Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I ended up with 4 bases, but my main base was indeed by the drop pod.

My biggest regret in subnautica: below zero is that you never really needed a second base. There was nowhere really far off or dangerous to go to.

I found a cliff by the Vine Forest that was great for a central base. There's a cliff face perfect for hanging a Moonpool over (along with parking a Cyclops) and shallow enough on the clifftop you can build up to have a bedroom on the surface of the ocean. Right near Stalkers, coral and quartz deposits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I've never really needed a second base. The spot near the tree is useful, but I don't really enjoy the lava zone, and I think it is the worst part of the game by far, so I usually stop playing around then.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The only downside to the cove base is it’s terribly boring. Ghostrays just don’t do it for me. You’ll catch me in the grassy plateaus most of the time, and the jellyshroom cave spot is perfect for both reefback AND reaper sound ambiance.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Oasx posted:

I've never really needed a second base. The spot near the tree is useful, but I don't really enjoy the lava zone, and I think it is the worst part of the game by far, so I usually stop playing around then.

Same

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I built a base out in the dunes exactly once, just to say that I did it. When the scanner room is pinging 4-5 reapers at a time, you’re in the right place :getin:

Actually, that’s a thing I did on a few playthroughs. Just a scanner base on the edge of reaper territory, tracking the big-nasties that give out free hugs*

*with their mouths :gonk:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I still remember the horror that set in when I was out near the jellyshroom cave entrance (the one above the Degasi base), running the scanner in my base there, and I go to the last page of "nearby poo poo you can scan for" and seeing...

"REAPER LEVIATHAN"

I scanned for it, and I spent way too much time watching that orange circle move around in the distance :gonk:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like the theory that ghostrays are actually larval ghost leviathans.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I ended up with 4 bases, but my main base was indeed by the drop pod.

My biggest regret in subnautica: below zero is that you never really needed a second base. There was nowhere really far off or dangerous to go to.

I kept preparing stuff to be ready to make a new base that wasn't just right next to the survival pod like a loser for once, but there just never was a time when I felt like it was necessary or even that there was a spot that was a little out of reach that a new base would be good in. I thought a lot about making a base under the lily pads, but there were just too many leviathans hanging out nearby to feel safe building.

I guess I did build a one-room land base, but that never really bloomed into anything more than a place to drop my stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The only base location, other than near the life pod, I'd recommend using would be above the jellyshroom caves, if only for being able to easily scan for magnetite and shale clusters.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I would generally build my first base just over a border to the safe shallows, in whichever neighbouring biome had a cool vantage point, and then a second smaller one at the entrance to the lost river as a hub for gathering materials to build and equip the Cyclops. Once you've got the 'clops and its depth upgrades you don't really ever need a base again.

In BZ I build a base in the foothills of the big central island, and another above the surface outside that one ruined base, as a main checkpoint for exploring the tundra. But then I'm the weirdo that enjoyed the above-ground sections, outside of the ice worm area.

Both games suffer a bit from the world just being too small to really need more than one base. You're never more than a minute or so's travel from your home base unless you're exploring the deepest endgame areas, where a base isn't necessary because you've already finished everything you need a base for. And you don't usually need so many resources that it's worth setting up an outpost to gather them rather than doing one sweep around and taking back whatever you grab, and doing maybe one more trip to get more later. The only resources you need in really large amounts are the basic ones most readily available near the start areas. As it is, building even a fairly simple base requires enough resources that it's not usually worth the trade-off.

If the game pushed you more to explore beyond your vehicles' depth limit, then maybe they'd be more worth it - that was generally the purpose of my Lost River base. But usually the resources to expand your vehicles' depth limit can be found either within the existing limit or easily accessible if you leave your vehicle parked just above it. I think they made the right choice about lateral distances, though - having a bigger-but-emptier world to justify building more bases further out to save a lot of vehicle trips would just be less fun. The game world in both games is just the right size to accommodate the features they've put into it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’d always have one real base, and maybe a second minimal base at the cove for some field crafting and supplies, but mostly I’d just bring along a scanner room kit, just enough to set one up temporarily wherever I go.

One thing I never thought to try until just this moment, though, is multiple scanner rooms in one base so you can scan for multiple things and have them all up in the HUD. Does that work the way one would hope?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I found a cool cave way to the northwest northeast I think along the mountains. It has a "Garage" that the Cyclops can fit in comfortably, and inside there is magnitite, rubies, titanium nodes, and maybe lithium? It's really big area and it has a reaper leviathan outside of the entrance. It's 100% pointless to the game progression, even at the very end during the collect-a-thon you never go near it, but it was my favorite place to build by far.

e: It's actually in the northeast of the map, in the mountain biomes.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 11, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Here are some pictures I had taken of it. Still the best place.

My Mountain Cave Base:

My base right at the edge of the Grand Reef:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

I built a base out in the dunes exactly once, just to say that I did it. When the scanner room is pinging 4-5 reapers at a time, you’re in the right place :getin:

Actually, that’s a thing I did on a few playthroughs. Just a scanner base on the edge of reaper territory, tracking the big-nasties that give out free hugs*

*with their mouths :gonk:

Bold in the original, just kinda sad in the sequel.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Here are some pictures I had taken of it. Still the best place.

My Mountain Cave Base:

ngl this is extremely :krad:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If you haven't built a 5+ stack of alien containments do you even have a proper base?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oasx posted:

If you haven't built a 5+ stack of alien containments do you even have a proper base?

Let me tell you about cuddlefish. Cute, meme-worthy, fun to watch in the alien containment.

But if you take one out, and release it ANYWHERE near your base, you'll end up with that bastard popping up INSIDE, all over the place. And since its lighting is based on the lighting outside your base, it'll be floating around, CONSTANTLY IN THE WAY, and it'll look like a black silhouette when playing at night.

Let me tell you, that sight is QUITE disconcerting when you have no idea what it is at first.

And then... And THEN, it keeps getting in the way when you go traveling for ores and poo poo. About to pick up magnetite? NOPE SORRY PLAY WITH ME!

I WISH I could feed it to my ravenous bio reactor.

This is at least what happens on Switch.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 11, 2022

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

There are a couple of real nice spots just past the edges of the shallows, with one of the Kelp Forest patches on one side and drop-offs into mostly the red-grass-type biomes, at 150-200m where if you really want you can run a connection to surface solar but also are 1-2 power transmitters from one of the Shallows thermal vents.

Good access to everything including plentiful wild kelp for fiber and oil, and incredible amounts of basic deposits within scanner range.

One of these areas is relatively near a Jellyshroom Cave entrance but not really convenient to it. You’d need a separate scanner room to pick up Magnetite, if you wanted that.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

So you know when you are in the end game with the sea emperor the AI voice says that local predators have been pacified unexpectedly?

I thought that meant it was safe outside, ie sea dragons.

So when I got done in there and needed to go back to my lost river base, I see a dragon just chilling in the middle of the lava lake, back turned to me. So I swim up to it and scan it. Then I go back and get in my prawn. I start samus-grapling my way across the lake and sudden I hear the ROAAAAAAAAAAR and the fireballs star coming.

Somehow, I did that, my entire first playthrough, without dying*, despite misunderstandings like that.

(*I intentionally drove the cyclops off the edge of the maps with the wife wearing headphones so she could combat her fear of open water to the serenading tubes of ghost levis. I don't count that explosion as a true death. Also made sure to exit before autosave kicked in because I woulda been pretty sad to lose everything there.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Let me tell you about cuddlefish. Cute, meme-worthy, fun to watch in the alien containment.

But if you take one out, and release it ANYWHERE near your base, you'll end up with that bastard popping up INSIDE, all over the place. And since its lighting is based on the lighting outside your base, it'll be floating around, CONSTANTLY IN THE WAY, and it'll look like a black silhouette when playing at night.

Let me tell you, that sight is QUITE disconcerting when you have no idea what it is at first.

And then... And THEN, it keeps getting in the way when you go traveling for ores and poo poo. About to pick up magnetite? NOPE SORRY PLAY WITH ME!

I WISH I could feed it to my ravenous bio reactor.

This is at least what happens on Switch.

My friend had Cuddlefish keep showing up in alien bases towards the end.

Something about how humanity comes back to the crater and finds the Cuddlefish Empire.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Once I have the Cyclops I don't really need a base, but I like building bases in Subnautica so I just do it for fun. I wish there were mods that added more cosmetic base items.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

HiKaizer posted:

Once I have the Cyclops I don't really need a base, but I like building bases in Subnautica so I just do it for fun. I wish there were mods that added more cosmetic base items.
Every square inch of my cyclops was wall lockers, organized as needed. Once you get upgraded power cells and the thermal Regen, you can do anything with the cyclops except a k-turn.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just got BZ the other day (so did my wife), and I'm LOVING it. Granted, I've since learned that I have to save and quit every 2-3 hours, or else it'll crash (Switch), but now that I know that, I can deal with it.

This game is gorgeous, even on Switch. The art direction, the colours, the goddamned twisted bridges biome, holy poo poo.

And I even met Marguerit! I knew I would, spoiled it for myself last year when reading up on stuff, but still, that first appearance was great.

I'm trying to think back to complaints I'd read about it, and while I get that it's apparently not quite Subnautica, it's still absolutely scratching that itch. I'm invested in the story, I just found the Omega lab, and I really really love the QoL adjustments that were made. Do I have any idea where anything is? No. Does that bother me? Also no.

Gonna read back the last 20 or so pages to check out any spoiler free thoughts but if anyone wants to let me in on anything you think I should know, feel free. No spoiled, though.

Edit: also, wrt the original, have any of you scanned a Reaper Leviathan?

Turns out, they use echolocation, like bats do.

The description says that they're very adept at using it, therefor, "if you can hear them, they can see you."

:stare:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 15, 2022

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Edit: also, wrt the original, have any of you scanned a Reaper Leviathan?
I tried half a dozen times with the one next to the Aurora, using the hull wreckage to clip him or something so he’d be stuck but that didn’t work. Then I grabbed the coward (aka stasis) rifle and at that point it’s a piece of cake

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Turns out, they use echolocation, like bats do.

The description says that they're very adept at using it, therefor, "if you can hear them, they can see you."

:stare:

Fun thing, this was originally just flavour text but they later added in that if you hang within earshot of them long enough they'll eventually find you.

Endless Trash posted:

I tried half a dozen times with the one next to the Aurora, using the hull wreckage to clip him or something so he’d be stuck but that didn’t work. Then I grabbed the coward (aka stasis) rifle and at that point it’s a piece of cake

Like with most Leviathans, it's something you're really not gonna be able to do without the Stasis Rifle, they're too big and too fast.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fun thing, this was originally just flavour text but they later added in that if you hang within earshot of them long enough they'll eventually find you.

Like with most Leviathans, it's something you're really not gonna be able to do without the Stasis Rifle, they're too big and too fast.

I managed to scan the sea dragon without stasis on a “gently caress it I just saved let’s see if I can pull this off” style mission

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Endless Trash posted:

I managed to scan the sea dragon without stasis on a “gently caress it I just saved let’s see if I can pull this off” style mission

I dunno if the sea dragons in my game were glitched or what, but for the most part they completely ignored me. One took a swing at my Cyclops when I was exploring around the Lava Castle, but later when I tried to scan him the toughest part was simply staying close enough as he moved around.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Regarding BZ, did someone mention an AI helper? Is that different than the nice, lightly sarcastic woman giving me information?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Regarding BZ, did someone mention an AI helper? Is that different than the nice, lightly sarcastic woman giving me information?

Yes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/SubnauticaSw/status/1504228259264962560?t=XhxRn8IrPWch8hGPYeOmCA&s=19

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Had NO IDEA the sea emperor babies got bigger if you kept playing and one of them scared the poo poo out of me near the grassy plateaus. Just saw its back end first and thought a sea dragon was suddenly out of the lost river. Jesus

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You are so full of poo poo, that can't be real.

edit: oh my god

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Endless Trash posted:

Had NO IDEA the sea emperor babies got bigger if you kept playing and one of them scared the poo poo out of me near the grassy plateaus. Just saw its back end first and thought a sea dragon was suddenly out of the lost river. Jesus

Hahaha you aren't alone. I had much the same reaction.

Complications posted:

Right, so I didn't know that the Sea Emperor juveniles dispersed and became reaper sized after you let them loose, so as I was coming back from the Lost River in my Sea Moth and was nearing the surface I pinged the sonar and just about went to brown alert when I saw a completely unknown betentacled leviathan form out of the red grid coming right at me. I hadn't recalled installing the Gargantuan Leviathan mod but was abruptly making my peace with being lunch and then it turned and I recognized the silhouette.

But gently caress.

I was expecting maybe a straying juvenile Ghost Leviathan not a Sea Emperor.

Years after it's come out and Subnautica still surprises me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Be nice if they displaced the reapers

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wait what the fuuuuuuuck, you can go (bz sort of spoilers?) INSIDE the vent garden?!

Whoa. And I need stuff from there!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wait what the fuuuuuuuck, you can go (bz sort of spoilers?) INSIDE the vent garden?!

Whoa. And I need stuff from there!

Yeah tons of that spiral plant is in there though you can find it elsewhere in some deep trenches and caves.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Enter the :goatsecx:

e: also deal going on if anyone wants it portable

https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1504908423023845376

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Late to basechat but my perennial favorite place is the edge of the grassy plateau, overlooking the blood kelp trench. It's a good central location with easy access to thermal power and all of the plantable resources.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

OgNar posted:

Enter the :goatsecx:

e: also deal going on if anyone wants it portable

https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1504908423023845376

well hot drat. I just checked my nintendo store wish list today hoping to see if either/both were on sale, no luck there. This is better than I was hoping for. Thanks!

I re-loaded my game, which I last saved in the rocket ready to take off at the end, because I wanted to do some of the stuff I missed out on before. So I spent 3 hours tooling around the dunes, going to the sea treaders, following the edge of the map around in a giant circle, that kind of stuff.

I think since I beat the game I had no fear of dying/losing stuff, so I just took a seamoth and just zipped right by the reapers. Got caught a couple times and zapped to get free, but otherwise it was hilariously less stressful than my typical path of trying so hard to not be seen that I never go near those areas.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm not done BZ yet, but I'm much further along, and I'm still loving it more than 1 (and I still love 1).

I still don't understand the seemingly-rampant dislike for this one. :shrug: Not saying on SA, but when I was on Facebook, I was in a few Subnautica groups (yeah, yeah, I know) and jeezus.... people weren't screaming about it, but it was like it was unanimous that "Subnautica = great! BZ = sub-par, if not outright bad".

I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

People who hate BZ took their prawn suit into the above-ground sections instead of Getting Good and going full Snowfox and are like “ugh this sucks the above ground is so boring”