Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I've been playing this game in early access for like a year now and it's great. Really pretty. And I've been impressed with the regular and substantial content additions. I love my deeeeeep base setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Honky Dong Country posted:

New update!

Battery and Power Cell charging stations. Also the sea treader is in and produces resource rocks and poops that work in bioreactors. I'm super stoked about the charging stations since hopefully that'll end the never-ending cycle of battery/cell production.

They also made gas torpedoes produced using gasopod fart orbs which I'm hoping will be somewhat lethal.

They also added beds which is cool. I've always set up a room with a small aquarium of fish, potted non-edible plants, a desk and chair, bench etc. Now a bed in there too will make it a proper bedroom. It will no longer seem like you're playing and insomniac that never closes his eyes ever like some kind of freak.

This is great. Constant battery/cell production was the most annoying thing (to where I just started console commanding them in after awhile),

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It's worth mentioning this game is super pretty in VR. Also scary.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's not really surprising that those forums are super insular, I don't think many people would bother even signing up versus just posting on Reddit so the ones that do get to feel high and mighty. I mean, I like the game a lot, but those people are invested

Hell I barely feel invested enough to post about it here (even though I do like the game a lot). But I signed up over there to say gently caress crafting timers, because gently caress crafting timers.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It really does feel like some free to play shenanigans, like it should be asking me for .99 to speed up my timers. Maybe let me buy a coin doubler while I am at it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
One of the things that I really like about this game is they haven't just been adding stuff throughout the EA process, but they keep adding a lot of significant new things that are fun to play with. Like putting in a modular exosuit at this stage is pretty great.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The closest things that sound like Reapers (before you figure out the differences) are Screaming Sharks (Shark Screamers? Something scream in the name.) They're fast but they don't instakill you and they bump harmlessly off of the Seamoth most of the time.

Edit: Bone Sharks! That's what they are technically called.

The first time one of these fuckers came up on me from the side in VR, I just about wet myself.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Voyager I posted:

Because surely there is no precedent for complications arising from attempts to add on entirely new gameplay mechanics at the end of development in systems that were never designed with them in mind. There is definitely no way this could be problematic.

Oh and there's also never been a case where late development changes have been good?

Assuming the worst is just as dumb as assuming the best. Why not wait and see what the changes look like in SOME form other than vague trello posts before getting all up in arms about them?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ambaire posted:

:saddowns:
I'm deeply sorry that some of you seem to hate Breathedge and the narrator. It's my favorite game ever and I love the irreverent humor and the suit AI is my best buddy. Condom oxygen balloons? Hell yes. Fart propulsion? Hell even more yes.

Regarding tools, you can get an upgraded handy scrapper fairly quickly (past the first area, once the radiation lowers, you can scan it in an engineering shuttle near the glowing areas) and there's also an infinite durability version later on. The other stuff is mostly cost-benefit deals where you trade the resources for the tool for its durability in aluminum or alkali or resin or rubber, etc,. and you really don't need much.

The deployable oxygen generators are very useful for scavenging an area.

Edit: hmm. I hadn't actually launched the game since the release; my last experience was with the Early Access version. Seems they've changed a few things... different music after exiting the starting area for the first time, different warning sounds; and checking the Steam discussions, apparently the post-Normandy sections are totally different and on rails from what came before.

Now I'm regretting not backing up the EA version somewhere.

Edit 2: Loaded a Normandy save to see what comes after for myself. This is... I don't know what this is, but the game is complete garbage now.

Early access version was good and fun. Release Breathedge is .. don't bother playing this crap.

this post was a real roller coaster ride

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh man, don't sleep on making the powered fins. I didn't make them for a long time because they were sort of underpowered in the original game, but they charge poo poo super fast in this one. You can swim around with the ore detector out or use the seaglider and still be gaining charge on their batteries. They're basically a "never worry about tool batteries again" upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pollyanna posted:

Don’t the charging fins require some late-game mats with hard to find components like benzene and synthetic fibers n poo poo?

I think the only difficult mat is the young cotton anemone for hydrochloric acid -> polyaniline which you have to get from the deep lilypad area. Aside from that it's just a wiring kit.

I kind of beelined doing all the depth upgrades so what may be mid-game for me may be end game for everyone else

(edit): I guess you also need a diamond for the modification station, but those are pretty early

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 21, 2021