Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

This is something you'd see hanging on the wall of a Long John Silver's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I kind of hope to see the reveal from the ending of Enemy Unknown come back - the idea that the invasion was meant to be a test of humanity to prepare us/use us against a much greater threat looming on the horizon that even the Ethereals feared.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Hell Yes. I am Ready for that hot Sectoid Load. Fill me with your Hot Load, Solomon !!!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Beagle posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/pax2/v/38694034?t=2h17m30s

Replays and freecam (and tactical skirmish mode and more) confirmed for XCOM 2 on day 1 as part of Devmode. The replays feature an SC2-style feature where you can take over at any point in the replay and start playing the mission from that point. Keep in mind these replays are automatically generated even on Ironman missions and it will be possible to send these replays to people and host them online ala a lightweight savefile.

:shittypop::shittypop::shittypop:

clicking that link took me to part of the stream with the dev guys all talking about Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. was that intentional. also what else is known about multiplayer so far!!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Yeah, sorry! I actually meant to quote you, too.

I dunno what I'm hoping for from multiplayer based on what it was like in EU, but maybe it will be something great. I mean, EU multiplayer was fun but so limited in scope. I hope that there's just more this time, or modding can at least pump it up.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

meltdowns vs. middle schoolers. you've done good work, junpei.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I'm torn between staying a virgin and watching Beagle's stream.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Yeah but!! Right now he's just doing the early game stuff we've seen, and he has Putin van Doorn. It's so tempting.

edit: he's also pitting the Russian members of the chat against the Ukrainian members of the chat with Putin van Doorn vs. Ukrainian President Lincoln.

Colapops fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 1, 2016

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Bradford sits alone in the bar, drinking alone and talking to himself. That's truly X-Com.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Bradford can get mad at your troops leaving ADVENT burger wrappers everywhere. Perfect immersion.

ADVENT burgers are like Kaz's chemical burgers/Franken-burgers.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The ship ai kind of sounds like ADA from Zone of the Enders to me.

Why have you done this.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Shen's Gift DLC includes a new mechanized class: orbital frames. Two skill trees are Jehuty and Viper.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Modders please. You can even put tits on them I don't care.

You better not care, it would be well within canon!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Beagle talking about killing golliwogs in his bad Aussie accent. I thought he was Aussie himself? And how many times has he quoted Shrek over the course of today's stream?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Superstring posted:

Well, maybe not tits, but ahem something else.

Unlucky7 posted:

You may be thinking of dicks :v:

Nah, I was thinking Vic Viper had weird robo-boobs in addition to the cock-pit. It's been a while.

The weird stroke-speech before that was even better.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I really liked the X-Com MECs in Enemy Within, but I can't deny that the ADVENT mech troopers (do they still count as MECs?) look great too. They look like Apple's foray into the field of robotic soldiers. iMec.

Man I wish we had MEC suits again instead of the exoskeleton. :C

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

So the research you get from studying ADVENT mech troopers includes... BSODs. That's pretty great.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Ho ho ho. You all need to get on my level.

For I, you see, am too disabled to leave the house. Some days, I'm even too disabled to shitpost.

What this means is I'll get to play XCOM 2 until I basically can't.

let me have this there has to be an upside

I can always shitpost. What are you homebound for?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am sure that this has been asked before, but is there a chance for VPN fun if GMG sends their keys out early? I am more than happy to become a 4-second citizen in exchange for Xcom early

I thought Steam itself had cut out the ability to mess with stuff like that.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Kanos posted:

Beagle was having to force himself to build a non-Gunslinger sharpshooter because gunslingers are very powerful. Pistols are weaker than normal main guns but benefit fully from special ammo types and generate a tremendous volume of attacks that no other weapon can match, so they're really strong.

To be honest I'm sort of hoping there are mods to make the gunslinger into a standalone class. The versatility of a pistol in the context of this game is totally worth being separate from snipers.

Trilin posted:

The issue with blademaster is that while it is just a boring flat damage boost, it fuels so many of the other traits down the tree. Having +2 makes bladestorm better, it gets more mileage out of reaper and so on. Being flat damage means it becomes less and less of the final product as you move up in tiers, but with it your slash becomes the heaviest hitter for quite a long time. I think bringing a knife to a gunfight isn't as bad as beagle demonstrated.

This is the same way snipers (and to a lesser extent, heavies) were in EU/EW. There were skills that you'd take on your first few snipers simply because they were better at that stage of the game, just like how it was ssssort of a waste to get HEAT ammo and stuff super early on with heavies in Long War (or was that in base?). You'd start with the more generalized of the offered skills first. I always grabbed snap shot on my first couple of snipers and holo-targeting on heavies just because having the mobility with a sniper was so important to me before I got to the point in the game where I could have snipers sit back in the extraction zone and pick off enemies across the map with squadsight.

I see rangers being the same way, where you'll take blademaster on your first couple of rangers because of the extreme potency--and by the time that potency's started to thin out, you have other, newer rangers who can specialize into the other skills.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ok I'm gonna mod the Skryranger mission briefing to have classic rock songs playing from the PA.

Long Tall Sally and Fortunate Son is guaranteed, can I get some other suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbI0cMyyw_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaVUApDVuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSquiIVLhrQ

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The three biggest complaints I've seen about the game so far:

-performance
-mission round timers
-missed shots

Performance is a legitimate issue, so that one's fair, but it's like no one's ever played a game with RNG in it before. One of my friends is even refusing to buy the game until "they patch out the mission timers." :psyduck:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Beat the game. Ending is very DLC/expansion baity but that's to be expected.

Not sure if I want to play another campaign on a higher difficulty (I was only on normal) or wait a bit for the next big Long War-esque mods to come out first.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I've been playing again now that the full suite of DLCs are out. I knew the alien rulers were supposed to be difficult, which is fine on its own, but they are not especially fun to fight. There doesn't seem to be much to them: you either stunlock them with lucky RNG or they wipe you.

Have yet to work up to the Tower, but I could probably clear it easily at this point. I've been delaying for no particular reason.

edit: I also insta-killed Beta with that repeater mod in one save (I reloaded so I actually got a fight). That was unexpected.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Spudd posted:

Why can't you put modifications on SPARK's gun? Dude really needs a scope and autoloader.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=622863565

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

dud root posted:

Give me a Spark, mech, or SHIV, and I'll kill it on its first mission :cry:

Am I just bad at managing units with no cover, or are they bullet magnets for everyone else?

One of the "tricks" with the mechs is that while they can't technically take cover, you can still use line of sight to stop enemies from shooting at you. That's how I kept my MEC troopers alive in the last game and how I plan to do things with SPARKs.

edit: welp I just executed Alpha the same way I executed Beta with the same character and the same weapon. The repeater mod is apparently the way to go to kill the alien rulers!

Colapops fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 4, 2016

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:argh: I never get the insta-kill effect on the loving repeaters. I just beat Alpha to death with my Ranger wearing Betas skin.

I have literally never gotten the effect before it happened against the rulers. I killed Alpha and Beta with the repeater and have yet to see it happen to any other enemy.

Mister Bates posted:

Just had a sharpshooter I'd been speccing as a straight Sniper, with an Advanced Scope, Tracer Rounds, and a Perception PCS, roll Rapid Fire as their AWC perk. :getin: It's like Deadeye, only a lot more damaging, with no cooldown. Sure, it burns more ammo, but that's what their expanded magazine is for.

I have a sharpshooter that rolled Shredder, which isn't like... #1 ballstomper ability, but it's pretty sweet.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

BlazetheInferno posted:

Can you confirm that it activates Sniper overwatch, and not pistol?

I can't say either way but I know there is an .ini entry you can edit so that overwatch will prioritize main weapons over sidearms.

edit: I guess it's obvious in retrospect but now that I'm actually in the Tower facility it becomes clear that you are meant to do this much, much earlier. Mag weapons are oneshotting every enemy in here.

Colapops fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 4, 2016

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

GuavaMoment posted:

Yes. Or when you go in for that point blank guaranteed shot only to see "48% to hit? Why? High cover? From where -aaaaaaahhhhh!!!"

Don't take Bulwark. I was really disappointed with the majority of the left side SPARK tree in fact.

I found this out the hard way. Bulwark sounds like such a good ability, and if you pay attention to positioning it is, but...

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Lunethex posted:

I'm sure there's more I could add. The ones that aren't on were ones that ended up conflicting with better mods that included them, just haven't deleted them yet.

What I want is a mod that removes the helmet from the Archon King suit because it looks dumb. Also maybe a mod that makes it so if you use the "jump into the air and appear somewhere else" thing that it destroys ceilings when used inside.

You can just change the helmet. You don't have to wear a helmet with any of the Ruler suits.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

My impression of SPARKs so far isn't that great either. Like someone else said, I was sort of expecting MEC trooper levels of usefulness from the SPARKs and well... they're not. I have all the upgrades for mine but he still has less health than most of my human troopers and his attacks aren't as useful since he can't use special ammo or anything. He's decently mobile I suppose but with the lack of cover and relatively mediocre HP pool it's not a whole lot to write home about.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I'm just not sure how to feel about SPARKs in general, I guess. You can indeed get them pretty early on, and I can see how they'd be so strong then based on their armor alone but they need some tweaks so that they don't become near-useless in mid-late game. Their skills especially need some work and I guess that's where you'd go to start: the complaints about this game's classes in general applies to sparks as well. They just don't seem focused in either tree, with some weird, out-of-place skills here and there or skills that feel outright worthless.

edit: hoping for some more customization mods for SPARKs soon too, I hate the t3 armor on them. It's fine for human troops but I don't like the Vanu-esque SPARKs.

Colapops fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 5, 2016

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm surprised no one's modded EU/EW units back into the game yet. I mean, maybe someone did a stat overhaul, but I'm talking models and everything.

I really, really want to see the original sectoids back in some manner. Bonus points if we can train them as sidekicks for soldiers.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Andre Banzai posted:

What I'd really like to see modded is some very classic alien mythology aliens.

Like gray aliens such as

I know those were supposed to be the Sectoids, but not really. Sectoids are "feral", basic, not THAT dangerous aliens in this game. I'd like them walking upright, teleporting and walking through walls, freezing loving time, mind controlling and causing mass hallucinations, you know, classic alien stuff from movies and abduction stories. I'd like them to be more terrifying them Ethereals and I'd like to encounter "leader grays", like the ones in the ending of "Close Encounters of the third Kind": tall, thin, horrible-looking nightmarish monstrosities that acted like an upgraded Ethereal (possibly with all your Psi Soldiers abilities plus the Grays' and acting 4 times per turn)

I'd love to be terrified of an alien like that, versatile, powerful and full of abilities that could catch you offguard. In a sense, if they froze time as an ability, reacting after each of your troops' turn would make a lot more sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsjhdoWKtXM

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Andre Banzai posted:

That's abolutely the best sequence in any alien movie ever, and yes I'm a huge fan of that movie, how did you know?

Bit offtopic here I know but one alien movie that I thought was really disturbing because it was so weird it was creepy, was "Communion": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ9SI7WShfU

I can't take anything with Christopher Walken in it seriously, which I think reflects on his film roles the last few years.

Anyways, SPARK stuff:

This mod adds in customization options ported over from MEC troopers:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=716906004
The art style is SLIGHTLY different so it might not look as good up-close.

This mod adds the Advent MEC weapons for SPARKs, at the same stats as relevant default weapons:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=716306080

This one straight-up adds the Advent MEC parts as customization options for your SPARKs:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=715887476

This mod adds cobbled-together, junky, salvaged MECs with Resistance stylings for SPARK customization:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=717375812

Finally, this one adds mod slots to SPARK weapons, though I have to point out that Mod Everything does as well, for... everything:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=717783955

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Eraflure posted:

https://xcom.com/news/en-xcom-2-gets-new-lws-perk-and-laser-pack-mods

Long War Studios are releasing a new 2.5 weapon-only tier (laser, between mag and plasma). Base classes are broken into 7 classes à la Long War, with 70 new perks or so (you get to choose between 3 perks at every level).

e : here's the perk pack https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=719109968

also new PCS

ee: new abilities description : http://pastebin.com/KFzB1Yv7

drat it, I just got far enough into my latest campaign to make it unpleasant to start over for this.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Well, on the subject of SPARK upgrades...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=720053228

These look like they will make the SPARKs much closer to their MEC counterparts from the last game.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Wait what? The ranger class in the LW mod starts with an ability called Commissar. It allows you to execute an ally that's mind-controlled by giving it +50 chance to hit and making it an instant kill. :psyduck:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I got that it was a Warhammer gag but I thought there was some mystical, arcane mind control tactic I didn't know about that would make use of it. Oops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Lotish posted:

Those of you who make mods, is there a reason there don't seem to be any that add extra faces? You can get all sorts of stuff to put on your characters, and there are even mods that replace the heads entirely with things like Garrus from Mass Effect, but there don't seem to be any mods that add to the six or so basic faces.

Faces are harder to make. Human anatomy is harder to get right than robot parts and weird aliens.