Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

TMMadman posted:

This show is kind of stupidly goofy fun and it's only like 15 minutes into the second episode.

Yeah, it kept a lot of the momentum from the last one now that we know everyone. Decker's growing on me, too. Enough for me to remember her name, at least.

Edit: Oh my god, him using that angel's time bullshit as bullet-time was great.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I liked him playing the vocal melody from King of Pain by The Police while Decker was tailing him. Cute touch.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think part of what sells it is the fact that everyone is so incredulous. Yeah, sure buddy, you're the Devil.

Wait, why aren't you dead and why am I now insane?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
"Lucifer, this is all your fault! I wish I'd never met you!" - everyone in this show

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
This show is wonderful. :allears:

"Somebody flip the omlette if it's not already ruined"

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Make a new club set? Hell no, have the party at Lux.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I can't say I was expecting it, but I'm not surprised. That twist is way too common.

On the other hand, I'm definitely interested in what Decker's going to do now that she's seen him doing his crazy devilface thing.

Edit: Oh, shoot him, and then nothing. gasp

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 16, 2016

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Her name's Decker. Something Decker. Wait, poo poo.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I never thought I'd laugh at the phrase "isn't it illegal to leave a child locked in a car?", but here we are.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

computer parts posted:

The guy's assistant bringing out the candles in the background was the best gag of this episode.

Yeah, that was pretty classy. He loved that pig. :qq: :razorfront:

pixelpusherbot posted:

I can't see me watching this show like I did The Wire, Oz or Billions, so I hope to have it jump the shark at least once an episode. This show will be my guilty pleasure, the devil made me say it.

I thought this video was cute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdfJ_Yp4xfc

That's a pretty cool video, I like that they know they aren't going to be able to do a close following of the comics and are trying to do something relateable and not insanely ambitious.

Yeah, it ain't high-class or high drama, but it's certainly a lot of fun.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It kind of seems like, for all his talk of being charming, Mazikeen and Amenadiel are much more skilled manipulators.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think they're just meant to look valuable, since the real prize was hidden.

That scene with the wall punch was intense. God drat, Tom Eliis.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
"Call him Samial until he freaks the gently caress out, it'll be hilarious" - Amenadiel

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Titan posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't even make that connection. Wonder if they realized it when they gave the black Angel crow wings, and the white Fallen Angel the more traditional white feather wings.

:aaaaa:

Amenadiel seems like a different kind of angel. More of a messenger and enforcer, so it makes sense he'd have a different kind of wings. I doubt Lucifer's big flashy wings are sharp enough to justify putting to someone's throat.

Oh maybe black is just more his style. He wears a decent amount of it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The Three Musketeers are pretty fun. Dan's growing on me.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zebulon posted:

Is there anyone who has doubts that he set the fake pair on fire?

That thing with Maze and the feather makes me think he torched the real ones. Amenadiel could probably tell from how close he was while punching Lucifer, too.

I loved the taunting while Amenadiel was working him over. "Fall as I did!" is a pretty twisted way to taunt an angel.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ShakeZula posted:

Interesting that while Lucifer's charm powers don't work on Chloe, Amenadiel's seemingly do. Kind of undermines any theory that she's part angel or whatever.

I think most of that exchange was Chloe just loving with Lucifer after being flirted with. I'm not even convinced Amenadiel is using any powers besides being good-looking on the psych, either.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It sounded like Amenadiel is just the doorkeeper, not actually doing the whole 'devil' job. Sort of the night watchman.

If Lucifer's accurate at all about his obvious ego, that's got to be driving him nuts. Add on to the fact this smarmy rear end in a top hat can just do whatever he wants, while Amenadiel is still stuck taking orders from the big man? He's probably pissed and can slow down time to brood about it even more effeciently.

At the end of the day, there's a fondness, but Lucifer gets to gently caress around while Amenadiel has to pick up the slack. And, biblically, he's probably going to be rewarded for it and Amenadiel knows that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think it's a point to the show's credit that we're even having the discussion. Nobody was asking any sort of motivation or ruminating future plot points about Minority Report. I mean, nobody watched it, either, but y'know.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

WarLocke posted:

So am I alone in thinking that that one quick scene with Maz pulling out a Luci-feather from her little jewel box might imply that she had something to do with the wings being stolen in the first place?

I think it's pretty obvious she's the one who told Amenadiel where they were.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think when the Devil wants something to be on fire, it's drat well going to be on fire.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh my god, it's Jim Rash. :allears:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

computer parts posted:

It makes sense. See the thing with the Devil is that his main sin was not doing exactly what God said without any hesitation. That only makes him a bad guy if you actually believe that God is the #1 best thinker who always gets everything right. That isn't exactly realistic nor assumed for a lot of the modern day audience.

In other words, the guy can still help people and not have it be against his character as long as he's not a total goody two-shoes (which it doesn't look like based on how he dealt with the record producer).

(Also I'm calling it now - there will be a scene where he dresses up like a Catholic Priest and/or hides in a confession booth)

And computer parts nails it. Looks like this prediction is coming true next week!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Tiggum posted:

Amenadiel and Linda have both been involved in cases now and I assume will be again. I'm guessing Mazikeen will be as well.

Maz is more of a perpetrator than investigator, but yeah, I could see that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Snak posted:

I'm actually wondering if Amenadiel's not as smart as he thinks he is, and when Lucifer sees through his plan to have him killed, he will be able to drat AMENADIEL TO HELL with the full blessing of their Father.

edit: ^ poo poo, you're right, there was an actor there too, thought, right? That's why I got confused? There was definitely stuntman somewhere...

But yeah, so Record Producer is out. Was there a musician/pop star?

The Pop Star got shot in front of Lux, leading him to interrogate the Drug Dealer, the Rap Superstar, the Therapist, and the Actor, whose Actress wife is banging the Limo Driver. Then it turns out it was the Record Producer.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I really enjoyed this one. Lucifer recognizing the parallels to the parable and still completely, unabashedly ignoring the message was pretty great. Maze was pretty entertaining, too, as has been stated.

And yeah, if Dan was as good at his job as he was at covering up corruption that lead to the attempted murder of a police officer, none of this would have ever happened.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That was definitely one of my favorites so far. Maze was fun, we got some more mythology, Lucifer gets to do what he does best. Good stuff. Really looking forward to seeing that brawl from the preview.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think it was a mix of apprehension of the pain and the forthcoming knowledge that he's vulnerable around her.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I could see him having a more dramatic plan that changed once she started talking.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Also killing people puts them out of the reach of his punishment. He gets really bent out of shape when the shooter dies in the first episode and says as much.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

VendaGoat posted:

Considering the young lass is blackmailing her father and extorting the, literal, devil?

I think she's more than capable of taking care of herself.

She also knows how to kick people in their no-no place.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That was a great finale. Definitely looking forward to next season.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Snak posted:

Yeah I wasn't sure. It's all very vague. Lucifer and Amenadiel are brothers, and at first I assumed that that's because they were both created by God as angels. But if Maze was an angel, they certainly don't consider her a sister. And while at least one other angel has been mentioned (Uriel), I didn't get the impression that he was their brother.

So maybe things are gonna go a little farther off the Abrahamic rails here and imply that God fathered angels with more than one mother, like something Zeus would do.

Maze is explicitly a demon, created by Lucifer. I think she's his lead torturer, but that may have been someone saying something about the comic and me getting confused.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Could have sworn he said she was a demon at some point. She definitely followed him to LA from hell and I'm reasonably sure he mentioned her being a torturer.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Medullah posted:

Nice music choice for the BSG nerds watching for Helfer. :D

Ha, that part didn't even parse for me. Amazing.

This episode was quite good, good bit of procedural core and bringing the characters back into each others' orbits. The preview makes the rest of the season look fun, too, if Helfer's going to be a common supporting cast member. That part with her slapping at Lucifer's hands while he's calling Amenadiel was fantastic.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, considering you apparently need a body to jump into when you leave hell (or heaven too, maybe), maybe it will just come up as human blood since the guy Lucifer hopped into was human.

Amenadiel seems pretty worried about the blood, though. I think the divine and demonic can just transubstantiate or whatever.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zebulon posted:

Man. Like, I was expecting the sword to be an end-of-season mcguffin. The way they hyped it up they were obviously going to use it at some point.

But Lucifer shanking and killing one of his own brothers definitely seems like the sort of thing that'd gently caress him up, adversarial relationship with several of them or not.

I definitely was not expecting that ending. That was certainly an escalation I wasn't expecting from Lucifer. No deals, just :ese:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Did you learn nothing from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?

Yeah, but the angels we've met are super arrogant and like to grandstand, so the plain sword does sort of stand out as kind of low-key for the sword of the angel of death.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I mean, I'm going to cut her a little slack here. There's a reason Amenadiel was all over the whole 'humans can't have proof of the divine' thing when Lucifer had his wings stolen. She just had 'God is real', 'I've hosed the literal devil', 'I've hosed an angel', and 'I've hosed a demon' all dumped on her at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
He buried the angel of death's sword. In the forest. loving really, Lucifer?

• Locked thread