Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Much like how Assaults were my favorite class in Xcom1, Rangers are definitely my favorite in Xcom2. The best one I have is the one that got Salvo. Rocket launcher into a group of guys to soften/remove cover, and then Reaper just cleans up. I only wish that he also had Serial, because I could see Serial being really nice on a Ranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

The less story missions the better. They were static and completely dull after the first play.

I'm going to disagree completely, I liked most of the story missions. Even the temple ship was enjoyable when trying to see just how fast I could blow through it with a full memetic skin squad.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bump swords up to shotgun damage and add a point of pierce per tier.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Lexorin posted:

Seems to be that you can only hack security posts while your are concealed and successfully hacking one does not break concealment, only failure does.

This is incorrect, you can hack them at any time.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I have no idea how this magical series of events happened, but it also made me a fan of Reaper forever.

How do you record the replays, because I absolutely wish I had a replay of this thing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

gently caress, I knew I should have wrapped up this campaign last night. Ready to start the Tower, and figured I would leave it until tonight to finish.

I guess I'll start a new game until mod compatibility is figured out.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

dyzzy posted:

Mimetic skin was very OP, sure. The thing with MECs you have to get over is that you can't just leave them standing out there like the aliens do with their big units. Dropping smoke, using high cover occlusion, etc. is more or less required to keep them healthy.

Just use Heavies for the -25 aim modifier.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

On Gangplank the already active cyberdisk just sauntered through a door and crit my sniper for 13 damage. Rip. :(

The one game where everything went perfect and I had a Memetic assault before Gangplank was amazing. Ran him in there to spot the Cyberdisk, which made it just kind of wander around lost. Eventually it went to the right spot and both my heavies could rocket it, with my assault finishing up with a point blank shotgun. That was one of the more satisfying xcom moments I've had.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Maluco Marinero posted:

You can use G & T to step zooming in and out too, always do this straight away to scope out the battlefield better before you move out. Careful though, you have Reload (R) and Overwatch (Y) right next to them.

They don't zoom out any further than just rolling the mouse wheel though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

The only skill I don't like is Fuse, it just feels so horribly useless since as far as I can tell it only works on the few enemies who carry grenades, instead of working on like MECs.

code:
[XComGame.X2Condition_FuseTarget]
FuseAbilities=GrenadeFuse
FuseAbilities=RocketFuse
FuseAbilities=MicroMissileFuse
This is what it works on by default, but that could be expanded with a mod.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Maybe its just my settings but... they do? I use G/T all the time and the mouse wheel moves in and out within that stepped range. Like, I have to use T to zoom in on a Muton's face or whatever and G will take me all the way out to birds eye view to see almost the whole map while the mouse wheel lets me fine tune the vertical position. Again, maybe there's some setting in the options to put that on to the mouse wheel though. I wouldn't know because my keybindings were bugged all to poo poo and wouldn't let me change anything.

T will definitely zoom in much further for me, but the mouse wheel and G both zoom out not quite far enough to see the full visual sight range at once.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

WarLocke posted:

If Fuse is niche because not many units actually carry 'ammo', would it be possible to mod it to work on 'ammo-carrying or mechanical targets'? Basically overload mech capacitors or whatever.

Without having actually poked at where those abilities are defined, I'm going to say yes. I have a few 12+ hour flights coming up, so maybe I'll dig around and see if I can figure out how to add a new one that turns Sectopods into walking car bombs.

WarLocke posted:

Geoscape question: The random scanner events (supplies, rookies, etc etc), do they ever 'expire'? There's no indication that I can see for that anywhere, so can you just sit on that rumor of a bunch of rookies you got in week 2 for like a month while you're contacting cells and come back for them later?

They do expire, and there is a mod that displays it (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626589171). There is also a mod by the same guy that changes the display for times less than 2 days into listing the hours remaining (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=627156954)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Having not actually used Fuse (I haven't actually unlocked psi stuff in this game yet) does it just do X damage or is it an instant kill? :eyepop:

It's just minor damage and cover removal, but if I'm going to add something new I want that poo poo to be crazy.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Unsurprisingly, everyone got a promotion, and I brought home 9 delicious trooper corpses. It occurs to me that once the Black Market opens, I'll have a tremendous amount of assets to offer them...

The extra money from all the corpses does make the mid-game a lot easier.

WarLocke posted:

Actually, a list of 'safe' stuff to sell at the market would be cool.

This was posted awhile back in the thread, and seems to be correct still.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/44t256/minor_spoilers_clean_list_of_how_many_corpses_you/

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 16, 2016

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

What exasperates me is that there's no upgrading them to their higher-level equivalents. :[

As with just about everything in Xcom2, there is a mod for that.:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624793674

WarLocke posted:

And either I'm just not seeing it or nobody has made a simple mod that shows ALL the perks on the promotion screen even before you get to that rank. Seems like a simple QoL thing that should have been in the basic game IMO.

And for that:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624408502

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

LowellDND posted:

So if I want to increase the number of grenades / slot, it would look something like this yeah?

With the clipsize going from 1 to 3.

Yes, exactly like that.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Moogle posted:

E: Ranger overwatch is not wonderful anyway. Opportunist would make them a monster.

Ranger overwatch is amazing, and you're crazy if you don't think so. That +3 damage for flanked targets works on overwatch, because you only shoot at targets that aren't in cover. And since they are usually up close and personal, I routinely see 80-90% hit rates on overwatch (with the mod that displays hit chance for alien/overwatch shots).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Thank you, that's a much better list.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Backhand posted:

I really don't care about all the cosmetic options, and have never bothered playing Barbie with any of my soldiers outside of the occassional hair style change.

I feel like I have to be playing the game wrong.

You're playing just fine.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I guess the Chrysallid unburrow crash is still in the game. Luckily after the 4th crash while trying to find a combo of moves to not trigger it, Scanning Protocol did the trick.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sectoids are also 1-shotable by Rangers, which makes them easy to kill once you're ready to.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Look at this scrub who's not even playing on legend, sectoids have 10 health there.

Oh hell no, I would never play legendary with the doubled build timers, that's too drat obnoxious.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Updating the game in the middle of a mission doesn't always work quite right.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

many johnnys posted:

I believe the key is "End", but yeah, manually ending the turn is the way to go in that case.

It can also be done through the UI. End Turn should be one of the buttons on the top-right. But those buttons are for suckers.

Backspace and End both work. Backspace was the default key in XCOM:EU, which is why it's still an option now even though they've added End as well.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Coolguye posted:

They patched that one out a long time ago

It still works as of last week.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sloober posted:

Out of 4 campaigns i have never found an AIM pcs

The C/I campaign I just finished dropped enough of them that my 10 person A/B team all had either the advanced or superior one. And everyone had a superior scope. It was basically a shooting gallery, I usually rolled with 3 heavies that would salvo and then double tap everything.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sloober posted:

I might be totally wrong about it but i never remember any gate spawning more than one group of dudes

I've even had one gate spawn two groups in the same turn. From what I've seen, 1-2 groups spawn every turn forever.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Getting a workshop in the 2nd row middle has been my strategy the last few games, and it worked like a champ.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

You forgot stasis. Oh god that one is probably the most broken of the lot.

I agree, it's the most important psi skill.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Backhand posted:

Besides, it's not like you're losing grenades; you just have one less.

Well, you are losing grenades, you lose 1. Really, the best thing about the extra grenade is being able to grenade and then shoot at the now exposed target on the same turn. That's a poo poo ton of shred + damage to put out against usually hard targets. The extra grenade lets you do that 3 times per mission instead of twice, which is pretty much the best drat thing in the world.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Aquila posted:

Let's step back from all this pointless dlc argument. Incendiary Grenade, best grenade, or best thing in game?

What about Acid? I can never decide between them.

Best item is the blaster launcher though, because it has range + precision.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I haven't played since the Resistance DLC came out, so just started a new campaign. I have Bradford as a starting soldier, which is a bit surprising. Did something get screwed up by the quickstart mod, or is he always there now?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

He's in one of the default character pools too, so you can get lucky and just have a Bradford.

That's probably what happened.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That reminds me of one of my Xcom1 starting missions. I hunkered down my rookies behind a van when I spotted the first pod, and of course the sectoids missed, blowing up the van.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

In the early game Sparks are pretty great for being a movable high cover and rocket platform. A Spark can be a bridge over no-cover areas of the map. No sure about how useful late game Sparks are though. I know their punch perk is pretty underwhelming.

Sparks get a perk that give them a 1/3rd chance at firing at every newly discovered alien. For a normal 3-alien pod, it basically gives them a free shot at every pod. This is in addition to their normal overwatch shot, and can also occur on your own turn. Basically use your Spark as the scout, get a free shot at one alien in every pod you discover, and they have the armor to soak up a good bit of damage if it comes to it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

MF_James posted:

I am probably a heathen, but I'd like an apoc remake, complete with real-time mode, feel free to burn me at the stake for my heresies.

Real-time was the only way to play Apoc, and it was fun as hell. I would pay good money for a new version of it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

I'm thinking about buying XCOM 2 while it's still on sale but I'm on the fence on account of none of the interesting-looking DLC being on sale. Are any of them good? All of them? Any of them feel essential/non-essential?

Wait until they are $1 on sale

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Whatever you do with a Gatekeeper, never use its big psionic attack, annoyingly the zombies aren't under your control when you do that.

Fix your game, Jake.

Are you using a mod that changes that? Because they've always been under my control in every game I've played, and as recently as yesterday I dropped the gateway on a pile of civvies in a VIP mission, picking up 5 zombies in one go.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Zore posted:

Its a mod.

And one of the most useful, after Evac all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

So just bought WotC after not playing Xcom2 for a couple of years, and they've made the game even more fun.

The giant zombie hordes of Lost are crazy. Just wrapped up a mission where I had to rescue a VIP + 2 soldiers, and the number of Lost to kill was just insane:

I also got stupidly lucky on that mission, since I had 2 guys dodge Muton shots, and my Ranger got hit by one after she had already triggered Impaccable, so no injuries at all. It's also cool that the Aliens fight the Lost, 3-way shootouts are fun and good.

I thought the Chosen were going to replace the Alien Rulers, but apparently not; I had the Berserker Queen show up on a facility mission. Thankfully she ran right through an acid bomb sploosh after getting shot in the face with a Dragon round, and the damage kept ticking on every move until she ran away. Only had 1 guy end up slapped by her.

The Assassin Chosen is a pain in the rear end because she's invisible, but the others are a lot easier to deal with. I'm working on the last covert mission to uncover her stronghold now, I can't wait to get rid of her. Especially since she's preparing to hunt down the Avenger, and I don't want to deal with a base defense mission.

I haven't figured out yet how to get more of the 3 new classes. The Skirmisher is incredible because of the whole invisibility thing, the others I'm happy to leave behind when my A-team is ready to go. They've actually turned into my covert ops team, since they bonded and the Templar ended up with Blademaster for slicing and dicing any Lost that get too close when they get ambushed. Mox seems pretty useless, mostly because 3 shots isn't nearly enough ammo before needing to reload.

The whole tiredness thing is taking some time to get used to, but it does seem better done than Long War's version which was just annoying the last time I tried it.

Overall, A+ expansion and I'm glad I picked it up.