Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I started playing Subnautica a day or two ago (I think I got it for free from Epic a million years ago?), so far my most memorable experience was, after being very lost for a good few hours at the start of the game, I finally get some stuff done and then it crashes and I lose two hours of not only progress but also somehow screenshots, since I didn't realize it didn't autosave. Then I went back and sunk another dozen hours into the game. Then my friend who was watching me play occassionally also got the game, played for ~40 minutes and then had to quit in a hurry and also had never saved.

At the start I tried for way too long to live out of the lifepod, so it was inventory management hell the entire time. I completely misinterpreted the transmission saying the Aurora's reactor was glowing to blow within whatever amount of time to mean the area with my lifepod was going to be obliterated and I should be looking at getting out and not building a base. Also, I kinda assumed I'd need dozens or hundreds of titanium etc to build a base, since a base is obviously so much more massive than the tools I'd been building so far, and never actually checked. Then I proceeded to live out a single tube section, with an empty tube section over it with a vertical connector that I couldn't put a ladder in because it would have completely obstructed the tube I lived in, and a solar panel on top of that, for most of the game.

I spent a while not really understanding how the game wanted me to progress so I probably wasted a ton of time, but I did get the Seaglide and Seamoth together soon enough. I got the waypoint with the rendezvous location at some point, so I went there and was like, yup, that sure is a location, picked up the PDA and went home without scanning or collecting anything. Then I followed another waypoint into a cave and that sent me deeper into a cave and on the way I scanned an alien structure and gasped in surprise at there being aliens in this scifi game where we crashed a ship on a strange planet. I hadn't really been reading all the text that showed up in my PDA but that made me go "I guess the aliens probably shot down our ship and they're about to shoot down the ship that's coming in to rescue us", and then a countdown showed up on my screen out of nowhere and I panicked for forty minutes and then I watched the aliens that presumably shot down our ship shoot down the ship that's coming in to rescue us. I went ahead and explored the alien gun building but that was around when my game crashed so I guess in the new continuity from my last save I never actually did that so I don't know what's in there at all. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to find another alien facility that can cure me so that the alien button will let me turn off the alien gun, but, like, it seems at this point that's not time-critical so I haven't really been enthusiastic about that. I did find something that looks like an alien stargate but I didn't want to put in the one single ion cube or w/e that I've seen so far.

Later, in a fit of "might as well" I drove over to the Aurora, which I had previously assumed to be in the game's skybox and not the actual world, until someone from back home said to go to the captain's quarter in there (which I think also happened right before my game crashed, and I haven't gotten the message again, so I think I am missing some progression right now?). I rushed past a bunch of tiny creatures that probably tried to eat me and was almost deterred and somewhat peeved when my PDA said I'm gonna need a fire extinguisher, because, like, I threw that out/left it behind figuring I'm not gonna set my lifepod on fire ever again, but it turned out there were plenty available. I didn't enjoy this section at all really, I think I managed to scan 3 out of 4 PRAWN fragments and have made no progress on that since then so I probably messed up. I picked up the rocket platform blueprint and immediately decided to ignore it, so overall I don't think the visit was really worth it.

I'd been visiting all the locations from the radio transmissions, but I always felt like I probably missed something, maybe even the thing they sent me there for, so overall I am not a huge fan of this mode of guiding the player/gating progression (and I guess approaching it as a survival game I feel predisposed to assume any story is going to be completely unconnected to the actual gameplay, and probably bad). I think that was around when I really wanted to finally get the Cyclops, having been I think 1 scan short for the past two and a half paragraphs, so I figured I must have missed it somewhere, so I revisited a ton of places and maybe found some things I had missed (I probably made the grav gun around here). At some point I got annoyed and decided to just set off in some random direction where the ocean is a bit deeper and then I immediately found the thing.

I mentioned something like "if I had infinite food I could just live on the Cyclops forever" to a friend and they pointed out that both of the islands I'd been on had a ton of edible things on them I could just plant in my base and in the Cyclops and I didn't actually have to live exclusively off the fish I could catch with my bare hands in front of the starting location forever, so that's been nice to go back and fix. I'm trying to come up with cute ways to never run out of energy on the Cyclops either but it doesn't look like there's anything that's ultimately less of a hassle than building/carrying around as many extra power cells as needed. I toyed with the idea of setting up something like charging stations where I'd just set down a room with a bio reactor and a flower bed in the middle of nowhere, but I can't imagine that's actually worth it except for roleplaying reasons or something. I was a bit disappointed that I can't build all of the stuff I can put in a real base in the Cyclops, though.

Up to this point I'd never actually seen a reaper, or really worried about the wildlife at all, outside of ramming some annoying purple thing with my Seamoth so it'd go away once or twice, and maybe keeping my distance from some particularly threatening looking eels around one of the wrecks. I totally didn't feel the sense of dread or danger that people seemed to be talking about, instead I felt like I had plot armor in that if I just do what the game is pointing me towards. So far that's technically holding up, but I read someone talk about the far side of the Aurora being interesting, and when I took my shiny new Cyclops there to investigate I finally had the proper respect for the native animals bitten into me. I have since figured out that just turning off the lights/engines tends to make the reapers leave me alone after a bit, but there was some frantic live combat repair/retreat action happening for a while. Since then I've ran into one or two more but I haven't really figured out what to do about that beyond resigning myself to not go to that area. (I did manage to scan one of them and I'm kinda proud of that, but I'm not sure it's worth the 4-6 first aid kits I went through for that.) Also I was surprised to find a reaper when I was just heading straight west from my lifepod until the water gets really deep, because surely I passed close to that area a dozen times already? Now I just assume they're lurking everywhere, just out of sight.

I've been meaning to build the water filtration thing for a long, long time, but I'd never figured out how to build the fancy ingredient for it. I'm pretty sure it's been in the fabricator the entire time but somehow every time I looked for it, I missed it. Eventually I found it and I had all the bits I needed and now I'm drinking cleaner water than ever. Seems like the free bottled water and the salt that can cure fish are the road trip complement to the plentiful but very perishable fruit, so that's nice.

Right now there's a few things like the PRAWN suit that I've come across but don't know how to work towards, and some things I've heard about like better batteries that I have no idea about at all, but my main frustration is that I'm always short on some material, and half the time it's something stupid like titanium or copper. I keep trying to approach this like idk minecraft where I can set off in some direction with some bare necessities and then basically live off the land, gathering all the stuff I need right where I need it. Seems a lot harder in this game, though, also with resources taking up relatively so much more storage space than I'm used from other games. I'll be like "I have two whole shelves of this stuff!" and then five minutes later I'm completely out. And I bring home so much less stuff from each trip.

I'm particularly having trouble remembering where to get which resource, partly because most of my prior exploration trips are all very much blending together in my memory possibly because of lack of sleep, and partly because I am just utterly unable to remember specific places at all. I keep hearing people talk about the mushroom forest or the great reef or whatever and other people knowing exactly what they mean, but in my mind pretty much everything just registered as "that one dark underwater area with the cave/abyss/lifepod", which hasn't been super useful. I miss some sort of in-game map. I've seen people recommend heavy use of beacons and I've tried to place a bunch, but my sense of direction is still not improving a lot and of course half the time when I want to place a beacon I'm somehow out of either copper or titanium. Ultimately it makes me feel very helpless when I know I want to build this particular thing but I have no idea how to work towards that, and I wish I'd taken notes or something earlier in the game.

The whole game feels a lot how I always wanted to play Space Engineers, down to a surprising amount of details, just a lot more focused and hence more polished. Seems like a good deal overall, but I keep missing conveniences like easily moving stuff between containers/between ships and my base, being able to charge the ship's batteries from the base, and autopilot or at least the ability to point the ship in a direction and go off to do something else. Also I'm constantly a lot more worried about running out of conveniently located resources for good. It's very different from the game that I expected from hearing people talk about it over the years but that I stayed away from because I hated the idea of dark caves. I assumed it was gonna be much more focused on survival horror kinda stuff and less sandboxy, whoops.

How do people feel about replayability? I'm kind of tempted to start over at some point knowing a bit more about how to get things done without as much pain, but at the same time I am really afraid of forgetting I haven't done some specific thing to unlock some sort of progression in that new playthrough, and just getting more stuck and frustrated. I guess I'll try to compromise by making my friend play and letting me watch.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

drat, I figured I must have missed one. Ugh I hate that place.

I did do the fixing the core thing, but I figured it didn't buy me a lot? I guess it means I get to keep the rebreather on all the time?

I actually just built the scanner room upgrades/hud chip, I thought it was gonna show the ugly map from the room in my hud so I was putting it off, this is a lot more useful. Also I didn't look close enough to realize I can scan for fragments and databoxes. So the idea is I set up a base with a scanner room in all the cool places to make sure I find everything? Can I power a base with power cells or anything like that?

I was pretty sure I had followed all the beacons I got, but I just remembered Lifepod 7 didn't get a beacon, just a bunch of hints, so I'll be checking that out.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Okay, Lifepod 7 looks like a complete miss, but at least I got lost a little and picked up more rubies and a gel gel sack which I'm definitely gonna need more of. I only just realized the latter is a plant so I can just grow more of them, whoops.

The one thing I'm specifically putting off is investigating the alien stuff more and like putting a thing into the uh portal-looking thing, apart from that I'm just procrastinating on exploring deeper. The last time I took the Cyclops down a couple hundred meters I immediately got scared off and then ran out of building materials for my tiny one room base a couple hundred meters off Lifepod 2 at like 500m depth, so I just want to have, like, more reserves before I try that again. And maybe torpedoes. I guess I could also go back to the Degasi habitat at 500m but that seemed pretty self-contained.

But either way, now I'm distracted gathering the stuff for the PRAWN suit and then possibly playing around with it for who knows how long.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Yeah, and apparently the brand new PRAWN can too.

I just spent five minutes trying to get it into the Cyclops because I didn't realize I had already parked the Seamoth in the Cyclops...

Edit: Okay I went past the habitat, saw some cool poo poo, grabbed some new ore, got lost on the way out, and scanned a nuclear reactor. :toot:

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 1, 2023

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

F12 is just the Steam screenshot button, right? I guess I should just add Subnautica as a Steam game... but yeah, I guess because you can put the screenshots into in-game picture frames, they're in a folder under the individual save. Makes sense to me in a different game, but in one without autosaves it seems inconsiderate.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Mad enough to double post because a bunch of stuff just disappeared from inside my Cyclops? I'm missing my fabricator, med kit fabricator, and three wall lockers that had stuff in them. I've been inside or maybe around it the entire time. I saved before realizing stuff was gone. I'm not even sure what I had in those lockers but I'm sure I'm going to be really upset about it as soon as I remember/realize.

Edit: Oh my god repulsion cannon shots from outside go through the hull and also yeet constructed stuff through the hull into the outside. That's... I'd never have suspected that. What.

Edit 2: Okay I found the lockers. Somehow.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 2, 2023

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

idk how I was supposed to know that "Ecological Dead Zone" translates into glowy sea monster jumpscare. If anything it sounds like there shouldn't be any sea monsters there on account of them being dead. :colbert:

I went back to the big alien cannon building because my friend found more ion cubes there than me because I only explored through the watery exit and didn't turn off the force fields, and figured while I was there I could check out the nearby depths. Maybe I'll explore elsewhere for now!

On the plus side I now finally have some lockers full of most basic materials. Titanium still seems scarcest somehow but maybe that's because I build too many flower beds and stuff like that. I brought a bunch of glowy creepvine because I wanted illumination for my deep-enough-to-be-dark-but-not-deep-enough-to-impress-anyone-itc base without it draining the power...

Earlier I did check out the further depths around the 500m Degasi habitat and I found a glowy green cavern with a few big skulls and things of that nature. I brought home enough nickel ore to upgrade the crush limit for the PRAWN and the Cyclops, but it's still entirely in Seamoth range so that's not immediately buying anything. I only did a brief Seamoth excursion so my range was limited by inventory space, maybe I'll find more cool stuff there if I set up a camp for real.

My Cyclops locker mishap happened around Lifepod 2 and kinda put me off exploring more there for a bit, but I should probably just go there again.
Edit: yeah it's gonna be so cozy

Edit: Okay I'm a ton further now
My hands suddenly got green and now they aren't green anymore and uh are the oxygen/food/water gauges going to keep not going down? That's a bit out of nowhere, I ran into the big green building with an inventory full of food/water because I figured it was gonna take a while, but welp.

So, after setting up the above camp and recharging the Cyclops, I turned one more corner and found a hosed-up looking alien building which I guess is the Disease Research Facility I learned about in the big gun building. I think the whole point of that was finding the blue key card? I don't super remember.

I continued onwards not exactly expacting the tunnel to lead directly into the big volcano thing. I was nervous the entire time down there because it's at like ~1100m depth and I was afraid I was gonna have to go below the 1300 that my Cyclops/PRAWN were rated for, and also because it was so hot that the game didn't even let me exit the Cyclops anymore, so I probably couldn't even repair the Cyclops if it got hit by something? Deploying the PRAWN to get out seemed like a really bad idea since it looked like it'd be a huge drop. I think I got very lost here and flew around the volcano in a circle at least two or three times, based on how long it took me. I couldn't really see poo poo and I didn't want to go any lower and also I guess there was a big octopus dragon kinda guy spitting fire anywhere that at least never actually hit me. I think eventually I saw a bit of green glow and figured that was probably what I was here for, even if it meant diving a bit lowr. At first I thought I could drive the Cyclops through that green glowy tunnel, but it didn't really fit so I finally disembarked with the PRAWN and Spider-Man'd my way to another alien building, I guess the Thermal Power Facility (wait maybe I got the blue key card here?). It was roughly at this point that I got really mad at the warpers warping me out of the PRAWN since it was way too hot for that.

I realized only after I got done with the fire temple that my Cyclops had had weird leeches on it the entire time, and because I hadn't been exactly in a hurry that brought me down to like 47% power. I couldn't really get them to stop attaching themselves to the hull even after stabbing them a whole bunch while getting slightly toasty, so I resigned myself to losing all power pretty soon. While drilling a bunch of weird blue crystals I debated setting up another base with thermal power here to recharge, but that seemed really silly so I didn't and blindly moved on. I figured I could probably upgrade my crush depth upgrades in place really quick, ignoring the Cyclops being temporarily way out of its depth.

Unfortunately I pretty much just got lost again. My Cyclops' power was ticking in the single digits when I gave up and just made a bunch of spare (ion!) batteries hoping I'd be able to make some progress, figure out how to deal with the situation, and then get back to and revive the Cyclops. (In retrospect I should just have made a million power cells and carried on.) Seemed to take way too long but I eventually made it to the presumed final boss dungeon. I noted with some relief that one of the portals took me fairly close to the starting area so being sorta cut off from the Cyclops didn't mean I was completely helpless. I then noted with some horror that I didn't have a second blue key card, so I would in fact have to go home to my pitiful first base, and make one. For some reason I took the PRAWN home instead of just seagliding, but while I was there I also finally made the PRAWN thermal reactor, which actually was a whole thing in itself because my base had zero silver in stock at this point. Anyway. It took me a bit to catch on with the big dragon fish that had been talking in my mind, but eventually I scanned the right thing and stuff happened, and then it took me a bit to cactch on to how each of the portals there would take me to where I need to harvest exactly one thing for the weird thing. And I had to go to my home base again to actually craft it. Eventually I also figured out that I had to follow the fish through the portal so I'd actually get cured.

The way back up through the volcano and briefly-blue-but-then-green-again caves was a lot quicker so I figure I must really have gotten lost on the way down, oh well. I'm also pretty sure there's a thermal reactor for the Cyclops itself, which could probably have saved me sooo much trouble, but alas I don't know how to make it. I'm still missing some other blueprints so I guess I have to go search for more excitingly placed wrecks. I also seem to still have an orange key card, and I guess I kind of lost track of what alien facilities I've visited and for all I know there's a bunch more of them out there too.

Okay that's as far as I got. I suspect I'm gonna end up in the depths again to mine more cool resources eventually and I'm definitely tempted to go build a secret volcano base but for now I'm happy to see sunlight again. I still don't know if the Degasi factor into these events at all so I should probably read they databank entries too.

I'm wondering how much of an endeavour it is to disable the enforcement platform before the Sunbeam arrives. Maybe the latter gets triggered by something you can just avoid doing while still walking a PRAWN into the bowels of hell? Or maybe it's a ridiculous speedrun. I'm not sure how much stuff is left in the game to get spoiled on but I'm still trying to avoid looking things up.

Edit 2:

7c Nickel posted:

That's why it's worthwhile to scan and read the entries on everything new you come across. One neat trick is to pull all your powercells for a minute and then put them back in. With no power to suck, they detach and swim away.

I'm a loving idiot.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 3, 2023

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

General Battuta posted:

I checked with the QA people and that bug has never been reported before! You're a pioneer

Heh, I only figured it out because of this reddit comment. It didn't occur to me to press the Give Feedback button again with more details, and I guess it never occured to that redditor either.

Also I use up oxygen/food/water again, I figured maybe it was locked for not starving during critical plot moments reasons, but the effect lasted way longer than necessary for that? It went away eventually and I'm not entirely sure when, but could just be when I closed the game and started it up again.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 2, 2023

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Hate to double post but I'm still having a very Subnautica time.

Also after my endgamey looking deep underground adventure detailed above, I went back there today now that I finally have the Cyclops Thermal Plant that seem to make existing there somewhat sustainable apart from the giant angry fish, and spent about an hour just driving around trying to get some grasp on the layout of the space, since I really hated being so lost. Then, when I finally thought I had it all figured out, I went back upstairs through the now very family cave network, and, uh, somehow ended up in a completely different biome that made my computer say this:

I thought it was probably a bit overblown, then on ascent my Cyclops went from perfectly healthy to on fire and leaking and explosively decompressing within like five seconds while I was trying to repair it, apparently from scraping against an overhang. That was literally the first time I've had it take any damage from bumping against things, and I thought I was being careful too! That (like the times when I came back to the Cyclops to find most of my lockers missing) made me feel sufficiently bitter that I just reloaded rather than trying to recover from the situation. It didn't look like I could actually access any of the stuff inside the Cyclops wreck so I guess the prospect of having to assemble my huge hoard of riches all over again filled me with more terror than I was prepared to handle at the time.

Then on the way home I took another look at a wreck that I'd already exlored long ago and found the blueprint for the reinforced dive suit which, uh, also would have come in handy yesterday. With that I think I now have access to all tech I'm aware of except for the stillsuit I heard people talk about, but of course there could be more stuff out there.

Some more Cyclops headaches:
- I built the fire suppression upgrade and it kept activating when I use the lockers I placed in front of where I read the button for the fire suppression is supposed to be.
- Driving it around the shallows near my home base, but like distinctly with plenty of clearance etc, it somehow kept taking near-critical damage every couple of meters? I had to get out and repair it like five times just driving it to the other side of my base. After later taking the screenshot at the start of the post, I now wonder if it was colliding with something inside itself.
Still love my giant u-boot u-haul though.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Okay, large fauna identification question,

That's a Sea Emperor Leviathan hanging out with the Reaper Leviathan, right? Is that one of the juveniles we hatch in the Primary Containment Facility or has it been there all along? It looks a lot bigger than those.

I tried to get closer to scan it but either I didn't get close enough before getting chased off or it's not scannable.

Edit: He came closer to my boat to say hi :kimchi:

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 4, 2023

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

MikeJF posted:

It's one of the babies, yeah, all five of them can be found around the map. I don't think there's behaviour to have them hang out with reapers, I think they just happen to be next to each other. They grow bigger and become quite large once they're out in the wild. Hi, friend!

Huh, I found another one (the prev one was far north, this one is far west, near-ish a crater with 4 ion cubes in it) and it's also hanging out with a reaper.

Edit: At least I think I saw one, I was in a bit of a hurry on account of the aforementioned reaper. I thought I saw a big thing with wriggly bits but maybe it was something else.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 4, 2023

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Okay I had the genius idea of going, say, 1500m exactly north of my home base, dropping a beacon, 1500m exactly west of my home base, dropping a beacon, etc, and then doing uhh GPS-style trilateration math to get exact-ish coordinates for my current position at all times just by looking at those distances. This sure won't get me eaten by a Ghost Leviathan and is worth the effort.

I spent like an hour or two yesterday just puttering around the entire world trying to fix my mental map and wow I am bad at this. For some reason probably relating to not having a compass at the start of the game, I had it fixed in my mind that the stuff to the south of the start area is actually east, when it totally isn't. Basically nothing I know of is east. Whenever I go east past the Aurora and its attendant Reaper Leviathans, there seems to be basically nothing there until I get bored. I did find a few new things that way but nothing too exciting. Maybe all the good stuff really is clustered around the locations the radio messages guide you to? But there are still at least two or three things I'm looking for...

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

how do i swivel the swivel chair

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I started playing Below Zero and I did a really bad job of it.

I noticed they don't give you the habitat builder right away, so I figured they wanted me to follow the story for a bit before I decide where to settle down, so I didn't think much of it. I checked out the Delta base and ran into mecha Margeruit and got some alien distress signals and explored a chunk of the Phi base on this side of the bridge and I think I looted a big wreck and I started to get a bit suspicious about still not having a base. I'd even checked some of the cooler caves I'd found and like the first bit of the underground thing under Delta island and I tried pretty hard to get to the "last known position" signal with a chain of air pipes. I must have been up to like a dozen floating lockers. Eventually I got the sea truck with a storage module so I tried to go a bit deeper into like the cave system that's like halfways between the lifepod and the phi waypoint, and spend a good chunk of time exploring those caves with the monkey nests in them where they're hoarding a million laser cutters for some reason, figuring one of those might spawn as a habitat builder instead or something. My friend, who I am steam-borrowing the game from, was getting increasingly impatient with my refusal of any spoilers.

Then I went back to Delta base just in case I missed some corner of the island and yeah it's actually just sitting there on a box in the base.

Later I died of hypothermia a whole bunch in the area past the bridge by Phi base (and I'm still lost and haven't found any further breadcrumps there) and felt extremely silly when I realized the hoverbike just gives you heat for free, and can be recharged for free. I guess I just kinda assumed it would be for traversing like a big open space. It was also only afterwards that I went back and found the stuff to make the cold suit and I haven't tried it out yet..

I hate the wrecks a lot more than those from regular Subnautica and above ground I still get lost a whole lot and never have confidence I explored all the nooks and crannies of any area, but driving my truck around and collecting random poo poo is entertaining enough so far. I like that it's letting me haul stuff around fairly easily but doesn't feel like it makes my entire base obsolete, seems like a better game design thing than the Cyclops especially for the smaller scope(?) of this game.

Meanwhile I saw that Subnautica apparently has wall planters so now I'm gonna have to revisit every place I could have missed scanning them so I can get a little more hypothetical space efficiency out of the Cyclops, after spending an afternoon being disappointed by how bland the edges/outer areas of the map are in most places. It's just so dark out there and when you go through the trouble of bringing light and looking through it anyway, you still don't see anything interesting, so I have to turn to interior decorating.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

(hooray I finally found the wall planter)

Roughly how much time into Below Zero should I have found the high capacity oxygen tank? I'm still on the basic tank and I have fully upgraded depth modules for my vehicles so it's starting to feel a bit weird.

I noticed last night after finally building a scanner room that I missed a blatantly obvious data box in a place I'd already searched, and it had another thing near it that I found elsewhere but had searched for specifically in that place as well, so I'm coming to realize I just really suck at discovering things.

Also, is there a non violent solution to the sea monkeys being annoying?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Okay thanks for the hints! I'm not clicking the spoilers for now. I do have the rebreather so I guess I extra hosed up somewhere. Time for more backtracking!

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Heh, yeah, if I'm missing basic loving recipes, I should probably build my scanner room in the starting region and not in the middle of nowhere where the scenery was nicer, huh.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

lmao and there's a habitat builder there too. and windows. i have been wondering about that.

thanks y'all i can breathe easy now

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

OgNar posted:

Yes there is and you should have already discovered this by now since you already seem to have found the bridge.
I would say more but dont want to spoil.
Screw it

Investigate the trench and its beeping just outside your lifepod.

After that they stop bothering you and if you have a recipe pinned they will bring you those minerals for free.

drat, I got spoiled on this elsewhere and it doesn't make a lot of intuitive sense to me and I would never have realized this is what does it because I've just been avoiding them/not getting out of the Seatruck since before I got to that point. But I also explored most of the map before I got to that point.

I definitely should have picked up my alien buddy a bit earlier, because I already visited like five alien artifacts before then and I guess I gotta go there again now.

Also, I just turned on the "highlight interactable objects" thing and found the seatruck zapper. No way I'd have found that otherwise.

I got the ultra high capacity o2 tank, the two seatruck upgrades and another prawn upgrade, so I'm closing in on having all the good stuff, but I'm still missing things like the alien containment units.

I totally ignored the omega symbol on the map for the longest time because the first few trips to that area, I didn't find anything, and eventually figured maybe that's Margeruit's base, maybe she took over omega base? But I found it now. I still don't know how to get to the base with the struck-through o on the map, I suspect I'm supposed to get there from the awful past-the-bridge area? I tried going back to where you first spawn and building a vertical base to get up on the ledge and just walk there, but there's invisible walls, welp.

PRAWN movement feels so much worse in this game, with energy draining when pressing directions and grappling, but you can still do some ridiculous jumps and above-water vertical movement up cliffs sometimes, it's great and I regret not getting it earlier and instead trying to use the snowfox.

The plot makes less and less sense to me. I guess I found an antidote and cured the dead leviathan and it's unclear whether this achieved anything tangible in the story but it doesn't seem to unlock anything else in the game? And now I'm loving around to get my alien buddy a new body? Feels like selfishly the plot would have been off just as well if I'd just ignored the alien signals the entire time? I did get to the presumed deepest point and got a "you don't have the plot coupons, come back later" message and was a bit disappointed but I guess that's fair.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Playing on Steamdeck in preparation for an 11 hour flight is making me empathize with people who hate the PRAWN because I can't aim this grappling arm worth poo poo without a mouse.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I found the alien containment unit and true to form it was in a place I'd already thoroughly checked. I think I'd have missed it again if not for highlighting interactables. :smith:

Still haven't found spiral plant parts but so far I don't end any because I found enough prefabricated synthetic fibers.

I'm playing on Steamdeck now and I think my steam side input settings must be hosed somehow. I can't use grapple and drill at the same time in the PRAWN, drilling cancels the grapple, and also I can't rename beacons because pressing any key on the on-screen keyboard removes the input focus from the text field, so any further key presses don't do anything. Still playable but a bit awkward.

My current goal (before continuing with the plot) is to find some sea monkey eggs to repopulate them after I accidentally ran over so many, let's see how that goes.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 13, 2023

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

They're easy to miss, because they're inside a thing you've probably seen but did not consider that you should go poke around inside. Also the nature of where they are might make the highlighting interactables not work unless you're inside the thing, even if you could see them.

I'm trying to be vague without spoiling, but those things were impossible for me to find until I looked it up.

That was enough to find it, thanks! :sun: That's definitely a cool place and I coulda gotten there way earlier but I would never have thought to check. It doesn't even look spirally!

Lynx posted:

I know I'm super late to the party here, but I just finished SN for the first time. Quick question about the endgame.

After meeting the Emperor and curing the disease, every aggressive fauna ignored me. Not just in the Emperor's aquarium, but everywhere. Is that supposed to happen? Nothing went after me from that point forward, other than a reaper who attacked my unattended Seamoth. From what I could find online, it sounds like only Warpers leave you alone after the cure, not everything.

Also, my food and water levels seemed be stuck maxed out after the cure. Not really sure if that was supposed to happen either.

I had the same thing and it went away after a while or maybe when I saved/exited/reloaded. Then it happened again when I revisited the last area. I googled around a bit and it sounds like a bunch of people think it's a bug connected to taking the PRAWN through the portals but it doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

It would be cool if there was more indigenous fauna where the optimal move was not "just stay really far away lol".

Let me tame the giant asteroid worm by feeding it cyclopses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

Yeah the game has a bit of a weird thing where to make your base look nice with lots of glass you have to make part of it look like poo poo with reinforcements and foundations.

I try to cover my foundations with grow beds to make them look purposeful and pretty and then hide 3-4 reinforcements in weird corners where the view wouldn’t be nice. But one large room glass roof will really gently caress your hull integrity

If integrity works like power, something really stupid you could do is have a basically disconnected chunk of your base far, far away in a corner somewhere and just smother that in reinforcements. As long as it was on the same snappy grid when it was placed, it's the same base, even if no directly connecting components exist or ever existed. In Below Zero I have a base inside a vent garden at however many hundreds of m depth that gets solar power because I extended the base grid with temporary tubes all the way to the top in many steps and have a single tube with like five solar panels at the surface, I imagine I could do that with structural integrity as well.

I can't imagine it being practical but it's stupid enough that I felt compelled to suggest it.