Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, for the goons that read the book that handles what happens before the game itself, did the aliens start "culling" the human populace or have they gone for a relatively peacefull occupation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, after watching Beagle play around with the Holo decoys I can see a nerf coming in the near future.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, operation "Sweaty Snake" is the best drat operation name ever.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I just hope that I can scale the game down enough to be able to run this on my old, lovely rig that I have. I just can't afford to upgrade right now..

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Apparently (lore spoilers) Vipers are the original form of Thin Men. I am glad that we finally have a game that shows its support by having Trans snake characters
Has anyone seen the Viper autopsy report in some of the streamers? I'm starting to wonder if all these fine "gene treatments" that the aliens have been handing out to the populace has some "unintended" results among the female part of their patients.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Why can't it be both? The thing I always wanted from X-COM sequels was more diverse technology trees, but we have yet to really get that.

I want it to be possible to put off lasers and make better ballistic guns, or go into lasers early and then get something beyond plasma.
Yeah, I'm actually a bit disappointed that plasma seems to be the final weapon tier this time around as well. I was kind of hoping that we'd get an entire weapon line based on the Alloy Cannon this time around but it's all beam plasma guns, unless Firaxis has managed to keep a fourth weapon tier secret.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

splifyphus posted:

They haven't. There are still three tiers of firearms and armor. The order that you can get some items is pretty random though.
Yeah, I didn't think so either but who knows, maybe it'll get added in a mod or an official expansion.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Somebody mod in some new faces, including old people, ASAP. These suckers need work.
The Aliens turned all the old people into Soylent Green/Slurm. Can't beat that kind of retirement plan when you are the head of a goverment.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Speedball posted:

Woof, some non-Beagle streamer failed the tutorial by overwatch-creeping his troops while in concealment as a timer was counting down to get a bomb disabled. Wasted way too many precious turns trying to wipe out aliens instead of moving his guys close to the bomb to turn it off.

If there's one thing the game needs to hammer into rookie players, it's that Get to the Objective missions mean get to the loving objective.
Nah, it's funny as hell watching all these overwatch creepers getting their knickers in a twist when they are faced with an actual timer.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Robzilla posted:

Not like we've not dealt with timers before on Bomb Missions
Those kind of missions were quite a minority in EU, now that they are far more numerous there seems to be a lot of people making GBS threads themselves since they can't spend 25+ turns on creeping slowly across the map.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
How the hell can unpacking the drat game take 51 minutes?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

First Guerrilla Ops choice, my options include Dripping Moan and Sweaty Whisper. :wiggle:
I got myself a mission called "Sweaty Swamp". Best drat name, ever!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, a lot of players really need to learn when it's time to cut your losses and evacuate but I guess it goes against the whole "must ace all missions :pwn:" mindset that seems to be pretty common.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Speaking of, what's a good build order?
Guerilla Tactics should be your first build since being able to upgrade from 4->5 troopers makes a world of difference in both your offence and survivability.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

We all miss Vahlen, she was xcoms greatest war criminal.
Agreed, Tygan is good and all but I kind of miss the matter of fact tone that Vahlen had when describing how she shoved a bunch of electrodes straight into a Sectoids cortex to see what would happen.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I really hope that the Anarchy's Children cosmetic stuff will drop soon. I want to field an entire band of punk rockers against our alien oppressors.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, I have to say that the entire "Ruler gets an action for each of yours" seems pretty drat unfun.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, I've just started a fresh game with the alien rulers and even though I've only encountered that loving snake I have to say that blending two different rulesets for enemy actions just doesn't gel for me. While it's probably a bit hyperbolic it does feel a bit like Firaxis are using Beaglerush's LP's as some kind of roadmap for gameplay "fixes".

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

MF_James posted:

I miss the meat grinder x-com was originally.
I still don't get the whole "Rookie meat grinder" that so many people keep refering to the original Enemy Unknown. Hell, I bought the game at release and while I had a higher mortality rate than you have in the newer XCOM's it sure as hell wasn't the lemming death march either. I guess it's more telling of how people approached the gameplay rather than the game itself.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

they mean the actual original xcom. :ssh:

MF_James posted:

Do you mean the new EU or the original 90s EU? I'm referring to the actual original game.
I meant the original from the 90's, it was called UFO: Enemy Unknown in my parts of the woods.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
The most cherished memory of TFTD hating you as a player is when you start your first mission on land and realize that the majority of your weapons do not work out of the water.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Another little wrinkle that TFTD threw at you was when you researched the gauss weapons and realized that they are not the infinite ammo weapons that laser weapons were.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I see that all the Pectoids got plastic surgery postwar to get themselves some proper lips.

Not gonna lie, I preordered the game the moment I got the notification from Firaxis.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, I´m kind of impressed how they´ve handled the whole reveal.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Also it looks like Jake Solomon isn't involved with this at all.
Apparently it´s Mark Nauta who is the Lead Designer on this game.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

DrManiac posted:

Oh wow the steam forum chuds are already declaring this as SJW garbage already for some reason. Like goddamn, Xcom was always a diverse worldwide organization.
In what way is this SJW according to the melted brains? Too many women or too many browns and blacks?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

BexGu posted:

Lol why do you care? Why do you want to bring drama from the Steam forums of all places instead of talking about a whole new Xcom that is changing up the formula?

I really wanna see more of the multiple different breach point system along with multiple chances to breach in missions.
Because what little we´ve seen I don´t even understand how you can manage to arrive at that conclusion but I guess that the chuds doesn´t need that much to grease their gears.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder how much drunker Bradford has gotten in the last five years
It´d be just fantastic if it turns out that Bradfords civilian gig after XCOM 2 turns out to be mayor of the city that the game is set in.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope that the big plot isn't something like "Elder fanatics are going to bomb the city council!" or "Oh no they're turning the psi network back on!" and it's instead "the Gleepgloop cartel's about to get a new shipment of ultracocaine and sell it in front of the alien elementary school" and "a drunk sectoid crashed a ufo, go arrest him"

It probably won't be but I'd like that
I wouldn´t be too surprised if the plot turns out to be a mix of both, to be honest.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Control Volume posted:

IF youre a "beagle-style" player, thatll easily turn into 30 hours
Beagle did tweet that he was excited for this title and that he was going to get to play it before release. If so, prepare for some hardcore overwatch creeping.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

jimmydalad posted:

Putting tranq rounds on a shotgunner like Godmother just seems really unfair. It reaches a point where she just decimates entire rooms and they still count as being knocked unconscious even though they're thrown halfway across the room.
That´s pretty much what I´ve done as well since she looked like a proper Alpha-strike character that focuses on deleting enemies in one shot. It does feel right in combination with her callsign, IMHO.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Good to see that cats at least survived the Advent purge of domesticated animals.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Whelp, apparently my laptop simply isn´t good enough to handle Chimera Squad, even though it handles XCOM 2 with War of the Chosen without a hitch. Guess I´ll just have to see if Geforce releases some patch or Firaxis manages to tighten up the code to allow my clearly inferior rig to run the darn game :v:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I really lost the habit of checking the system requirements for games since my gaming laptop has served me well for two years. Since it runs XCOM 2 without any problems I simply believed that Chimera Squad would be no problem, which turns out to have been a big mistake. Guess I´ll just wait and see if some patching will turn down the minimum requirements otherwise I´ll have to sit this one out until I buy a new laptop.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

The Deleter posted:

Check your graphics cards control panel, Chimera Squad loves to default to any integrated graphics cards you have for whatever reason.
I´m starting to suspect that you are right. Not sure how I´m supposed to force it to run the Geforce card instead. guess it´s time to start digging into tech support on forums again.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I have to thank the thread that showed me that the game defaulted to my laptops lovely on-board graphics card. I went into the Nvidia control panel and forced the Geforce card for everything and it worked just fine.

Quick question, are there any upgrades for Zephyr´s gauntlets?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Nope. She don’t scale too good.
Seriously? What the hell were the developers thinking because that sounds like a major oversight?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It's going to be fun comparing and contrasting these two games
I think I´ll watch goon reactions for it since it goes for goddamn 70 Euro on Steam!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that I´m a bit surprised that you don´t even get anything for going the extra mile and capturing faction leaders alive. You´d think that you would at least get some extra lore/interaction or anything but nope. Maybe the devs will do something about it later on but it was a bit of a disappointment when Icaptured the Iron Phoenix leader and didn´t even get as much as a "good job" for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Less turn limited missions would be one thing I'd like to see.

Yes, I am the turtle-man with excessive oversight-syndrome, but given that XCOM2 was even more front-heavy in difficulty than the first one, the extra turn limit in most of the things just made everything so random and reckless you were forced to RNG your way out most of the time. Its no longer chess, its Bloodbowl.

I'd like to at least see that the enforced "you must do it in X turns" goes away, unless its something organic or actually meaningful, like the killing civilians thing in the terror missions or some very specific reason why this needs to happen now.
No thanks, the death of the XCOM overwatch creep was the best thing to happen to the series.