Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bremen posted:

To those not watching, the devs just had a soldier run up to a corner, revealed a chryssalid, and it ran over to the soldier and stabbed him on its reveal move.

Oh god nooooooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The best is gonna be when you run up to save a civilian from a Cryssalid and it's a Faceless. LOL welcome to X-COM Lyfe you sorry son of a bitch.

Edit: still a ranger with Blade Storm and a good sword can clown the 'Lids all day.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There's probably going to be a mod to work undersea stuff into the base game.

X-Com: Rising Tide.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vib Rib posted:

I mean, it worked right? Despite all the quality of life improvements and cool new features Vipers remain one of the most talked-about things in the whole game even after several months.

"one of the most talked-about things" = "circle-jerked over by a handful of weirdos"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Any reviewer that complains about the pauses while the CPU tries to figure out a good strategy should be kicked in the taint. I would much rather wait ten seconds and have the AI make a good move then for it to rush and be an idiot.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

AegisP posted:

That plasma grenade just vaporized a third of that building .

YES! I loved this in the original XCom: UFO DEFENSE. Bring that poo poo on. Blow up all the buildings! Cover the map in smoke...count the dead and head back to the Skyranger. Earth! Freedom! Forever!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ok I'm gonna mod the Skryranger mission briefing to have classic rock songs playing from the PA.

Long Tall Sally and Fortunate Son is guaranteed, can I get some other suggestions?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's exactly as robust as I can be bothered to make it. It's going to be a mod, one that realistically will be shut down within a day because it's full of non-authorized copyrighted content (the fact that it's a free mod and I'm going to slightly distort the music so that it sounds like it's coming out of the helicopter's speakers might buy me a little time)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Could it be made so it just pulls for a preset, intially empty folder? That way you are only putting the framework up, downloaders can fill it with what they want. That would be perfectly legit AFAIK

I thought about this and yeah, I might do it assuming I can tell XCOM2 where to look for files to load. It's a lot of dang work though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

a cow posted:

I guess I'm getting a little annoyed at "I'm not pirating but I'm happy to buy it for half-price at release from anywhere"

Well I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, and also I used the savings to buy the drat overpriced season pass. Chill out.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I gift you all with the call-sign "Rumbledore" for your best Psi-Operative.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Actually taking a game about desperately riding the edge and barely scraping by and turning it into yet another boring power fantasy about saving the world kind of sucks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Super No Vacancy posted:

also do mods gently caress with getting achievements?

Straight from Jake Solomon: no

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also some additional Solomon's Wisdom:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Somebody mod in some new faces, including old people, ASAP. These suckers need work.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There are very few games that can withstand a daily 12-hour assault on the critical path and not crumble within a few days.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I am sorry if this has been answered already but I just researched level 2 weapons and my dudes are still using level 1 weapons and I am apparently too stupid to figure out how to upgrade them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ZenVulgarity posted:

Sword rangers I found are really good early and kind of blow late

They work really well in pairs. Two late-game sword rangers are about 4x as good as one of them. Untouchable means they murder their way though pods and can't be touched by return fire.

Tenzarin posted:

I don't see the point of the conceal ranger. The perk that gives aim and crit if the ranger starts the ambush but I perfer to start all my ambushes with a grenade for the armor shredding and dmg to all. Overwatch really is hit or miss on the ambush because they get to dash right away.

Uh you shouldn't put them on Overwatch. They stay concealed so let them reposition and strike. And they can conceal themselves one more time if you're in a bad sitch.

I'm wondering how many of the "I don't like/understand why they did X with this class..." posts are people who aren't "getting" why they are the way they are. All of the high-end classes are incredibly, insanely good.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 8, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MisterBibs posted:

It is their fault, if they didn't do their due diligence on what players wanted and didn't want out of their luxury entertainment product. If popular player mods are ripping out entire game mechanics, there's obviously something wrong with those game mechanics.

There's always a contingent of people who mod themselves infinite health or bullets in every game because they aren't able to accept anything less than a total power fantasy. It doesn't mean a drat thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

RBA Starblade posted:

Ok this retaliation mission is bullshit. The map is five sprints long, so that's five turns that civvies die. On top of that they're running from me, so they're running and killing so I can't loving catch up.

ProceduralMaps.txt right here.

I got 2 maps that I considered egregiously unfair. Out of about 34 missions. Not bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Honestly my one criticism that I feel absolutely legit about voicing is that for a game that focuses on customization they don't have nearly enough faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mr. Whale posted:

Playing on commander, they seemed more suicidal than threatening. A lot of the time they either miss their target or only do 2 damage to them. I think they get replaced pretty quickly with other advent variants too.

Yeah, uh, they loving straight up murdered (from full health) 2 of my dudes in one turn. I'm terrified of them.