZ which doesn’t seem like a popular opinion but there ya go

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Would you like some more peepers milord reaper

Yeah it’d be cool to feed reapers something to temporary occupy them so you can explore an area.

Or maybe a handheld fish that gives off a pheromone that keeps big predators away. As long as you hold the fish you’re safe, but if you need to scan something you’re exposed.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I found the place with the giant sea monster that talks to you opened all the portals etc. but I’m not sure what to do next.

Did you open the portal at the bottom of her enclosure?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

On land you can be secure that if you're standing on a patch of land, it's fine, but when swimming above the abyss, anything could be down there.

Graboids killed my family so this post is very insensitive

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

if you can turn off blueprints, reinforcements, and materials, can you just finish the entire game without going more than a few feet from your base?

You wouldn’t need the materials but you’d still have to pick up Alan, go to the fabricator base, and go to the portal gate.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

While we’re at it can anyone explain why the Precursor species in BZ was written to be telepathic when a major story beat of the first game is that the Sea Emperor couldn’t communicate with them telepathically like she can with the player? That doesn’t make sense to me.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Well in either case I’d still think them more capable of inter-species communication than some human guy. They’re supposed to be amalgamations of lots of species, wise and ancient and stuff. Surely telepathy is something they’d consider.

I just don’t buy that the race we are presented with in BZ is the species that hosed up on 4546b, doesn’t really track for me.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Complications posted:

The one we meet on 4546b has had umpteen millennia of loneliness, the prospect of imminent death, and the guilt of being the one who damned their people to rethink their life choices and general philosophy. I would not take that as representative of what they acted like at their height and surrounded by fellow researchers.

I’m not talking about how they’d act, I’m talking about what they’re capable of, which isn’t a matter of anecdote. We can see they’re incredible capable, clearly chimeric, technologically powerful. Yes they might not have been English sounding butler types with lots of manners but if the existence of their species is on the line surely they’d have at some point thought “have we tried telepathy?”

But the SE clearly says “they did not hear me” - not “they heard me and they were malicious and didn’t care that I was sentient”.

It was an oversight, it would seem. One I personally don’t buy that they’d make

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I mean I can’t complain. Writing a sequel to a game/book/movie that has a Precursor/Ancients/Forerunner race that is consistent and interesting and satisfying is basically impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

He does not make you forget about your sister lol

but I’ll just repeat my point that malice != incompetence of that scale, imo