Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's been such a slow day at work that I've made it to chapter 15 of the XCOM/Stargate SG-1 fanfic.

I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

CrazyLoon posted:

Hopefully, in XCOM2 the condition to researching alien corpses could be: "You have to have one soldier pick it up and lug it around, or take it back to the Skyranger, in order to get the option of dissecting it back at base." Or at least, that would be a cool thing to mod in for the realism folks anywho.

It seems like a number of mission types still have kill everything as a win condition, it'd be interesting to do away with that in a mod and make it so no matter what you're gonna be outgunned with escalating reinforcements. Couple that with having to physically collect things could make for some interesting strategy as long as it doesn't get too repetitive hucking poo poo across the battlefield.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Coolguye posted:

Hey I live in Kansas and the thing all you guys forget is the word "tried". The reason you must say this is because even in the demons and dragons big corp republican hellhole folks seem to think this place is, that proposal got laughed out of the state senate because the system isn't perfect but it generally works. It's like you are offended that someone even thought of a thing, which is way more oppressive than anything that's been proposed.

So thanks for being insensitive clods but I'd rather talk about OpenXCOM and all the cool stuff that project is doing and also it is 110% ok to talk about in this thread because it is XCOM and XCOM is good.

Ps: snake tits
Time for a new OpenXcom mod:

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

SupSuper posted:

Time for a new OpenXcom mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoS1MCF8AeI

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

#3 has a pretty solid grasp on human nature.
I mean, it worked right? Despite all the quality of life improvements and cool new features Vipers remain one of the most talked-about things in the whole game even after several months. And you can't deny they've garnered lots of attention the series might otherwise have missed.

In a way, we're already playing right into Ethereal #3's hands.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Dog: WOOF!

The dialog feels real.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Vib Rib posted:

I mean, it worked right? Despite all the quality of life improvements and cool new features Vipers remain one of the most talked-about things in the whole game even after several months.

"one of the most talked-about things" = "circle-jerked over by a handful of weirdos"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I kinda wonder whether victory will really mean victory here. Like I can see an ending where you've ended Project Avatar or whatever and there's widespread revolts throughout the world, and the Advent leadership is dead... but there's still millions upon millions of aliens still occupying the globe, and you've only dealt a temporary setback to their plans.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fangz posted:

I kinda wonder whether victory will really mean victory here. Like I can see an ending where you've ended Project Avatar or whatever and there's widespread revolts throughout the world, and the Advent leadership is dead... but there's still millions upon millions of aliens still occupying the globe, and you've only dealt a temporary setback to their plans.
Even better if it's left ambiguous whether we did the right thing at all :jihad:

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Fangz posted:

Then we repair the warp drive of our ship and travel to the home world to fight the leaders. XCom 2: Right Back at You coming Winter 2016!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Even better if it's left ambiguous whether we did the right thing at all :jihad:

Taking in the symbolism of the sectoid head logo, whose human heads turn into skeletons, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say...yeah, anything's better than the human race going extinct lol.

But it's true that it'd be interesting, if the alternative to extinction is not all that rosy, even if satisfying.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'll name one of my heavies Duke Nukem and he'll make those alien bastards pay, baby! It's time to kick rear end and I'm all out of ambiguity baby

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In the end, XCOM frees earth, and uncovers coordinates to similarly occupied planets. Now Humanity has reverse engineered warp drive, and they're pissed.

They can even reuse the title XCOM Alliance :v:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hopefully there will be dogs in XCOM3.

Or maybe someone can mod dogs into 2?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I kind of hope to see the reveal from the ending of Enemy Unknown come back - the idea that the invasion was meant to be a test of humanity to prepare us/use us against a much greater threat looming on the horizon that even the Ethereals feared.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Danaru posted:

In the end, XCOM frees earth, and uncovers coordinates to similarly occupied planets. Now Humanity has reverse engineered warp drive, and they're pissed.

They can even reuse the title XCOM Alliance :v:

Lol...to think, I didn't have to do all that IRC simming and just had to wait two more decades.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Rhymenoserous posted:

In the original you could huck peoples bodies around.

Whenever I captured an alien I'd drag it back to the skyranger where a rookie with a shock prod could smack it any time they woke up (Because they could wake up in the original).
It's often forgotten you never had to kill all the aliens in original X-COM, you could at any point say "gently caress this", manually recover any aliens/artefacts back to the Skyranger and abort. Well ok it was the more boring option, but maybe you'd rather just get a headstart on Plasma research than try to hopelessly shoot all those fuckin' Cyberdiscs with your puny human bullets.

Rhymenoserous posted:

X-Com remastered would be something I'd totally play. The modern games have the occasional "And then catastrophy struck" moments. But really nothing compares to kicking the skyranger door open, and an etherial that's right across the street immediately panics the blaster bomb toting dude into nuking the entire squad.
I think it's the strictness of the shots. In XCOM shots can only "hit" or "miss". They can never "miss and end up critting the fully-armored Commander sitting on the other side of the map".

We toyed with the idea of an X-Com Remastered back when the IP was well and truly dead, but I don't think there's any chance of that now. Maybe they'll hire us when they're on their 5th game and in need of a cheap "back to the roots HD remake" cashgrab. :v:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is OpenTFTD at a point where it can be completed by us complete scrublords mere mortals yet?
That's a feature.

(yes TFTD is fully playable in the nightlies)

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Colapops posted:

I kind of hope to see the reveal from the ending of Enemy Unknown come back - the idea that the invasion was meant to be a test of humanity to prepare us/use us against a much greater threat looming on the horizon that even the Ethereals feared.

When did they say that? I thought the Ethereals were just after a Transcendence victory like their mysterious predecessors managed, but which they couldn't achieve because they were too physically weak?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Colapops posted:

My theory is that the ending from Enemy Unknown did happen and The Volunteer returned to earth (teleporting away at the last moment) and is new leader of the Advent/Alien forces. He saw into the future and knows what is coming and figured the mixing of Human and Alien DNA was the only way to survive it. The first thing he did was take out XCom since he knew they'd stand in his way and that is why we have the "XCom lost" aspect of the story.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"one of the most talked-about things" = "circle-jerked over by a handful of weirdos"
Do you really think the reaction's been limited to such small groups as this thread?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 31, 2022

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It's a cookbook!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

CrazyLoon posted:

Taking in the symbolism of the sectoid head logo, whose human heads turn into skeletons, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say...yeah, anything's better than the human race going extinct lol.

Suure, believe in that XCOM propaganda tape why don't you.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, for the goons that read the book that handles what happens before the game itself, did the aliens start "culling" the human populace or have they gone for a relatively peacefull occupation?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
My body is ready to recieve all the xeno scum shooting one can humanly possible. :awesome:

One thing I really want is to someone mod the weapon progression so I can keep playing with basic weapons while having upgrade bonuses. Like, all those guns in classic or x-com 2 look like loving toy guns compared to how BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! basic guns are (basically reskin / re-sound every weapon to starter equivalents and let me be happy).

I wonder if anyone modded that to EU? Google isn't helping me, neither the Nexus. :smith:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

XCOM sympathizers are the Dees/Alex Jones crowd of the 2030's! :tinfoil: :catdrugs:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Fangz posted:

Hopefully there will be dogs in XCOM3.

Or maybe someone can mod dogs into 2?

Replace gremlins with dogs, change absolutely nothing else.

I want my dogs to hack things.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Replace gremlins with dogs, change absolutely nothing else.

I want my dogs to hack things.

Day 1 DLC.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A houndmaster class that detects enemies through walls passively, sics their dog on enemies to make them bleed, delivers unpinned grenades through hallways to drop at enemies' feet, pins an enemy down by biting their leg or other stuff might be interesting.

Humanity's Best Friend!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

an entire team consisting of hounds and shivs

bonus points if the dogs are carrying laser swords ala sif

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

an entire team consisting of hounds and shivs

bonus points if the dogs are carrying laser swords ala sif

They've been evasive on whether or not SHIVS are in this game. I mean, they probably will be? Firaxis didn't even want to admit they had blaster bomb launchers back when EU was in development.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Something like shivs are Shen's last gift. Has to be. Unless its androids.

How do you recruit rooks? Does it cost intel or supplies or both or what?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, for the goons that read the book that handles what happens before the game itself, did the aliens start "culling" the human populace or have they gone for a relatively peacefull occupation?

People are vanishing, aliens blame it on XCOM terror-bombings.

The book is awful.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

LordNat posted:

My theory is that the ending from Enemy Unknown did happen and The Volunteer returned to earth (teleporting away at the last moment) and is new leader of the Advent/Alien forces. He saw into the future and knows what is coming and figured the mixing of Human and Alien DNA was the only way to survive it. The first thing he did was take out XCom since he knew they'd stand in his way and that is why we have the "XCom lost" aspect of the story.

Could be, but Jake has specifically and literally said that the universes where we won are 'safe' and they didn't want to 'take that away from people'.

There's probably going to be some sort of twist, but I think it won't involve taking away our wins.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Sylphosaurus posted:

Peaceful, but sinister. People are disappearing but not enough to rouse public ire, just the occasional person who wont let it go, also;

Darkrenown posted:

People are vanishing, aliens blame it on XCOM terror-bombings.

The book is awful.

The aliens blame alot on XCOM. As for the book itself, its serviceable but completely passable. Cut and dry military stuff with an xcom paintjob. The really interesting part is the contagion and the zones that have been flagged as such. It'll be a shame if that's not a plot point in the game.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 30, 2016

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I watched the first episode of Colony the other day and boy oh boy did Firaxis and USA Network drop the ball on cross-promotional advertising.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Something like shivs are Shen's last gift. Has to be. Unless its androids.

How do you recruit rooks? Does it cost intel or supplies or both or what?

Rookies are 35 supplies unless you have a continent bonus that makes them cost 10 supplies, and there's a Dark Event that doubles the cost. You can also get rookies as a reward for some scanning sites.

Advanced soldiers can be got as a mission reward or they can occasionally be purchased at XCOM HQ at the start of the month for a certain amount of supplies, or from the Black Market for a certain amount of Intel.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Rygar201 posted:

XCOM sympathizers are the Dees/Alex Jones crowd of the 2030's! :tinfoil: :catdrugs:

Oh my god can someone commission Dees to make an xcom 2 ad.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Hell Yes. I am Ready for that hot Sectoid Load. Fill me with your Hot Load, Solomon !!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thyrork posted:

The aliens blame alot on XCOM. As for the book itself, its serviceable but completely passable. Cut and dry military stuff with an xcom paintjob. The really interesting part is the contagion and the zones that have been flagged as such. It'll be a shame if that's not a plot point in the game.

The art book seems to indicate that the contagion zones are indeed a thing, and may have something to do with the Avatar Project.