Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Wow did I sleep on this game for far too long.

Installed and began playing this past week, I'm already up to 13 hours on my save file. Not sure what is or isn't spoilers, so I'll err on the side of caution as I ramble about some of the stuff I've been getting up to. This game is incredible, and my mod list is growing (up to 38) everyday with more quality of life or tweaks as I run into new equipment or vehicles. This game is like Skyrim to my brain, just without all the awful combat bits.

Progress ramblings so far, no idea what is or isn't considered spoiler so just putting it all in tags:
I'm pretty certain I've found one of the paths into the lowest-depth biome, I did a suicide run to go as far in as I could and a giant red baddie ate me, and I have a series of oxygen recharging breadcrumb stations heading down to the threshold. I'm fairly certain I am missing some suit upgrades in order for that environment to be feasible-- so far I'm still just using my radiation suit. I setup a small outpost at the 900m entry to this fire area, that'll probably be expanded significantly next time I make the trip down that way, I don't currently have any sim-city locations or fully pimped out locations.. however I'm thinking of doing so in that one room with the gorgeous underwater tree leading to the lava area.

I also am on the lookout for an Orange tablet.. I've got a couple spare Purples, couple spare Ion squares.. Not sure where those need to go, but fully exploring the SW Island was next on my to-do list. Used some of them on the NE island while waiting for the pickup, and powered up the Island portals. I found another portal deep that was unpowered (!) in the River biome.. I think, I don't actually remember where that was so I hope one of the un-named beacons I dropped last-night was near it.. I've since installed a mod to rename beacons.

Also the Cyclops is the best thing, I can't wait to find more vehicle upgrade fragments so I can actually start improving it / the Seamoth. Once I got it setup, I definitely installed a Nuclear reactor thanks to mods, and I now have everything I could need on the go.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

withak posted:

TFW when you cruise past the edge of a cliff and head downwards into the dark, not knowing if you are descending to a new biome or sailing directly towards one of the monsters that guards the edge of the map.

Scared the hell out of myself doing that, I then managed to clip out of bounds while swimming away which made it worse because objects were popping in and out as far as it was rendering with no water or walls visible.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I finally got around to picking this back up after getting a bit stuck, busy, then moving so I kinda just put it down for awhile. Finishing the first game at just over 30 hours. Endgame / final zone spoilers below.

i cannot believe I never noticed I could craft the blue tablets. Holy poo poo!! I was stuck at the force field in the primary facility forever. Felt real silly to cycle through my crafting list only to see it right there the whole time! So wow, crafted those and purples up (literally never scanned a purple in 30 hours of playtime), I had to look this up and realize I was somehow neglectful at scanning the broken tablet until the final hour of my playthrough. I’m absolutely amazed I just missed that assuming oh it’s broken despite that being how you learn every other blueprint! Either way if feels good to have solved the mystery with minimal spoilers outside of being told those two tablet colors are craftable.

What a cool way to end the game. Loved to help my alien buddy. Was definitely sad, but I enjoyed seeing them in the ending credits again :unsmith:

Also lol at the very end. “Docking requires you to pay your balance of 70tril..” insert Jack ‘we should’ve never left the island’ stuck in my head at that point. Can’t lie it DID make me want to reload that save and go full on sim city in several zones with nocost enabled.

Non spoiler feedback: check your crafting list. I also recommend mod wise to not mod the sea moth too heavily / don’t give it max depth module upgrade from the mod until you’ve already been there otherwise. You’ll ruin the final zone’s certain vibe like I did, and I wish I had discovered it the intended way.

Definitely gonna be picking up BZ next sale. I’ll probably replay through the first at some point especially if/when I get a VR setup.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Got a friend into this game finally as a way of experiencing it for the first time vicariously all over again.

My playthrough it took me til after I'd built the drat Cyclops to find the Compass blueprints. For them, they've got the Seamoth before they've found Beacon fragments.

Wait hold up— there’s a freaking compass blueprint I entirely missed? Oh my.

Edit2: can someone spoiler for me how to how to repair the aurora’s engines? Can I do this basically right after getting radiation suit and repair tool? I imagine there’s a pretty easy route to get everything. I had no idea you could repair it before checking the hidden achievements. I checked what four achievements I missed— engine repair, two degassi bases I didn’t fully scan apparently, and hatching a critter. Kinda want to complete them all, now.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 28, 2022

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

You can enter and fix the Aurora as long as you have the radiation suit, repair tool, a laser cutter, 2-3 fire extinguishers, and the grappling gun. May not even need the grapple gun if you take the back door by climbing up the outside of the wreckage I think.

Sweet, thank you! Gonna spin up a second file and zoom through that one later today. I don't usually chase achievements, but this game was something special and I absolutely want an excuse to do more time. Base building isn't really enough to hook me, but the exploration and feeling this game provided was so unique.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

lol i found an orange tablet in one of the degassi bases I didn't fully explore. The kicker? I set up a habitat 100m to the side of this place, and used it as one of my very first venture points into the deep. Apparently never realized I didn't explore the upper portion of the base nextdoor to me.

oh and also I realized i *did* have the compass, so I just totally forgot about that bit of hud. I didn't miss that one, thankfully.

BZ is on sale as it turns out, so i'm going to pick that up. Probably going to let myself finish Sub1 achievements first, then take a bit of a pause between jumping into BZ. Curious to see I feel about it, understanding the general sentiment is less good than one.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 28, 2022

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

The blue is, you pick up one and get the communication and can then craft from there. I just completely didn’t check the crafting list because I also never thought to scan the purple, which has to be scanned to craft.

Then I just never found the orange, apparently, until my post game achievement hunt, if there was a second orange I previously used I never scanned it so it didn’t exist in the crafting list. I never thought to scan any of the tablets, and the only one you are for sure without requiring scanning is blue.
colors and crafting spoilers but nothing major

It’s entirely possible I started playing this run back before the pickup = taught applied to the others. It has been awhile.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Picked up BZ already because it was conveniently on sale, and I didn't feel like waiting after getting 100%. First 4 hour impressions:

I like the seatruck so far. I'm likely going to find a mod to expand the cargo capacity + crafting from those because I don't like inventory management, but it seems to be a pretty nifty thing. I do enjoy being able to separate modules from it, honestly this is pretty cool and i'm okay with it over the seamoth + cyclops so far.

The inflatable rescue tool is SO MUCH BETTER HOLY poo poo. Not only does it rocket you up compared to subnautica, you can use its charge for a 15s air burst? Absolutely has come in handy.

The game seems to have better designed biomes. They're more fun to swim around and explore so far. They also give you a lot of oxygen plants in some areas, making it easy to explore down to ~250m surrounding that first SOS signal, which was a pretty fun area to explore early on, just after getting a sea glider and that's about it.

Mineral scanner tool is so loving good!

I'm gonna be kicking myself because so far I've built the seatruck, fabricator & storage module.. most of my tools, have found that pirate lady's base but can't seem to find a handheld fabricator yet.

edit: welp. found the habitat builder, finished prawn suit research.. did a lot of deep exploring, but then I suddenly entered noclip mode for some unknown reason and my game went unresponsive after not allowing me to save. need to remember to save more often, but that was a totally weird bug and it didn't allow me to save, so I lost about an hour

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 30, 2022

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

To followup on my 'suddenly no-clip mode' bug-- retraced my steps this morning, and it turns out before I entered noclip, a TON of textures just flat out didn't load in one of the underwater biomes. But huzzah! we're ready to build a proper base now

edit:

onesixtwo posted:

I'm gonna be kicking myself because so far I've built the seatruck, fabricator & storage module.. most of my tools, have found that pirate lady's base but can't seem to find a handheld fabricator yet.

hahaha, yep sure am! Just learned it from the underwater area. As I go to do the plot point, i see one sitting RIGHT IN THE OPEN next to one of the delta base buildings sure enough i just ran right past it hours ago.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 30, 2022

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Below Zero 12 hours in (oh god has it seriously been 12 hours already?) update:

Feeling the smaller world feedback, in the sense that I am stumbling into waypoints given by the story real frequently. There definitely isn't meant to be any mystery discovery going on, it's clear they had a set linear path and you don't need to explore to find breadcrumbs, they just end up being ontop of one another. I know in Subnautica you'd get beacons, but this is fetch quest territory with a new one given every time you complete the last. It also seems to overlap multiple objectives very close to another. When I went arrived at and finished my initial check at delta base, immediately points me in direction to find the sunken ship containing the research parts for the upcoming fetch quest -> pirate lady base where you get the fetch quest -> oh hey here's the crystal cave!

Entirely possible it's just been that long since I was receiving distress calls in Subnautica so I am forgetting their frequency, but instead of "i need to prepare for the journey," vibe everytime, it's more "cool 500m away lets just go now" since the game taught me 200m down, outside of the drop pod: nothing is dangerous or going to kill me unless I just gently caress up and lose track of air. Subnautica's emptiness made any venture to the sea floor or jellyfish caves+ feel like it was just too far to be comfortable without first setting up a forward staging base. I used an air pump for ~10 minutes before noticing enough oxygen plants at 250m to swim endlessly without the dive mask.

Air is almost limitless right away in any story relevant / resource rich farming spot, and the game so far hasn't shown me more than two entrances to 700+ depth, after some caving with tons of air pitstops literally lighting the way. At least the oxygen plants stop around that depth to give it some sense of danger, but I already found the modules to give my truck 1km depth so.. back to no danger of running out of air, ever?

At the same time, the game does a good job at making the biomes seem bigger than they are still because there's so many opportunities to refill your air in the depths, keeping you swimming around the cave network. Exploring ~400m down with the 90s tank without ANY fear for air wasn't at all what I expected after playing Subnautica first, so it made the opening hours more exciting to explore knowing I could go far down. The water definitely feels more like your home instead of an outright hostile enemy in BZ. You're doing more cave diving, less giant mostly empty open room exploring. It also feels more claustrophobic right out the gate, which really adds to the feeling that everything is so much smaller.

Have my truck ready for 1k depth, prawn 750 so I know where i'm going next dying to that levithan in the crystal caves who scared the absolute living hell out of me earlier this morning! I evaded but YIKES HE MAD.

Took me forever to find a Spiral Plant. I feel like this is yet another early area spawn I completely missed like the habitat builder, but now that I have it I'm feeling pretty unstoppable.

Oh, creature spoiler Sea monkeys.. BRING me treats now?! :blush: One just showed up with a Magnicite at random! I still haven't found one of those myself, so they're doing much better at Scanner room upgrades than I am.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 31, 2022

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Manager Hoyden posted:

Regarding the creature spoiler: It's more likely to happen when you have a recipe pinned

ooh, thank you. I'll keep that pinned for awhile I think..

Just discovered a hatched hostile creature is friendly to you. I sense gimmicks in my future plans.

I'm bad at base design! but learned I can "hide" a nuclear reactor like this and now I have guard dogs.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Yeah, wow I never made a grav trap and spent forever collecting all the needed teeth.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Nice!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

In my experience, I found lots of things without realizing it because ‘scan everything’ and didn’t check what they unlocked until, much later. Random codex entires do give you unlocks.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Those people are wrong, if you shut down the cannon the sunbeam will not be destroyed and its crew will survive. It is not destined to fail at all. Do it. Do it now

:aaaaa: you’re making me really want to make a new file and rush to this point just for the new dialog.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

something about ad revenue or, nexus terms changing to say they owned anything hosted and not the mod authors

it's mostly just annoying for the end-user because idk what mod authors ever made money off making mods, but i'm not sure what nexus did is anything outside the standard fare 'if it's on our hosting site, we have rights to it' most services do? it was kinda just a weird thing, but yeah a bunch of my SN1 mods aren't there anymore, and you have to go through a discord server to try finding anything which only the nerdiest will want to wade through just to make the seaglider not suck, or whatever

Also thanks for that spoiler, that solves my intrigue.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

TTBF posted:

When I was 3 or 4 I got traumatized by being stung by jellyfish in a brown water bay. I haven't entered water where I couldn't see the bottom ever since. So when I'm descending in Subnautica but can't see the floor it begins to really get to me.

Yeah this same thing gets me, my first play through I would have to take breaks when things felt too tense. It’s a definite different kind of fear impulse than most horror games.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

Did this update invalidate saves?

:ohdear: that Bz save I never finished from almost half a year ago can’t delete itself before I finish..! I liked that base I built.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

EasyCraft is so QOL it honestly deserves to be baked into the main game, everyone should be using it.

I’m also a big fan of killing the inventory management game entirely, so advanced inventory / customized storage for me, another huge QOL but definitely can be too powerful.. but entirely your own choice. Personally I made the wall lockers in my cyclops max storage.

Installing a 2d map won’t help you at all, but I do echo the remarks on this one, learn how to navigate with beacons and you’ll never be lost. Just never leave without a beacon or two to drop.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Game is currently on sale right now, too, so it doesn’t hurt to hide some of the surprises you find around that depth.

Finally built my first base in my fresh 2.0 run, 6 hours in we have the cyclops, prawn, and the beginning stages to go into the deep have started. I should probably go to the escape pods / jellyfish first though. I’m missing an embarrassingly large amount of necessary survival base items since I ignored the distress beacon breadcrumbs knowing I had other things in different directions to collect, first.

Going to try and focus less on the cyclops overall this run, and now that I know what the end is, spend a lot more time combing the dunes for all the resources I want for the perfect 900m base this time around. Speaking of, where is the blueprint / a scannable fragment for the large general room they added from BZ?

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 16, 2023

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Invalid Validation posted:

The auto crafting and the bigger action bar should have been in the base game as far as I’m concerned.
Goon who works for them now, we are all looking at you.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Bad Munki posted:

You never forget your first Cyclops vs Seatruck argument

Unless you incorrectly picked the Seatruck as superior in which case you are probably used to being wrong all the time

:hmmyes:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I hold my breath every time the screen blacks during a resurface. It’s very tense and a fine line between cursing my shiny attracted brain and celebrating.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Serephina posted:

Did they backport being able to breathe from the emergency bladder? Or was it only just making it good at it's basic job?

Yes, they back-ported it and it is worth crafting in Sub1.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

please leave teeth they are so annoying to find

Teeth farming is easy once you know they only drop from one kind of animal, and you can just park near them and let them rearrange scrap metal for 15 minutes then loot their leftovers. You can also scanner room them.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Oh, yeah don’t sleep on Greg traps.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If the next Subnautica game is just a redone version of the first with some more stuff, but it's now co-op, I honestly couldn't complain :shrug:

:emptyquote:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Sounds like a way to make the player like the teleporting assholes. This is not a “swim away from the scary thing” game, you get attention of aggressive creatures if you stray too far into their habitats. A random chance encounter of apex predator just, hunting you down, is very much not my idea of why this game is good.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I want (legit, non-janky) Subnautica multiplayer sooooooooooo much. So very much.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

General Battuta posted:

DRG has fine mtx imo. Absolutely nothing in the game pushing you towards them, you can just buy them if you want to support the devs. I bought a cosmetic pack after playing for a couple hundred hours because I wanted to thank them for making such a good, generous game.

DRG is so chill that you can play with mods to your heart’s content and still advance the various unlocks. I run an extra players mod so we don’t have to leave someone out if five or six people want to play at the same time, and none of the game’s progression systems give a poo poo.

If the mtx finance Ghost Ship’s ability to keep patching and expanding a game I love, then imo that’s cool.

I love DRG :shobon:

This isn’t an empty quote we might be the same person. Drg is the first game I’ve gone out of my way to buy microtransactions for. It’s only cosmetics that you don’t even see because the game is in first person. I guess you can see the guns, but I honestly don’t even? I just wanted to support them for making such a great game and purposefully not trying to attach upgrades or new mechanics or seasons behind a paywall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I only learned from this thread. It’s a pretty specific route and timing wise you gotta know it’s possible.