Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Kicked her in the no-no-touch-swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
At least Sleepy Hollow had the Headless Horseman running around with machineguns and swords tearing poo poo up to keep it entertaining.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

GuyUpNorth posted:

Just what exactly is it going to take, Mr. Lux flexing his status as Lightbringer and vaporizing something?

To be fair, that would be pretty neat to see on TV.

EDIT: Getting tired of Amenadiel's poo poo and burning his wings off would be a nice finale moment.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gonz posted:

My angel knowledge is a bit rusty. Isn't a nephilim the offspring or a demon father and a human mother, or can either parent be a human?

In comic books, Nephilim are basically the kids of any angel and any human, though they tend to be fallen angels that were the fathers because of the whole disobeying God thing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm catching up on episodes and lost it at the "Act like a child, get treated like a child"/"Isn't it illegal to lock a child in a car?" exchange.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Eddain posted:

She's gonna use that lone feather to restore his divinity as he lies dying I bet.

Dumbo's Magic Feather!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Nice trolling attempt, but calling Neil Gaiman second-rate given the awards he's been given for his work throughout his career is where it falls apart.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Snak posted:

I wasn't really hoping, but when I was trying to guess who it was Luci was freaked out about, Hitler did cross my mind.

I know that Mazikeen is a demon, but this show hasn't really defined demons or their origins. Fallen angels are often the same thing as demons, and Lucifer being able to create powerful beings such as demons seems pretty far outside of his power scope. I guess it could have been an administrative privilege of being Lord of Hell...

I'm not complaining. So far they have done a great job of setting up these figures without nerding out, contradicting themselves, or crossing any controversial lines.

The finale was really good, and I'm excited to see where they go with it next. Also, no case of the week. Instead it was continuation of what was set up in last episodes case, which was actually not a case of the week and was part of the season arc. Whether or not this marks a move towards a little more serialization or not, it's a great way to end a season.

Nah, if the actual real world mythology is anything to go by then the "Mum" will be Asherah.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Snak posted:

Oh good call. Referred to in The Book of Jeremiah as "The Queen of Heaven".

Also probably the one Jesus got the whole "Walking on water" thing from, because she was a water/sea/fertility goddess (in addition to the bits that are attributed to a generic "Mother Nature").

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm still catching up, but holy LOL "Girl's Night Out" was hilarious.

EDIT:

"I don't look like a cop!"

"Cop."

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 2, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

VendaGoat posted:

Wait! WHOA! Hold up a second.

You're saying that a book and a movie or show isn't going to be the same?

SHOCKED! I'M SHOCKED AND APPALLED! I have half a mind to write a sternly worded letter to my congressman!

Comic Lucifer is pretty much nothing like TV Lucifer.

Also there is a whole new series out that undoes the ending of the original series.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Snak posted:

I don't understand how Jesus had any descendants in Dogma. Do Catholics believe he had kids?

Not really, but there are some official/unofficial things about him having a relationship with Mary Magdelene.

Doesn't mean much, because he also was a bit homosexual with one of his disciples in the Bible.

The Gospel of John, chapter 13:23 & 25 posted:

Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved...

He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Snak posted:

No, I get that, but Dogma is about how if Catholic Dogma was right about everything it'd be dumb and there'd be a big contradiction and God would have made a mistake and creation would be undone. So like, if Catholics don't believe Jesus had any kids, why is a descendant of a Jesus part of the premise of Dogma?

Typical mixing up of terms probably. There are some catholic traditions regarding the people descended from Jesus's extended family/siblings, but not anything official about Jesus himself having any kids or spouses.

Also, keep in mind that Kevin Smith is a hack film writer.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Can you guys explain what a scion is and why Chloe may be one for those of us that don't read any of the comics or the Bible?

It literally just means "heir". So Solomon was David's scion, etc.

Why a particular line of cars made by Toyota use the term is a mystery.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Aleph Null posted:

Hallelujah!

I think you mean "Hail Satan!". :flashfact:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Unscrupulous? What would Lucifer think?

He would want everyone to know about them because gently caress authority figures, that's why.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Knowing Lucifer, he'd gladly give you all of it and start laughing on his way out.

How fun would it be if that was exactly his plan in the show?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dongattack posted:

How come they don't say Satan on the show? Is that a bad word?

Because Lucifer and Satan are two separate beings. :ssh:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tiggum posted:

Is that a thing from the comic?

Nope. It's an actual thing in the Christian mythology that fundamentalists and people that don't study the Bible too closely like to ignore because it's too much :effort: to keep track of who is who.

Satan is basically God's District Prosecuting Attorney, going about looking for reasons why everyone deserves to go to Hell.

Lucifer is one of the beings that rebelled against the order of things and was cast down to Hell.

This is why when you get to the book of Job you are suddenly reading about Satan being allowed to just wander around in Heaven and talk poo poo at God about Job. It's a pretty big biblical clue that they are not the same being (in spite of a bunch of traditions saying they are).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

grack posted:

This was a major plot point to the comics but it certainly wasn't the ending. In the comics Lucifer finds a successor to God, has a heart-to-heart with dear old Dad (which goes about as well as you'd expect), and then leaves behind all of Creation to fly in to the infinity of nothingness for all time.

Yeah, right up until they started continuing the series again last year, brought Lucifer back for shenanigans in a sub-par continuation of that comic.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

muscles like this! posted:

They've also announced Tom Welling joining the cast as Decker's new boss/love interest.

Welp, I just lost all interest in the show.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

grack posted:

I'm surprised Dan is still alive given that, you know, he banged Lucifer's mom a couple of times.

Nah, that was some other woman whose body Lucifer's mom was using.

Basically, Dan raped her and the show is just going to ignore that tidbit.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

FRINGE posted:

Dan accepted a proposition from an interested woman.

"Goddess" used her for sex. Literally.

Just because "Goddess" was involved doesn't mean the original woman wasn't raped.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Aleph Null posted:

she will definitely consider it rape

This is the only aspect of the in-show elements at play that really matter. It won't magically stop being rape just because someone else made the decision for her while she was nearly-dead.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tide posted:

Whats wrong with Tom Welling? Isn't the guy from Smallville?

He's an incorrigible dick and refused to wear the Superman suit/threatened to quit over it when the show runners wanted to have him wear it when the story got that far.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

-Blackadder- posted:

Perhaps I should have used BTK instead. I guess I was just saying that the Devil is technically a vicious torturing rapist and any attempt to whitewash his actions to make his character more sympathetic and palatable is objectively laughable. There's a standard narative for this; that he's somehow misunderstood, reluctant, heavy-hearted, and not really responsible for his actions or the actions of those under his command.

Next up, "Lovable rascal and misunderstood Nazi War Crimminal solves crimes with cop side-kick, Fridays on USA."

The version of The Devil you are talking about here doesn't even exist in the scriptures used by rural American death cults.

In the bible, the Devil is basically The Biggest rear end in a top hat Prosecuting Attorney in Divine Court looking for reasons you should go to Hell. Lucifer is a separate entity altogether.

Also, Hell is just a desert with extreme heat and fire and undying maggots eating your flesh. No custom torments. That idea was Milton's.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

wormil posted:

They play with her make up all the time. For a long time her eyes were darkened to look deeper.

I thought they were darkened to make it look like she wasn't getting enough sleep with all the weird poo poo going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SiKboy posted:

The first season of Sleepy Hollow was So drat Good. I have literally never seen such a rapid drop-off in quality as that show moving into season 2.

Everyone being a spouse, child, or best friend of the protagonist sure did gently caress things up in a hurry.

• Locked thread