Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
For some reason my brain only started getting hype for this last week but I want to say I'm glad there's two Australian voices for each gender so I can make XCOM Bogan Force and glass xenos with some measure of variation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I spent an hour making 40 Bogans and some celebrities this morning and then after starting to play somehow I lost 7 hours and one Australian actor pretending to be a Canadian superhero.

Game is fun and I feel like I've barely even dipped my toes into it. Doomsday clock is pretty oppressive on the emotions though.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

You know I think this dude might not be fond of aliens.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Furism posted:

Man these "make getting out of concealment count" ambushes are awesome. There's nothing quite like throwing a grenade and getting a 3x Overwatch followup.

Yeah, that moment where you just annihilate a group of wounded Advent dudes as they try to scatter to cover feels pretty drat nice in a way I haven't really felt since back in 2nd Edition Warhammer 40K on the ol' tabletop.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I did the Avenger defense mission today and sweet jesus that was fun. Bradford just kept sending out more bogans and by the end of it I had nine cigarette smoking champions of humanity covering each other to victory. Two more sent out and honestly, we'd have had to take our socks off keep track of who we had out there (It's okay we're wearing flip-flops).

My big regret is you can't see the first names here which is where half the comedy comes from. Also Tony "Boatstopper" Abbott was injured and had to sit this one out.

We made Kelly an honorable Bogan because quite frankly with a ponytail and cap on I knew where she wanted to be (on a Contiki tour getting rat-arsed).

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Beat the Veteran campaign after spending 26 hours on this game, and Tony Abbott died on the final mission helping to stop the boats.

I feel like I wanna wait a bit for them to fix up a few things before I put my skull back into it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I want a mod that lets you do the item pick up vacuum thing but with every single physicsable object on the map.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Bogan Squad ready to rumble.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

There's something absolutely magical about tossing a lowly grenade at a Chosen, but having its weaknesses stack up to cause it to do like 14 damage instead.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Coolguye posted:

and if you're both unsure and indecisive i intend to stream this on release day so you can come in and watch a stream of the game without being worried about some obnoxious dingbat spouting memes every 6 seconds

Wow that's one way to learn I'm not invited to commentate.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Truthfully I'll likely be in the middle of my own game at the same time. This sort of game is my jam and it feels like the gameplay will be a bit more fast and loose which is how I play XCOM games compared to everyone else (obviously not at the higher difficulty levels where I'll be fed my own rookies).

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Exposure posted:

In a few of the articles about the game, the devs have said that the campaign has a surprisingly long length of about 20 hours. I'll imagine that'll take longer or shorter depending on your skill level but for an effectively $10 game I was definitely expecting a much shorter length to go along with it.

Well if it's a series of time-and-progress gated events they could definitely stretch it all out, incrementally adding new gear, enemies, plot twists and so forth at just the right pace to not make you feel like you're spinning your wheels.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Your strategic game-over bar will now represent how loose of a cannon the Chief thinks you are

"Damnit Chimera Squad you went too far when you were breaking up that illegal Elerium trade ring!"
"I guess you had a pretty good view of it from the strategic layer, Chief."

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

feedmegin posted:

To be fair that looks more like a strip club

Maybe it's just a hossssstesssss bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I was all "Man that Sacred Coil mission took some doing and I was only playing on the normal difficulty, I wonder how everyone who leaps into the harder difficulties first were doing" and yup suffering as predicted.

Agent355 posted:

Listening to the thread there are a ton of people running options that I never use and I think that speaks to the quality of the tactical level in the game. There are party members I've never had and ones I've hardly used and other people are swearing by how good they are. Definitely makes me interested in trying another campaign after I finish/brick this one to try some other stuff.

I'm definitely enjoying all the cool ways a mission can play out depending on your team, hard as it is to not use your favourites.