Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Furism posted:

I hope there's not too much randomness around this and losing a game will mean that, ultimately, you made bad choices instead of just having bad luck.

Judging from what we've seen and what I can extrapolate from it, it's not going to be a case where a few cases of bad luck are going to cost you the game. You can probably even lose a couple of missions and be okay, nevermind losing a few soldiers.

The game is going to hurt between the matters of bad luck and bad decision making and I think the only reason you're going to ever lose the game is due to really poor decision making. XCOM is a series in which you make your own luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

Wow.
I don't know if I should cry, run, or say "I don't think that classifies as a good mood.".
Um... I'm sorry?

If he was in a bad mood, he'd just say "shut up Junpei" and nothing else. The fact that he wrote 7 paragraphs to give you some perspective of the hurdles you have to overcome should be considered a favor to you, not a rant to bring you down. You have to grow a thicker skin in face of criticism, otherwise you'll never get anywhere here.

But don't worry about asking questions with your mods. You're going to have to put in the leg work, but you can ask people like cooleye questions for getting around problems you might have and he or someone else like me might have patience to reply and help you get through the hurdle. This is people being nice. Game development is a harsh field.

Chiwie posted:

Edit: I'm not going to try and pretend to be a high speed creative smart guy, but maybe someone can point the kid in the right direction of a beginners coding YouTube series rather than spewing a couple of ranty paragraphs at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw

Junpei posted:

Actually, I am going to learn to code. So take that, Cristo wannabe!
That's wonderful! And something like

Junpei posted:

Things I want to mod in:
Medi-grenade (heals all allies in blast radius)
Chain Grenade (prevents enemies from moving)
Thunder Rounds (+1 damage, stuns organic enemies and disables mechanical ones)

Should be easy entry level things to mod in. Albeit, I'd probably change "chain grenade" into an "adhesive grenade" as I'm not sure how chains from a grenade would look or work realistically. And for thunder rounds, consider reducing damage as a tradeoff for stunning and disabling units.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Chiwie posted:

The ignore and report buttons are probably more useful tools to use then.

Why is there a problem with giving the kid some good advice on why he isn't getting the responses he's been wanting? Like, ignoring the kid is a lot more cruel than just giving it to him straight.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Some people feel like strategy games should be largely predictable. A lot of games have behind-the-scenes fudging to avoid that situation where you get put into a bad situation when you take what should be a safe shot. I personally like the unpredictability and scrambling to compensate for bad luck that is a central part of XCOM experience but it's also valid to not enjoy what amounts to "you did everything right and still got screwed" elements of strategy game design. It depends on what you're looking for.

That said if the biggest criticism of XCOM 2 is "it's XCOM 2" then that's a good thing.

Just because they like their games a certain doesn't mean they are immune to being ridiculed for liking things that way though.

And it is kind of telling that the editing room has some odd priorities sending the guy who likes shooters on the PS4 to play a PC turn-based strategy game.

I will say though, at least he researched his history, even if he didn't quite get that modding for XCOM was more of a miracle work than "made for it".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Space Pussy posted:

Well I hope Solomon nerfs the gently caress out of the mimic beacon because it basically trivializes legendary.

Everything we've seen up until this point just affects up to this point in the game. There are still aliens we haven't even seen yet.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The rookie.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Exposure posted:

Actually I think Beagle or maybe ChristopherOdd mentioned how the review builds are about a month old. Difficulty tuning was only finalized at the end of last month IIRC, so he might actually be playing the easy mode of Legendary if Mark's done further adjustments since the Beagle ambush nerf.

Beagle said he's been playing since a little before Christmas.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

lordsummerisle posted:

I found XCOM EU/EW a bit too easy on normal, but get my rear end handed to me on classic. What difficulty should I start XCOM2 on?

Legendary.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I tried to VPN Fallout 4, but ended up loving my poo poo over so much that I lost my pre-load and had to wait nearly a day extra just to redownload the game from start again.

Basically, I'd only do the VPN if I had a substantial gain from it and being forced to redownload the entire thing because it got corrupted tells me I just want to do it normally this time.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

Is that because you have a slow connection, or some other reason? I'm on 120mb/s (terrible awful comcast) so I downloaded the pre-load in under an hour, wasn't really paying attention to the exact time.

Or is it because you couldn't log in for a day, or something?

I am usually happy if I download 1MB/s. Norway is sadly not as good at internet as Sweden is and as luck would have it I am exactly two blocks away from a fiber enabled household. Maybe someday I can get that, but for now I have to settle with a max 20mb/s connection at a price for competitive 5mb/s. Yeah, it's that hosed.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

For all the people with GMG issues, you will have two keys in the email

1. This one is the preorder and should be done -second-
2. THIS one is the actual game and need to be put in first.

There are a lot of people having issues with it, oddly

It's the first piece of critical thinking necessary to qualify to play XCOM2.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

You seem like that guy that's in every infomercial. The one who's hands shake when he opens a jar of pickles then his house explodes or something while some guy on a voice over makes mundane tasks sound hard "Ever opened a pickle jar? Then you know how hard it is! Introducing the Pickle Master!"
It's not that I'm computer illiterate, it's that I get poo poo like this happening to me:

RedLobster posted:

Only a year to go until xcom is ready to play!

splifyphus posted:

Stuck downloading a 300mb patch at a trickle from Australia. poo poo's going to take forever.

Besides, I got the game earlier than most people anyway, since I live in Europe instead of America. There just wasn't anything to gain by VPN and too much to lose, due to data corruption.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Good taste in anime.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Whoever is making a list of goon soldiers, here is my contribution: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hjk4kna19cmwlr/Mordaedil.bin?dl=1

Not very funny looking.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

(This game is like the opposite of Darkest Dungeon. In DD, the best advice is "never start over, you can always recover," whereas it seems like XCOM 2 wants you to recognize when a loss is a loss and when it's time to pull the plug.)

I'm don't get how people can say this with a straight face as my experience with DD is a straight up despair spiral, while XCOM2 has the most gameable doom timer I've ever seen. I mean, unless you don't know about the big reset button.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

DD doesn't actually have a fail state. You'll never outright "lose" the game.

Is being unable to send anyone into a dungeon a failstate? Or did they fix that, it's been a while since I played and I stopped after my entire ensemble of adventurers were maxed out on horror and stuck in an endless loop of "take five steps inside the dungeon and go back outside because this isn't fun anymore."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

Hi!

It's me! Guy who can't hack at all in two campaigns! I just failed a 90% hack, continuing my unbroken streak!

This is some 1990s level copy protection broken game poo poo, what in the ever loving gently caress is going on.

Has anyone actually hacked anything in this game? I mean, on less than 100%?

Berious posted:

Speaking of which is there a way to stop the steam workshop auto updating mods? I had that guys mod and for a short while it broke games completely. He fixed it in a few hours but still it'd be nice to start a campaign and not have to worry about the mod creators going on a rampage.

Think I'm going to start over with a mod free game.
I don't think unsubscribing uninstalls the mod.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There's a mod window?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Orgophlax posted:

Does a soldier's VO change when they're shaken? My one ranger all of the sudden is giving very unsure of herself responses when I have her do something, like "O...OK. If you're really sure." She did get hurt pretty badly, though she's fully recovered, and I've taken her on 3 or 4 missions since then. How do you clear shaken status?

Have a mission go very well for them, not sure if it means you need flawless or if you need to have them kill an alien or more without taking fire.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Gortarius posted:

Man, does the game look any good at high settings? I'm mostly on a combination of high/medium and this looks like a PS2 game most of the time.

I would turn up the settings if the game didn't run so sloppily. MGS5 and Dying Light run smooth as butter on good settings but XCOM2 just feels so sluggish, I can't really pinpoint the reason why.

Hope this thing gets some patches.

It's really poorly optimized, though it will probably be fixed in a dedicated graphics card patch or in a game patch.

Also, it shouldn't look like a PS2 game, the PS3 is old enough to make fun of now.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Even coming from Firaxis you should not have to do this sort of thing for a $60 game or know that this needs to be done

Surely I'm not alone in thinking this
Pricetag of the game doesn't really matter much with regards to an optional feature in the game, arguably there are worse sins this game commits than not having a functioning ironman mode yet.

And even that is only a matter of a few patches to iron out the worst bugs and I don't feel like the game would magically have been better if they had disabled ironman completely until these patches were released. Video games are a bunch of very complicated systems strung together and the more complex it gets, the more likely it is to fall apart at the seams.

You might not be alone in thinking what you do, but what exactly are you arguing for here? Delaying the game more?

Lunethex posted:

There's a mod on the workshop now that makes the AWC retroactive so everyone will get their hidden perk no matter what.

I feel like the hidden perk is sort of a neat extra you should be happy you got, not mad that you didn't unlock on a character in the first place.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My sniper got covering fire as his bonus perk, does that perk work with long watch?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

Missions are procedurally generated. If it's generating when you start the mission, but then using the stored configuration when you load it from the disc, that's kind of understandable.

I assume the seed is generated from the game state at that point, but the conversion between generating the level from seed to an actual level is probably what takes so long the first time. The seed can later check if a level is already generated with those parameters and load the already generated result, if I understand their implementation properly.

This isn't something that the Unreal Engine was designed to do and it's kind of witch-craft that they were able to do it at all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh. So every soldier is supposed to get an AWC perk, but they don't always because of a bug? Figures.

It feels to me like they shouldn't get a free perk, but that is a thing I can live with honestly.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

Whyyyyyyyy can troops panic from taking normal damage?

Have you ever played Call of Cthulhu?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
All these mod scare things makes me wary of using the workshop for mods, other than to download, move out and immediately unsubscribe.

I wish more of these mods were on the nexus thus.

Nordick posted:

So, am I the only one here who actually kinda likes the super sleek tier 3 aesthetic? I mean I too think that the tier 3 stuff is the best looking, but I think the tier 3 has its own charm as well.

What I don't like though is the "windup" that plasma weapons do before shooting. It just makes the animations feel too long and it would feel more satisfying if the guns just went KCHOW right away. The beam itself is cool enough.

I mean, I like the looks of the third tier stuff, but it does contrast the whole resistance feel, which tier 1 and tier 2 and DLC outfits hits dead on.

Then again, I wish the game had 5 tiers to everything, but that's just me.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Peewi posted:

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but of the two people that have requested Nexus uploads in my Workshop comments, one didn't have the game and one hadn't set up a profile, kinda leading me to believe that they had pirated the game and still wanted mods.

They might very well be pirates, but I still argue the Nexus is a better place to put mods, if only because it won't outright break your game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Gortarius posted:

What I can't comprehend though is that... This is just as lovely as the previous game was at launch, but it doesn't look any better and it isn't a radical departure from it mechanically, so how'd they manage to gently caress it up this bad? Iiirc they eventually did fix up the first game so it was pretty stable and ran OK, so after unfucking the first game they went on to re-gently caress the codez they recycled for the second game, and now they are back to unfucking it all?

If video games were really all just about taking the previous game and building on top of it, we wouldn't be seeing any issues. The thing is that this is technically an entirely new game built from the ground up, evident in how a lot of minute details are different, such as line of sight, or more overt ones, such as the graphical department progressing slightly to stay as good as "you remember it". If you compare XCOM2012 to XCOM2016, you'll see that are visually distinct.

Otherwise, QA would have a really easy time testing bugs only from previous generation.

That said, it has shipped a tiny bit buggier than last release, but it's still fairly acceptable.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

splifyphus posted:

Watching Beagle get his poo poo stomped by Gatecrasher is really satisfying. Where's your 1800+ hours of long war now, tiny dog-man?

He's still playing it modded to be harder, isn't he?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If I want to make a simple mod such as having the line-of-sight indicator also give an indication of when you have a flank, what would I go looking for? Can I change the color directly from a file or would I need to make it in Photoshop?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

Totally agree. The free move for discovered pods is still a stupid as gently caress mechanic that warps the entire game to favor a style of gameplay that is really boring and exploity, which they tried to combat by slapping timers on top like a band-aid made of poo poo. The fact that everything also deals ludicrous damage, both player and aliens compounds that issue even more.
So you don't get that the "free" move the aliens get is to allow them a fighting chance or just face being shot down by your squad? I mean, I guess you could set up your squad to overwatch them, but overwatch has penalty to hit too, and the big difference is that your guys are already in cover. You might as well argue that units shouldn't be able to use cover and just have the game be a matter of shooting guys quickly with no strategy.

DatonKallandor posted:

Oh yeah and the UI is poo poo - holy crap is the XCOM2 UI amateur hour as gently caress especially considering the massive budget they have (no clear indicators which abilities end turns, how many actions they take, there detailed enemy ability/stat breakdown is gone, etc.).
I'm sorry, massive budget? Where was it said they had a massive budget?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Count Uvula posted:

Concealed overwatch actually has no penalty.

I know.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Odobenidae posted:

I think I found one of the "secret" advent crates that people were talking about a while ago.

Even after moving up to it I couldn't find a way to open it, maybe it was just a graphical glitch?

Press V to open chests and doors.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jon Do posted:

Modding question for increasing squad size:

Is there any reason that I would change \XComGame\Config\DefaultGameData.ini (to "m_iMaxSoldiersOnMission=6") and yet not get 6 soldiers default?

I keep trying to fix it, and it's real annoying, cause I'm not sure whether Gatecrasher should have 4 or 6 rookies now. So I've been making new campaigns, playing through Gatecrasher with 4, and then scanning until my first mission for testing.

I have the DefaultUI.ini "MaxDisplayedSlots=8" and the UI "Max Squad Size Fix" mod enabled as well. I mean, I guess I can scrap my whole mod stack and try this edit without it, but I don't see why that would help due to the nature of the edit. I'm confused as to why this doesn't seem to be working. None of the mods seems to edit DefaultGameData.ini.

I don't recall exactly where, but Beagle did mention during his early escapades with ini modding that there were other values that needed to be edited in order for the starting squad to actually change.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

H13 posted:

Right, so I've heard about XCOM but never played any. This one has me interested.

I'm assuming the game is hard as balls, especially to a newbie. However, other than "Not Being Experienced With XCOM" is there any disadvantage to grabbing XCOM 2 without having played any of the previous games?

None, but you might want to start out easy and work your way up. Also, remember, better cover is the difference between life and death.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

I wish this game used XCOM's engine or whatever =(

Literally still using Unreal Engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

SpookyLizard posted:

Y'know, I never really understood all the drama that came out of the mod scene in various games, but after putting up a few mods and getting some godawful comments, i'm starting to understand what happens. Like seriously you get free poo poo and you're gonna complain about dumb ancillary poo poo without so much as a "thank you"? It boggles the loving mind.

The only way to deal is to be sassy and/or ignore the negative feedback.