Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Started playing the other day.

Hmm, I think it's time to relocate from my first base under the lifepod made entirely of X-sections to a new one now that I have proper rooms.

Oh dear, decisions decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I'll leave the old base there but I'm still pretty scarce on resources so I'll want to have a home where I keep the expensive things and all my materials junk and also have my precious battery charger hooked up.

I'm not made of copper damnit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have, but I haven't seen any magnetite yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Look for deep caves close to the shallows, or far south/north. Magnetite starts at about 250m down.

I built a little scanner station in the southwest and that gave me a whole lot, thanks.

EDIT: and then I can brush over the scanner station with the habitat builder accidentally and all four mods vanish.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 21, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

Also don't look at any maps or such. I wish I had never done it for the original.

I'll be honest, I cheated to look up the location of the battery charger fragments and it was one hundred percent worth it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, can I pop over to the island and deconstruct the Degrassi bases for precious glass?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does Seamoth sonar attract mobs?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WarpedNaba posted:

Dunno, but the light sure as hell does.

That's why I'm wondering, I wanna explore the depth without light for safety.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Upgrade I want: collapsable Seaglide. Exactly the same but a third the inventory size. I would blow a lot of resources on that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speedball posted:

Though that's asking a lot from the devs of a finished game.

Not if it's done for Below Zero and backported!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I should press forward with the plot but I really just wanna keep decorating my base and making it nicer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can I build moonpools in various scattered places and shout SAFE as I zoom up into it with a bunch of monsters following me then wait a bit then zoom to the next one

Deep exploration.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I were designing this game, I'd have a vehicle that you can craft from fairly early, maybe about maybe a quarter of the way into game which is basically just a room you can put storage and things in. Say it can't power equipment inside when travelling and isn't that fast or maneuverable, but it can dock directly to a base with an airlock and become part of that base and draw power from it. Make it easier for you to build multiple bases around the map without the irritation of items and expensive tools being a hassle to move or being left behind at a main base.

I know that there's a late-game vehicle you can build, but by then you've probably done a lot of exploring and established a homebase and from what I hear it fills a bit of a different role.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 25, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

OH CHRIST IT WAS DARK AND SOMETHING GRABBED ME AND IT WAS TOO DARK TO SEE EXCEPT A BLUR AND NEARLY CRUSHED ME AND HELD ON AND WAS ROARING

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DropsySufferer posted:

Instead of this below zero dlc I really really wish they were doing an Abyss expansion.

The lowest the sub goes is 1300 meters which is pathetically nothing. The Mariana trench is 10000 meters deep! Imagine the adventure getting that far down!

But no instead we get some ice :smith:

I'm imagining a game map turned sideways, where the entire thing takes place in a trench a hundred metres max wide, and kilometres long and deep. Everything clinging to the side or on rock shelves and cave systems off sideways into the rock.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DropsySufferer posted:

The only issue would be the travel time. So there would either have to be other biomes and more to do on the way getting down or a new super fast sub. Buildable teleporters would work too.

I mean like the map literally be like a regular map on its side, you you'd have different biomes and points all around the trench and it'd be a slow progression over the course of the game from top to bottom as you unlock more and more.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

Tldr: Bring some tame stalkers and some scrap to the moonpool at the gun platform. Its big enough they never wander out and just play ball with scrap as long as the biome's loaded.

Still sad you can't throw some scrap in tank in your base.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Loading up my Cyclops (jesus that thing's big) for my grand expedition to build a new proper base next to the blue glowy tree (seemed like a good place?) in the deep green caverns. It's like packing for a trip. Do I have everything I need?

LonsomeSon posted:

Do remember to take the upgrades out of their panel if you're going to use this, nothing like realizing you're out of Magnetite after blackholing your set of four range upgrades.

Exactly what happened to me after I brushed over it by accident with the habitat builder less than five minutes after building my range upgrades. :aarg:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Section Z posted:

If you ever want to bring the Seamoth around, remember to build any moonpools above ejecting your seamoth crush depth.

Noted

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:lol: that's awesome but you can put it at 890 and be fine! :eng101:

Yeah, I wanted a bit of leeway so I don't have to keep an eye on depth and also so I can do cool zoom-down-and-in drifts.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 28, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Started playing around with Prawn. Game is now Spiderman. Even when it'd be easier to just jet somewhere.

Wrr posted:

Just thought about base building in this game and how the devs did a good thing by making a big menu pop up with tabs and many rows of items to choose from. Only other game I've played in a while with base building is Fallout 4 and the UI for building in that is. . . just awful.

The base building UI is okay, but it could be better. I mean it's heavenly compared to Fallout 4, but that game's base UI was abysmal by any standards, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a temp thing that they were going to replace and never did because the game was clearly released when they went 'okay, deadline's passed, time to ship'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I might have to give my base a little Annex that consists solely of corridors I can cover in reinforcements so I can put windows on the cool bits.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just want to be able to load the game in less than five minutes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The composer and sound designer from FTL has replaced him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Subnautica's Unity, but its issues aren't really inherent to Unity, its current performance could be fixed far more easily than porting to an entirely new engine would be.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd guess a really lovely LOD implementation. They don't seem to have LOD models for large far things at all.

I think a lot of this is because Subnautica is secretly a Minecraft-like voxel game where you can reshape the landscape if you spawn in the terraformer tool. Everything being potentially dynamic hugely limits the optimisations that most open world games do, and keeping up performance for something like that is a very tricky task that they seemingly don't have down. But with the terraformer taken out of the game, it means that we have that huge performance hit for no reason.

I ran into this bizarre thing yesterday where it looked like there was this haze in front of where the mountain would be that faded to transparent as I got closer, presumably to hide the pop-in. But the haze was circular, and a slightly different colour than the sky behind it, and you could see the Quarantine Platform sticking out the side.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 1, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They're capable of optimization: they fixed all of those streamers' huge savegames. :shrug:

Very different skillset to graphics engine optimisation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DropsySufferer posted:

I’d also have liked it linked to the main game. But I guess the distance to the polar regions would be too far.

I do hope there are a bunch of references to Riley, it'd be fairly natural to have them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Welp.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

But what did you put in the time capsule?

Magnetite, Lithium, a thermoblade and an Ion Battery because gently caress batteries and the torch.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well right now the big reason is scanner rooms. More things like that would be nice.

Hopefully the Sea Truck will make the upfront costs and frustrations of a new base lessen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, I ran into that too, it doesn't refresh until you've left the area and come back sometimes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I hope we get to see more about life cycles.

It'd be cool if there was a narrative timeframe and leviathans and other persistent monsters hatched or grew over the course of the game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Morphix posted:

At this point I just think it's another excuse, because if it's really the core of the issue, why wouldn't they change it since it makes their performance so god awful.

Probably their entire development flow and tooling is built around using it as a modelling tool.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Morphix posted:

Oh so like instead of using say 3D Max/Maya to model the map they're using an in-game editor. Huh, I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing since the original Starcraft where the editor was powerful/robust enough to create the campaign maps. weird

Not necessary in-game, but that whatever system they have in place generates terrain and whatnot via outputting voxel-based models that are processed into surfaces, which is what enables terraformer and what causes the performance hit. Maybe editors that are basically a more advanced and technical version of the terraformer.

That said, it's entirely possible that they're planning to postprocess the terrain into an optimised model, but they have to wait until they've put a lock on it. Most games won't be hitting performance this early in the development cycle.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's very situationally dependent, especially in cases like this where it seems like there are low-hanging fruit (like the clouds thing)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WarpedNaba posted:

This game reinforced the yearning for deep sea mining that the Willard Price books started in my youth. Materials science is a cruel mistress :(

I wanted to live in Undersea City.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Heffer posted:

Okay I'm curious. Which books had the under sea stuff?

Uh, Underwater Adventure was shallow reef diving, Diving Adventure was the Undersea City.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DropsySufferer posted:

Space Subnatica wouldn’t work because space isn’t scary unless there is stuff like xenomorphs or ghost ships included.

The debris field of a vast alien ship that crashed into an asteroid and broke apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want Subnautica but instead of the terror I'm just building a huge cool underwater city while I explore an alien planet.

Okay a bit of terror too.