Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
As pilots go, this wasn't too shabby. The characters were introduced in about as conspicuous a way as you'd expect for the 1st episode of an ensamble show, but that is hard to avoid, especially on TV.

One thing they will have to handle carefully is the eponymous character. When writers grab a character whose basic function everybody in the audience already kind-of knows (i.e., the Devil is a really bad guy), you can only stray so far from that generally accepted premise before your audience can no longer suspend their disbelief.

The devil doing good stuff is going to be hard to buy unless you explain why he's bothering to do that good stuff. Maybe it's part of a long-term evil plan (longer term than simple revenge against some dude), or maybe time away from Hell is changing him. If the devil is changing into a nicer guy, you have to deal with that change believably. And suggesting that redemption is possible for the devil is going to be a hard sell, even for non-religious folks who don't take ol' Scratch too seriously.

The show was better than I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Lucifer in the comic isn't really a bad guy though

Oh. I've never actually heard of the comic. At least this makes the fact that they're not making him super-bad make a little more sense.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
A forensic scientist who's 1) super-cute, 2) a real Christian, 3) not interested in proving the existence of God on principal alone because it would somehow negate faith, and 4) probably doomed. I get the feeling we're supposed to care for her, or at least that some of the characters on the show are supposed to care for her. And, once we care enough, they'll kill her for dramatic effect, and Lucifer will get another chance for a heel-face turn.

I mean, they're introducing a character we didn't need last season, and she's conveniently a believer who is quirky almost to the point of being unbelievable. I know a lot of believers, from casual folks who are Christians in name only to Superchristians who bring up the Lord in every conversation you have with them. None of them spare sympathy for the devil, because duh. I get that we're supposed to say, "Oh, how unexpectedly insightful and unique! She's registering 78.9 Zooeydeschanels on my Quirky-o-meter!!", but her attitude here is way too convenient to the setup of the show. And even on principal, when asked a hypothetical question about what she'd do if she could prove God exists, she's like, "what's the point? Then, we wouldn't need faith." I'm fairly confident that no real-world Christian would immediately come to that conclusion.

I hope her character arc is more complex than I'm thinking it will be. If handled carefully, her character could be a good addition to the cast.

I'm also not a fan of the ex-husband getting no punishment.

Overall, though, I'm glad to see the show is back. Looks like a fun season.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Remember, she doesn't know that it's not a purely hypothetical question.

I know. That's why I said she was asked a hypothetical question--from her (the CSI: Satan lady) perspective, it was a purely hypothetical question. She has no reason to believe it's anything but hypothetical.

What I want to know is, why can't they just miracle-zap that blood so it looks like ordinary human blood? You telling me that Gosh can't just wink His eye and twiddle his nose or something, and that blood comes up all normal on the tests?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Which means that the way she answered it made sense. Have you really never heard any of "the point of faith is faith" style rhetoric?

Of course I have. But the answer to a direct question like "what if you could prove definitively that there really is a God and a Jesus and a Devil and all that?" is almost always "yes." If you ask about faith and proof, you get the "faith is the proof of things not seen" routine. When you directly ask about whether or not you'd actually prove God's existence if you could by some tangible means--something that scientists would have to acknowledge, for example--then the answer I usually hear is yes. Hell, in my youth, I've heard more preachers and Christian debaters actually claim that they can prove, definitively, that God is real.

Of course, much of their proof relies on the Bible, stories from the Bible, or things they consider to be miracles... but they offer this as concrete proof that only a contrarian could possibly deny.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

spooky like this! posted:

My only problem with that sword is that it seemed rather unimpressive for something that can erase a goddess from existence.

You were expecting a Buster Sword?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
OK, Azrael's sword haters. I think I can come up with a re-write that would have satisfied all of you.

Uriel: I'm not taking her back to hell. I'm going to kill her with this! (Produces Azrael's sword.)
Lucifer: That's Azrael's sword!
Uriel: (looks at the sword adoringly) I love Azrael's sword. It's so bad.

and... scene.

Well? How'd I do?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Why was Maze's face only half demony?

I liked Doc's reaction to Lucifer's face. But what I really like is that they did a face that's clearly inhuman and probably very evil, but they didn't go all cornball and have him with horns, a big mustache, etc.

Now, someone, quick--do a gif of that scene but with the head of the devil from the video for "Tribute" by Tenacious D photoshopped in. Or a close-up of that scene. All serious, lights, then cut to Dave Grohl smirking and playing guitar, then cut back.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Crusty Nutsack posted:

This show is so good right now

Let's just hope he doesn't waltz into the cop shop next week and say, "Good morning, Detective, and Officer Douche. I was feeling a little punishy when I woke up, so I wrote up this list of baddies who you don't even know about but who I do because I'm a sin-eater. I'm... well, I'm the devil, after all! So here's the list, which Maze said would look so cool written on black paper for some such reason, and first up is a little naughty boy called The Recombinator. Don't know why; nobody even knows what 'recombinate' means and even if they do, I'm pretty sure this guy doesn't do it, but I thought they needed cool-ish nicknames. I've got some... let's call them operatives... in place, so let's take him down, shall we? Chloe, I hope everything is OK with your daughter; perhaps we should explore your love life and inject a little excitement with a kidnapping?"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Also I don't get why he has to be ugly. Isn't Lucifer do supposed to be beautiful.

Maybe for his divine species, he is beautiful, you racist.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Really need a gif of that demonstration.

Seconded.

OK, motion carries. How about it, Internet?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Titan posted:

Kind of odd for God to create a weapon that can erase himself from existence.

Nobody's saying that it can get rid of the big guy--just, you know, everyone else.

This whole thing is starting to remind me of the Jerito Paradox: could Jesus make a burrito so hot that he couldn't eat it?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The thing that keeps me from putting all celestial beings, or even just God and Mom, on the same level is this: God banished angels, including one of His sons. And, He banished Mom. If they were equal, I don't think He could just do that to Mom.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Something's been bothering me. It's Chloe's eye makeup. I'm sure there's a makeupy name for it, but she's got the red color fading out from her eyes and it looks like she's been crying. Like, always. Every time I see her face, if her eyes are halfway open or more, it looks like we just interrupted her during a bawling session.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

This show is just so consistently great, the cast is amazing. Could anyone have imagined it when they first announced it?

Not I. My wife wanted to watch it because of all the eye and ear candy on the screen, but I was sure it'd be just gawd-awful. I was totally wrong.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

VendaGoat posted:

God helps those who help themselves. :v:

Not actually in the Bible.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tagichatn posted:

Nice Freudian slip.

Dammit! Beat me to it.

Because, yeah, my goodness, hoe she acts.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

Wasn't that a car by Ford?

No, you're thinking about the Ford LTD. The "scion" is a real-sounding fake thing created for the movie Dogma.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

A scion is just an heir or descendant. It's not really all that made up.

In a general sense, that's true. But, being used as a title to indicate some relationship to God, as would be the context here? That pretty much came from the people who came up with Dogma. This question actually came up before, and in this thread if I recall correctly.

Bozart posted:

So maybe she is a Prius? :confused:

She's... the last Prius.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure Dogma just used it in its ordinary English sense. The protagonist was a scion of Christ, meaning that she was descended from him, and she was the last one because she was incapable of having children (until God healed her at the end). It's people who didn't know that "scion" was a word when they watched the film who put that extra meaning onto it.

No, they're clearly giving the term some serious importance, not just using it as a matter-of-face "oh hey, she happens to be the last living descendant of the Lord, neat!" When the prophets and the apostle kick Batman and Bourne off the train, they are a bit shaken by the fact that The Scion is in on the plan to stop them. Yes, the title "The Last Scion" contains pre-existing English words, but they are given extra weight for plot purposes: the last scion isn't given a title just because those words happen to fit; being the last scion is actually an important thing in the Christian mythos. Except... it isn't, not really. But in Dogma, it is--again, for plot.

The movie's main characters are angels, demons, prophets, muses, an apostle, God(dess), and the last scion. Which one of those things had nobody ever heard of within the context of being important in Christianity prior to the moving coming out? I'll bet you most believers (or at least a poo poo-ton of them) don't even believe Jesus had any direct descendants.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Depending on your religion, and yes, within the Judeo-Christian system, God may or may not have a proper name.

As Indiana Jones could tell you, it didn't begin with a J in Latin....

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

I mean, it's kind of crazy how Lucifer's next move after the face reveal fails isn't to call Linda and Amenadiel and have them confirm his story to Chloe. Right now Chloe pretty much just thinks he's created some elaborate lie to shield himself from reality or something, but if two other people including a psychiatrist sit her down and tell her "Yeah, he's Lucifer, that Lucifer, it's just that you kind of nerf his powers somehow" I think she'd have to believe them.

Uhm... what? Remember, she's firmly grounded in the same reality that you and I are. She has no reason to believe in the Devil at all, much less... well, the premise of the show.

If Amenadiel, some dude she doesn't really know, and a psychiatrist she only kind-of knows tries to tell her that Lucifer is the real devil with no proof, she's much more likely to assume it's a joke he's playing on her, or that they're just crazy, or somewhere in between. I mean, would you believe that someone you've been working with for a year is the actual Devil, just because some dude and some doctor told you so?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
OK, so am I crazy, or when Bad T. Guyington got shot in tonight's episode, did he utter "Fuckin' leg!!" under his breath?

I could not get closed captioning, because apparently they're not doing that again (they'd fixed it for a while ["they" being my cable carrier {yes, I know, cable... but dish sucks and I am not cutting the cord--if I did, where would I send my $250 every month?}, Spectrum], because of complaints, but apparently now that functionality is gone again), but I listened to is a bunch and it really sounded like an F-bomb.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

There Bias Two posted:

Lauren appears to be permanently in character.

It's the eyebrows, man. Straight-up Vulcan eyebrows. My son, who is autistic, constantly comments about them, and he didn't hear a peep about them from my wife or I. Even he knows they're... unusual, and he's a normal guy on the spectrum--he's not TV Autistic® (socially awkward, a few minor tics, and savant-level intelligence).

At least they let up on the red eyeliner crap that dominated her face last season. She constantly looked like she'd just stopped crying, or was about to start crying.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The minute he showed up on this series, I knew he was the new supervillain who everyone already knew about but who nobody had ever mentioned before.

I knew that New Chief was the Cinnamon. Or the head super bad guy of the season. I knew he was part of it, because he telegraphed it with the whole "stay away from him" nonsense.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Man... those eyes he drew on Not Cinnamon's head bandage... hilarious, especially when he picked him up by the neck all menacing-like. It had that intentionally unintentional humor thing going. I loved it. Has anyone giffed it?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I liked this episode. I mean, they finally took the time to answer the questions "What was it like when Lucifer started his most recent sabbatical on Earth?", "How did Amenadiel initially (and unsuccessfully) try to convince him to go back to Hell?", and "What was The Detective like before she was a detective?"

I mean, yes, it's true that nobody had ever or was likely ever to ask those questions. So maybe this answer wasn't necessary. Or, at least, it didn't have to take up a full episode. Or, at least at least, it could have taken up most of an episode and just used a framing device set in the present that made a trip to the past make more sense or feel necessary.

So, it was the answer to questions nobody asked or cared about. But, all in all, it wasn't a terrible episode. Just unnecessary.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

hangedman1984 posted:

Sports are dumb. :colbert:

You wouldn't say that if you saw my city name's sports team play. We've been defeating opposing teams since the year we were established!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Too bad Cain couldn't have showed up a couple of months ago when they had that knife that could kill anything.

Or even before that, when they had that one sword that could kill anything. Lucifer has been in possession of a weapon that could destroy celestial beings (and presumably humans) twice, and now that he has a really good use for such a weapon, there are none to be found.

It's like that set of extra keys you keep in the junk drawer in case you ever lose your main set of keys and you don't have time to pull apart your furniture to look in places where they could not possibly be. You've run across that set of extra keys 300 times in that junk drawer in the last year. No matter what you need from that drawer, you have to move them out of the way. And now you're going to be late for work because, surprise surprise, you can't find them.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

Tonight I learned that the devil is really, really good at close quarters combat.

... as long as The Detective isn't in the vicinity.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

"Everybody has a Kryptonite Lieutenant"

I guess they had to go there eventually.

I liked the exchange they had after Cain survived being stabbed with the Morgul Hell-forged demon blade.

L: So if I cut you in half, would there be two of you?
C: No, only one half would heal. I call it the Master Molecule Theory--
L: "Wolverine" rules, I know!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Well, I mean, if you really want to get bibley about it, the story of Cain and Abel really doesn't picture Cain as *that* bad a guy. God liked that Abel gave him a blood sacrifice and all Cain gave him was produce. :D

Once again, we see more irrefutable proof that veganism, and by extension vegans, are just the worst.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

hangedman1984 posted:

something that I read is some work of fiction I don't even remember anymore was that at this time no human had died before, and so Cain decided since God didn't like veggies than Cain sacrificed what he cared most for...his brother, not really understanding what that would mean.

"... so you see, Lord, that is why I sacrificed my dear brother! Art thou buying thiseth, oh holy one?"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

Not so much a cliffhanger as a 'next season's adventure hook'. They got their happily ever after. (literally; they sang about it). Also the complete soundtrack is on apple music now. I don't think there's ever been a tv show cancellation that's ever upset me more than galavant. That show was too perfect for this world.

Sadly, this is true.

And if nothing else, the leitmotif of the main theme song gave me lots of material to use during that season of Got Ham? when the primary antagonist was a dude named Galavan. All I had to do was figure out a way to rhyme the events of the odd episode here or there that could be sung to that earworm, and all was right with the world.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

Coked-out Lucifer rehashing plotlines from Bones was terrific.

Did anyone check to see if that one guy Luci assailed was actually a guest star on an episode of Bones?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Given the mishandling of this season, I can see why, but season 4 could have really turned things around.

Could it have?

Did Moonlighting get better after David and Madelyn finally broke the sexual tension and did what we all were wondering if they'd ever do?

gently caress, I'm old.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
OK, I did like that That One Doctor From House MD ended up being Azrael, and I figured that Lucifer would just happen to be able to see her at some point in the episode. It didn't happen the way I was hoping (which would reveal to Lopez that Lucifer could see "ghosts," meaning that there's more than meets the eye with Luci), but still, it happened, and it was cool. The thing that killed it for me, though, was that Lucifer figured it out when Lopez jokingly said, "smell ya later!" Then there was that look of realization on his face--Lopez never talks like that! No, she's never said that! Therefore, it can only be Azrael, the only being in all of creation who has ever, does ever, and will ever say the English phrase, "smell you later." Seriously. Seriously.

I get that for those final scenes to work the way they do, you have to have Lopez accidentally reveal that she's been in contact with a celestial being 1) without Lopez knowing she's been in contact with a celestial being, 2) without Lopez knowing that she's revealed this to Lucifer, and 3) without Lopez figuring out that Lucifer can perceive what Lopez believes to be a ghost. But couldn't the writers have come up with some phrase for Lopez to use that's less common and well-known than "smell you later?" You know, something Bible-y? Some sentiment she could convey that is so unique that Lucifer would only associate it with Azrael?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

hangedman1984 posted:

Also something about introducing a new character.

Ugh. That's always a "good" sign.

• Locked thread