Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

rabble rabble posted:

haha remember when that one guy died, bet he sure feels like an idiot

I imagine the various lower-level militants who plead out and flipped on the Bundy's feel like right jackasses now. Presuming they're capable of self reflection, of course (spoiler: they're not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Goodpancakes posted:

Can't the government bring civil charges and bankrupt these people at the very least?

Remember what happened last time the feds tried to seize Cliven's assets after he refused to pay up?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

"Look, just because they literally, undeniably committed the crimes in question doesn't mean they're guilty of anything." -Juror 4, probably.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

nm posted:

Wrong blm, morons.

They're not fans of the other one either, for reasons that are totally unrelated to white supremacy honest.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Fat Twitter Man posted:

One case I can think of, the guy was in a backcountry campsite but rangers went to check on his campsite because he was walking along a road with a whiskey bottle wearing a bear costume. It may well have been Trump's Baby Hands.

This is now thread canon.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Relevant Tangent posted:

I'd imagine it's a situation of too many idiots not to be. Went and saw Old Faithful with my parents when I was kid and a younger kid was under the rope reaching towards one of the rivulets that run along the ground. Some alert adult grabbed him back, but I guess those are all at some crazy temperature?

And insane Ph as well. I trust you saw that story a week or so ago about the dude who accidentally dissolved himself while trying to bathe in one of Yellowstone's pools?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Moridin920 posted:

NK is just gonna hit LA one fine day and then the US will retaliatory strike which will make China panic and launch their poo poo at Russia + USA which will make Russia jump in 'cuz wtf

and you'll be out there screaming "PECKERWOOOOOOOOODS!" right before nuclear annihilation takes you.

Fixed.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Moridin920 posted:

Surely that extends to state militias as well.

Oddly, no. The framers of the constitution had, for the most part, wildly romantic ideas about the virtues of citizen-militiaman vs. regular soldiers, with the latter presumed to be amoral hired goons. They'd inherited this attitude from the British, where regulars were seen as more the enforcers of the crown's will* than defenders of the nation (that role being reserved for the Royal Navy). Furthermore, unlike standing armies, militias were largely hypothetical organizations until actually called up to deal with this or that specific problem, and almost always short-lived and demobbed shortly after the problem had been dealt with, further limiting their likelihood of being actual threats to liberty.

*In both nations this suspicion would linger until WWI, with the idea of service in the ranks being only half a step better than being a career criminal being quite common.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Moridin920 posted:

get bent lol nothing I said was retarded even if you don't necessarily agree with everything I've said and you don't need to be pointlessly hostile

You badly misunderstood the nature of the relationship the framers of the constitution had with armed force and their complicated attitudes towards militia vs. standing armies, as well as the important differences between those two as understood in the late 18th century.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not to derail this thrilling tangent about the 2nd amendment, but why does Baloogan's rap sheet make it appear he has been giving himself probations for a while now?

He does that from time to time, which I think is a better indication that we made the right choice in making him an IK. One time he got told mods/IKs couldn't probate themselves and he drunkenly replied "gently caress YOU YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO" and then probated himself, which was hilarious.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

eugenics is cool and good I guess

Actually, no!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

whew thanks for the reality check that was a close one

Always there for you.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Baloogan posted:

plz update us on moldering status

Moldering status: still.

Also because it's a less-known bit of Harper's Ferry trivia: Lee's adjutant during the raid was JEB! Stuart.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

it's pretty hilarious how many West Point grads went on to fight for the Confederacy

For some classes, I think it might have been more than half.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

red19fire posted:

Wasn't it more like the firstborn son inherited the plantation, which was most of the parents' material wealth, and there was basically no other choice but military or business school for the second/third/etc?

There was a discussion about the long history of the useless FailSons of the wealthy getting bullshit jobs and just enough money to not embarrass themselves on chapo trap house a few months ago, a rich tradition that continues to this day.

There was also the romantic mythology that the South was the inheritors of the Cavalier tradition of pre-Civil War* England, which lent influence martial culture along those lines up to and including, believe it or not, the holding of jousting tourneys throughout the antebellum period.

*To be clear, I'm referring to the actual 17th century English Civil War here.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

How about don't kill people to save money

Hottest take of the thread, right here.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

How are we going to honor the death of the One True Tarp?

Acts of commemoration that are functionally and legally indistinguishable from littering and vandalism, if the past is any indication.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nonsense posted:

I have hope again

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

They were willing to die for the cause but they sure as poo poo ain't willing to go to jail lmao

With only a couple exceptions, it's more that they were willing for other people to die for the cause.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Willing to die for the cause, but not willing to go without snacks.

*Opens yet another package of dildos, sex lube, and sugar-free gummy bears*
"Goddammit why won't people take us seriously?!"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

Is Ritzy in prison right now. Last I heard he was probably getting a couple of years.

"Daddy swore and oath. Now he lives in a cage with his new family, the Aryan Brotherhood!"

Well, newish family.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I can't get over special agent Dan Love.

It's not bad as names go, but he's no Agent Carl Mark Force IV.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

Mormons have a prohibition on alcohol for the same reason that we passed prohibition as a country. Apparently everyone in the 19th/early 20th century was a raging alcoholic.

No joke drinking in the 19th century was really out of control. Saloon culture and widespread, cheap booze led to conditions not hugely dissimilar from any modern day drug epidemic, at times. Temperance advocates, and their prohibitionist cousins, were reacting to a genuine social ill, but went overboard in their response.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 14:02 on May 1, 2017

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Coolguye posted:

it is basically the height of black comedy to read letters passed between sheriffs in the actual wild west and the charges they handed down. public drunkenness charges tend to start off with "i realize a man's drinking is his own business, but--"

or Washington's general orders during the revolutionary war to reward the men for good performance in battle or on maneuvers amounts to a rum ration between 4-5 shots for a single night, and there's tons of soldier letters back home that basically read "the gently caress is this poo poo, how is this enough"

it really helped me understand why my parents and grandparents were generally so wary about drinking even a single beer; they'd seen god only knows how many family and friends completely flunk out on the whole moderation thing and go 8 drinks to the wind in an hour.

Have you read "The Alcoholic Republic: An American Tradition" by W. J. Rorabaugh? It's a great read about booze in 19th century America, and includes a number of great anecdotes, like this one about how people skirted early temperance laws and local dry codes:

quote:

Each effort failed to achieve the universal abstinence that reformers sought. Again and again it was demonstrated that those who believed in abstinence could not succeed in imposing their own view of morality upon that portion of the population that did not share their vision. In 1838, when Massachusetts outlawed the retail sale of distilled spirits, Yankee ingenuity triumphed. An enterprising liquor dealer painted stripes on his pig and advertised that for 6˘ a person could see this decorated beast. The viewer also got a free glass of whiskey. Such ploys spurred a hurried repeal of the nation's first prohibition law.

"Yeah man, I'm in pretty bad shape. Looked at the pig five times last night."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I am OK with this, contingent upon it being 300 miles due west.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Geoj posted:

Mediocre troll 3/10, would not click again.

Yeah. Better step up your game, B. Lagging for the second day in a row.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Baloogan posted:

if the bundies harmed anyone (aside from their dumb selves) id be right with ya on condemning em. dozens of idiots with guns squatted in a building for a couple of months and literally no one got injured aside from whats left of their pride and one shot dead by the feds?

these guys went FAR out of their way to be hella peaceful while protesting

It's not so much that they were peaceful, as that they're mostly all cowards waiting for someone else to make the first move.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jose posted:

lol at being dumber than everyone else involved in this poo poo show

A few revisions ago, the subtitle for the British election/britpol thread was "a never-ending conveyor belt of morons," which I'm increasingly inclined to think works here as well.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's relatively easy, you just have to check for barrel abstractions.

:golfclap:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

LongDarkNight posted:

ryanbundy.jpg

:drat:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

we got free terrible coffee too! and if you wanted breakfast I guess you could put part of your $5 towards a pop tart from the vending machine?

actual jury duty pay was $7. so we got $12 a day!

it would've been terrible if there was more than a day of it

The one time I was up for jury duty they paid us $40 a day, and I wasn't around long enough to find out whether they'd also spring for lunch or not.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nevada State District Court?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zegermans posted:

That's rough buddy

:golfclap:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I admire his restraint in not calling it the "devil weed" as he so clearly wanted.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Why do they always flee to Mexico.

They're all a bunch of fuckheads.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

GlyphGryph posted:

Can someone change the title? Every time this gets bumped I think it's been updated to reflect another batch of 'em getting off.

Done.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I can't see these idiots not doing something like this again now that they've gotten away with it twice, and next time I have a hard time believing the feds won't just light their asses up at the first semi-plausible excuse.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

This can't be overstated. Cops literally bombed basically the urban, black version of the Bundy clan, and none of them got in trouble for it.

AFAIK, the only other time aircraft flown by Americans deliberately dropped bombs on Americans was the 1921 Tulsa race riot... again cops bombing black Americans.

At the Battle of Blair Mountain, company airplanes dropped explosives on the miners, with Army Air Corp bombers providing "aerial surveillance."

quote:

The following day, President Warren Harding threatened to send in federal troops and Army Martin MB-1 bombers. After a long meeting in the town of Madison, the seat of Boone County, agreements were made convincing the miners to return home. However, the struggle was far from over. After spending days to assemble his private army, Chafin was not going to be denied his battle to end union attempts at organizing Logan County coal mines. Within hours of the Madison decision, rumors abounded that Sheriff Chafin's men had shot union sympathizers in the town of Sharples, West Virginia, just north of Blair Mountain—and that families had been caught in crossfire during the skirmishes. Infuriated, the miners turned back towards Blair Mountain, many traveling in other stolen and commandeered trains.

By August 29, battle was fully joined. Chafin's men, though outnumbered, had the advantage of higher positions and better weaponry. Private planes were hired to drop homemade bombs on the miners. A combination of gas and explosive bombs left over from World War I were dropped in several locations near the towns of Jeffery, Sharples and Blair. At least one did not explode and was recovered by the miners; it was used months later to great effect during treason and murder trials following the battle. On orders from General Billy Mitchell, Army bombers from Maryland were also used for aerial surveillance. One Martin bomber crashed on its return flight, killing the three members of the crew

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

:lol: if you think the BLM under Trump is going to be allowed to do anything to the Bundys.

We need Janet Reno 2: Militia Purge Boogaloo.

Curiously, this is like the one pack of violent rightwing rubes that Trump hasn't gone to bat for, and indeed has spoken out against a couple times (admittedly prior to being elected).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Capntastic posted:

gently caress that I’mma dig a poo poo pit we’re in for the long haul

Hey. Hey buddy. You want somma this?
*opens dishelved trenchcoat, revealing bags of sugar-free gummy dicks*