Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Steam Page
Developers' Website
Many thanks to my good friend ChaosArgate for extracting the game script and helping me make writing this LP 200% less painful, and to FPzero for the rad banners in the OP

From the Hanako Games website

quote:

9 AM Monday morning. A report lands on your desk: Jeanette's monogrammed silver locket has gone missing. The last time she definitely remembers having it, she was walking in the Field with her friend Susan. Shifty hallmate Ashley had also been admiring the locket recently.
Do you:

Drag Ashley in for interrogation?
Comb the Field for clues?
Try to stimulate Jeanette's memory?
Put Susan under surveillance?

Solve the case quickly, and everyone will applaud your leadership. Be too heavy-handed in your approach, and public opinion will turn against you. Let a thief slip through your fingers to strike again, and the whole school's reputation will suffer.

This is no ordinary high school! Here the daughters of the rich and famous are polished and prepared for their futures on the world stage. Reputation is everything, and the competition is cutthroat... sometimes literally.

Can you survive until your graduation?

No really, what is it?
Black Closet is a game about being student council president at a prestigious private school. Its your job to make sure the students are behaving in a way that reflects well upon the school and don't do anything illegal or that could damage the schools' reputation. You do this by investigating cases brought to your desk using your five minions, student council members each with different skills, strengths, weaknesses and personalities. Aside from a few "plot" cases, most of the cases are randomly generated but they all have logical conclusions and they can all be solved. Of course, this being a Hanako Games game there's also a visual novel element, and three out of five of your minions are romanceable!

Neat! How are you doing this LP?
I'm going for a hybrid style. Updates will be posted as either videos (with no commentary, just straight up gameplay) in addition to screenshot updates. The only exception will be the first video, which has a little bit of commentary as I explain some things in the tutorial. In screenshot posts, my comments will be in italics, character speech will be "in speechmarks" with their portrait attached and actions will be in bold.

Thread interaction?
The nature of this game makes it perfect for a thread participation LP, which is one of the big reasons that I decided to do it this way! There'll be a bunch of polls and stuff and after every ingame day, I'll be asking you, the thread, what to do with our cases! We also get free time on our weekends to hang out with our fellow student council members and I'll be asking you guys who to hang out with and what to do! Oh, and I'm relying on you, thread, because we have a traitor to catch!

Traitor?
Yes! One of our minions is a traitor. She will attempt to sabotage our efforts at every turn, and cause us to lose karma and reputation. If we drop low enough, we're kicked off the council and expelled from school so keep an eye out, friends! The traitor is different at the start of every game, so even I don't know who ours is for this run. Each traitor has different ways of attempting to sabotage you, ranging from the very subtle to all but standing on the roof screaming "I'M THE TRAITOR" at you. Its up to us to figure out who it is so keep an eye out!

Its us! The head of the student council

Our minions! Althea, Rowan and Vonne are potential romance options, Thais and Mallory are underage and therefore off-limits but we can still work to become their good friends if we choose to pursue their routes! I'll add more information here as we learn more about the girls!

Episode 0 - Tutorial
Episode 1 - September 5th / Video
Episode 2 - September 5th-7th
Episode 3 - September 7th-9th / Week 1 Video
Episode 4 - September 10th & 11th / Video
Episode 5 - September 12-14

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 1 - September 5th, Part 1
Video version here

"When you reach the Student Council office, Vonne is already waiting for you."

Here we have the introduction of our first minion! This is Vonne and she's very professional

: "Ah, there you are, Elsa."
: "Everything is in order. One of the chairs had a rip in the cushion, so I had maintenance swap it out. All the filing slots are clean, and there's a fresh box of push-pins by the bulletin board."

Our first choice in the game! Since the thread just went up, I'm being generically friendly for now, but since you guys get to decide what kind of person our Elsa is, that's subject to change so don't worry!

: "You didn't have to do all that"

: "I intend to do my job well. Being Vice-President means more than just waiting for a chance to step into your shoes, Captain."

: "Why are you calling me 'Captain'?"

: "You... you don't remember."

: "Captain' rolls off the tongue more easily than 'Madam President', don't you think?"

"There's a sound at the door."

: "That must be the other officers."

Minion number two is Thais, affectionately named Boob Window by me and my friends for obvious reasons

: " - to tell Elsa that she has to..."

: "Oh. You're already here."

: "And what were you going to tell our President?"

: "Well. I don't mean to be rude, Vonne, but all things considered, it's not right that you are Vice-President when my big sister is so much more qualified."

Minion the third! This is Althea, Thais' older sister. I swear they're related. Honest.

: "I don't want the job."

: "You didn't want to be President, that's fine, but you deserve -"

: "Thaïs, I'm not interested."

: "You're a natural leader, and she has the personality of a secretary -"

: "Vonne was elected, end of story"

: "Oh, fine, be stuck in your dusty old ways. Youth will overcome, you'll see."

"The door opens again."

Minion four! This is Mallory and I read everything she says in a southern American accent for some reason. She's the happiest person alive.

: "Yes, this is the Student Council"

: "Oh, good, I found the right place!"

: "I'm Mallory. I'm the Hospitality Officer."

: "Oh, right. New girl."

: "Be respectful to this young lady - it's your first year on Student Council, too."

: "Yes, but I've been at this school since kindergarten and she just started as a freshman."

: "Well, I think it's lovely to see some new faces."

: "Ahh... thanks?"

: "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mallory"

: "It's nice to meet you, too! I look forward to working with all of you."

: "Aren't we missing someone? What about Rowan?"

: "She's already here."

Our final minion! This is Rowan. She's been here the whole time but you probably didn't notice her.

: "Where did you come from?"

: "The hallway."

: "I didn't see you."

: "It pays to be observant."

"Now that your minions are assembled, it is time to open your case folders and see what this week has in store."

At the end of every week you get this calendar. Its not too useful for now but as yo ucan see it shows us what date we're on and which big plot and/or school events are coming up soon

Except for the story-critical cases, all cases are randomly generated when loading the game at the start of the day. Since I don't fancy leaving the game open for a week I'll have to generate this case later! Because its our first week here we're only getting one, and its quite and easy one. Sometimes you can end up with two or even three cases dropped on your plate a week on top of what you might already have. Better enjoy this relative quiet while it lasts! Next time we'll have our first case but for now there's some real simple stuff to vote on.

First of all what kind of person are we? How should we treat our minions, like friends or like servants to boss around? Will we be tough but fair, or will we throw our weight around?

Secondly, which (if any) romance option should we pursue? I've put up a strawpoll here for your voting pleasure!

I'll be writing up the first case and the next update over the weekend so you have until then to let your opinions be heard!

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 27, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Ah oool, a black closet LP. I played the demo and I sorta liked it but for some reason I decided not to buy it. Maybe this thread will spark my interest enough to do.

Be a ruthless, draconian dictator, who shemes against everyone.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Air is lava! posted:

Be a ruthless, draconian dictator, who shemes against everyone.

I like this, let's get results.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I concur, strike down all who oppose you.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Also, for anyone who's wondering, apparently "Thaïs" is pronounced either like "ties" or "th-ice". There's a reason we just call her boob-window. :shrug:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
No, no, we are the Benevolent Dictator. We of course will assist everyone who voted for us, and offer the greatest boons to our minions fair companions. But should anyone rise against us, we shall show no mercy.

EDIT: Also we always speak for the Student Council in the third person.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Benevolent dictator who will bring the loving hammer down

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Faerie Fortune posted:

Each traitor has different ways of attempting to sabotage you, ranging from the very subtle to all but standing on the roof screaming "I'M THE TRAITOR" at you.
That's actually why I was put off by the demo. My traitor was not even trying to hide anything. She failed literally every task, so it was way to obvious and felt stupid and pointless. If that can actually vary I might actually give this game another try.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I'll just suggest the opposite of what I would do, so boss them around and throw your weight around like the teenage tyrant you are!

Also, First Girl Wins - Vonne! There seems to be some history there, some forgotten promise, very anime.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Air is lava! posted:

That's actually why I was put off by the demo. My traitor was not even trying to hide anything. She failed literally every task, so it was way to obvious and felt stupid and pointless. If that can actually vary I might actually give this game another try.

Yeah, I did a run on stream where our traitor might as well have called herself Traitor McTraitorson and walked around with a giant glowing neon sign above her head and a speaker that constantly yelled "its me I'm the traitor". The traitor herself is different every time but they each have their own approaches, some are a lot more subtle than others. I'm pretty sure that functionality is in the demo, when my girlfriend played through it she had no idea who the traitor was at all because nobody seemed to stand out, which is the exact opposite to your experience!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let's be forgiving, but not too forgiving.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I want to be the contrarian so let's be a big ol' softy :3:

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

Give everyone one chance. After that, screw 'em.

Coiler12
Jul 25, 2010
I have the game and love it, but have only gotten to the "traitor not revealed in time" bad ending.

I'd go with Benevolent Dictator for the personality.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Be completely neutral about everything.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

Minion number two is Thais, affectionately named Boob Window by me and my friends for obvious reasons

I show affection very oddly if that's what I feel. Preeeety sure it comes off as explicit and constant disdain.

I agree with Coiler12, become the female Vetinari, so I guess Margalotta.

e: alternative option. All the Lemons.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 27, 2016

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Yeah, I did a run on stream where our traitor might as well have called herself Traitor McTraitorson and walked around with a giant glowing neon sign above her head and a speaker that constantly yelled "its me I'm the traitor". The traitor herself is different every time but they each have their own approaches, some are a lot more subtle than others. I'm pretty sure that functionality is in the demo, when my girlfriend played through it she had no idea who the traitor was at all because nobody seemed to stand out, which is the exact opposite to your experience!

There's one traitor that you never get in the first run because she's the hardest to detect. Techincally this game got two sprite sets, and I vastly prefer the one OP uses as the other's kind of bad.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FeyerbrandX posted:

I show affection very oddly if that's what I feel. Preeeety sure it comes off as explicit and constant disdain.

This is the best way to play, do this.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Thais is clearly a lady vampire or something similar. It's the only thing that explains that skin and that outfit. She must also, therefore, be the traitor - she's probably trying to get us thrown out of school so nobody notices when she drinks our blood.

On the grounds that we should keep our friends close and our enemies closer, we should max out her friendship.

mcclay posted:

This. There's no need to be too much of a dick about it, but our underlings are under for a reason.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The school is top priority. Be nice when you can but the school comes above all else. I mean, you're never gonna see these people again after high school, right? They are your minions after all.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
We are an imperious Ice Queen who rules the Student Council with an iron grip, deigning to be favorable only to the most loyal and deserving.

You know the "refined girl" archetype in anime that does the 'fufufufufu' laugh while daintily covering their mouth with their hand? That's us in this playthrough

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

mcclay posted:

Yeah this sounds good to me.

Also, I can't quite pin it down, but there's something really offputting to me about the faces of the characters.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

mcclay posted:

I'm okay with this.

Everyone else looks a bit cartoonish, but drawn in the same style, but Thais looks like she ran away from one of Kojima's Castlevanias. It would be awesome if she wasn't an rear end in a top hat to us in literally her first appearance.

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009
You are in a Gendo pose for a reason, be implacably professional (though courteous when warranted) when on the job, coddling them will do them no good.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I like this game a lot, though I've only played one campaign, and couldn't actually finish - I only kept one save and eventually locked myself into a Reputation death spiral.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Yay, this game! I agree about being the benevolent dictator. We should be nice to our minions, because they are our friends and are on our side (well, most of them)! But no holding back against anyone who wrongs us in any way shape or form! :black101:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
This game owns pretty hard.

As for things, just always remember. The Student Council is the boot on the throat of the school, and while you are the foot in that boot that throat's not going to get crushed properly if you don't take good care of the boot itself (your minions).

Also remember rules are for everyone else, you are the embodiment of LAW.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Yeah, I did a run on stream where our traitor might as well have called herself Traitor McTraitorson and walked around with a giant glowing neon sign above her head and a speaker that constantly yelled "its me I'm the traitor".

Lemons everywhere and no die roll higher than a 2!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Throwing in another vote for the Benevolent Dictator. The last Hanako LP I read went places, so I'm looking forward to this. :allears:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

YESSSS I knew someone was going to LP this eventually! Looking forward to this!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss. We shall be Lady Elsa Vetinari.

They never say our character's family name in the game, right? We can just do that? Please say we can do that.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Shei-kun posted:

They never say our character's family name in the game, right? We can just do that? Please say we can do that.

Elsa's family name is never revealed, and given the personality the thread wants us to have this run, it fits incredibly well! Lady Elsa Vetinari it is!

Also according to the polls, you all really like Rowan so she'll be our girlfriend this run!

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
for those who've played before, what are the rules on spoilers for this thread? okay if tagged, or not okay at all?

gegi fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 28, 2016

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Spoilers are fine as long as they're tagged, and I reserve the right to put a stop to any conversation that is held entirely within black bars, because its no fun to read a thread about a game you're interested in only to find out that half of the discussion looks like a CIA document

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So this game is called Black Closet and it takes place in a school...is it the Chokee? Should we call Matilda for help?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
We must be Vetinari.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So this game is called Black Closet and it takes place in a school...is it the Chokee? Should we call Matilda for help?

We must be Miss Trunchbowl.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Will you be showing off every character's route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

This is a mystery setting, we should get our noire on and be as broody and monologue filled as possible.

• Locked thread