Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If you care about that kind of thing, the art style in Alien Hunters is very different from most of the art in the main game, and the art style in Anarchy's Children clashes with both. Alien Hunters is steampunk and anime and Anarchy's is like ICP/raver. I have no idea why they did that, but they did. It's visually arresting to say the least.

So if you do care about art style consistency for whatever reason, I recommend against. I personally care and regret the purchases. They look distractingly dumb to me if installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I really wish the enemies did more damage in the mid and late game but this is still absolutely amazingly fun.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I just picked up Troubleshooter, which looks really really similar to XCom:CS. Anyone tried it? Thoughts?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I found Shelter to be not great at lower level but at mid and especially high level he was key to making a mission flawless via all his tools to bump enemies down the timeline

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Canonically I think “exalt” is actually Xcom and you the commander are in a goo tank (the one you were rescued from in 2) teaching the aliens how to defeat them. Everything after like month 2 in xcom 1 EW was a simulation.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Putting him in stasis for a round saves a lot of pain. You can use that time to clear other goons off the map, and then have more bandwidth to focus on him when he comes out of stasis.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

skaianDestiny posted:

Every XCOM fan should try out Troubleshooters. It's a great take on the genre and if you liked Chimera Squad's combat you'd like Troubleshooters' if you're fine with some anime story and a small bit of indie jank

I liked troubleshooter too but let's get real: the jank levels are substantial.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

On XCOM likes, anyone tried Invisible Inc? Seems to have good steam reviews

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The more you putter around and delay the easier CS is, but on the flip side, those purple missions that speed up the investigation are fun.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

A bunch of the chimera characters being over the top nice and seemingly well adjusted while they kill dozens of people a day made them seem like serial killers. I don't think that was what they were going for though.

Still a 10/10 sci fi police death squad simulator. Extremely fun.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Let's see, who to take on the mission... well the literal god has good powers. The green guy can only do physical attacks but he's invincible. I always take the magic guy. And yeah, I'll round it out with the guy with two hit points who shoots arrows, he brings a lot.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

My biggest problem with marvel XCOM is that the whole XCOM experience of repeatedly eating poo poo until you figure out the systems and keeping it together when things go wrong is antithetical to the superhero concept. Superheroes are by definition very powerful so you can't very well feel oppressed by your enemies and the environment.

I guess chimera squad was halfway there but even in CS a bunch of your regular enemies had more hit points than you and almost everyone could hurt you.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I love CS but all the death squad characters are Joss Whedony to a extreme degree so yeah I guess full marvel is the next step.

(Brutally murders 20 people and watches a civilian burn alive from a sticky bomb whoopsy) "uh, so THAT happened."

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It's a police death squad of quipy sociopaths but it's okay to enjoy fun video games imo

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I gave long war 1 a hundred hours before I realized I hated it. I think they're really talented designers but their idea of fun is very different from mine. Every time you think you're on top the curve the curve gets steeper, so there's always challenge (good) but no sense of accomplishment (I hate this part).

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah I was very not down with the idea of XCOM avengers or whatever, but this sounds good. The XCOM dudes effectively have superpowers already.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I actively hate most of the CS characters, it's not hard, and I still love replaying it. It's so great.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

They make a point of showing how nice and chill the explosives guy is out of combat which makes him seem even more like a serial killer.

Game rules though.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

For the record I think it makes total sense that the xcom cops are basically a death squad / special operations war team. It's that they're all so drat chipper about it that makes them seem like psychos. (it's pretty clear this isn't actually the intended read and they were just going for Whedonesque "uh, so THAT happened" dialogue)

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've had the DLC for 2 years and just figured out what Integrate DLC means from this topic. I was wondering why every one always talked about a shen mission that I never saw.

It's an absolutely mystifying word choice, and as I recall the tooltip isn't much clearer.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I feel like by the time you get a decent psi trooper, you’re at the “basically won” state already. I once rushed psi just to see if I could break that pattern, and the answer was, only barely. They’re fun but not decisive imo just due to the timing. By the time I have a super psi soldier I have a dozen other super soldiers with crazy gear

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Re: voice packs, the Bob Ross voice pack brings me great joy. A whispered “beautiful trees” as people and things and aliens explode makes him sound completely insane and I love it.

As per usual with voice packs, the volumes are all messed up, but a small price to pay.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

What's this thread's verdict on Chimera Squad? I can't quite get into it and whenever I try to play it, I end up just spinning a WoTC game instead.

It doesn't feel like a bad game, I think it just triggers me into wanting to play WoTC.

I think it’s amazingly fun, personally . I replayed it until I got 100% and I still occasionally do a run through. A thing I really love is how each mission is maybe 20 min. It makes it perfect to play here and there. Easily my favorite police death squad simulator.

It’s pretty easy compared to xcom 1 or 2 though, but one can find challenge by picking sub optimal powers and combinations, or going for flawless missions (though I’ve tended away from that as consistent flawless incentivized a pretty specific set of power and companion choices to rip open the action economy)

Edit: come to think of it, it would be the perfect mobile game due to its pacing. Each mission plus downtime adds up to a bus ride worth of time.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 31, 2022

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Doing something counterintuitive and not fun to get started is a great introduction to long war mechanics

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

Vahlen the mad scientist who makes monsters because v:v:v was retconned, but yeah Vahlen the ethics-free scalpel wielder was definitely a thing in XCOM:EW. Presenting her and Shen as opposite perspectives on the importance of maintaining humanity through the technological advances of the war was like the main thing happening in the cut-scenes.

It was some funny character inversion, not sure how intentional it was

Vehlen, evilly: let’s just give our people superpowers

Shen, wisely: cut off all their limbs and put them in metal tombs

(Both ruled)

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Shoenin posted:

been playing Enemy Within again after not playing it for a good while. Rushed early MECs.
my god are they awesome, and shoryukening big enemies to death is still the most fuckin metal thing in X-com

There’s so much I love about xcom2 v 1 but man punching a alien with a mec is incredibly fun

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Anno posted:

Covert Infiltration is newish I think?

Anyone tried this? I’ve played xcom 2 so many times I need a change up, but I’m not into the long war, curious if this changes it up without doing the long war “you never get an edge over the aliens” thing

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Rynoto posted:

MECs were so good. They're the one big thing I wish oldcom and its mods could replicate as tanks just don't feel the same.

I loved when I first got enemy within, and nice guy “preserve our humanity” Shen just lopped off someone’s arms legs and body to make them into a sweet killing machine. Buddy I didn’t know you had it in you.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

Mechanically and in terms of UI/quality of life, XCOM2 is superior to XCOM1 and I love playing it for that reason. The stealth stuff is fun too.

But narratively and flavor wise, XCOM1 is just so much more fun. Learning about the aliens, capturing them, shooting down and reverse engineering UFO's and general tech... it's wonderful.

Agree on all that. Also, I love having an underground base. I don’t know why but I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The characters in CS seem to be written to be a tumblr/2020 Twitter version of a Good Person. They care. They want to talk about it. They’re calm. They’re quippy. But unfortunately when you’re like that immediately after brutally killing several people, that means you’re an absolutely terrifying psychopath.

The only characters who didn’t outright freak me out as people were Torque and Godmother because if you kill people and have any faction of a soul you should have capital P Problems.

Great game though. 10/10 even with almost every character grossing me out and a premise of being a police death squad.