Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Started playing this again and drat has it improved a lot! Intros! Scanning fish! Really feels like a real game now and its gorgeous too. Took like 5 hours of searching to find solar panel blueprints but i finally got a base working. Built a nice lighthouse I can see from several zones away. Good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I have never had a problem with this, and in fact really like the way the game handles it with the compass and nav beacons. I drop a bunch of nav beacons everywhere, and then memorize other features like "There's a vent halfway between the Lighthouse and Bird Spire Islands, there's a wreck I need to explore halfway between the Blood Kelp Chasm and the Glowing Cliffs" etc. and so on.

Also might be worth noting you can name your beacons.

I'm actually not really looking forward to the map stuff, the current navigation scheme is something I actually really like. Even without a compass and beacons you always have two points on the map - Your escape pod and the Aurora, which is more than enough to be able to reliably tell where you are. (Before I got the compass and while I was still scrounging for beacon material I basically used a clock based mapping system based around the pod with the Aurora at 12 oclock)

I will agree that the "hidden recipes" are annoying, and I do have some problems with the game, but I used to have a lot more and I 100% think they are going to fix the rest of it. They've definitely earned my trust at this point.

Truga posted:

I think I've pretty much built what there is to build in this game... except find a sea glider fragment. Are these supposed to be so rare? Wiki says they're found in kelp forests, but I've scanned >100 kelp forest fragments now, none were sea glider ones.

They are like really weird. The fragment distribution is, imo, one of the few remaining things I don't like about the game. There's no logic of any sort to their distribution, which means finding the rare ones essentially requires looking them up online and hoping. I will say that there are actually, as far as I can tell, variations in fragments based on proximity to wrecks/crashed pods. I did the same thing as you forever looking for solar panels (internet says shallows/kelp but hell if I could find any) before realizing they only seem to spawn in near crashed pods and then I found like a dozen in a row once I narrowed it down.

Also, when you say say "built all there is to build" do you have a seamoth/item updrage consoles working? I just got to that point after thinking I was done and hot drat it feels like a whole new world is open to me!

GenericOverusedName posted:

I have so much stupid hunks of gold in my lockers. Almost every non-limestone outcrop can have gold in it. I don't need all this gold!
I thought the exact same thing until I got sick of my massive base losing power every night and built a long relay chain to a steam vent I filled with thermal plants, and then I was super glad to have it all.

You can also use relays as navigation aids! Follow the blue lines to get around!

The real question is what I'm going to do with all this lithium and diamond when what I really need is silver and copper...

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 21, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I do hope they'll open it up to multiplayer eventually, even though it's unlikely to happen anytime soon. The thing I honestly most want right now is the ability to show off my stuff to people and show them col stuff I've discovered..

Also yeah looking forward to more room variety, but I'm assuming that one is actually planned.

I really need to check out the roadmap in more depth at some point just to get excited over what is planned.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 21, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hah, that was quick, I'd already edited the post to include a reference to that post when I remembered I'd read about it before.

Honestly, I think it's a good approach. As great as multiplayer would be, I'm happy with them continuing to work on the core experience instead with maybe plans on doing a multiplayer version later.

I still want it though.

Going through the roadmap, looks like in the near term we can expect (that I found notable):

o2 supplies in in bases and sea moths (and buildable things/upgrades to generate o2 from power/plants/etc).
Battery charging stations
remove terraformer (noooooo, I love the terraformer)
A new zone called "Lost River"
Lots of Cyclops improvements

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 21, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Incidentally, you can't harvest stuff from inside the Cyclops, right? How are you supposed to grab stuff beyond suit crush depth?

The players starting suit is basically magic in terms of it's ability to withstand pressure, made of future sci-fi materials designed to protect completely from g-forces in particular but all sources of pressure in general. I imagine it's using some sort of crazy gravity tech, similar to what the pod uses as an anchor and what the propulsion gun uses to manipulate stuff, but to a much finer level of detail and manufacturing than you can manage on planet.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Also, for the person looking for the seaglide, I just found one. Not near a wreck, but very close to start. From the initial pod position, head due NW. There's a drop off into the kelp, and then a stone arch. Just beyond the stone arch there's a mobile vehicle bay fragment... and a seaglide fragment! It's on a raised section, not on the very bottom. Anyways, if you keep going, there's actually another two more a bit further on on the ground beneath a very high spot (not on the high spot itself).

I'll report the location of any more I find, but there's three right next to start in basically a line NW from the initial pod, not far into the kelp at all, so I figure it might be useful to you.

Edit: Just found several more. The answer definitely seems to be "check the kelp NW of of the start pod" (directly away from a spot just behind the crashed ship)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 22, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Has anyone spent much time down in the Inactive Lava Zone? I'm finally able to get some depth, but I'm still only on the verge of being able to go inside. It's crazy deep. Need to craft more pressure upgrades...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

No, they're fine.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

A video of the new scanner room in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UH9Z0uFfSY

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

lilspooky posted:

Have the devs made any mention on the fact that you can only "sorta / kinda" kill stuff in this game? Like I know you can knife things to death but otherwise it's a stun rifle and a torpedo that apparently either stuns or blows things away from you (haven't tested it). Just curious since you've got the reapers and soon you'll have the sea dragon things which all kill the poo poo out of you, except in the cyclops I guess.

The primary way to kill things right now is to harden your Seamoth and ram the crap out of them.

Personally, I really like the "stun and ram or stun and stab" combat. The vortex torpedo is also definitely capable of killing things - it crashes them into each other and does quite a bit of damage. Following it up by driving in yourself is just the cherry on top.

You've never driven repeatedly through a school of biters with your moth? I definitely recommend it.

The propulsion cannon is also useful for killing things.

But the game isn't really about killing things and I'm good with it being the way it is where it isn't easy to do and has to be more "personal".

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Antoine Silvere posted:

that brings me to another question: how am i supposed to figure out the cardinal directions? when you're looking at the aurora from the escape pod, which direction is that? north?

Make a compass. Although the Aurora is east/northeast of your escape pod before then.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

dylguy90 posted:

I want more creatures capable to threatening the Cyclops. Like if this game doesn't end up being that scene where they take a sub through Naboo's core I will lose the ability to feel human.

Two words: Sea Emperor

I don't really know what it is, but they are going to live underneath the lava zone and rumors say they will be very large

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 23, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Dyz posted:

So I got on the experimental mode today and couldnt use my fabricator. It opens up and I go to mouse mode but the buttons don't show up.

Also when I start a new game I just walk on the sea floor instead of swimming.

Welcome to experimental! It's why I'm still on stable. :v:

Efexeye posted:

came within 1 second of drowning on a 14 hour hardcore save because i wanted to scan blueprints for a picture frame AND another kind of plant pot

Nothing quite like completely blacking out only to hear that sharp intake of breath and slowly have your vision return.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Efexeye posted:

I'm never going to find my 3rd Cyclops bridge piece. I'll never see like 60% of the map

Have you checked the Dunes past the Great reef and behind the Aurora?

For my own part I'm looking for Modification Station blueprints and thinking the same thing, so if you know where any might be...

Also, the cyclops is a mobile resource gathering base, not an exploration vessel, why would not having it limit you to 60% of the map?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Efexeye posted:

Well you can't go deeper than 225 in an unmodified Moth, so...place like the jellyfish cave are pretty much off limits. I have the whole upgrade console and no moon pool parts, as well :)

The cyclops has a more shallow dive depth than the moth though its only 200 max. And I got the moon pool before I built the cyclops anyway its not too hard just patrol the reef edges and bring a pressure compensator and two air tanks along with your seaglide and moth

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Truga posted:

I found these in caves under koosh zone.

Thanks didnt realize their were caves down there. Hopefully I wil have sone better equipment soon.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Can't craft the seamoth pressure compensator until you build a moon pool.

And you cant craft the cyclops one without a pessure compensator blueprint which is harder to find. Getting a moonpool isnt that hard by sticking to the shallower sections of the reef you can reach with the seamoth and swimming

Seamoth radar is now on my to do list, gotta find those caves

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 24, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Thanks for the recommendations! Found the mod station and filtration units in the koosh! I'm basically set to be "done" for a while once I check out it's recipes.

So here's a question: If you could choose any one material in the game to find a crate absolutely full of, what would it be?

For me, it would be silver, hands down. There's just never enough of it, and it gets used in so many recipes!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Man, I've always got lockers full of copper, limestone is everywhere and it's 50% copper!

Also, I've decided that hanging stingers are the most dangerous wildlife in the game. I've died 4+ times to them now, and nothing to anything else. They've even killed my seamoth twice by poisoning it so hard it exploded in a matter of seconds.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

So is the map or at least the zone map fixed then? I had assumed that it was randomised.

It's a mix of procedural and hand crafted. It started mostly procedural, but they are making more and more of it is hand crafted as they go on. They seem to feel the hand crafted bits just plain produce better results, and I can't disagree. I think only the dunes are still fully procedural?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Looks like we might be getting a healthy dose of plot related stuff soon. Warning: Spoilers.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Efexeye posted:

I build bioreactors anyway! poo poo is cheap and easy to refill, supplement with solar and you need to drop a mushroom and some kelp in like every 4 hours.

Ugh, Kelp is just so huge though.

Looks like the new Bioreactor is going to be internal and take up the middle section of a room. I hope it either: has a much larger capacity for shoving stuff inside, because I don't actually want to have to refuel something every 4 hours, or even better I hope it becomes a bit less picky and allows my to shove basically everything I don't want inside like bad fish or coral I didn't mean to collect or all these useless seeds. Then I can just use the thing as a waste disposal unit with a side effect of generating power.

Also the mushroom requirement is dumb, took me forever to find the mushroom forests first time I played so the bioreactor I built was useless to me!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

How do they even breed if the first predator they see causes them to explode.

Exploding is also their reproductive strategy

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The first time I encountered a reaper was underneath the front of the Aurora. I was coming into explore, having finally made a wetsuit. I didn't even have a seamoth yet, just paddling around. I hear that sound, and start looking around for what's causing it. Far below, I see something long and thin swimming through the darkness.

So I pull out my scanner. After all, this is clearly a new fish, and I have not scanned this fish yet, so there's only one obvious course of action! About halfway there, it turns towards and starts moving - quick. I begin to rethink my choices, and swim backwards, swimming back through some wrecked metal. The reaper gets caught and starts spazzing out, so of course I think to myself "Ha, it's trapped, now I can scan it!"

Turns out you can't scan reapers though. Disappointment. So I went and explored the Aurora and dodged crabs and escaped out the side hole. Fun trip.

Still not really scared of reapers, and I've swum around them plenty without ever getting attacked. I do try to be cautious, though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I would just like to say that the only proper subnautica base lies above the water.

For bonus points, build it towering into the sky, with the top floor covered in lights and windows as the ultimate beacon.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Zsinjeh posted:

I don't mind the lack of guns, but lots of science expeditions (especially extreme ones) have some sort of survival kit that usually contains weaponry. Cosmonauts had survival shotguns in the Souyez capsule to protect themselves against wildlife in Siberia for over 20 years.

Which is why you're given access to equipment like the repulsor cannon, vortex torpedos, and knives, all of which work as suitable (defensive) weapons.

Avenging Dentist posted:

My understanding (this may be fanfiction from obsessive nerds) is that lethal weapons do exist and your replicator can produce them, but you don't have the authorization to do it, since you're just some low-level engineer. Basically, you're being hosed by procedure.

Also, this. I imagine future weaponry actually meant for killing things would be so brutally effective they just straight up aren't going to give some nobody access to it. And it's a good idea. Give a player a powerful weapon and watch them kill themselves by shooting a hole in the wall of their cyclops 10 seconds after acquiring it. :v:

I dunno, I'm fine with the still quite lethal "adapted" murder tools available to us, like the knife and the basic seamoth and whatnot, and the very much gently caress-off murder tools of the torpedos.

If they didn't plan on removing terraforming explosives could be fun as the classic "works for killing even if it's not technically for killing!" sort of thing, but without terraforming they'll probably stay out.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hav posted:

So I realized just last week that solar collectors can go underwater. I've been building little islands for them above the water.

<sigh>

But the more water they are under, the less well they work, putting them above water is the reliable way to get the best performance. (and it's just cooler)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So I read the most recent update makes crafting painful and boring, to the extent that the game is significantly less fun? As in, multi-minute wait times to make stuff that used to be nearly instant before.

Seems insane, so I'm not sure I believe it for now, but I haven't played since the update and... uggh, god, I hope it's not true.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

According to that list, this change seems to be one that's for the sake of realism rather than gameplay, all of the minute+ times are on tools and other large items.

Changing things for the sake of realism seems especially dumb when the new result is no more realistic than the previous result.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Trustworthy posted:

I am okay with this change and the new nuances it will bring to gameplay. :smug:

I hope you get eaten by a crab squid.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Anything that has be standing in my buildings staring at a progress bar rather than being out exploring cool underwater landscapes is a bad move, imo.

Next are we going to have it so you have to hook up air tanks to a pump for five minutes before you can use them again?

What's weird is that longer crafting times would actually work better. Like the battery charges - something that takes enough time to do that you could leave it to do it's thing while you go on another adventure is fine. These changes move a lot of stuff to the utterly horrible middle ground of "takes too long to wait for, doesn't take long enough to justify leaving while it happens".

It's the worst of all possibilities.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ambaire posted:

On the other side is Minecraft, which is living proof you don't need crafting time for a compelling experience. Even most of the mods don't require any time to craft items. Obvious exceptions are pumps and thaumcraft infusion poo poo etc.

Even the stuff that people use that ends up adding crafting time, it's the "stick a stack of this in here, come back in an hour for a stack of that" which at least gives a nice feeling of productive automation in setting up machines that work while you're away - for that sort of stuff, it sets up a kind of rythm or pace, and subnautica sort of has that in the form of growing and breeding and hatching. But these changes don't even fit that sort of approach so who knows wtf they think they are doing.

Edit: Oh god people on the forums are complaining the crafting time sink doesn't apply to buildings too and it should.

gently caress gently caress gently caress

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 12, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144325/crafting-speed

Here's the thread. The devs are reading it and posting in it, so yes, please weigh in. Right now the overwhelming chorus is in support of it and even expanding it for the sake of "realism", "exploration" and "loving with impatient people".

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 12, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Met posted:

We're talking 4 minutes maximum. Do you get upset when you have to microwave something for 4 minutes? Because it already took time to get it and put it in the microwave? NO! Or at least you shouldn't, because if you've ever had used a microwave in your life, you know that that amount of time will go by like that. I would love to see how these people handle War Frame, where almost EVERYTHING takes hours and days to build not mere seconds and minutes.

:shrek:

I almost want to believe that one is an intentional and skilled troll, because it's really really just perfectly crafted to get my eye twitching.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Section Z posted:

Boy, I sure missed out on when we had fruits that wouldn't rot after 5 days in your inventory. I bet that was super OP right guys? I bet if it wasn't true the Devs would notice and revert fruit nerfs, instead of just leaving them at 5/3 food/water based on people just loudly screaming they are OP and making poo poo up.

I'm not surprised at this latest turn of events. I just underestimated the degree it was coming :shepface:

Now I did think fruit needed to be tweaked (it was a bit too easy a bit too early to rely on it as your sole food and water source combined) but when the feedback you're getting makes no sense it's not surprising if your answer to the "problem" is nonsensical I guess...

When I was developing Cataclysm, it's the same poo poo. Players don't know what the want, for the most part. It's worth listening to them to find where the problems are, but you should never take their "solutions" at face value. Players can point out problems, but they aren't developers. Like, an architect might listen to a customer complain about how hard it is to access part of a building, but a good one would not implement the customer's solution of knocking out some supporting struts to open things up no matter how great an idea it seems to the client...

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 12, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I like the furniture, dont know if i will ever use it but i appreciate decorations

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ooooh, the forum natives are mad you folks are posting, hahah.

quote:

This thread quickly devolved into dog-piling to coerce the developers with a "popularity" vote into discarding their design decisions.
Little more than elaborate, passive aggressive bullying.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

resting bort face posted:

Pubbies need to stop having dumb bad ideas and start sharing my good smart ideas.

No, that would be a disaster, most of my ideas are bad too. The devs just need to not implement pubby ideas unless they are actually good.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I loved the most recent guy explaining that a complex configuration menu that allows us "cheatrts" to use traditional craft times if we want is obviously the superior option.

What is wrong with these people? I was on the forums a while back and hasnt realized they has gotten this bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Its not even their vision, its something they were convinced they needwd to do because people hated the instant crafting