Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I have just experienced the glory of successfully hacking a Sectopod, and finishing the mission with it still under my control... and thus not having to kill it.

This is a wonderful day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I'm into late game stuff...

I made a soldier named Kiefer "Big Boss" Sutherland. He is a Ranger, and I gave him 100% Scout-tree skills, regardless of optimization. I also happened to attach a superior laser sight (+crit) and a superior Repeater to his shotgun. He's also using Bluescreen rounds.

So far, he has:
Executed a Sectopod - full health (his first shot ever - a sign of things to come)
Crit a slightly wounded Gatekeeper for 19 damage to kill it.
Executed *ANOTHER* Sectopod - full health
Killed a got-back-up Andromedon suit with a single crit - full health
And just now, executed a Gatekeeper from full health.

There is only a single enemy he has, thus far, had to fire more than a single shot at. A full-health Archon I tried to rapid-fire. He crit the first shot for 13 damage, but because it had flown into the air for Blazing Pinions, his accuracy was meh, so he missed the second shot, leaving it at 5 HP.

Big Boss, ladies and gentlemen.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Oh yeah, one thing I forgot about. Another thing Big Boss executed:

The Avatar released by Skulljacking a Codex. Big Boss does NOT have time for your bullshit.

Seriously, I do not regret giving him that Superior Repeater for an instant.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So uhh, question before I head into what I assume is the second-last mission.

Seeing as I'm only allowed to take three soldiers... these three don't get locked out of the final mission, do they? Because if so, I'm not bringing members of my A-team :colbert:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm starting to get annoyed at all these mods I'm interested in that say "REQUIRES RESISTANCE WARRIOR DLC" and apparently don't work AT ALL if it's not installed.

I wasn't able to pre-order, so I get screwed out of interesting mods :argh:

I honestly hope there's another way to get access to it, I've never been a fan of exclusive pre-order bonuses that are 100% gone forever if you didn't buy the game before it came out.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 10, 2016

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Uhh, I've only ever had a single zombie even get an attack off - and it did four damage to a soldier in Phalanx armor at full health (because armor)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Welp, first campaign on veteran completed. I fully admit to *lots* of savescumming when a move or encounter didn't go well. Kept a save at the start of every (when I remembered) battle, and one on the Geoscape, again when I remembered after a battle. Didn't realize how amazing the AWS and its random perks were, so I got it late.

Igor "Fireball" Dudek: My best grenadier for a long time, and definitely my shootier one. With an Autoloader in his gun, he could always be counted on to lay down heavy firepower where I needed it. I never got the upgraded Shredder gun, but he made use of the standard one quite well.

Denise "Jammer" Sullivan: Combat Medic and Robot-Thief extraordinaire. She also made good use of the repeater I gave her. Between that and giving my other soldiers free overwatch shots with Threat Protocol, she was a *very* effective all-around support - and her own free overwatch shot after full movement came in useful on more than one occasion.

Sarah "Thumper" Hahn: My primary go-to explosives carrier. Between grenades and her Blaster Launcher, she practically leveled entire city blocks, and I love her for it. Armor is *not* safe when Thumper's around.

Lexi "Shooter" Murray: My go-to Sniper. Always reliable, always deadly. Between Killzone and Serial, and giving her an extended Magazine, is it any wonder she has the single greatest kills-to-missions ratio of all my soldiers? More than once did she spend her entire 6-shot clip in a single turn.

Diane "Misery" Nelson: I was late getting a Psi Lab out, and boy do I regret it after seeing Misery in action. Not even for just the utility, but the raw offensive power she puts out. Rift, Null Lance, Soulfire... she's a powerhouse, and I gave her AP rounds so that even when she's not using mind-bullets, she STILL doesn't give a single gently caress about your armor.

Kiefer "Big Boss" Sutherland: Oh man. Big Boss lived up to his reputation in this campaign. I made him through the character pool midway through the campaign, after finally figuring out why I couldn't get mods to work and getting the right-eye eyepatch mod working. He showed up as a colonel ranger from a scan-rumor (very appropriate) at a time when I was decidedly low on high-rank rangers, I took him full-scout-tree because Big Boss, and I did NOT regret it. I gave him a Repeater, a Laser Sight, and Bluescreen rounds, and, well... he didn't get a huge number of kills, but they were always big kills. See my previous post about all of his various executions and crits.

I think it's appropriate that the final shot of the campaign was fired by none other than Big Boss. A crit, naturally.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

khy posted:

Shredder vs Blast Padding is super difficult to decide. They're both just so very, very good.

Get Shred. Getting rid of enemy armor is much more frequently useful than reducing explosion damage; enemies really don't use explosives all that often, in my experience. Plus, Shred's armor reduction increases with tech level. Plasma heavies shred 3 armor a hit.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

LightWarden posted:

Nope, it stops at tier 2 after autopsying mutons. Though sad compared to the subweapons of every other class in the game it's probably for the best, as continuing to scale up the grenade launcher would produce something that could basically attack an entire screen of enemies from several screens away.

Then again, by upgrading from frag to plasma grenades, it's sort of giving the grenade launchers another upgrade, honestly.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

dyzzy posted:

Nice, does that prevent the teleport on taking damage?

It does. I wasn't able to find one before that point though. By the time one DID show up, it was kinda hard to keep it alive.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, what I want more than anything in regards to health is just to do what EU/EW did and have the health bar stack into a second row after it reaches a certain number, like someone mentioned I think on the last page. It was way easier to tell that a Sectopod had 30 health, because there were 6 rows of five HP pips.

Difficulty in making the numbers easily visible just sorta supports the whole "HP bars" idea, it's just that the bars as they are make it really hard to tell at a glance how much HP is there on the stronger enemies.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Moogle posted:

The customization mod is just about the best thing ever.

If you're going to dominate minds, you may as well be dapper about it.

Its about ten pages back, but I have to comment on this.

I wanted this mod. But then I saw a big bolded MUST HAVE RESISTANCE WARRIOR DLC and I thought, "well gently caress you, too".

Firaxis *better* put that DLC out as a purchasable addon at some point.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

Are we playing the same game?

Aggressive Flanking is bad because it means rushing forward too quickly and revealing more enemies than you're prepared for.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

So kill them and move on. What are you having trouble with?

The trouble is that you're completely ignoring the problem. You say "kill them and move on", when the discussion was about aggressively flanking an enemy. "Kill them and move on" suggests no new pods are being activated.

Moving forward to aggressively flank the current enemies is very likely to activate new pods before the current pod is dead and dealt with. Which is what we're trying to avoid in the first place.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yes, Psi Ops have their own nickname pool, just like any other class. I had two named "Misery" and "Warlock".

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I think that "No arms/legs" option is meant to go with Civvie outfits. I remember seeing that in the mod description.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
By the way, I'm curious about one thing. A comment by Shen at one point, one of her random comments states that "Both Bradford and the commander both know and trust Cato from before the war".

Who the gently caress is Cato?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Incidentally, I am sad that there is no "Mullet" option for hair.

Awesome as he was in my first campaign, I just don't feel like Big Boss will be complete with the signature Snake Mullet.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to say Tygan and they changed his first name at the last second.

She also calls the Skulljack the Stasis Lance.

Just realized something. This doesn't fit - Bradford and especially the Commander definitely do *NOT* remember and trust Tygan from before the war. "Cato" remains a mystery... unless its some sort of name that was going to be attached to the Spokesman/Informant.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
You know, all things considered, I'm considering grabbing a 6->8 Soldier Squad mod and an increased enemy pod size mod. I hate having to choose which of so many awesome builds of dudes to take along. Scrap my current saves and start up a new campaign with maximum dudes.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Lunethex posted:

You won't regret it. It's loving awesome destroying 12+ enemies with a single grenade or just having more reason to use heavy weapons in good situations. It can get a bit outrageous early on though, but I'm playing on Legend. I'd also recommend bumping up the base stats of soldiers too.

Honestly, I was just thinking one of the "one more enemy per pod" kind of thing. I'm a wuss who plays on Veteran and still savescums to hell and back. I also grabbed a "Wound Recalibration" mod that I'll test at the same time. Supposed to make hospital times actually make sense compared to damage taken.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I dunno, that one was just a bit too silly for me, to be honest.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
In short, slow agonizing overplanned, overthought overwatch creep is bad, get in, get poo poo done, get out is good.

I'm with the people who say "if the timers are legit giving you constant trouble, the game is telling you to turn down the difficulty"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Okay, random thought. To go along with this "increased squad size" mod, how might I go about increasing the size of the initial pool of rookies from the paltry *8* to something a bit more reasonable? Keeping in mind this will be my first time ever editing the files of a game like this :ohdear:

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 13, 2016

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Fangz posted:

Hmm, I think the first tier grenades are fine - the early game is pretty hard already. Are the second tier grenades that strong? I tend to get them quite late.

They do about 5-6 damage instead of 3-4 and shred two armor instead of 1.

It's not that big a difference, but in large numbers or in the hands of Grenadiers, it can get pretty drat potent.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Pirate Jet posted:

Hi, I love these games but I'm only a casual player who doesn't have the time to watch every three-hour stream Beaglerush puts up. What was the "Beaglerush strategy" that Jake Solomon referred to that they had to patch out?

Set up an overwatch ambush, but position your soldiers so that your concealment is broken on *their* turn by leaving someone exposed for them to spot, forcing them to take their no-shooting cover-move from activating, only to trigger all the overwatches, then immediately go back to your turn for MORE murder.

Instead, they'll just shoot at the exposed guy, now.

EDIT: Could someone please point out how to increase the initial pool of rookies from 8 to a more reasonable size for someone using an increased squad-size mod? As it stands, if just three guys get shot out of the 6 in that first mission, I get the "not enough soldiers to field a full squad" alert.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jabor posted:

You have grenades, and aggressive flanks, and all sorts of other ways to solve problems. If you're playing well, "luck" is the difference between getting out of a map cleanly or taking a few scrapes along the way - you're probably making mistakes somewhere if hitting a single 70% shot is going to be the difference between winning and squad-wiping.

I think his point is that it's NOT a single 70% shot, it's about fifteen of them.

In short, he has done a great many things in his life to anger RNGesus, and is being severely punished for it, and that sounds like the long and short of his problems.

In a game where every shot is determined by RNG, if the numbers are against you, the game is against you. Period.

(still trying to figure out how to expand the initial roster of rookies. No idea what line I'm looking for in these .ini's T_T)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So did anyone else's game go loving nuts on the last mission? Specifically in the last room? Everything started rapidly flashing green and yellow and purple, the screen got tinted dark blue for a turn, etc?

Contrary to what people tell you when first seeing the codex, that sounds like your graphics card is indeed wigging out.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Okay, random thought. To go along with this "increased squad size" mod, how might I go about increasing the size of the initial pool of rookies from the paltry *8* to something a bit more reasonable? Keeping in mind this will be my first time ever editing the files of a game like this :ohdear:

Anyone got an answer for this? I'm holding off on my next campaign until I can start with more than 2 soldiers that aren't part of the initial mission. =\

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Step 1: Create characters
Step 2: Select character in Character Pool from main menu, export to a Character Pool (create your own, preferably)

Step 3: Here's where the file-mucking begins. At least in my computer, where to go is ->

Documents->My Games->XCOM2->XComGame->CharacterPool->Importable-> Your character pool .bin file is here. Email it to them as an attachment or upload it somewhere for download.

Step 4: Have them download it, and put it in the same spot on THEIR computer.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Huh. That is not what I was expecting, I figured there was just a "share with friends" button or something. Thank you for the quick reply.

Just make sure all the characters you want to share are in that pool.

If only it was this easy to increase that drat starting roster of rookies. Still have no idea what I need to change :ohdear:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'll give it a try, but the number next to that makes me think it's the number of soldiers that start in the "Recruit" menu, rather than your actual starting soldiers - that line says 10, whereas I'm starting with 8 soldiers, including the ones from the first mission.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Megasabin posted:

What is the consequence of ignoring a council mission?

If it's not to counter a Dark Event, the only consequences are not getting any experience or rewards out of it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
You know, I'm starting to wonder if, somehow there isn't actually a way to increase that starting pool of rookies beyond 8. I don't see any mods doing it, and the only thing I can find in the file actually increases the number of recruitable rookies in the "Recruit" tab, not your actual starting roster.

I just want to be free of that drat "not enough soldiers for a full squad" warning after the first mission when 3 soldiers get hurt :negative:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Orgophlax posted:

Anyone know if the game will use mod added part (like Capnbubs Accessories Pack) when it randomly generates troops?

It *absolutely* will.

Before I removed the mod, I had a randomly generated dude with the fancy top hat. I also had someone randomly generated with Jack's hair from the Mass Effect Jack appearance modpack thing.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

PirateBob posted:

Is it worth it to spend resources and upgrades on magnetic weapons or should I go straight for Gauss?

Gauss are literally just the Mag. level for your miniguns and sniper rifles.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Sperglord Firecock posted:

It doesn't work exactly like this, but the way I THINK it works is that in Fire Emblem, a crit is automatically a hit, so by boosting crit, you are boosting your chances of hitting things thanks to crits automatically being hits.

I'm pretty sure that was only in FE6, and it was why Berzerkers and Swordmasters were so broken, combined with having 30 bonus crit instead of 15. Pretty sure every other game rolls hit first. No idea about XCom though.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Well, I hope to find a way to do it properly, but for now, I've improvised by just upping my starting supplies by 100 and adding 4 extra rookies to the recruitable pool.

If there isn't a way to increase the actual starting roster of rookies already in your barracks, I will be both upset, and CONFUSED.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Tell me he came with an afro. I'm BEGGING you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Random thought, with all these lying "Successful Shot Percentage" readings... I dunno if it's been discussed already, but maybe it just doesn't count overwatch shots? Cause the only shots I missed on this last mission were all overwatch shots (dammit, Zaeed!), all the manual shots hit home. Successful Shot percentage: 100%.