Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
They got off? Seriously? What the hell? I guess at least I can at least find solace in a ten-months-old "I told you so" to the people who thought the feds should have just charged in on day one because the charges would be a slam dunk, but drat, they were there for over a month and the jury still wouldn't let them stick? I hate juries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CrazyLittle posted:

Maybe next time the US Attorneys might not try for a conspiracy charge "to impede federal employees" where the employees themselves testified that their bosses just told them to telecommute instead.

Do conspiracy charges require the conspiracy to be successful? I thought conspiracy charges are about the plan and its intentions, rather than its result.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Feminasty Slut posted:

Seconds after this photo was taken that poor bicyclist's mind broke and he drove straight into an oncoming box truck.

Also, this is worse than O.J. I thought jury selection was supposed to weed out literal retards.

Just the opposite - jury selection typically tries to weed out anyone with any expert knowledge or anyone with an opinion on any of the matters on trial

Karl Barks posted:

are there no charges stemming from the poo poo that went down in oklahoma or texas or wherever that was?

That's a separate trial, apparently

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I said I have no sympathy for him IF he did what the report said. Even fuckin nm would probably not make excuses for him actually squaring off to fight the marshals. But feel free to continue willfully misreading things as it suits you.

When a cop starts talking about how their honed combat instincts respond to slight movements of the perp's body, it usually means they didn't bother to make up an excuse for beating up or shooting the person until after they did it

lol if you think a loving defense lawyer was gonna punch a us marshal in the face in front of a judge and several other us marshals

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I'm really not seeing the honed instincts and subtle twitches. That is all pretty reasonable, if it actually happened that way, which is the part nobody here actually knows. We have fragmentary accounts mostly second-hand. Some say he didn't get in the marshals' way, some say he did. Some say he didn't do anything physical, some say he raised his arms as they approached. Some say he was talking to the judge, Mumford himself said he was addressing the marshals directly as they approached him.

I don't know what actually happened and neither does anyone here, you're all just jerking yourselves off because the word "combat" was in the report.

if alarms don't start going off in your head when you see phrases like "pre-assault indicators" and "boxer's stance" then you're not nearly familiar enough with police brutality

it's like how, according to police shooting reports, black males with guns and gun-like objects have an apparently irresistible compulsion to raise them at any cop they see even if the cop is just passing by

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BlackIronHeart posted:

I really wonder what these militia chickenfuckers think about the governments ability to send a Hellfire missile through the roof of whatever shithole they're inhabiting in the same amount of time it would take for a pizza to be delivered. Like, yeah, you've got a bunch of rifles and pistols and shotguns and maybe some improvised pipebombs or whatever but they'll blow up the building before you even know death is coming. How do they keep up any sense of bravado in the face of that? I guess that's why they keep kids around.

They think that if the government did something like that to white self-proclaimed patriots, gun owners all over the nation would rise up in revolt against the government, the military and National Guard and local sheriffs would all stand aside and refuse to put down the rebellion, the government would be forced to step down and be replaced by libertarians somehow, and in the end they would all be revered as heroic martyrs who died Making America Great Again.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Baloogan posted:

^^

yup

AND they would be on the right side of history too

there are still standing monuments to the White League members who overthrew black-elected governments by force at the end of Reconstruction

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Can't we agree that the Bundy people are morons while also not disparaging the people's right to be armed and to revolt against an unjust government?

Ah yes, the Constitutional right to armed revolt

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I realize the Declaration of Independence isn't like a legal government document as such but uh

that's why the 2nd amendment exists

funnily enough the US federal government has never, ever recognized a case of armed rebellion being valid, and the very same people who wrote the Declaration of Independence were involved in putting down no less than three major rebellions, all of which believed they were fighting for constitutional principles against an unjust federal government

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Surely that extends to state militias as well.

Militias weren't standing military forces. That's why they were called militias rather than militaries - they were temporary military forces assembled to meet a potential threat, not professional standing armies.

Under the Militia Act of 1792, for example, every military-age white male citizen was legally required to possess a gun and a certain quantity of ammo...and they were also legally required to join the state militia, which could call them up as soldiers whenever the situation demanded. In other words, it was basically a draft.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I may have misunderstood their feelings on militias (in that I didn't realize they made a distinction between a standing army and a state militia)

Are you really blaming the founders for your own inability to understand the meaning "militia" has consistently held for over three hundred years?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

hm no that's not really what happened. I took a quote specifically about how standing armies are a threat to liberty and assumed they also applied it to militias which have many of the same characteristics as a 'standing army' (esp since at the time there was no standing federal army really and it was up to states) but apparently not

See this is kind of another example of some SA circlejerk poo poo lol. So quick to jump on the anti-Mori bandwagon that you don't realize the statement "this word has kept the consistent same definition for over 300 years" is kind of absurd on its face.

"militia" does not mean "standing army" now, and it didn't mean "standing army" 300 years ago

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
this discussion makes me think of the Bonus Army, where not only did the military happily deploy against civilian protesters, but they kept going even after the president ordered them to stop because the general commanding the effort thought they were all dirty commies plotting to overthrow the country

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

nah I get this and I'm against it normally like I said but I do think there's a very small segment of cases where the perpetrator doesn't deserve the resources

and I do think that even in those cases they deserve their rights like the appeals process etc etc

this line of thinking is exactly why the death penalty is bad. "I oppose X, except in particular cases that trigger an emotional reaction in me" is basically exactly how bad justice happens

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

it's not an emotional thing for me though, I think prison would be better suited for rehabilitation rather than punishment but some people are beyond rehabilitation

that being said, I totally understand why people are against it

imo no one is really beyond rehabilitation, and it's fundamentally wrong to say we can rule it out in advance like that

that's just something we tell ourselves because it's easier to say that some people are just inherently and irreparably bad than to admit that a sane and lucid person can do these sorts of things

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Perhaps after 10* years of involuntary confinement the sweet release of death is better then the alternative. Especially given the US justice system.

But even better would be to stop handing down ridiculous sentences.

*can be any number you want, doesn't change the argument.

Maybe we could make prisons not awful

Anders Breivik didn't get put in an awful hellhole

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Was he imprisoned for life?
Anyway what I'm saying is this

Is not a progressive position, and the idea of egregious sentence length is more "appalling" to me then capital punishment.

Norway doesn't have life sentences. He got the maximum sentence of 21 years under preventive detention, and will become eligible for parole after serving 10 of those years

preventive detention means that he's evaluated at the end of the sentence and it can be extended for another five years if he is still deemed to be a danger to society. at the end of the sentence he is evaluated again and it can be extended again if necessary. this continues until he is either released or dead

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Uh oh:

Prosecutors want California man to remove blog posts on FBI informants in refuge occupation case

and punchline:

As always, read the full article for more details and important context.

The article has been updated; apparently the judge agrees that Hunt is not covered under the court's protective order - which only blocked the defense from sharing the report, not random third parties who mysteriously got the report somehow. Also, since Hunt doesn't live in Oregon, the court doesn't have jurisdiction over him anyway:

quote:

Mon., Jan. 9: The judge has asked federal prosecutors to explain to her in writing by noon on Tues., Jan. 10, how the court has authority over the actions of a third party, in this case Hunt, under the terms of the court's protective order, without advance notice to the third party and without an opportunity for that person to be heard. 

Brown also asked prosecutors to explain how she could compel someone outside the District of Oregon to respond to the government's motion. Further, she asked if prosecutors wish to amend the existing protective order to address these matters.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Also:

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/819622355404132352

Love is apparently a BLM special agent who runs BLM enforcement for a couple states, and who was (if I am googling correctly) one of the people in charge onsite during the first Bundy standoff. Love apparently led a crackdown on things like illegal artifact trade in the states he's responsible for, as well as oversaw the first Bundy standoff- he's a locus of conspiracy theories and apparently now has to have a protective detail.

Sounds like bullshit to me. "The investigator was really surprised to hear that I didn't hesitate even a little to testify against someone I've publicly hated and demonized for seven straight years" is a pretty common theme in "shit_that_didn't_happen.txt.doc.exe".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Remember when he got busted trying to wiretap a sitting congresswoman? How the gently caress did a federal felony turn into boys will be boys?

plea bargain

he pleaded guilty in exchange for the charges being knocked down to a misdemeanor

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

andrew smash posted:

It just seems odd for a prosecutor to pass up the opportunity to skullfuck that little poo poo, but hey look what thread i'm posting in - maybe they had the right idea

i don't think prosecutors are all that gung-ho to go after a guy that a bunch of congressmen and wealthy donors really like just because he spied on a democrat

plea deal is way easier

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Someone in the North Dakota state House introduced a law that would make it legal for drivers to run over protesters obstructing traffic

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Trump is a habitual liar who enjoys making people wonder what he's thinking, loves to pit his underlings against each other, and has absolutely no problem with saying one thing and doing another

the only certain thing about the next four years is that they're going to be awful. anyone who thinks they can make specific predictions based on things he said or people he associates with are dumb

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

Thorn was placed against a wall and claimed his arrest was illegal and that the FBI "only had jurisdiction within ten square miles of Washington, D.C,'' according to FBI agent Daniel Baringer's report.

During the approximately 15-minute ride in a six-passenger van to the FBI Bend office, Thorn told agents there are thousands of members of his movement who are educated to rise up and replace each other, according to the agents' reports.

"You guys are going to have your hands full,'' the FBI reports quoted Thorn saying.

Thorn made some remark about "an eye for any eye'' and claimed the agents "took one of ours.'' Thorn said he was trained by a member of the Russian Spetsnaz and could have fought them off if it hadn't been six against one, the FBI said.

this is just precious

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
lol it's a good thing juries aren't easily swayed or anything

http://reviewjournal.com/news/bundy-blm/letter-names-blm-agent-charge-bundy-case-target-federal-ethics-probe

quote:

Bureau of Land Management agent Dan Love, a central figure in the government’s case against rancher Cliven Bundy, has been identified as the target of a federal ethics probe in a letter two congressional lawmakers sent to the Office of the Inspector General.

The Feb. 14 letter, sent by U.S. Reps. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, and Blake Farenthold, R-Texas, accuses Love of scrubbing emails, influencing witnesses and deleting hundreds of documents the day before a congressional investigative committee issued a records request. Chaffetz and Farenthold sit on the U.S. House Committee for Oversight and Government Reform.

The letter asks the Office of the Inspector General to further investigate Love following its release last month of an investigative report that slammed the agent for numerous ethics violations. The report found Love used his position to obtain tickets to a sold-out Burning Man festival, improperly intervened in the hiring process of a friend and bullied employees who could have reported his wrongdoing.

The latest allegations are likely to fuel defense arguments in the trial against six men charged as Bundy’s co-conspirators in a 2014 armed standoff in Bunkerville. The incident occurred when the BLM, supervised by Love, tried to seize Bundy’s cattle.

Defense lawyers previously have suggested that Love is the target of the inspector general’s report, and have tried to introduce evidence related to the ethics accusations. They argue the standoff occurred because law enforcement officers acted improperly and aggressively.

In the letter, Chaffetz and Farenthold accuse Love of destroying federal records, tampering with witnesses and obstructing a congressional investigation. They cite unreleased records, including interviews with other BLM employees who were questioned during the inspector general’s investigation.

“After receiving a congressional request for documents, the witness heard Dan Love ‘say to (another BLM employee] that [said BLM employee) needed to make sure that he scrubbed the emails before he sent them, you know, flagging anything that looked inappropriate so that (Dan Love) could remove them if he needed,” the letter says.

The letter also accuses Love of trying to influence the investigation’s outcome by giving another employee “talking points” before an interview with investigators.

The letter does not identify the other employees interviewed about Love’s alleged misconduct. But defense attorney Todd Leventhal said last week that the investigative report named as many as five or six BLM employees who are on the government’s witness list in the Bunkerville standoff trial. Leventhal has said the other employees “aided and abetted” Love; First U.S. Attorney Steven Myhre maintains they were simply questioned as part of the investigation.

Myhre’s opening statement to jurors included references to Love’s efforts to de-escalate the standoff. The prosecutor since has said he does not plan to call Love, who was the special agent in charge, as a witness.

Chaffetz and Farenthold did not disclose what prompted them to investigate Love. But Chaffetz, who leads the House Oversight Committee, has introduced legislation to strip the BLM of its law enforcement functions. During the 2014 standoff with the BLM, Bundy called for participants to “disarm the National Park Service.”

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hangedman1984 posted:

Why I was wondering how legit this it. I mean Chaffers is known for partison witch hunts.

the question isn't whether it's true, it's whether the judge will let the defense mention the allegations during the trial

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

next time they try this poo poo trump is gonna ruby ridge the poo poo outta them isn't he

yeah, I'm sure the guy who appoints people who want to dissolve agencies to head those agencies and renamed the violent extremism division to the Islamic extremism division would be real concerned about white, Christian protesters shutting down a government office

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you're right our new strong daddy would never be mean to his children acting out

not if they're white, no

instead, he'd probably insist on negotiating with them personally to show off how much of a dealmaker he is

via twitter

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

"Father Denies His Son's Accusations of Child Abuse" isn't exactly the amusing story I expected based in that headline

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm going to be hopeful.

Can you describe this for me

I've forgotten what "hope" feels like

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

i feared this might happen but all I can do is laugh

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
i hope these idiots talk to the press

juror #4 needs a friend

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's mostly just "we're the real cops and the real courts, so your fake cops and courts were obstructing a police officer by arresting our sovereign marshals" stuff, plus a side order of suing the nearby TV station for saying that they were pretending to be US marshals

...at least until page 19, when it suddenly goes full sovcit and unleashes a big pile of conspiracy theories all at once. For example, it alleges that the bar is a) a British conspiracy to undermine the real US by preventing real Americans from using the real laws against the fake US corporation, and b) a closed union shop that is illegal under right-to-work laws.

Then it lists out the customary sovcit giant list of absurd damages that they expect everyone they're suing to pay, of which the most noticeable is a demand that the fake US pay $700 billion dollars to the real US.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Talmonis posted:

Is there a "legal" way to black bag them and hurl them in Guantanamo for terrorism charges?

they're white, so no

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's not so much that they were peaceful, as that they're mostly all cowards waiting for someone else to make the first move.

also law enforcement went really far out of their way to make sure these idiots couldn't endanger anyone besides themselves and the poor officers they were pointing guns at

syscall girl posted:

It's dirty dastardly stuff but it has been covered already.

it feels like "oh you scummy fed bastards you're taking the piss out of legitimate journalisms"

Ah well I mean, it's the Bundys so I can be on your side for this but seriously don't gently caress up journalism please, fellas?

on the other hand, it's not like they impersonated journalists to get access to plant bugs or something like that. I feel like if you're talking directly to a camera with the full expectation that the footage will be used in a publicly released documentary, you can't really complain when that footage ends up in a courtroom

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
One of the men involved in the standoff at the Bundy Ranch, Gerald DeLemus, has been sentenced to seven years in prison. He was widely expected to get six years after pleading guilty last year, but the judge imposed a longer sentence because she felt he hadn't expressed any remorse for his actions, terming him a "bully vigilante".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
^^^
holy poo poo, that whole twitter thread

hobbesmaster posted:

you can eventually figure out what happened there - they were going off on irrelevant stuff that the judge prohibited

however odds that this also ends in a deadlock or not guilty verdict probably just went up dramatically because their only defense is "the government is mean"

yeah, the full article goes into more detail - the judge banned them from discussing a bunch of topics that don't have any legal relevance to the case but could potentially drive a jury nullification attempt

the guy went off and discussed those things anyway, the judge stopped the testimony and told defense lawyers to cut it out, then they continued and he kept doing it

Main Paineframe has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Aug 12, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I don't blame the judge for going this far given how awful the jury pool was, but they're totally gonna get off anyway

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
sounds like a hung jury to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is there any way at all to keep juries from being constantly inundated with jury nullification poo poo?

apparently not, because the judge tried pretty hard

DQed a bunch of pro-Bundy jurors, didn't let the defendants tell their stories about how they were just peacefully​ protecting themselves from the evil government, etc

this loving sucks

what in the hell is a "partial not guilty" anyway

e: oh, it means only some of them were found not guilty

Main Paineframe has issued a correction as of 01:33 on Aug 23, 2017