Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Choose the "Noir" option in every conversation.

"Missing locket, they said. A locket that can no longer hang around a neck, because this cruel world has swallowed it away. And then, before you know it, you don't have a neck anymore either."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Student Council President?
Minions?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

JT Jag posted:

We are an imperious Ice Queen who rules the Student Council with an iron grip, deigning to be favorable only to the most loyal and deserving.

You know the "refined girl" archetype in anime that does the 'fufufufufu' laugh while daintily covering their mouth with their hand? That's us in this playthrough

Why waste our own effort laughing when we have minions to laugh for us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPlpXDUBSPQ

But seriously, this is a good game; the cases can start to get a little repetitive on a second playthrough, since you'll already have seen most of the ways they can turn out, but there's enough randomness that managing your resources to deal efficiently with whatever comes up remains an interesting challenge. I haven't played through Rowan's route yet so I'm interested to see how that turns out.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 29, 2016

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Week 1 - September 5th-7th

[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348890/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_00.12_[2016.01.30_13.25.21].jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348891/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_00.16_[2016.01.30_13.25.47].jpg[/IMG]

Our first case! Since this is case #1, this one is fairly simple. Cases start off pretty straightforward, but as the game goes on they'll get more and more complex. We might get this exact same "missing object" case later on, but it'll be far more complicated and take longer to solve. For now though, this should be fairly easy!

[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348892/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_00.24_[2016.01.30_13.26.01].jpg[/IMG]

This here is the bulk of the game. We select a target, select an action and assign a minion. The task then goes into the box on the left. As you can see we have enough space for each minion to complete an action and right now there's no real reason not to use all of our available resources.

Now seems a good time to talk about our minions and their skills. As we saw from their introduction, each girl has their own personality and their own way of going about things. The little coloured icons on their portraits are their skills. Going clockwise, the green one is Social, blue is Observation, grey is Stealth and red is Intimidation. Althea is a jack of most trades, master of none. Her skills are pretty well rounded except for stealth which is the lowest of any of the girls. Thais is our muscle, with the highest intimidation score of any one of our minions. She also has decent observation so she'd make a good guard if we needed one! Vonne is a stickler for the details and has the highest observation out of our minions, as well as pretty good social skills. Mallory is our talker, with the highest social skill out of anyone. Predictably her intimidation score is the lowest. Finally we have Rowan, who is good at stealth and observation and not much else. She won't be winning the debate competition any time soon but nobody will ever know she was there to begin with.

[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348894/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_00.54_[2016.01.30_13.26.53].jpg[/IMG]

First, I assign Rowan to check out the chem lab. You never know, maybe the hairband was just misplaced and there's no real mystery here? Next, Mallory gets to have a friendly chat with Bobbi. We could also Harass and Stalk her but mechanically you always want to Question people involved in a case first. There is no penalty for failure, you just find out less than you could have, and doing so reveals the targets' stats so its a relatively safe bet if you're not in a rush. As you can see on the Question button, there are four icons. Social, Stealth and Observation. The ones on the left are what skills our minion will be using. On the left, the skills the target will be using. So to question someone, our minion has to roll social vs social in addition to observation vs stealth to get a success.

[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348895/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_01.21_[2016.01.30_13.27.31].jpg[/IMG]

Assigning every available minion to question the targets is pretty much the best idea in this situation. For one, it reveals all their stats so you know what you're up against. Secondly, on a success you get vital information that will help the case, and finally, such easy cases are a great way to rat out a traitor early. These rolls are not that difficult at all, so if someone messes up a roll that they, by all rights, should be succeeding at, you have a traitor candidate. I should have really assigned Vonne to searching duties here but I didn't think about it at the time for some reason!

[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348896/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_01.27_[2016.01.30_13.27.43].jpg[/IMG]

Time to roll! As well as skill vs skill, there's also a random chance dice roll on every action. This can be a real boon when you're doing something that's way out of your depth, as a lucky roll can mean the chance between success and failure. There are other ways to increase your chances of course but we don't have any of those just yet, and these rolls are so easy there'd be no point in using them anyway. Of course, just because your rolls and skills are good, if there's nothing to find, you won't come away with anything. But now we know that there's no point searching this area any longer, so we can use Rowan's skills for other things.

[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348897/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_01.36_[2016.01.30_13.27.55].jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348898/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_01.45_[2016.01.30_13.28.04].jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348899/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_01.53_[2016.01.30_13.28.12].jpg[/IMG]

Our first round of questioning went extremely well! Everyone succeeded which means that we can treat the information we got as reliable and useful. Marisol doesn't know what's going on but Harriett and Bobbi's testimony both point to Bobbi as our suspect! A productive day, don't you think?

[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348900/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_01.56_[2016.01.30_13.28.16].jpg[/IMG]

At the beginning of every day you'll get this screen. In every single case in the game, developments can happen. For example there's always a chance that during this case we would have gotten a report that said something along the lines of "Harriett found the headband, turns out it was just misplaced" and that would be the end of the case. For now though, I won't show this screen until there's actually something to report.

[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348901/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_02.09_[2016.01.30_13.28.29].jpg[/IMG]

Time to bring out the muscle. We know that Bobbi is acting suspicious and we have reason to suspect her so its time for Thais to do her thing. As you can see, we now know all of our targets' stats. A Harass action is Intimidation vs Intimidation and Thais' 40 definitely beats out Bobbi's 21. Therefore, even with random chance we know that if Thais fails this, she might be doing so deliberately. Its really important to pay attention to what happens in your first case, we must out our traitor on or before October 24th after all!

[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348903/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_02.40_[2016.01.30_13.28.59].jpg[/IMG]

Thais is off to do what she does best, while Rowan and Vonne are assigned to search rooms. Rooms have different stats to people, and also depend on the situation you're in. Since Vonne is allowed to be in Harriett's room (she'd want help looking for her lost item after all) she only has to roll her Observation vs the rooms' Cover. Rowan on the other hand, probably shouldn't be in Bobbi's room, so she also has to roll Stealth vs Visibility to make sure she isn't caught before she can roll the Observation vs Cover check.

[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348904/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_02.47_[2016.01.30_13.29.06].jpg[/IMG]

Thais successfully intimidates her target and success means she incriminates herself further. This isn't enough evidence to do anything yet but if Rowan and Vonne can find anything, we're in business!

[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348931/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_02.53_[2016.01.30_14.12.24].jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348906/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_02.58_[2016.01.30_13.29.17].jpg[/IMG]

Score! We've found the headband in Bobbi's room and we didn't get caught doing so! Getting caught in this situation wouldn't affect whether or not we find anything, but it would cause the council to lose karma. We start at 75 karma and it goes up or down depending on our actions. Get it to zero and Elsa is fired as student council president and expelled from school. Karma goes down if we're too heavy-handed, get caught ransacking students' rooms and classrooms, and basically for any action that makes us look bad. Karma is gained by solving cases and making smart decisions that make the council look good. In this instance we gained karma because we found Harriett's lost item and she's super happy with us!

[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348907/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_03.04_[2016.01.30_13.29.23].jpg[/IMG]

And here's our first....well, not a failure, but too close to call. Given the success we've had so far this could be considered grounds to suspect Vonne of being our traitor but looking at the numbers it really was close. Of course, it could always be that she's getting close rolls on purpose. We'll have to wait to find out.

[IMG]http://lpix.org/2348908/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_03.08_[2016.01.30_13.29.28].jpg[/IMG]

A delivery! Whatever could it be? We'll find out next time!

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 30, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

When I tried to play this game the first time I was confused by the whole traitor thing. I guess I'm too trusting, I didn't think the game would have one of my agents fail all the time on purpose!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

Thais successfully

I'm sorry Fae, but I think you have Aphasia. You're using words that have no business being used together. Even if this is a different playthrough, Stream Thighs is a big enough gently caress up to somehow infect this one.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Important question, does your traitor always fail you?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Speedball posted:

Their odds are stacked hilariously high against them. From what I've seen, the best they'll do is "too close to call" with a very, very rare chance of victory. It's supposedly different from traitor to traitor though, so some might be really subtle about it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It'd be clever if the traitor occasionally turned in false successes that led you in the wrong direction.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I guess once you identify the traitor you put them on supply closet duty from then on.

Unless they can somehow fail at that too...

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Speedball posted:

I guess once you identify the traitor you put them on supply closet duty from then on.

Unless they can somehow fail at that too...

Couldn't they just repeatedly get lemons or something?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if it's possible to raise your minions's stats.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if it's possible to raise your minions's stats.

From what little I played, it is, yes. You have to solve cases (preferably several days early in the week) then you get a couple points to spend here and there. Not many.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Speedball posted:

As far as I know, if there's any possibility of failure, either outright, or with a "too close to call" result, then the traitor will fail. However, if her stats are significantly higher than her target, to the point that even with random chance the traitor will still have higher stats than the target, then she will succeed.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Speedball posted:

Not always, I've streamed this game before and our traitor had 1 success, 1 failure and 13 unclear, so they don't even always fail! Some traitors are also more subtle than others and will get a failure/too close to call only when its close enough that it looks like you just got hosed by the dice roll. The rest of the time they'll succeed. Its actually kinda neat how it works!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, I actually picked out the traitor on my first playthrough by noticing an unusually low number of outright failures, because she tried to hide failure behind a "too close to call" result whenever she could.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Junpei Hyde posted:

Couldn't they just repeatedly get lemons or something?

Yes. That's exactly what happens.
When I played the demo, I got like 6 lemons in a row before I decided to ignore her completly. Having an unsubtile traitor really isn't fun.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Speedball posted:

From what little I played, it is, yes. You have to solve cases (preferably several days early in the week) then you get a couple points to spend here and there. Not many.

You obviously don't want to spend those points on the traitor.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I'm pretty sure the Traitor has a higher chance of bringing back lemons from the supply closet. Thankfully there's an achievement for holding a lemonade sale, which you can apparently do when you have a lot of lemons.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Faerie Fortune posted:

[timg]http://lpix.org/2348907/pythonw 2016-01-30 13-10-14-54.avi_snapshot_03.04_[2016.01.30_13.29.23].jpg[/timg]

And here's our first....well, not a failure, but too close to call. Given the success we've had so far this could be considered grounds to suspect Vonne of being our traitor but looking at the numbers it really was close. Of course, it could always be that she's getting close rolls on purpose. We'll have to wait to find out.

Umm... isn't that just because the band was in Bobbie's room all along, so there was nothing to find in this one?

Also, do we get to vote on what we want done with the perp?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Sadly not in this case, but there's a reason for that.

The game autosaves at the beginning of every week. That is also your only opportunity to save. Meaning that I can only save/load at the beginning of a week and unless I leave my game running between updates (I'm not doing that) I can't really ask for input on cases that come up at the beginning of the week. Sometimes you get cases on other days though and they carry over from one week to another, so if we get a case on Friday it'll still be there the next Monday and I can definitely ask for input there! This will almost definitely be happening with some of the later cases where things can get complicated so don't worry too much about not having much input just yet.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
If you decide to romance someone and they turn out to be the traitor, does that alter the ending or do you get some sort of unique situation or what? Seems to me that'd be fertile ground to cultivate the twist into some prime drama/tense moments.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Mechanical spoilers under here, just in case you want to discover them through the LP/your own play

If you max out the traitor's loyalty they will confess their traitorous nature to you the next week, you then have a choice whether to expel them from the council or to convince them to stop and trust that they will. But that's based on loyalty, the romance paths are based on what you say to your minions and how you treat them, and doesn't come into play until after the harvest festival when you've already outed your traitor. So as fun as it would be, I think the games flags are specifically timed so that you don't end up dating your traitor

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Faerie Fortune posted:

Sadly not in this case, but there's a reason for that.

The game autosaves at the beginning of every week. That is also your only opportunity to save. Meaning that I can only save/load at the beginning of a week and unless I leave my game running between updates (I'm not doing that)

If you close the game during the week it'll give you the option to make a temporary save which is auto-resumed the next time you start the game, so you don't have to leave it running forever. This won't help if you're trying to play on your own at the same time as playing with the thread though...

about traitors

There can be MAJOR plot differences sometimes based on whether you're dating the traitor or not.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

It only does a quicksave when it feels like it, as far as I tried -- and believe me, I tried. I can't seem to figure out what causes it to prompt you to make a quicksave. I've tried quitting in the middle of the week and it just warns me about unsaved progress being lost so if there's some kind of magic that I'm not using someone please tell me so I can get some thread interaction with the cases going

WOW NEVERMIND HOLY poo poo

Okay so if you use the "quit to menu" button like a sane person, it doesn't save your progress but if you alt+f4 or use the x button in windows to quit, then it asks you holy poo poo this changes everything

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 31, 2016

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Faerie Fortune posted:

It only does a quicksave when it feels like it, as far as I tried -- and believe me, I tried. I can't seem to figure out what causes it to prompt you to make a quicksave. I've tried quitting in the middle of the week and it just warns me about unsaved progress being lost so if there's some kind of magic that I'm not using someone please tell me so I can get some thread interaction with the cases going

The most consistent way to get a quicksave is to play in windowed mode, and just click the standard red X button to close it. That's when it'll ask to do a suspend save or something.

My testing shows it'll work pretty much everywhere but the title screen (for...obvious reasons it won't offer to quick save but ask if you're sure you wanna quit) and the save/load screen (where it just quit instantly without warning).

EDIT: Yeah, I don't blame you, this is an extremely poorly implemented and documented feature, but man is it handy when you get it going.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Interesting that even your best searcher could get completely rooked by random chance.

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...
As I have learned from my own Horrid luck, RNG is a mistress you don't want to cross. Everyone rolls a 1 sooner or later, and some more often than others. That doesn't stop odds being stacked in the traitor's favor to screw with the results though.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Oh boy, a Black Closet LP. I enjoyed playing this game a lot when it came out, though I haven't been able to return to it lately due to computer issues. The new art style they added a while back is pretty neat, though I think I like the old better in some cases. Are you going to show off the Custom Campaign mode, too?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I'm not going to do custom mode myself but my good buddy ChaosArgate will be streaming a custom campaign later today at 6pmEST/11pmGMT where I will be featuring! So feel free to come along and join in for that but there will be spoilers past where we are in this LP both in the game and in the things we will be discussing on stream so if you want to go into this LP blind then maybe avoid it!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

I'm not going to do custom mode myself but my good buddy ChaosArgate will be streaming a custom campaign later today at 6pmEST/11pmGMT where I will be featuring! So feel free to come along and join in for that but there will be spoilers past where we are in this LP both in the game and in the things we will be discussing on stream so if you want to go into this LP blind then maybe avoid it!

We're going live shortly, tune in if you like!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Some context*

context may not contain context, it might just be a veiled trap by liquidypoo and I because we'll be lonely in this pit of madness thanks Fae

Coiler12
Jul 25, 2010
The LP's got me back into the game, although right now I'm kind of--stuck. Spoilers because it's far past the current point in the LP.

It's the infamous steam tunnels case-I found the entrance, but any attempt to search it is marked in the odds as "Impossible 100% failure chance", and my previous attempts have only gotten Rowan burned.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Coiler12 posted:

The LP's got me back into the game, although right now I'm kind of--stuck. Spoilers because it's far past the current point in the LP.

It's the infamous steam tunnels case-I found the entrance, but any attempt to search it is marked in the odds as "Impossible 100% failure chance", and my previous attempts have only gotten Rowan burned.

If you stake out the entrance, you'll get a +10 bonus for stealth the next time you go in, I think. The steam tunnel case is brutal, so what you should do is run in and out of the supply closet repeatedly so you can stack a ton of items to make it easier to go down there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Black Closet Custom Campaign

After a certain point in the game, I think after wherever the demo ends, you can start a new game with custom minions. So there’s really not too much to say about this mode; you’re given 5 minions that you can rename and set a different image for, whether it be a randomly generated minion or a custom picture that you made yourself. The stats on these minions are randomly generated when you load the campaign screen and as far as I can tell, there’s no way to reroll for stats. There’s also no traitor in this mode and no story either. The game lasts for x number of weeks, which you can set yourself. I usually leave it at 6. You can also set how many cases you take on per week and the general difficulty level. Some examples of custom campaigns that I’ve made:

Fae and Friends:

DK Krew:

Team Ocelot:

Googly Closet:

There’s a lot of room for creativity and fun with your minions; you can have a bunch of friends working together to solve mysteries at this school, or you can go with a fun theme, such as the DK Krew. The lack of a traitor is really disappointing though, at least for Team Ocelot since you know everyone would be a traitor on that team.

Everyone’s relationship quotes there are also not just flavor text! It affects the game very slightly on weekends. On weekends in this mode, two random minions will have a little event with each other determined by their relationship. Depending on how much the two characters like each other, they may hang out and do something fun, which lowers stress. If they aren’t too fond of each other, they might get into a bit of an argument over the weekend and raise some stress.

Speaking of getting into arguments, the one unique case type I’ve seen in custom closet mode is where two of your minions will refuse to work with each other in the week, so they’re removed from your minion list to become the primary “suspects” in their own case where you have to resolve their fight. Presumably they’ll leave entirely if you fail the case, but generally, you can just go Question minion A -> Persuade minion B to resolve the case. Still, that takes up at least 2 goddamn days and you’re already down 2 minions until they get their problems sorted out. Also, this special case doesn’t count towards your case totals for the week, so you’ll end up with 3 cases that week and it sucks. I’m not gonna go over the other cases you can see because it’s the standard fare and I don’t wanna step on Fae’s toes though.

The last thing to note is that you can send some minions to go relax at a fair sometime in the week whenever it opens so you can lower their stress, which builds up fairly quickly because everyone’s loyalty is set to 20 by default and there’s no way to modify it.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 3, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What is the max loyalty? Is it hard to boost?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I think it's 45 for most minions, 50 for your romantic/friendship interest. It's not hard to boost, it's just for the early game of the campaign, you get events to raise Loyalty with a minion. In custom campaigns, those just straight up don't happen.

EDIT: And just as a reminder, Loyalty is basically the "Max Stress" a minion can have before they're forced to rest (by just not showing up for a day)

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 3, 2016

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Coiler12 posted:

In addition to what ChaosArgate said, keep in mind that you can assign multiple minions to a single task and it'll use the highest relevant stat from each of them. This can be useful for high-difficulty tasks that check multiple stats, if for example one of your characters has the best Observation but a different one has the best Stealth. I'm not sure if the game ever makes it clear you can do that: I only noticed it was possible by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ChaosArgate posted:

If you stake out the entrance, you'll get a +10 bonus for stealth the next time you go in, I think. The steam tunnel case is brutal, so what you should do is run in and out of the supply closet repeatedly so you can stack a ton of items to make it easier to go down there.

When I played through this game that was loving hellish. I had a minion in the supply closet every single day for over two whole loving months and didn't get a single observation item, not even one, so I was banging my head against the walls to pass the check on a 10% chance to be "too close to call".

• Locked thread