Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did you see it before that happened or was it out of nowhere

It's head came out of the wall right before it grabbed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
One scary part of BZ was being in one of the Vent Gardens while a Chelcirate Leviathan constantly attacks the outside of it, waiting for you to leave.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Nope. Just an Among us meme

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Aren't the tablets craftable once you pick them up? I thought that was a foolproof way to give the recipe to the player, specifically in case they forget to scan them.

Yep. It used to be you had to scan them and what you said happened to a lot of players with the blue/orange tablet since you needed to craft an extra one in order to progress.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Id say dodging past squidsharks in the deep twisty bridges while plants try to eat you could get a little tense in BZ. BZ also forces you to cave dive and swim long distances away from your vehicle way more often.

Also the shock module existed in the original subnautica, along with the more powerful stasis rifle so I dont get the complaints about being able to nullify leviathans. If anything BZ makes you encounter more of them since the ones in the deep area are in tight tunnels. You never have to encounter a fully grown ghost or reaper leviathan up close in the original if you dont want to.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Subnautica: I've been playing this light survival, free roaming, exploration game for the past 20hrs and have had a great time organically uncovering the narrative. What's this? The last 5minutes of the game is fetch quest? drat.

Below Zero: The sassy side kick tells you the whole story and sends you on a fetch quest in the first 5minutes of play time. Why would people prefer the first one over the second? These two things are definitely the same.

Subnautica: Wow the Grand Reef is pretty, this Trench is cool, whoa I can grab stuff off these giant swimming dudes! I enjoy all the amazing locations and visuals in this game!

Below zero: Wow the Twisty Bridges is pretty, the Vent gardens are cool, whoa I can grab stuff from inside these giant jellyfish. Im glad they added more cool locations and visuals to the game.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Serephina posted:

UW has been rolling their own engines for a decade now, god willing they'll finally stop.

Gonna have to say that even though I didnt like the performance in the Spark engine, the physics that enabled smooth wall climbing and cool 3d movement in NS2 was pretty fun.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Endless Trash posted:

I only just beat Below Zero and I’m sure this has been discussed to death but I didn’t read it: how did Marguerite survive kharra?

Its because she was a part of the TSF, theyre used to fighting Khaara.

E: I know I was joking, but then again I just found this:

quote:

Not much is known about Marguerit. She was born and raised in the Mongolian States, a backwater corporate colony exploited for its mineral resources. She left home at sixteen and went from one mercenary job to another. Eventually, she did tours with the Mongolian Defense Force and Trans-System Federation. She held an esteemed career, before being dishonorably discharged from the TSF for going off mission.

The details are unclear, but our resources have unearthed some scant details. Marguerit was the head of an intel and reconnaissance mission. We aren't clear what she stumbled upon, but she silently eliminated the entire local security apparatus over the course of three days. None of the local families would give more information. They only said they thanked "God's Hand" for saving them.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 6, 2022

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I use the repulsion rifle more than the stasis rifle. Both are for when wildlife or warpers are harassing me while im trying to do something in an area. No better feeling than punting a warper 200m into the distance until it teleports back :v:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

uPen posted:

I mean, natural selection 3 would be a game in the Subnautica universe.

Will I be able to befriend a gorge like I did the cuddlefish?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

do other discussion groups for this game obsess over "terraforming" showing up in dev notes a couple times or is it just the folks here

Game used to have terraforming. It had a terraformer tool that you could use to move voxels from one place to another. Buildings used to terraform the environment when you placed them. Hell you could dig in the sand. Theres an early playthrough somewhere where someone just dug straight down to the lava castle.

The problem is it made save files massive (GB sized) and unstable, so they removed it.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Wonder if theyll keep it in the same universe as the rest of their games.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Jabarto posted:

I actually really like the oxygen plants because they let freediving be a much bigger part of the game. as opposed to something you did for 15 minutes in the first game and then never again. Maybe the quantity could be dialed back a bit but I like having them.

This, I was able to dive from the crashed ship (forget the name) all the way to marges underground base and a little into the crystal caves. You also have to ditch your vehicle and free dive for the mining base and the crashed ship. You cant really free dive like this in the original game, the closest you come is exploring a wreck.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The brain coral in SN acted similarly to the oxygen plants, whatever they're called, in BZ. :shrug:

They were not nearly as common outside of the safe shallows. SNs way of getting you to free dive was generally "your depth module only goes to 200m, this wreck is 210m deep". BZs is "here follow this oxygen plant into this labyrinth of caves". Or "your vehicle wont fit".

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Based on the devs' previous games, Id say if they wanted them to be hard you would know.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Wasnt the writer booted because they were an antivaxxer or covid denier or something too?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
TSF, etc. from the NS descriptions for Frontiersmen:

quote:

The Marines as depicted in the game are the force mounted by the TSF agency. The Trans-System Federation (TSF) is an independent body funded by 37 trans-gov powers (governments or super-corporations that own and operate Phase Gates between solar systems) and given jurisdiction over trans-system affairs: as defined by a document called The Charter. The Charter is a comprehensive document, covering disarmament, fair trade agreements (most importantly, sharing phase gates), and certain basic civil rights that had become blurred (or tossed aside) during the dark times of the Expansion.

To enforce The Charter, the Trans-Govs chose Admiral Rathine Studaber, former head of the revived British Secret Service, and gave her a budget for a small military force – which proved hard pressed to stop those same greedy and quarrelsome powers from violating almost every agreement they had made: often concerning their own citizens (termed "population abuse"). It was not very long before the TSF had to resort to military police actions. Its surprising success against the vastly more powerful and far better equipped Trans-Govs earned it the secret hatred of the same powers that created it. They have long been angling to curtail the TSF's powers, slash its funding, or even dissolve it entirely and replace it with something they can control. So far, their distrust of each other, and intense media scrutiny has kept the TSF alive. The TSF sees itself as the only sane player in trans-system politics and has become an unappreciated (and often vilified) champion of human rights.

With the failure of corporate and government forces to contain the spread of the Kharaa, the opinion (among those in power) was humanity should just quarantine the entire Ariadne Arm (the string of solar systems where the Kharaa were encountered). The TSF found this intolerable, both for the people trapped in the Arm and for the future of human expansion (the economic blow of losing all those ships and bases could threaten the tenuous peace of the Charter). The TSF volunteered to mount a response to the Kharaa – effectively creating a new army, with a new mandate. The resolution passed, and the new force was called the Frontiersmen: "standing on the edge of the unknown, between all of humanity and whatever would threaten it." The Frontiersmen have clearance to travel anywhere and board any craft. They have rapid-response outposts scattered throughout the Ariadne Arm, with teams of marines ready to deploy. The Frontiersmen initiative is a huge opportunity for the TSF. It's also a risk: if the Frontiersmen fail, on such a public and historic stage, the Ariadne Arm will be signed off as a loss and the trans-govs may have the excuse they've been looking for to "re-organize" TSF leadership – replacing the Admiral and her staff with corporate lackeys. If that happens, dark days are sure to follow.

Frontiersmen must pass rigorous physical and psychological exams before they can even enter training. The training process, though in many respects similar to militaries all over the galaxies and all throughout history, is unique in its emphasis on small squads, tactical flexibility, and the unprecedented nature of the enemy Frontiersmen train to confront. Frontiersmen are trained to enter a new environment in squads of 5 to 15 individuals, with very little equipment or support, and achieve definitive victory against a virulent and hostile xenoform foe.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Parallelwoody posted:

Subnautica 3.

Natural Selection 3 :colbert:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
If you like the free cave diving parts of the game BZ has more of them and (imo) better ones. You actually have to get uncomfortably far from your vehicle and they introduced oxygen plants to encourage you to go further into caves without dying.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

remove their ability to teleport you, make them largely silent until they are very close, up their damage substantially and rename them

To Fades :v:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Tom Tucker posted:

This whole thread opening a big can of cope branded “actually I liked using the Prawn Suit on the surface making everything take 10x longer and it wasn’t just because I couldn’t get a hang for the SnowFox controls. Also unrelated but the above water sections took sooooo long clearly bad design”

How do you even fit that on the label tho?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Oh the old seamoth was great before they nerfed the handling and the shock upgrade. You could harass, chase, and outmaneuver a reaper all day.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
You used to have to carry airtanks in your inventory during early access iirc.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

chainchompz posted:

I'm curious what the dev's response to the upcoming unity pricing scheme is. Is Subnautica 3 going to use a different engine now?

The response is to watch nintendo and microsoft sue unity into oblivion.

Then use a new engine because either way unity probably wont be used too much in the future.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Serephina posted:

Playing a narrative or discovery game in early access sounds terrible, why would you do that to yourself ugh.

Because one day you explore along some once barren spot and see terrain cut out and flora/fauna added.

Especially if you dont pay attention to patch notes.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

I mean there’s very little to actually do with your Cyclops, and the poo poo it’s useful for is in space too restricted for a fish that size.

To include one big enough to try and eat it would be to put it roaming in open waters where it would mainly terrorize players into either hiding their base in the mid-depth caves and never coming out, or giving up.

What about one of these:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I think just givving big apex predators large patrol ranges in certain biomes would probably accomplish the same amount of tension without distracting too much from the fish petting simulator.

Like if the reapers in the dunes actually patrolled the whole biome and no other behavior was changed. You have enough time to gather resources etc. between passes but you have to be wary.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 11, 2024

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Tbf, the only reason they didn't go bankrupt on the original is because the early access version took off with streamers. Youtubers getting spooked by Reapers are the only reason the company was solvent, so that sort of thing has always been part of what made the OG so good.

Live-service crap could kill it in the crib if it's bad though. Continuous updates to expand and refine content a la No Man's Sky or Cyberpunk are good, especially since they're moving to a real game engine. If it's just dailies and procgen crap for retention it'll be absolutely terrible. I don't trust Unknown Worlds to always make a good call, I still have hope becauze I can't see them making a boring bad call.

Hopefully they're taking lessons from Lethal Company wrt co-op. That could be really, really interesting if done right.

The one consistent thing Ive seen with most of Unknown World's games is that they are able to nail a tense and suspensful atmosphere.

Natural Selection is a PvP game but they still nailed the Aliens vibes you get when wandering down an empty corridor hoping a skulk wont jump out at you.

Im posting in the Subnautica thread so Im sure you all know how well they did the atmosphere for this game.

I dont trust UWE to not try to do everything themselves with way too little time and manpower (they made their own engine for NS2 which ran like poo poo for the first few months).

So imo a Lethal Company Subnautica would be amazing as long as they dont try to do story or shove too much technical crap into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

They should put a bunch of fake microtransactions in subnautica 2 with content that they never actually made and and in universe currency that you can't actually get.

Yeah the creature design was extremely hit and miss and it's too easy to get a seatruck upgrade that basically makes you immortal. There's a perfect game out there incorporating elements of both of these titles which makes it a shame below zero wasn't just made as an expansion that added in-game elements to the existing title. I'm very optimistic about Subnautica 2, Hope they focus on variety and cohesiveness of the world and your interaction with it over incremental graphics updates or a super involved plot line.

Whats weird is that shock upgrade was like that in early access during the original subnautica and it plus the more maneuverable seamoth meant you could literally dogfight a reaper and shock it to death. So they made it weaker but useable.

I dont know why they changed it back in Below Zero.