Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Not sure if I should go through the process of learning to mod this game. I want to rebalance tech progression to make it so that new tiers of armor and weapons don't make older tiers useless. I am thinking that could be done by making it so that instead of squad upgrades you have to get each weapon individually like in EW, and make it so that things like special ammo and items can only be used with lower tier armors and weapons. Or maybe make more research for improving lower tiers to be viable later on.

The problem for me is that I would end up having to learn a shitload of things to mod this and I have no idea where to even begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Has there ever been any word about whether or not the Long War people are going to make a mod that reworks the way research and upgrades work like they did for EW? I don't like that the tier-2 armor just replaces the tier-1, I preferred having to buy each suit individually and then deciding who to give it to for each mission. Same with higher tier weapons. I like the challenge that comes with having limited amounts of higher tier stuff.

I hope Long War comes back in full for XCOM2. I loved all of the new tactical decisions you would have to make in Long War (after I adjusted the .ini file so that aliens didn't have absurd amounts of HP, gently caress having Cyberdisks with 60+ health, they are already death incarnate when they have 16).

Edit: unrelated, but how do you determine whether or not to abort a mission? I can never tell how bad I will get hosed if I run away as opposed to accepting losses and completing a mission with only one survivor. I am always worried that running away will put me into an unwinnable situation later on.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 10, 2016

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Ah, thank you. I never saw those before.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I was planning to come back for more XCOM tomorrow on a new campaign. I took a look at what WOTC is all about and:catstare:. What the hell is this Saturday morning cartoon villain poo poo? The chosen are awful. What the hell is going on?

Was OldCOM like that ever?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I mean I still love XCOM, but what the hell is up with the chosen being such lame idiots?

Bogart posted:

muh seerious xcoms!!!!!!!!!

I'm just a little confused with the anime villain plot in a series about government dudes shooting a bunch of aliens.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

So far I am enjoying WOTC. It's incredibly schlocky. It feels like low-grade Metal Gear characters got lost in an XCOM game. The gameplay is great though, so I will tolerate it.

But I swear to loving God, if this starts turning into Fire Emblem anime simulator in future games, I'm jumping ship.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 4, 2018

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I've noticed that the chosen boss missions blow hot poo poo. It's just a long slog where everything has tons of health and it keeps spamming berserkers and mechs while I'm trying to kill the stupid coffin thing.

I also think that enemy hp scales a little too aggressively, since it really just becomes a check to see if you advanced to the next weapon tier and makes your new guns effectively the same as the old ones. The chosen are still loser idiots and not cool. They're entertaining to deal with in missions, but like I said, they have incredibly lovely boss levels that I don't want to do.

I mostly just don't like the chosen from a design standpoint. Human-like aliens are boring. I just don't feel impressed or interested when the otherworldly being that crossed the infinite void of space is actually just uglier humans who are somehow even bigger idiots than regular humans.

Overall though, I'm having fun. Not as good as EW, but still pretty good. I'm excited about Phoenix Point though. That looks way more my style than Chosen.

Tollymain posted:

i love skirmishers they're my hosed up children

There's more than just Mox and the lady on the TV screen?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

VHGS posted:

Yeah, 99% of the time the additional complexity is just meaningless bullshit, because it's super hard to balance the game well enough to not have most of the factors dominated by broken stuff. Like in the case of old X-Com, why would you even bother with all micromanaging and looking at graphs and poo poo when you can just fund your whole operation by selling laser cannons?

I feel that the best way to do it is somewhere between the two. A bit more complex than nuCOM but not nearly as hellishly complicated as oldCOM. Hell if I know how that should work, though.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

What's more dangerous? Increased chosen encounters, or Hunt XCOM? I don't know which would be a shittier dark event to deal with.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Sectopods had some much cooler designs in the concept art. But yeah they are scary for reasons beyond their appearance. I personally liked he more old-school looks of the aliens in EU. There's something about old school alien designs that just feels right.

Anyway I did the kill the assassin mission for the first time and boy is that the least fun I have ever had in an XCOM game. I'm glad I didn't do Ironman, because I have to try that one again tomorrow. I'm going to build a second SPARK just to kill the bitch and the million high hp assholes in the place.

Also, gently caress Archons. Dodge: grazed is the most bullshit thing ever. XCOM accuracy is tough enough, I don't need enemies getting to roll a second dice to decide if I actually put a dent in their huge pile of hit points.

Also advent troopers get way too much hp after they scale up. Fuckers should never have more than HP than one less than your maximum damage on your assault rifle or assault rifle equivalent. Leave the sponging to the big fuckers like berserkers and andromedons. I don't need sectoids and scrub troopers and vipers and every fucker in the universe being built like a tank.

You know, sometimes it's okay if the basic grunt and lightweights go down easy. XCOM is good at making even the wimpiest enemies dangerous if you miss your shots or make poor decisions. You don't need endless sponges. Also, if archons are going to dodge every bullet under the sun, then don't make them huge tanks!

C'mon Firaxis!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Serephina posted:

Advent mooks die in two shots, and that's fine. Past early game, you're expected to have more exotic tools at your disposal than taking pot shots with a rifle and expecting them to one-hit things. As an example, shotgun flank hits.

Dodging, Archons, etc are another issue entirely during the midgame. If anything, lategame Operatives are far too powerful, with stuff like superior scopes and superior aim PCSs ruining any semblance of challange. You can knock down an andromden and his accompanying pod in a single turn on beta strike, which shows how much overkill you can pack.

shotgun flank hits aren't always effective as they should be, and i don't like having to risk soldiers because i have to keep flanking every advent rear end in a top hat because they won't die otherwise. I don't care if the bigger, more interesting guys bog me down, but when the basic chumps can kill you in 3 shots and their captain can double their accuracy and has more health than a muton for some reason and there's that rear end in a top hat with a shield generator and 4 armor and I need my shredder guns firing at everyone else's armor because shield guy is hiding half a mile away and there's the stupid XBOX nanobot guy disabling one of your guys, I feel like being able to potshot the two chump-troopers isn't exactly negating any challenges.

And then there's that loving Archon who isnt exactly dangerous but god drat is he going to survive for days because he's apparently covered in grease.

I don't know man. I've played EW long war and never got this upset, even though I did have to edit the ini for certain things that I was NOT going to put up with because long war did have some bullshit that i cannot believe a human being would enjoy.

I guess i could start another campaign and try to do things differently, but I don't want to have to sit through every enemy intro and forced "stop and listen to the same poo poo" thing again.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

In enemy unknown there wasn't really a "standard chump" enemy. Sectoids were fragile but a pain in the rear end, thin men died easy but were a huge problem if not killed quickly, floaters were usually easy to deal with but were bulky enough to be a problem when you need to be killing other stuff. They all died easy but that was fine because once they had a big boy with them they become a problem. They never needed a load of health to be dangerous because they didn't need to survive long to ruin your day, they only needed to be a bitch and waste your shots and impair your dudes with poison and psionic bullshit while cyberdisk swoops in and slaughters everyone.

In long war for ew, I noticed that they changed the scaling of health to be disgustingly aggressive to the point where you would need multiple guys to flank a sectoid just to kill it in one turn, meanwhile they made crysallids and cyberdisks borderline immortal. I don't understand how people deal with swarms of bullet sponges and demigod cyberdisks. I always wanted to try longwar the way it was intended but that looks like something only a person who hates themselves would do.

So I'm wondering, if using guns and flanking is not enough, how else do I kill the aliens before they kill my guys?

Also, I guess I should mention that I have been using the "finite items" mod on XCOM 2 because the change to instant upgrade of all weapons from having to build new weapons in EU bothered me. Now I see that I can't do that anymore because this game expects you to have full squads with plasma guns pretty drat early, whereas I still only have magnetic weapons by month 5 or 6 or something. It didn't seem like a problem back before I had WOTC, but now I'm seeing different.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Have you ever hijacked a sectopod? Now that's a good time.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Scikar posted:

I got frustrated with this scaling in Long War because it makes activating one pod at a time even more important than it already was. And that in itself leads to an awkward repeating pattern because of the tools you have - let's say a couple of grenades and rockets, a flashbang, one guy with suppression, one assault and one sniper. You pull the first pod, try to snipe one of them, blow up the cover of any survivors so you can kill them from a distance, take potshots only when there's one enemy left so you can safely suppress. If you're running out of soldier actions on your turn and there's more than one active alien, flashbang. Repeat for the first few pods until you run out of ordnance, hopefully by this point there are only one or two pods left so the assault can run & gun without getting hosed by an unwanted activation. If at any point this process fails, break LoS and overwatch (but bear in mind that active pods out of LoS who are not in retreat call patrolling pods to your position).

I don't actually have a problem with that gameplay pattern on its own because it feels like an appropriate response to a much more powerful enemy. You die horribly in a firefight so you have to turn every engagement into an ambush. The decreasing difficulty curve in vanilla comes about because after a point it's the aliens who die horribly in a firefight instead. I was hoping that Long War would make that into more of an ebb and flow - you luck out a bit, hit lasers early and crush them for a while, so they dial back their next terror mission in favour of pumping their research a bit and then you get the occasional Muton Elite popping up earlier than expected - not a full upgrade or even a permanent thing, just them responding in a sensible way to keep you on your toes without guaranteed wrecking you if you dare to activate two pods together. Instead it feels like they want you to play that ambush pattern full time - the leaders and sprinkling abilities around on the aliens are totally fine (e.g. when a floater catches you out with covering fire), but the endless HP and stat scaling (especially the UFO aim scaling) feels really lazy by comparison and it shouldn't be needed.

Yeah, pods kinda suck with how they work. And XCOM 2 ruins those strategies due to timers. I hope they come up with a better way for AI to work than pods if they make another XCOM.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Do spectre's count as robots? If no, then why the gently caress not? Those assholes get to be immune to everything during their turn, so I should be able to fry the fuckers with an emp.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Wow this campaign loving hates Canada. It hits 4 panic, I calm it down with a terror mission, EXALT sets it to 5 panic, I deploy a Satellite, I have to take a mission somewhere else so two more countries don't instant bail and Canada hits 5 again.

Maybe Canada hates you? Taking alien bribes I bet. You can never trust those canucks.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I don't think it's much further than your own grapple hooks. I don't know fro real though.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

the hunter is at his best when you hit him with banish

since each hit doesnt hurt that much he starts cocky but by the 6th hit he's all "okay loving STOP"

The hunter has all the fun quotes.

Anyway on my new fresh campaign I've turned off some of my mods and yeah it is better now that I get upgrades normally now and I know what to do about annoying assholes that dodge a lot. Much better now. At this rate I may be ready for classic mode or whatever once I finish this campaign.

I might give regular long war a try, but I don't know just yet if I am okay with the disgusting enemy health scaling. I am still a firm believer in the method of making enemies dangerous through means other than higher HP, though I admit I'm not a "pro" at XCOM. Maybe once I feel I truly got the hang of things I'll decide my feelings on the balance.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

My favorite chosen moment so far is the warlock saying something along the line of "your mechanical toys don't scare me" to my spark before taking a punch to the face and dying.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Jabor posted:

Making the enemies hit harder while still being easy to take out in one turn is not a good way to go for balance - it just ends up being punishing and uninteresting. If you want to tune the difficulty to be meaningfully harder, you've kind of got to make it harder to one-round pods.

That's true too I suppose. I guess it's the way that pods work that really decides how the game has to be balanced.

Perhaps they should play with how pods work in future XCOM games. Like enemies that are independent of pods and come over and join in when they hear gunfire, or pods that wander into the mission area after a few turns instead of starting in the mission area.
They kind of did that with how reinforcements and the lost work in this one.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I discovered that retreating after completing the main objective is considered a failure. That's some bullshit.

First actual retreat because a sectopod and 2 heavy mechs wandered in while I was fighting mutons. I decided to snipe the transmitter and run for it, but I guess it didn't matter.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Lame

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

What's the name of the steamer who was really good at long war?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

...okay.

Anyway. How do you best deal with a cyberdisk?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

on my current campaign i actually did start with a templar. I don't know why, all i did was disable the WOTC intro mission.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I didn't realize that gatekeepers would show up on their own. I never encountered any before the mission with the gate before.

This is the first time I've put off getting the skulljack and doing the blacksite because I plan on killing all the chosen first. I've already killed the warlock and plan to kill the hunter next.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I didn't realize that gatekeepers would show up on their own. I never encountered any before the mission with the gate before.

This is the first time I've put off getting the skulljack and doing the blacksite because I plan on killing all the chosen first. I've already killed the warlock and plan to kill the hunter next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I reinstalled long war for EW and plan to start a new game with no changes to the ini at the moment. Is there any common recommendations for tweaking the ini? I've gotten better at New XCOM since the last time I played ew, but I remember being especially annoyed by thin men.

I will be removing lightning reflexes from chrysalis though, gently caress that poo poo.