Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Those seaglide changes are going to actually make the seaglide usable outside of "dive" or "poo poo poo poo get back to the sub".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

There's no real reason to search the Grassy Plateaus for anything other than wrecks. Once upon a time that was where you went for sandstone to get silver, but without that it's not worth fighting biters just for the occasional limestone or salt, both of which can be obtained more easily elsewhere. A bunch of biomes (Koosh, Underwater Islands, Sea Treader's Path, Jellyshroom Caves) are "visit once for the wreck/abandoned seabase, if at all" as the game is currently structured, and I don't think that's a good thing.

If you don't scan things then the "scannable" icon that pops up is a useful way to identify important items and to distinguish between limestone and sandstone.

I always wondered why I could literally find 90% of the resources I need in the Shallows/Kelp/Plains and the other 10% in the grand reef.

I really think spreading out the resource locations to more exclusive areas would pad the game out while actually encouraging danger and exploration. I hear all this poo poo about annoying bonesharks but I literally never deal with them. I still havent really explored the Koosh or Underwater Islands or any of the North/West part of the map because I don't need to.

Speedball posted:

The only thing keeping me from making a Prawn suit in this save slot is no aerogel, because for the loving life of me I can't find any of those spongy things in the caves you use to make it. I'm not sure if its' a bug and they just didn't spawn or what. Grr.

Search the Lost River if you have to. There's also some in a weird trench in that section of shallows which runs up to the south side of the Aurora.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
A nice touch: you can now clearly see mist covering both the islands from the shallows.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Kruller posted:

I built a 4 stack multipurpose/alien containment and put windows on all 8 sides of every floor, except for the 2 entrances on the bottom. It's incredibly nice looking coming in from a distance, with the creepers growing in it and all the peepers swimming about. It was a massive hit on my quartz and lithium to build the thing and reinforce the base so it didn't collapse, though.

One of my goals is to build a base underneath the floating island with an entrance through the middle pond, a shaft to the reef below, a ring of foundation or cooridoors around it, and multiple 3+ stacked alien containment to brighten up the place into a lightshow. And maybe some random fauna swimming around outside.

Only got to 2 of those before my game became unplayable.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
So.... they made the cyclops vulnerable for "challenge" but made that challenge mostly annoyance and the strategy for getting around it boredom. Sweet.

They fixed the pop in yet? Can I still outmaneuver every single predator AI in the game?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Zesty posted:

I heard it can be used to help find your way out of a cave but I've never tried.

It clips through the walls and goes straight to your model, so it's almost useless.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

GenericOverusedName posted:

The game will never be complete until they add a gorge plushie claw game.

As long as youcan stuff a warper and put it in front of it.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

It's almost done, maybe the last 5% of the storyline is missing. Might as well wait for the final patches. I have not experienced any of the graphical problems people are talking about, so YMMV.

So the pop-in is gone?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Requesting title change to "No Man's Sea"

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

It amuses me how this thread is basically a mirror image of the old minecraft threads. Where those had people white knighting every single questionable decision the devs made without fail, here it's all hands on deck outrage over every minor graphical/gameplay failing in what is (at least to my subjective eyes) a beautiful looking and deeply immersive game. They could drop in the last 5% of the storyline content tomorrow, call it a full release, and it would still be better than 99% of the survival sandbox games out there. Are there obvious areas for improvement that a better dev would have delivered on but they haven't/won't? Sure. But it's still the best early access purchase I've ever made.

I guess the punchline is that we're all still waiting on that perfect survival game. Maybe a decade from now we'll get Subnautica 2 with multiplayer, flawless graphics, procedurally generated maps, mod support, etc...

So you like a janky game with draw distance so low that giant predators can literally pop up right in front of you? The game would be 10x better if they fixed this because half the appeal is the beautiful environments and being able to see more than 20m helps that a lot.

It’s one thing to complain about bad graphics, it’s an entirely different thing when I can literally see tears in the geometry at all times.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Considering how they fare when they build their own engine I'm not sure they can blame unity for poor performance :v:

Their other game with their in house engine actually runs better than this one.

After 2 years of updates.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The design in this game approaches Romero levels:

Lots of cool creative things but they have no Carmack to make it work. But they still insist that it will work, is working the way it should, or is too hard to implement.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Kinda blows because the mushroom forest at night with no lights is probably one of the best views in the game.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Oasx posted:

Maybe i was just unlucky, but i started a new game and i could hardly find any quartz, it used to be almost as common as titanium.

Look in caves.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

That's an odd complaint, what is too realistic in it? You easily survive being chewed by biggest of sea monsters by applying a medkit, don't have to build buildings one log at a time, don't suffer from sickness and have plentiful food and water. Among survival games Subnautica definitely favors exploration gameplay over the pointless realism.

I think the devs try and cater to both normal players and people who want the game to be hardcore survival The latter also have literally 300+ hours in an early access game that has always had maybe 10-20 hours of content max. So you get stuff like the already annoying-to-drive cyclops becoming even more of a pain in the rear end to drive with no real challenge added, just busywork and frustration. Or crafting timers because “realistically” something higher tech should take 5 minutes to build (this was once a thing, they changed it to 10 seconds to try and appease the hardcore crowd while still being sane).

Part of the problem is there’s only so much in the game and it’s been more than a year with no notable performance improvements, so most of the normal players have left either because they are tired or they are waiting for the game’s release to fix the problems.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 11, 2017

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

I don't think that's really accurate. They made the Cyclop's default speed the same as the previous version flank speed so it's just as fast as ever with no chance of fire. And then they added the recharging overshield which should handle any small scrapes or passing attacks. They also took Bonesharks off the list of fauna that will attack it. Unless you're talking about when they took away the Cyclop's invincibility, the trajectory has been towards making it more convenient. And if you are talking about that, that was in the plans from day 1. One of the first media they ever released was the prototype flooding demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GukID8fcN_M

Which, by the way, is also going to come back at some point. See the trello page.

https://trello.com/b/yxoJrFgP/subnautica-development

That sounds like what I was saying? They did the same thing with crafting timers: tried a more hardcore version and dialed it back to try and make it reasonable. With the cyclops they removed the invincibility and speed, but then dialed back the aggression from certain creatures and gave it more speed plus upgrades to try and make it less of a chore.

That seems like trying to appeal to both sides to me.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The problem is you need the Cyclops to ferry the Prawn to the deeper sections for the story since the seamoth won’t dive that deep. Which basically means going through caves and past everything that will attack it or drain it’s power. Unless you want to spend an hour getting there with the Prawn alone.

If the seamoth could dive that deep I wouldn’t have nearly as much of a problem with the Cyclops as I do now.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I love the idea of claiming someone is LYING about some dumb videogame poo poo instead of just being confused or misremembering. Are Subnautica's competitors planting people in this thread?!

I don’t think anyone really needs to worry about competing with this game...

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

f#a# posted:

Note also that the Prawn suit has an amateur-hour exploit: its velocity vector is faster if you're strafing plus moving forward. That makes the speed feel reasonable.

But boy howdy I made the Cyclops my main resource library (the entire lower deck is lined with lockers, ironically I ignore the built-in lockers because I can't label them) and that has been a lifesaver and well worth it. Getting to my Lost River base at the junction was somewhat hairy but no worse than, say, backing in a semi trailer.

Plus, with HexiDave's mod, I can just park the sub outside a seabase, swim down and have access to everything on the sub and whatever leftovers I have in the base.

I think the devs just like old school stuff like strafe jumping, it’s a thing in Natural Selection2 too.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Hobojim posted:

I got this for free on the epic store and was off work for a week, so I binged it pretty hard. I absolutely loved the game, with the atmosphere and exploration, it gave an experience I haven't had from any other game. The story was okay but really I just loved having an actual end condition to work towards.

I told myself I was going to wait until release for Below Zero, but I bought it on a whim a couple of days ago. It's pretty good so far, bugs notwithstanding. I think I've hit the end of story content so far, so I might wait for a few updates before jumping back in even though I have a few places I haven't been to yet. It seems a lot darker underwater than the previous game, but maybe I'm just not remembering correctly.

I don't really like the sea truck as much as the seamoth though.

The darkness underwater was in EA for the original too. Usually in new areas they'll carve out the geometry before they add lighting. It should get brighter when they finish.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Tetrabor posted:

Randomization is kind of eh because all that ends up happening is that you enter a random generic biome, find the random quest spawns, and then move on to the next random generic biome and repeat.

Handcrafting it allows you to make memorable locations that don't feel like copy-pasta at the cost of players spending one minute less searching for some wreckage.

I never have to visit the underwater islands or kush zone in most of my playthroughs because I can get all of my tech from safer southern wrecks. I think each wreck should at least have 1 exclusive piece of tech you can't find on any other wreck.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Any new wildlife in this update or is it just equipment?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Even during early access for the base game I didn't have as horrible of an experience as Obama avatar guy. Lots of bugs, sure, but any collision/clipping was usually a 1 or 2 off thing in a save. I think the worst bug was when reapers became silent.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

a7m2 posted:

Is Below Zero worth getting now, or should I wait? I really liked Subnautica so I'm wondering if Below Zero isn't too much of a downgrade on account of it being in early access and everything

You can hide from angry leviathans in giant jellyfish and do sweet jumps on a hovercraft. What more do I need to say.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Bargearse posted:

I get as far as building the rocket, then hang around and keep exploring and expanding my bases.

Makes me wish you had the option to call the company, tell them you’re not coming back, oh by the way the big gun is shut down and the plague is cured, send colonists.

Well most of the planet seems to only be inhabited by ghost leviathans in a bottomless sea, so...

Hope they send some whalers

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Drake_263 posted:

There’s something about the idea of a monster that’s so big, it’s not really aware of you in any sort of a way. A creature so big it’s essentially terrain - breathing holes that blast out water currents, forests of spines or tendrils or something..

Below Zero has something like this in the form of giant jellyfish.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

The current version of subnautica, I still haven't found enough laser drill fragments, haven't found a moonpool, I have no idea where to get the remaining freestanding locker fragment, and I still haven't found a bunch of seatruck sections. Also the more seatruck sections you add on the slower it gets, and it gets SLOOOWWW. it's faster to just carry parts for a tube/bed/fabricator than it is to have bed/fabricator sections on there.

I usually treat the truck like a combo of a more maneuverable cyclops and a less maneuverable seamoth. Haul whatever sections you think you need to wherever you would normally stage your cyclops, then release them and use the front like a seamoth (or jump in the prawn).

Reattaching them is a pain though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I think they excluded the map from these games intentionally.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

What I meant is that the lack of a map does not feel normal or natural in this game's universe. So it jumps out at you as a conscious decision the developers made in order to "force" immersion upon the player — utilizing your spatial memory to know the location of biomes and points of interest with relation to each other results in higher cognitive load, and if you're having to mentally keep track of your current location all the time so as to avoid getting lost, you're paying more attention to the game and are therefore more immersed. It is in stark contrast with the rest of the game, which is very naturally immersive.

I mean, I can understand how the decision may have been made originally, back in EA when we had destructible terrain. A static map wouldn't be suitable for that, and a dynamic map may have proven too time-consuming/low priority for the devs. But once they ditched the destructible terrain they should have added at least a rudimentary map in my opinion.

Can you give an example of something the game that's naturally immersive? Because your description of forced immersion just sounds like regular immersion.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

what would a map even look like

like an on-screen mini-map that somehow cuts the z to something relevant and doesn't spoil the lost river from the surface? a 3d mesh you have to dig into the menus past the pings that folks already ignore?

everyone claiming it's a trivial addition so i must've missed the discussion over the basic UI for it

Quit trying to take me hostage with your immersion.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I mean, jokes aside, there are good 2d maps of the game online which are pretty useful.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I would say that the biggest problem with this team is that they are understaffed. The dev team for subnautica was pretty small the last time I checked. They are very creative, probably more talented than they look, and are very good at adding atmosphere to their games but sometimes they seem to dream a little too big for the resources they have.

For example, for the game they made before subnautica, Natural Selection 2, they created their own engine in lua, which is impressive but the game was plagued with bugs and lag upon release.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Wrr posted:

If you shut down the gun before they show up they instead radio down about how there is too much of a debris field to safely come get you.

Edit: I mostly was hoping to be able to explore the sunbeam wreck or debris and find some cool loot there. Probs not worth the dev work, but it would've been cool.

Wouldve been a good explanation for the Mountains wreck.

I was kinda sad that there is not a big reason to go deep into the Mountain or Dunes biome except for mats. Both the wrecks are right near the border or the biomes.

Is there a mod that scatters blue prints better so you cant just get all of them from a 3-4 biomes? I remember almost never visiting the underwater islands or Koosh zone in my 1st playthrough because I had pretty much everything and didnt need to go to either place.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Section Z posted:

Never forget "The replicator destroying your items unless you stop to manually click and pick up each individual object IS realistic!." beta changes that half this thread rushed the official forums to say how bad an idea that was.

I think my favorite one that all the brokebrained hardcore players loved to defend was 30 minute crafting times on the fabricator.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Been said that Subnautica at least sidesteps a lot of crafting game implausibility by having you specifically using what's more or less a Star Trek replicator. (which is on the fritz)

Kinda funny that the ocean is always calm as a lake considering, and the Degasi logs even mention the planet supposedly has devastating storms that eventually half-buried their original base. But again, obviously engine limitations. I don't think ANY 3D game has made a real effort to simulate a stormy sea.

Below Zero adds storms (no stormy seas though).

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Just Offscreen posted:

Question: Where is your favorite place to setup a base?

Wrong answers only.

In one of my old runs I build a base on the underside of the floating island with a tube down to the sea floor and one that led through the hole in the center.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The Mushroom Biome just suffers the most from the games pop in since they will appear right in front of you while you're going full speed.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Just Offscreen posted:

I absolutely adore most of the fauna models you encounter in this game, but I really wish the Sea Dragon Leviathan model was replaced with something else. It's clearly a first draft of...something else in that area that they left in.

It shouldn't have arms like that, is really what I'm saying. Bring back the guy who made the Ghost Leviathan.

I think the sea dragon came before the ghost leviathan in development.

Originally the sea emperor was supposed to be another leviathan as well.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I think my favorite bugs come from EA where in one playthrough a reaper spawned under the map in the mountain biome, grabbed me through the wall of a cave, and left me stranded underneath the map.

The other one was that after a while in a save game in experimental EA some of the sound files would stop playing. Which would lead to silent Reapers (this was while they were still moving the reaper spawns around and building the map).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Remora posted:

If you have a ghost tree base, you might be able to push through in one night.

Dont forget they have to collect all the seeds and build the rocket too