Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Just as an aside, does anyone else color-code their soldiers to make them easier to tell apart at a glance?

Assault: bright red
Medics: white
Engineers: electric blue
Rangers/infantry: forest/military green
Grenadiers: hazard orange
Gunners: yield yellow
Shinobi/spec-ops/etc: pure black
Snipers: black + white
Psi-ops: purple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Well then.

Anyhow, Grimy's Loot Mod just gave me a very interesting SPARK autocannon. It has mods that give it: +3 sight range (okay, cool), +30% damage at the cost of 2 ammo, and then a mod that gives the last round in the weapon +50 aim and 30% bonus chance to crit... meaning that this autocannon can only fire once before reloading but it will virtually always hit and almost always crit with 30% more damage.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

More SPARK customization options:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=721261179

Lookin' pretty neat.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Burning is really strong. It seems to do damage-per-round (the DoT) based on the attack that caused the burning status in the first place, so my Long War ranger who has a really beefy Grimy-modded plasma rifle causes burning DoT ticks of 5-8 damage.

Having DoT effects like that just melts rulers. A grenadier with Salvo can dump a combo of two grenades onto the ruler, meaning you can get acid/poison/burning on the ruler, then have someone with special ammo (or a grenade of their own) add the final effect. With all their rapid turns, having those DoTs on them will kill rulers very quickly. It's really easy to set up as well since all you have to do is dump the grenades on them, no worrying about overwatch and turns and all that.

Acid grenades are still my favorite though.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Yesterday (or the night before) I finally got caught by the hunter UFO. I have plasma and warden armor and all that, so I am essentially in the end-game... fighting a full alien force as they try to get into the Avenger at this stage in the game is horrible. So many Advent MECs with their across-the-map missile launchers decimated practically all of the cover, while so many stun lancers meant I basically couldn't hold off overwatch trapping enemies.

Just as things were starting to pull up, the berserker queen showed up and because of the AI on that map she charged towards the Avenger instead of wreaking havoc on the Advent and other aliens, since she appeared behind them.

It was brutal but in the end I won, killed the berserker queen, and only had mild injuries. Again, a grenadier with Salvo and acid + incendiary bombs (and a SPARK with gas grenades) was able to wall off sections of the map or force enemies to kill themselves in the hazards.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Sanctum posted:

When one soldier does all the work and the whole squad knows it.

The number of times I've had that same score screen list SECTOPOD under every category...

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Panfilo posted:

For Grimy's Loot mod, I've picked up some of those lockboxes but unlocking them doesn't seem to be available in research options. Is there something I'm missing?

Try opening the console and using the command GrimyLootUpdateResearch.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Great new Beagle video. Proof that not even the aliens should trust codexes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfw1SbTX10

One of those great missions where everything just falls into place perfectly.

Colapops fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 25, 2016

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbWEHyB2XKk

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Why would you want that?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Hmm, no, she had just gotten poisoned so that seems unlikely.

I'm not 100% sure, but there seems to be a chance to resist poison every round you're poisoned. I've seen it last 5 turns+ and I've seen it end the same turn it happened.

Maybe all in my head, but it could be a thing!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Tae posted:

So that rescue mission that has you only have 3 soldiers? Don't kill everything like usual, it's a super stealth mission. Learned that harsh lesson when I kept killing and reinforcements literally came every turn. Oops.

Additionally, the moment you pick up the rescue target, you will instantly be revealed. I did not know that and I didn't pay attention I guess so suddenly after my "perfect" stealth I was under the gun of all the stuff I snuck past.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The expansion stuff--especially the Chosen and Lost, unsurprisingly--make run of the mill missions a lot more interesting and fun. Juggling fighting three enemy factions (even if the Chose and Advent are technically together) by turning them against each other or weaponizing the Lost is very satisfying.

It seems like the Chosen prioritize your troops at all costs, though; I've never seen them even attack the Lost. At least the Lost will attack them!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Several times now I've had the game behave strangely (even crash!) when using the Templar to destroy objective objects with Rend, like the data transfer pylons, the EMP spike in the defense mission, and so on. Just be safe and shoot it.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I was dismally bad at the last game so I'd held off on this one, since I heard it was significantly more punishing. Is it better enough in that regard to pick up the game + expansion? I did love the last game, even if I hosed everything up at all times.

Play on the lowest difficulty. Seriously, it's a game that's all about learning how to tilt luck in your favor. You play on easy/normal, you'll pick it up eventually and even if you don't, the game itself is fun enough even when you're losing.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Soldier got captured by the assassin on a covert op. Imprisoned. Wait a while to get the rescue operation, no dice, so I continue as normal while keeping an eye out for it. Eventually kill the Chosen assassin permanently. Little while later, I get the rescue op for my captured soldier... and the assassin is still talking to me before, during, and after the mission.

Oops!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

An obsessive reload negatrait almost squadwiped Beagle. That mission was nuts.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

So I've never watched a beaglerush stream before, does he always take 3 hours prepping before each mission?

Yes. This is part of why he's "good" at the game. He over-analyzes everything and double-triple-quadruple checks everything. X-Com is all about tilting the RNG into your favor and he knows how to do that, and it starts before the mission has even began.

edit: I went to check Twitch to see if there was a vid up of that Archon Ruler Surprise mission and he's streaming again. He took a break for a few hours I guess but otherwise has apparently been streaming for like 14+ hours??? yikes

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I was assuming that the Haven retaliation missions were only in the early game, a sort of intro to retaliation missions that didn't have the same sort of "you are hosed" impact as the old style. The old style are virtually unchanged when they do show up, right? I haven't noticed any differences.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

As a vaguely related side-note, apparently the Purifier flamethrowers are technically shotguns in the game's mind. Kind of interesting.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

why would my sniper have started a mission with only one round in her chamber?

one shot, one kill.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Had a perfect retaliation mission going. No one even got a shot on my troops! Unfortunately the Warlock summoned spectral zombies on top of me--normally not an issue--and one of the Resistance members decided to shoot the one that used Spectral Rupture or whatever it's called. Minor damage but it broke my otherwise exquisite stats and gave a tiny bit of hospital time to my troops.

Resistance jerks.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

My templar got a Rend off on a berserker queen, then a followup Bladestorm attack. No achievement for melee slaying her. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Warlock down. Enemies never even got a shot(or stab) off on any troops. He had a weakness to Templars himself, so my ranger pretty much instagibbed him with the Assassin's shotgun at point blank, had a few rounds of beating up mooks while whittling down the sarcophagus, and then when the warlock finally respawned he popped up right in front of my Templar who one-shot him as he had not fully healed before I broke the sarcophagus.

:clint: