Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Should I get Subnautica on PS4 or the Switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I have a question: Does Below Zero, the game about having to survive in the frozen cold on an alien planet, involve glowing orange chainsaws? This is important.

I've been playing through Subnautica, and I've gotten fairly far, I've got a Cyclops and I think I found all the Degasi bases, but I still have issues with the dark depths of the ocean.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yeah, here's a screenshot I took towards the end of my playthrough:

If only Aquanauts and Hydronauts could've prepared me for the cruel realities of the depths of the sea being dark.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Laughing Zealot posted:

Everything about the Cyclops is great/perfect. It's issues are mainly the environment not really being designed around it.

It sure would be nice if it could turn upwards and downwards without having to smoosh up against a wall to lever yourself against in order to not try to go directly down with the greatest possible surface area impacting whatever may be in the way.

Or if it had a floorplan where you could more naturally put in a bed without the headboard sticking out too much.

Or if you could dock directly with your base instead of having to fumble around batteries.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just finished the game, and it's neat. I don't think I ever played anything like it, and I really explored a lot of feelings I didn't know I had about the deep ocean, from weird repressed memories of a creepy episode of Little Mermaid to just the weird feeling of vertigo when you see the sea floor slope deeply away from you and you think anything could be down there. Also it's dark down deep, but it's incredibly less dark when the sun is out. I wish the game gave you a clock to better plan around sunrise, sunset, and eclipses instead of panicking every time things just turn black.

I also generally have extremely poor spatial awareness in FPS games, and the fact that the one big landmark at the start of the game wasn't in the north meant that my internal compass was calibrated wrong and all my mental maps didn't work. I think that allowed the game world to seem a lot bigger than it was because getting turned around added a lot of extra space in my brain. I don't know what the game would be like with bigger areas, but I also don't know if they'd be able to make that work. The game has serious issues with draw distance and loading areas as-is, and when I went to the thermal plant and the final alien facility the game broke three times for each.

It's also really interesting that there's really not much point to stockpiling resources unless you wanna go hog-wild with basebuilding, and the biggest reason to get into basebuilding is to store all the extra resources that I didn't actually have a use for at the time. That and getting a reliable source of water. I never got the nuclear reactor blueprints, and I never needed them so long as I could burn rabbit rays.

There were some threads that were weirdly left dangling. I understand they didn't want to put any corpses in the game, but It's weird that there's no sign of what happened to most of them. I don't think any of the ingame creatures really match up to the damage done to the pods, and it's weird that two people made it to the floating island rendezvous, but there's no sign of the person who wanted to stay safe or the person who wanted to go out to help others. Feels like Yu had some relevance to the main character. It's also weird that there's no real sign of wreckage from the Degasi or the Sunbeam, like after they were relevant for a while, the game wants nothing more to do with them. Even with the aliens, there's more questions than answers.

And then it's weird that the Sea Treaders exist way off in an area where I can imagine most people not finding them because there's no reason to go there.

GamingHyena posted:

The cyclops is awesome. It's an actual mobile base that you can cruise around anywhere you want and with even minimal care and a full battery pack its practically invulnerable.

I disagree with all of this.

On top of the Cyclops being a slow burden that could get demolished by a leviathan, it's just a poorly designed sub. There's no good way to control the pitch of the giant thing, so if you're going up and down, you need a space that can accomodate the whole fuckin' broadside (no space where you would ever need to go in the game can accommodate its broadside). It is impossible to look where you're going up and down while you're moving. And this is a game about verticality.

The first thing I wanted out of the Cyclops is a bigger portable spotlight for investigating wrecks in the deep, but then it turned out that point in the game, wrecks were less relevant, and you can't keep the lights on in the deep because there's big dangerous things that the Cyclops can't escape vertically.

The second thing I wanted was something that could carry the prawn and rescue it out of a hole if I hosed up, but it turns out the prawn's pretty mobile on its own and there are better tools for that.

I think I was at my happiest in the Beemoth scooting around at speed with good visibility.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If you try to treat the Cyclops like a vehicle that holds a bunch of stuff, it's very frustrating to use. If you treat it like a base that you can move around, it's a lot more fun.

Well, that's another reason I didn't like it. I had no need for a mobile base, most areas were in easy transit time of my base and when I needed to be someplace further I could create a nice little stopover to store water bottles. If the intent wasn't to have the cyclops as a method of transit, they could've easily shaped it differently because the hallway doesn't really seem roomy. (from a first person perspective where you really don't know how much room your body takes up)

Checking the cameras constantly would make things even slower, and by that time I had the cyclops, I had already discovered all the easily cruisable biomes, so there wasn't a really point to peaking around constantly. The only thing the Cyclops really did was teach me to be comfortable with not seeing most of the space around me. I think I also spent a longer time at base swapping out power cores to charge them up.

Another mechanic I didn't know about until it was too late was air bubbles. I didn't know that brain corals secreted air bubbles to keep you alive, and I built an air pump because I thought I needed one to make a good underwater base, but I guess it's for making deeper sources of air and that could've been useful early on.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

GamingHyena posted:

Personally my biggest wish for subnautica was if you could link lockers to the fabricators and automatically use any minerals items inside.

There's a mod for that if you're on the PC.

I kinda think that the extra time sorting things around might be a fundamental part of the texture of the gameplay, but I'm not really sure. It's an interesting feeling at the end how you have to just faff around sorting materials one last time to build the rest of the ship and get out of town.

The game also kinda seems like it discourages stockpiling materials in general, or at least is neutral on it, because there's not really a scaling advantage to having a big surplus of materials. The tech tree doesn't really call for exponential amounts of old materials for new things like other crafting games, and in fact it becomes burdensome to keep cutting exploration short to deposit your collected supplies or to build more storage for your stockpile which demands more materials to build.

Of course, I SAY that, but my own impulses to collecting stuff meant that at the end of the game, when it came time to make the birthing enzymes, I had a box with every plant sample I needed. I wasn't even really obsessive, I didn't collect one of every plant, I just thought that the bulbs could be a useful emergency food, the ghost weeds were a good decoration, the sea crowns looked neat and were endangered so I wanted to preserve them, and the fungal sample I just got while trying to investigate the mushroom forests further and it didn't take up much inventory space. I guess that made the endgame a little more underwhelming than it should've been.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When I first found a reginald fish, I thought maybe the player character was going through some kind of Wilson-esque delusion and I'd have to keep the fish alive as a friend somehow.

Then I found a bunch more and they became my go-to food supply because they had the most calories.

Geodude posted:

I got the Cyclops stuck in a Grand Reef cave once; it freaked me out that I potentially had to abandon it with my dozens of filled lockers inside.

I don't think there's anything in there that can really do much damage to the Cyclops (assuming you don't dip beneath the safe dive distance), although crabsquids can bog you down with EMPs. When I got the Cyclops in there it was the one time I really appreciated it, because there are so drat many crabsquids and warpers that it kept me safe from, and it was the only time I managed to make real use of the Cyclops's lights to light up the spooky Degasi base.

And of course this was back before I had all the prawnsuit mobility upgrades, so it was nice having something that could carry it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly while I'd like to play more, I don't think that much is gained from setting another game on the same planet. Peepers are iconic, sure, and players would be slightly rewarded for recognizing reused fish, but what matters most is the atmosphere, which you could recreate without necessarily reusing assets. In some ways it might even be better to have all-new things to create a new mystery.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly I think the striders could probably be reused and still be mysterious from how easy they are to miss.

Endless Trash posted:

Got a question: can I put a power cell recharger on the cyclops? Logically no because that would just be power cells repowering power cells, but this game is weird.

I hear it used to charge more energy than it took from the ship's power, but they patched that out.

I never actually built a power cell recharger even when I was using the Cyclops and just swapped out power cells with vehicles either docked with the base or when I had the prawn thermal generator or the seamoth solar panels.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

DreadUnknown posted:

The O2 mechanic is the thing I hate the most about Subnautica, it interrupts your exploring every 30-60 second to go to the surface because apparently SCUBA tech has regressed so bad its on par with just holding your breath.
Strike that, most people can hold their breath for a blistering two minutes.

Much like the night/day cycle and your hunger and water meters, time is on a compressed scale in the game, like it is in most games. The game would be much more boring on a more natural timescale, and the game world would have to be exponentially bigger. Maybe if they had bends mechanics it would add more intensity to deep areas, but it would also be unintuitive and punishing to players.

One thing I'd really like for Subnautica is an ingame clock so that I can actually plan trips so that it's light out when I'm exploring. Maybe even time it so that I can do transit through known safe areas right before sunrise to really maximize daylight. Even at like 500m deep it makes a big difference.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pretty sure the prawn suit can go anywhere except for inside wrecks and the Aurora. There's also a couple places where maybe there's a ceiling that's too low that the prawnsuit gets wedged, but you can just grapple arm your way out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It basically becomes the main limiter to your longer exploration journeys or spelunking and adds tension. Especially if you're obsessive about collecting enough of whatever resource you need to not come back and want to keep inventory space open.

If you're willing to keep your inventory clogged up and deal with possibly not having a surplus for the blueprints you don't know yet, there's probably no reason to ever build a second base or to bring the Cyclops along. There's just a lot of psychological needs and wanting to build a buffer for the next part of the game that drives the battle between survival supplies and inventory space.

And when you know how the later part of the game goes or how you don't need all that much of this one new resource or that a couple minerals will be entirely pointless to stockpile because you're not going to ever use them, you can optimize much more easily.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you don't fix the Aurora, does anything actually happen?

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Lost River question:

Tips for sneaking past the ghost leviathan in Lost River with the Cyclops? I have 5 decoys but no shield - don't actually know how to use the decoys as I remember never having much luck with them in my initial playthrough. I could just drop down in the Prawn and run for it/punch my way through but there's no fun in that.

Love getting halfway through the Mushroom Forest in the Seamoth before the tops appear...

Hoof it.

If you really really want the extra storage space, you'll want some sonar to go in without lights.

As I remember, sonar is in the deep reef wreck and the shield I wanna say is in the bulb zone? Maybe the underwater islands.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

External lighting definitely attracts monsters, and I once had the seamoth get destroyed by bonesharks when I left it parked with the lights on. It's not as relevant in the Cyclops, but I've definitely noticed leviathans leave it alone when the lights are off. I parked the Cyclops once and left to go do something only to come back and see a leviathan having wandered into the area and leaving it alone. They don't take kindly when you start moving again though.

Predatory leviathans also don't make any echo-locationy sounds that would indicate greater hearing. And part of what I really really find useful about the sonar is that it had a better draw distance than the actual graphics. At least on my PS4.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

poly and open-minded posted:

I've been playing on PS4 and it's so drat frustrating to have to stop and wait for like... the Lost River to populate. I was in the the lava area near the alien base when the water depopulated so I sank to the bottom and couldn't get back up. It made me decide I didn't care about finishing

That kinda happened for me too, I assumed I had just gone through some kind of air bubble and spent a few minutes toddling around in my prawnsuit looking for an entrance, trying to grapple upwards, and occasionally getting out to confirm that yes, there's air and the prawnsuit does that little land squat.

Three other times I tried going through that area, the game crashed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

You can’t attach anything to the lifepod, but you can deconstruct anything you’ve built and get all the materials back.

I built a number of expansions to my base with the intent that it would be a storage of materials and I could just disassemble some rooms to rebuild somewhere else to be a new base, but I never did. I built up too much of a surplus of supplies to justify taking my base apart, and I never really hit a moment when it seemed right to make the big new base #2. I just made little rest stops and then at the end of the game I shrugged and made a room full of water purifiers because I could.

Basebuilding in the game is a lot like the Cyclops in that you don't really need much of it to progress, but it satisfies an instinctual urge and feels right. I think it almost doubles the play time because you get locked into a loop of needing to collect resources to build a base but then you need to collect resources to fill the base to make building the base actually worth it, and you're also preparing for whatever may come in the future. But there's not really a difference between early game and late game basebuilding, and when you're satisfied or drop the delusion, you can just stop.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

DrDraxium posted:

It also doesn't help that the Sea Dragon's don't feel anywhere near as scary or awe-inspiring as the game's earlier beasts (Leviathans, Warpers etc.), and fire out Bowser's Castle style 2D balls of flame. It's slow, and just patrols in a predictable circle. The sound design is still loving amazing though, so there's that I suppose.

I think they're incredibly shocking when you first run into them, but by that point you've managed to get past threats like that before, and it feels like a pretty minor step up in danger compared to their surroundings.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is the grave the easiest thing to miss in the game? There's nothing that really points you there, and there's no real advantage to investigating it.

I only noticed it because it stood out a little on my sonar.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I completed the 1.0 game without ever finding the thermometer blueprint. I always found it in early access and have no idea what I missed this time

is this subnautica or below zero? if subnautica, what is this?

Subnautica.

There's a little crater with a rock in the middle out past the bone kelp ravine, and there's a little cave off to the side that leads to an alien forcefield.

Open it up, and I think all you really find is a record of one hot shot alien scientist who transferred to the disease research facility and contracted the disease and died.

Looking it up for reference, apparently there were a couple other alien places that I also missed, but they were similarly also just some junk that your datapad can't do much with and don't really help you at all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Subnautica as a game really delivers the experience of being in a world that really doesn't care about you, and so it's not really gonna hand you anything. You want something to happen, you gotta put in the work. There's not really that much of a feeling of a tech tree progression, and for most of the game you really don't have to do that much resource harvesting, after a point you even basically fix hunger and thirst, at least so long as you're near a base. You can get lost just going out and harvesting materials, but the game doesn't reward you for doing it for its own sake.

Through the course of the game, you plunge the deepest depths that you can find, but even after story stuff happens, if you want the final bit, you have to do the dull busywork. There's no fanfare. There's no huge adventure. There never was.

Which isn't exactly satisfying, but it's something different that's kind of immersive. I feel like there's a limit to how big of a game could really be held up by that sort of artless mundacity, but I think it works for Subnautica. It's a real different experience compared to most survival/crafting games where they build a much more satisfying short-term game loop and then expect you to go basically forever without any structured end goal.

Personally, I had aready coincidentally collected all the plants in a box and I had enough stockpiled materials to build the Neptune so the ending seemed pretty abrupt to me, but even the stuff like "here's some storage for whatever garbage you want to bring with you" prompting me to sort out what I wanted to take and the switches you have to flip before the ship would be ready to launch seemed like a nice way of dwelling one last time on things.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think my monitor is worse about dealing with dim things than most people's, so I'm really bad with dark areas.

PDP-1 posted:

IIRC these are only in one spot on the map it's not somewhere that you're too likely to cross by accident. I don't think it would spoil much if any of the rest of the game to just look up where that spot is if you haven't discovered it on your own. They look pretty cool and kick up a lot of mineral nodes.

Nah, they walk around on some kind of path. I think the PDA actually tells you when you end up on the path.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I was watching an LP and discovered today that the lost river music actually blurs in pretty well with storm sirens.

Not hail though. That disrupts a lot more.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Programmers under the C++.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Another guy finished his playthrough recently, and you can watch it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc1iJLmHrc0

I feel like I was more scared of whatever could be lurking out there in the dark than I ever was of the actual monsters I ran into, so it's interesting to see people who were much more scared of it.

Well, that and the sickening feeling of seeing the ground just curve away from me and plunge deep down, farther than I could go. But apparently other people are just FINE with that and the inky darkness 360 degrees around them so that they can't see anything. Weird.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Replaying the endgame, I'm not sure how they expect people to find the thermal plant, or the final base without having found the thermal plant first to give you a vague direction to head off in, unless they'd played earlier iterations where you get express waypoints and more-or-less remember where to go.

They give you a list of alien facilities and their depth (at least, the depth of the important ones) at the Quarantine Enforcement Platform, so the only real trick is finding the hole you need to go down to get that deep.

Also when you find a hole that goes deeper than the listed depth for the thermal plant, it's pretty easy to reason that maybe you've gone too far.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

PDP-1 posted:

I never felt the need to build it since the day-night cycle is irrelevant 99% of the time.

But it's DARK at night!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can see why you'd want to prolong the exploration experience, since that's the main thing to do in the game, and if you just get the coordinates popping in automatically, it's much easier to just beeline it instead of dwelling in a hazardous area.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, I finished Cold Subnautica, and it was alright. It felt a little lacking compared to the first game, the world was smaller and some design decisions were...worse. There were less big leviathans, and they were overall less threatening. Those black ones that have the whole gimmick to seem way more dangerous than they are were a weird choice. Electro-squids seemed threatening in a new way, but then they just stopped showing up. The giant jellyfish were pretty amazing though.

The one biggun leviathan in the open ocean did dissuade me from building a second base in the green zone though, because he was so threatening when he showed up to munch on the smaller macrofauna. The leviathans in the deep caves were a great design and did manage to scare me a lot, and the snow worms were a cool idea, but they both suffered from being stuck in such tight quarters that there wasn't the option to even really try to avoid them, so I just kinda discovered the secret to dealing with them so they're not very dangerous, which took me out of immersion. Very weird that when so much of Subnautica is defined by big open areas, the land area is full of tight, winding box canyons.

The story was interesting, although there's also the weird thing of the extra artifice increasing expectations? The alien in your brain is neat to have commentary while you're exploring, but in the process of following his story the game kind of forgets about the stated goals at the start of the game. The main character may have been really into researching the planet when she landed there, but isn't especially interested in that particular planet and is fine with leaving it behind. She's also kinda fine with just leaving behind the investigation of her sister. I guess I could've gone the extra mile to cure the frozen Leviathan, but by the time I realized that, I had already decranialated Alan, so I felt I'd be missing out on his commentary. The first Subnautica had more freedom to just leave things blank.

At the end of Subnautica, I felt the need to wrap up everything and stock up the spaceship for the trip home, but at the end of Below Zero, I didn't feel any of that weird sentimentality.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh, might as well mention my take on the seatruck.

I didn't really like the Cyclops much, it was kinda more trouble than it's worth, and I made all the seatruck modules, but I never actually used more than one or two. Maybe the teleporter could've been handy, but I never worked it into my exploration routine. It's okay, not as good as the seamoth, but without the way that there was a lot less threats to the player did mean that it wasn't as necessary to get a quick getaway, so it evened out. I did end up using an exploit to de-aggro leviathans by stepping into the back of the seatruck, because I didn't really see how I would get past the nightmare leviathans otherwise.

The one thing that really annoyed me all the time was that the seatruck has a small hitbox for getting inside of it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How do you write on Subnautica and then disregard a pandemic?

OgNar posted:

I never figured out where everyone went in BZ, did they all leave because of one death?
Did somehow everyone die and I just never found that tablet?

Well, the base was already going downhill beforehand. Most of the original scientists got reassigned to a nowhere post doing nothing jobs to keep them out of the way. And then Margaret blew up Omega Lab, destroying the last active research project and maybe killing more people.

Possibly Alterra might've also wanted to do some covering up after what happened, but that part's unclear.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never even thought of taking the prawnsuit on land. That makes a whole lot of sense, I guess. You can already cheese things enough with the Snowfox since the snowworms barely do any damage to you, and they just kinda knock you off the snowfox, you can get a frantic but unchallenging experience finding and getting right back on the snowfox every time you get thrown off. I kinda though while playing that since there was a datalog talking about thumpers

The land areas do suck though. It's weird how so much of the game is big, open water areas, but then they want you to go throw winding box canyons. They didn't need to make the land very open, since players are often satisfied with walking slower speeds on land than swimming in water, but you can't make it so closed just for no reason when the rest of the game is so different.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

badjohny posted:

My daughter asked me, and I had never even thought about it...but is the sea dragon in the lava zone the male to the female sea empress that is trapped in the final base? they look very similar and it would explain why she is trapped down there and they are so angry trying to get to her. . Or is it never said.

I think that the game clarifies at some point that the animals of the planet appear to have no real gender, which explains why any two you get into an aquarium can breed, but either way, the sea emperor is different enough from the sea dragon that it's clearly a different species. I kinda thought maybe the sea emperor has been locked up long enough that the creatures in the outside world have evolved into something different, but the sea dragon doesn't really present any signs of sentience.

Salt Fish posted:

The whole BZ experience was missing that horror-movie feel. Great game, enjoyed it immensely as a normal game, but OG subnautica was on the next level. I very much hope they lean into the Alien Isolation style gameplay where you are bracing for the jump scare that never comes. I want to feel the pure panic of having a mile of black water below my feet.

Honestly I think BZ was consciously stepping away from the ways in which Subnautica was scary. Like Subnautica was very spooky, but I can see viewing the way that some people were too frightened to go on as a failure.

So BZ lacks threats and urgency. No exploding ships or mysterious space cannons. No reefbacks or manatees making creepy noises or just creating a mild hostility around the starting area. The "leviathans" are mostly tiny in comparison to Subnautica's. One of them seems purposefully designed to train the player to be brave against perceived threats because it makes a very big noisy show of attacking but barely does any damage. The scariest and most dangerous creatures are neatly cordoned off into enclosed areas and you get multiple verbal warnings before you encounter them. There's much less open water and it doesn't seem to go as deep, so you'll get much less of the terror of the abyss. You have a message right when the game opens that clarifies that Alterra pulled out of the planet in an orderly evacuation, so there's not even that much spooky mystery over their facilities if you paid attention.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've actually been playing Outer Wilds lately, and while I get why people think of them as related, it's a very different and unique experience. No building, no crafting, no resources at all, just exploration. And although exploration is the focus, the scope of what you're exploring is fairly narrow. There's not very much flavor or fluff, nearly anything and everything you find is just related to the one central mystery (which is admittedly composed of a series of mysteries). There's a lot more empty spaces in the world.

But I will say that Outer Wilds being so focused means that you get a fairly unique kind of gameplay where in-between noodling around exploring, you can make progress on the game when you're not even playing, just by thinking hard about where you haven't gone yet or thinking about loose ends that you haven't tied up yet. I'm not really a fan of a lot of the style of storytelling of the game, but the experience of just thinking through the clues and things opening up from that is pretty interesting, and a really unique one. Although I'm nearly at the end, after exploring every celestial body and there's only one question mark left on my big board of things and I've been stumped by how to actually get there to do something with it.

Also the the thing about Outer Wilds that people don't talk about much is that the main gameplay is that the whole thing is a first person astrophysics simulator where you gotta do things with orbits and relative velocity, which if you're a space nerd, good, but if you're not, there it is. There's also "quantum" stuff which I think is kinda dumb.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Frozen Zero doesn't give you the coral + salt recipe, so I guess there's a little extra fretting over your water supply for a while. I guess if you want to get through the game faster and you're not interested in collecting food to get more secure with staying alive, do the mode with less survival stuff, but I've never tried that.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Where are you stuck at, out of curiosity? Also the Quantum stuff, like everything else in the game, is an exercise in knowledge and understanding. You can do the Quantum Moon easily if you understand its rules, it's a question of learning them.

I think the biggest trouble I had with the quantum stuff actually came from the fact that I didn't realize that the ship itself can fire scouts, although even after understanding the rules, I'm still grumpy because in a game that otherwise is about physics simulation, here's a total nonsense concept in the mix that is already hooked into a rule of physics that is often misunderstood in pop culture.

As for the point where I'm stuck, I mean it when I say I've explored every single celestial body. Everything on the rumors board is grey except for the question mark of the Ash Twin Project. I've been through Dark Bramble, found Feldspar and the Vesssel, I've gone into the core of the big gassy planet, I've been through everything on Ember Twin and Brittle Hollow (Hanging City and Black Hole forge are marked as complete), I found the one Nomai structure on Hollow's Lantern, I met the Nomai on the Quantum Moon, I've been to the Sun Station and even checked all the warp pads, I've been back and forth a bunch to White Hole Station, I've been inside the Comet to the core. I've even seen the Nomai underwater stuff inside Timber Hearth. There just doesn't seem to be a way inside of Ash Twin.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nothing can stop you. Odds are there's some big stompy things that you missed anyways.

It's a great thing that so many indie games end up forging their own unique flavors of game, but you do end up without replacements when you finish a game you really like.

uPen posted:

For hints think about how you got to the black hole forge.

You mean, flying my ship directly inside the planet and parking it on the ceiling because getting back to the surface after going inside the planet is a pain in the dick? :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Dang there really was no danger at all in BZ except the awful glacial basin part

The glacial basin is mostly a farce of danger. It definitely seems dangerous, but the cold is actually pretty easy to fight off by munching food, Snow Stalkers are actually less aggressive than you'd expect, and Snow Worms are either bugged or nerfed because the environmental design just wouldn't work if they were a real threat.

The main dangers in that game are:
  • Early on, a fish freezing you when you're low on air and you're left hopelessly sinking away from the surface
  • Being lured into complacency going too deep relying on oxygen plants so that you all of a sudden either the plants haven't regenerated yet or you can't find your way back and you don't have enough oxygen to get back to safety
  • Bumping around seatruck modules trying to figure out how they work and then they accidentally explode
  • Late in the game, the genuinely scary nightmare leviathan lurking around the final alien base will nibble on you, but ALSO on the way back up to the surface, the shortest path is through a hole into the geyser environment where a jumbo shrimp leviathan hangs out noshing on cryptosaurs, so if you've already taken damage from the nightmare leviathan, you may end up falling prey to that thing.
And I guess fair enough if it doesn't want to be as much of a horror game, but it's an awful lot more shallow without the spooky credible threat of danger.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It was weird wandering through abandoned labs, wondering what happened there, and then when checking my data logs I found a message that you have right from the beginning from one of the scientists who was there and she was just reassigned.

Although the scientists at the virus research lab probably died.

And actually the Alterra stuff turns out to be mostly tangential to the story the game wants you to follow, which is weird considering how it's the inciting incident.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lunar Suite posted:

My idea was that, rather than skirting around "what happened to my sister?" (Exactly what Alterra told you: an accident.) they should have gone for of course she's dead from the beginning, and used that to give the game a tight, central theme.

Well...I dunno. It was an "accident" is at the very least what everybody reports, but it was an accident while she was skulking around in an area she was explicitly told not to be in, and she had her accident with the security officer of the site, who the game had done everything in its power to define as sleazey, and there's also that last audio log where she and Maida were discussing how Robin would go off and sneak into the leviathan cave to cure it and stop the research while Maida said she would "take care of" the virus research site, (which if you find it, you can see that she did that with explosives, but there's nothing that points you towards that lab and not really any benefit for finding it).

So that still seems pretty suspect, but there's not much to explicitly confirm things, and it doesn't really make sense why Robin didn't have the cure on her when she died.
Either way, it seems like kind of a dangling plot thread, but the game is kinda full of plot threads that go nowhere. With most of the bases, you know what happened with them, the company just pulled out of the planet. There's not an arc to most of the audio log characters even though they have more details than in Subnautica. There doesn't seem to be much of a plot to the Mercury II, and even the alien ruins don't seem to have much storytelling built into the environment or logs.

Cartoon Man posted:

For the worm section, make them either one shot kill you or deal like 85%-90% health. Build a door or cave that blocks the Prawn from getting in there and encourages Snowfox use or crafting pounders to survive the worms. Beef up the snowfox durability too and make it drat near impervious to accidentally slamming it into a wall or falling from heights. Driving the snowfox is supposed to be the mega fun highlight of the game, loving fix it already!

Maybe they could've made some kind of mechanic where the prawnsuit needs antifreeze to keep working in the snow? But either way you can't "fix" the snow worms without radically redesigning them and the environment. They're too big and too fast to really avoid in such a closed area. I also kinda thought that there'd be the option to repower thumpers to deal with them since you find one and a log talking about it, but there's just the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It was weird to find Marguerite and then after you do the relevant quests, there's not actually any story that comes from it. You get some datalogs and a fancy food recipe, but it's totally unnecessary to beat the game so far as I know.

chainchompz posted:

I never used a thumper.

Yeah I don't think you actually can. There's a couple towers and datalogs talking about them, but there's nowhere to actually put a battery.