Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I won't be able to play this the weekend it comes out because I'll be in New York. Please get a bunch of rookies killed in panic reactions for me. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It still bugs me that grenades are tile ranges and not just spheres of influence you can tool around with but that's the single thing I'm not down with now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The ship ai kind of sounds like ADA from Zone of the Enders to me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way I know rockets are out; do grenade launchers have that same margin of error? I love that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zoran posted:

No, grenade launchers work the same way as normal grenades do, but with larger AOE and longer range.

By the way, rockets are back as heavy weapons on the exosuits.

I didn't know that. I'm even more excited now. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man it really bugs me the more I think about it. I hope they just run with it and have the intro be you losing all your rookies to a sectoid in month 1, then smash cutting to 20 years later. :haw:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"You're pretty good!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was a little concerned about the Avatar Project until I realized it's just the Doom Meter. I'll miss interceptors though. They were rad as hell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are SHIVs back or just those little drone things?

Colapops posted:

Why have you done this.

I'm not sure what you mean.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The very first thing I thought on the blacksite reveal was "at least they're not playing computer games". Rip Shen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does GMG usually send out their game keys on the day of the release or the day of the preload (if there is one)?

Also I will probably play the game on Normal, go up to Hard, and experience Legendary vicariously through Beagle.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh sweet, at work so I couldn't check. Thanks!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I enjoyed watching Beagle play it but LW looks like an insanely tedious chore to play myself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LuiCypher posted:

Interesting way they decided to handle the first game.

(Potential) spoilers below, as it's an inference of mine based on an early autopsy cutscene.

Looks like the first game is actually just a simulation that the aliens hooked you up to after they captured you. You, and everybody else's playthroughs of the game basically form the broad strategic and tactical decisions that the aliens made getting the world to the point where it is now.

It would be really cool to see remnants of EXALT make an appearance and aid XCOM somehow. Their stated agenda was to benefit from alien technology, not collaborate with them so they might have been equally hosed when the aliens rolled in and cleaned house. Then again, if what I said above is true, then maybe they're just programmed into the simulation to see how you would react to and deal with an insurgency?

I'd be 100% down for this. It'd make the Uber Ethereal speech make more sense in that context too; he's talking to you, not the Volunteer. They're trying to sell you on working with the aliens.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't wait to get my friends' rookies killed brutally. RIP shivs though :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you got it from GMG, did you get the digital deluxe preload or just the regular? I bought the DD edition but can't tell if that's what I received. I got the resistance warrior pack though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks, looks like I'm good!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah if you want to play the high difficulties that is fine, but self-impose Ironman rather than do it officially. The game is likely to be pretty buggy

What convinced me to never turn Ironman on was getting to the Uber Ethereal room, getting a soldier in, then realizing that I can't move the rest of my guys in. The game locked the door.

e: If Commander is Classic mode I will play on that first.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

splifyphus posted:

Ironman is totally mandatory. It's a totally different game when you can't gently caress up.

While admittedly I am terrible at holding myself to it, I'd rather give in and reload now and then instead of be hosed out of winning the game because of some bug like in EU. v:shobon:v

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nordick posted:

Also, in case someone didn't watch Christopher Odd's video about it; You can create characters in the character pool with all customizations unlocked right off the bat. Whatever rank restrictions or whatever there is only apply to customizing existing characters in-game.

Watch the video if you didn't, it's quite informative and doesn't really spoil any game stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_AlvNvfa8

I'm gonna make my Goonpool avatar first thing, though I might just anglicize my name. I'm a tiny bit salty that Firaxis didn't include Finnish as a nationality eventhough Swedes and Norskis are in. :argh:

Is the one on the left wearing a snaketitskin cloak?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pwnstar posted:

Lmao if you aren't going to replace the soldier name list with the names from the Key and Peele college football sketches.

Earth puts its faith in Blast Hardcheese.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You read my mind. :allears:

Speaking of which it's just a .txt file right? Or at least that's how EU did it? I can just clean that up in notepad then copy it onto the end?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Have they said how the character pool works? Do you subscribe to something ingame or just download soldier files and slap them in a directory for it to read?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Actually taking a game about desperately riding the edge and barely scraping by and turning it into yet another boring power fantasy about saving the world kind of sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNyhyzjYCks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

It was great for precision grenade/rocket shots, going to miss it until they patch it in.

They're based on tiles now instead of areas of effect, you won't be able to do it either way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thyrork posted:

... Oh my god at what just happened in Jam's stream. :aaaaa:

I didn't know they were streaming, what just happened?

e: If Solomon says start on Veteran I'll probably do that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ihatepants posted:

Made my character as well!

Here's the dropbox link if anyone wants to add him to your game or the goon pool:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4812094/SA-ihatepants.bin

I get it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I am going to spend an inordinate amount of time in the character creator only for them to die once I put them in a mission, I can already tell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HenryEx posted:

I didn't expect Council Dude to actually take up a weapon and fight, instead of just using his awesome voice to talk. A true hero. o7

Please be real, and let him also do it while still wearing a suit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iron Twinkie posted:

Am I missing something obvious or are like 90% of the face options half-human, half-potato hybrids?

Oh lord, the aliens invaded Tamriel.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I made Buff "Hunk" Drinklots for when we get our pool going. That was fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've imported a goon pool, another pool, and the two pools that come with the game. I now have plenty of rookies to die for no reason Earth. :getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jtm33 posted:

Has anyone done the Avenger Defence mission? It is an absolute nightmare. 20 turns and 50+ enemies later...

- You cannot let an enemy enter your base
- You must destroy an object across the map
- 3-5 Advent are dropped in each turn
- There are also enemies already populated on the map

You do get to use injured soldiers, and you get to use 6 + a few reinforcements. But this mission is such a slog. You will spend most of your turns shooting enemies because you can't take any risks, and progress is so slow towards the objective due to Advent drops.

I am playing on commander so I don't know what that changes, but I sure hope I don't have to do one of these again!

Dear God that's basically a LW mission.

quote:

Don't use the sword against Mutons.

He played college ball you know! He could break the commander in two...with his bare hands!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 5, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope that there is a cutscene where Randy Quaid gets in an old junked interceptor and saves the Avenger from a ufo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fintilgin posted:

DAMMIT, Firaxis! I just lost three soldiers because your LOS code is still all bugged up.

Run up to building and VIP activates through the wall. Advent soldier on roof starts shooting at VIP through the floor/ceiling. Advent outside start flanking and shooting my guys inside through the exterior, windowless walls.

Isaac Asimov and VIP made it out on the last turn, but ugh.

:ughh:

This is why I'm not turning Ironman on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I'm kind of sad about this, because I really want to play my first run on Ironman like I did with Enemy Unknown. It feels like it's the "right" way to play. I can probably just force myself to do it anyway and reset only when my soldiers are killed due to obvious bugs, but if I'm going to do that, I might as well do it official, y'know?

I can't decide whether to just go ahead and play now (not on Ironman) and accept that I won't be playing the way I want to quite yet, or if I should wait for a couple of patches (and accept that I won't be playing XCOM 2).

...yeah, I think it's going to have to be the former.

Yeah I might go ahead and do a commander ironman after my first win on veteran, but to start the game that sounds like a good way to kill the fun fast. LOS would get lovely in EU but not quite like that!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ugh I had to step away while Bradford was talking, what does he tell you after you finish the first tutorial mission?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Am I missing something about overwatch and concealment? ADVENT forces are walking right through my LOS and my troops won't shoot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Elliotw2 posted:

If you're in concealment your guys won't shoot unless they get spotted or you shoot first.

How are they not seeing me then? They're within their sight range and staring at them when they walk through.

Also I just activated a group from outside my own sight range, that's cool. Walk that 4 damage off, Kelly. At least she RULES OF NATURE'd an officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So tutorial mission 2. I deactivate the bomb, the sectoid appears...then the truck explodes. For no reason. It wasn't shot or anything. Is it just scripted to kill a rookie?

Lotish posted:

Are your guys in cover? They won't see guys in cover as easily.

quote:

They can't see behind cover, which I assume your guys typically are in, unless they are flanking you. That only applies for actually being in the cover and not one step behind it, though, it doesn't block vision all the way back.

Half cover, yeah. Is it a random chance to be spotted when they patrol then? They walked around it.