Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

LonsomeSon posted:

Seafloor Subnautica, you escape the collapse of a Rapture-like deep-ocean habitat where Something Happened and Everyone Went Wrong, and need to advance the plot enough to be able to get a rescue Cyclops sent

We're on the same planet so presumably anywhere there's open ocean to be on the deep seafloor of there's just a poo poo-ton of Leviathan-size predators ~

That would be amazing. Instead of a dive depth and air limitation, it's equipment and skills needed to be able to get higher in the water column without ending up as leviathan chow. Your air tank now has two parts, due to the Alterra-Nanotrans Metabolic support nanites, which you were graciously allowed to be voluntold to test, in the fine print of your midweek Employee Technology Usage Agreement update you were compelled to agree to. This acts as an emergency air supply, allowing you to quickly retrace your path when your tank runs dry and the surface is 4km straight up.

Instead of a single seamount that trails off into the abyss, you're in a huge expanse of absurdly huge geothermal vent chimneys. The base you flee from ends up falling into a newly opened vent, consuming everything in a fiery orgy of explosively decompressing hab modules. This vent opening awakens the much bigger versions of those flesh eating crab things from the first game, which proceed to slowly annihilate most of the outstation workers, prompting dozens of panicked radio messages. You wake up from your Nanite infusion nap with 2 oxygen bars, a wicked hangover, the inability to speak, and the crushing realization that you're most likely totally boned. Step 1 is escaping a twisted wreck of a base, grabbing what you can, snagging emergency oxygen breathers that last like 2 minutes because Alterra cost savings initiatives, and make it to one of the outstations on the edge of the big hole the base fell into.

The surrounding is filled with tons of caves, reefs, tubes and dozens of species that wish to avoid the harsh reality that being outside where you can see nothing but blackness and hear something big getting closer is in fact a bad idea.

First you have to find a radio that still has a teletype keyboard on it, so you can let the surface group know you exist. Then you have to find and jury rig a way to get your radio to talk to your PDA, and eventually do it via jailbreaking it. This is treated as an emergency measure on par with sending a man into the reactor to weld it, because you're defeating DRM on company property.

Once you're able to text message the surface, you're able to hold onesided conversations with topside(tm), who are trying to find a way to meet their contractual obligation to provide 'best effort rescue services' by basically making you harvest all the poo poo they need to build a custom Cyclops for you to be rescued with.

You have to gather up tons of super rare materials that are shockingly common, load them inside the surface launch device, which packs them in a box, inflates a bag and lifts it to the surface. Except the first one you launch gets fuckmurdered by the faintly glowing angry screamy thing sitting a few hundred feet up in the water column, with 2-3 chunks of your harvested resources flung out into the area to be recovered. So then you have to figure out from finding it's droppings what it eats and what might be poisonous to it, then create enough of it via harvested corals and plants that the next package makes it sick and teaches it to not eat your packages.

You have to explore a number of areas to get all of the rare stuff they need, for fish bits for superenameled glass, kyanite and naturally occurring fullerene sheets, and so on. You finally get the last batch launched, and are told to sit tight for a while while they work on the problem, but in the mean time, they might need something from somewhere, so get looking.

The sudden midgame twist is that your DRM crack they walked you through in order for you to talk with them away from the radio station means that because you defeated Alterra DRM systems their contract to save you is null and void, or so says the lawyer they have on retainer. So thanks for all the materials, but we're gonna go gently caress off now, best of luck chum. As a pity move, one of the voices sends down plans for some useful stuff for you to prototype your own escape system.

A high powered sonar station at the top of a vent you sneak up to and rebuild lets you know roughly how many layers of suck you're stuck under, and how big they are, how fast they move, and what your PDA speculates they eat. The sonar station also pisses off the Titan Class fuckhuge 200m long Dunkleosteus which straight up eats it whole shortly after you de-rear end the area.

It's basically a more robust windowless escape pod from the 1st game, but you have a few ways to outfit it, with there being 2 or 3 methods for getting past each layer of leviathans.

So now you have a choice between playing marine biologist to figure out what the hell the several layers of hell swimming around above you likes to eat, and how to get past all of it, or you build the subnautica equivalent of a manned naval mine.

Playing marine biologist, the pod is covered in blinky lights you learned are from a fish that is so disgusting tasting to most leviathans that it's basically deep sea skunk stripes. Dispensers waft out the extracted scent of something one species of leviathan are allergic to, a repurposed mapping sonar set that mimics an infant of whatever species is in level 3, and a homemade cocktail of herbs and spices that testing shows prevents the Bends via enzyme magic or some poo poo.

Playing as Commander Badass, the options are straight up brute force science and engineering, which results in your ride covered in power cells, electro shock spars, homing gravtrap torpedoes and unstable Rubidium Tetrazole explosives, and your original nanite infusion tube repurposed as a decompression chamber to keep you from turning into screaming frothy meat juice as you go from 3800 psi to 15 in 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

zeldadude posted:

I know I'm late but please make sure everyone gets the sonar upgrade for the cyclops, makes navigating the depths wayyyy easier than just being totally blind

Sonar mod is basically 110% mandatory if you don't enjoy trying to drive via bonking off of things.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's amazing to me how the water in BZ wasn't causing your character to go into hypothermia, but we're also dealing with logic that allows you to dive almost 2km below sea level, repeatedly, with no ill effects not caused by violent fauna, and also doesn't have your skin just fall off after weeks and weeks of constant water contact, so :shrug:

You could handwave it trivially by saying that Altera are cheap bastards and your self heating wetsuit shuts off when you're out of the water because it saves them like $4 per month per employee in energy.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MikeJF posted:

To be honest, the oxygen plants and thermal plants kinda knocked me out of things with how... obviously gamey they were.

Yeah, both of them were like "Ok, how can we make this area 'Professional Videogame Reviewer'-tier easy"? The entire above ground area would have been way more engaging if you landed at the dock, got out, froze for a bit, found a PDA that teaches you how to make disposable suit heaters out of lithium and sulfur, and now had to juggle something slightly harder than 'run back to the heatlamp flower'.

I just really wish they finally got the original subnautica moved to the new engine.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Cythereal posted:

Edit: Okay, this place did not expect me to bring the prawn in here and does not like it one bit.

You have learned the most important lesson: Ancient architecture is made of the same kinds of geometry that get you the tapdance of the damned

P.S. Everything down there loves the sound of your horn, so toot as much as you want!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Aoi posted:

Aw yeah. I've been waiting on this since my last playthrough earlier this year. It's been a hard wait.

I'm gonna wait for most of the QoL mods to get updated, then replay it.

Did the texture pop-in issues get fixed? That was my #1 complaint about the game.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

But the amount of recommended cardio you're about to do/likely already have done is such a bonus!

Think positively!

Your favorite activity was....swimming.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

If the next Subnautica game is just a redone version of the first with some more stuff, but it's now co-op, I honestly couldn't complain :shrug:

A UE 5 Subnautica with all the ray traced nonsense enabled, all the below zero stuff added in, and multiplayer co-op would be such an amazing cash grab rerelease. I'd pay list price twice just to force my friend to play it with me.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MikeJF posted:

Well seems more that they're starting a new engine from scratch, if the reports of switching to unreal are correct?

There is that, but hiring a few programmers that are very well versed in UE5 should make a huge difference in how long it would take to recreate first game's mechanics in new engine.

It also helps that a ton of the game's major pain points engine-wise are now basically baked in solved solutions in UE5 or one of the dozens of middleware layers available. Looking at you, ugly LOD grass pop-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SHISHKABOB posted:

If subnautica 2 can give me even the slightest glimpse at subnautica + barotrauma it could be one of the greatest games ever made.

I just want to be piloting my sub in some dark hole in the world, using lights and sonar to slowly map the area, when something hears my sonar pings and starts clicking back with it's own. And now you're playing hide and seek with something in the unknowable gloom that sounds like this, only much louder and more immediately terrifying.

Being able to scream at your team mates to 'turn the god damned lights off oh god it can see us' would be amazing. That or having four dudes in Prawns giving the Cave Reaper the ol' Marguerite sashimi special while Klendathu Drop plays over someone's hot mic.