Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

LASTCAR posted:

Precisely.

Eliminating the final three spots in the field not only makes it that much harder for start-ups to break in, but serves to punish teams that didn't join the RTA. They want the outsiders to fight against each other for so few spots that it'll be difficult for any of them to run the full season. When those outsiders can't attract any sponsors anymore, it'll just be the 36 charters playing in their own sandbox - just how they've always wanted it.

What I'm curious about is what will happen when underfunded charter teams start to collapse, such as Premium Motorsports and BK Racing. In the past, as with the Top 35 rule, points were sold to new start-up teams so they could make the first few races of the year. I don't see that happening with the charters because I don't see the RTA accepting new members, leaving only the ones who "grandfathered" in. What I see instead is a gradual restructuring of Sprint Cup fields into something similar to Formula One, where the fields are capped at less than 30 cars and any brazen outsiders have to go through "pre-qualifying" just to make it into the final row. And that would suck.

I'm thinking they just sell their Taxicab Medallions to someone else who wants to race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I can't think of a better way to attract a new title sponsor than to have the head of NASCAR endorse a bigot for president.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

LASTCAR posted:

Those arguing about this are under the mistaken belief NASCAR's sanctioning body is in charge of both suspending drivers and track marketing. Many keep asking "how was the incident bad enough to warrant a two-race suspension, but not bad enough to use in advertising?" Fact is, if your track hosted a controversial wreck and a retiring driver's final win, and you want to sell tickets, you better use both clips in your ads.

The comparisons to Daytona 1979 are also infuriating. Apples and oranges. Donnie, Bobby, and Cale only got slaps on the wrist and weren't suspended for any races. Bill France, Jr. knew what he had and played it up. Brian France got that same opportunity and screwed it up, so Martinsville's promoters had to do it for him.

NASCAR owns most of the tracks via holding companies and have heavy influence over the ones that they don't. If they wanted to squash this type of advertising, they could do it with one phone call. They don't do it because they care about making money.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Kyle recently stated that he races in the lower leagues to learn the track for the cup races.

Xfinity is literally an extended practice session.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

VikingSkull posted:

this is the post where I point out that drivers always used it as a test session, and also that we have historically low levels of Cup drivers in the lower series

it's like pointing to Chicago and saying violent crime is up worldwide..... yeah Kyle is winning everything but it's better than 10-20 Cup guys in the race like the 80's had

e- this was never an issue when Earnhardt or Stewart was winning every Daytona race (why not let the Patriots play for the NCAA title, right?) or when Mark Martin was doing it, the only reason people are butthurt is it's Kyle doing it

You are not wrong. The difference is that back then people were willing to come out and watch the lower tier support races.

Now that every single on is on TV, the market has become over-saturated. The real difference is a decline in interest in NASCAR and overexposure.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Did anyone even watch the race? I fell asleep before the Green Flag and woke up at 2 AM EST

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
They should adopt the single center locking nut like IndyCar and F1 use.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

be nice wicka posted:

NASCAR and F1 are in similar spots, really. everyone assumes management is stupid because they haven't yet capitalized on the streaming market; the reality is that it would be detrimental to do so while they can still pump so much money out of the networks.

Jeff Zucker used to talk about “trading analogue dollars for digital pennies.” You can also call it digital disruption. Brian France is milking as much money as he possible can now because he knows in the future those revenues won't be there.

(In case it wasn't clear, the streaming market is where you go to lose profits)

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
If you think NASCAR is going to make more money of streaming model than they do off their television contact then we are at a disagreement.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Harveygod posted:

You know, Dale Jr is a cool guy and all, but I sort of hope he's the one who gets killed/deformed just to spite NASCAR.

:drat:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Just so I understand this correctly,

If it's overtime, and the driver in front gets past the line, all he had to do is slam his car into the wall and he wins?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Team Chariot races.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
— After the second segment, a random draw will be held to determine if nine, 10 or 11 cars must enter pit road for a mandatory four-tire pit stop. Pit road will be closed for all other cars. Cars leaving pit road will align behind those that did not pit to begin the final segment

:regd08:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Anyone else feel like this all star race format reeks of desperation? It's like NASCAR is admitting their regular product is so boring that they have to write a script to create drama.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cygni posted:

The Cup race this weekend had the lowest race ratings in a decade. Of course its the best race they've had in a while, of course.

It takes decades to build a sport up and just a couple of bad years to tear it down.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Fox could learn something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF5tIWMa2k4

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
If it's not too late, I'll take one.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I fell asleep during race but woke up and watched the last 50 laps. I was bored with it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I don't watch much of NASCAR after the first 2 months. I get bored watching it on TV and there is so much to do outside instead.

Why do I get bored? I'm not really 100% sure, but I know that the first 80% of the race doesn't really matter because NASCAR constantly resets the field with the wave arounds, lucky dogs, and caution flags that don't need to thrown. It's pretty rare that the top 15 guys are not on the lead lap at the finish, and that makes most of the race pointless to me.

I still hang around and read the NASCAR thread of course.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Harveygod posted:

They seem to be only leaving Indycar right now. Their contact for the NASCAR side runs out after 2017.

They have a new CEO, and that means they will be out when the contract is up. Companies sponsor racing because their executives like the perks more than anything else. When the new guy comes in, see the cost benefit analysis, it becomes an easy decision to cut.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I hope it's Samsung because an Asian company as title sponsor would really tweak the redneck fans.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

He isn't afraid to say what's on his mind. Dead on about Danica too

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Saw this on another NASCAR board. This is how NASCAR handled cautions back in the 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSi3gQ3_sZo

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

njsykora posted:

That wasn't even the best burn dropped in reply to that tweet.

I'm lazy and couldn't figure out how to embed tweets on SA.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

exploding mummy posted:

Tweets are embed automatically when you post the link.

It didn't embed when I did post preview. Weird

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The local 1/4 mile will start 100 for the enduros. on the first lap, the cars in front will reach the back of the pack.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

theacox posted:

HOLY gently caress. 100 enduros is really a problem. I'm not sure why they would even do that. I used to go to Lake Geneva Raceway and see 50-ish on the 1/3 mile and that was really the max that I would feel comfortable with.

If it gives you any sort of perception, enduros died a horrible death here the last 15 years (or further back, not sure)and are just getting a spark of a restart. I went to one about a month ago that started 8 cars. I was one of 15 (maybe?) people in the stands. 10 of those people were family of one driver. It was $5 to get in, so whatever. They had one last weekend that I couldn't make, but I hope they had a couple more cars .

https://youtu.be/Gp3qEvgDdcg?t=1m43s

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Did they announce who is replacing Sprint yet?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So is there some controversy about 3 of the Gibbs cars dropping to the back of the field?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The Munster's Hot Rods were seriously awesome.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

I thought he won a race.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Biffle is old. I would be surprised if he gets an offer from a competitive team.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Elitist Bitch posted:

Live sports ratings are down across the board- even the NFL is not immune. Despite the fact that they're trying to grow the sport in Europe, they're getting pressure to stop showing games at balls in the morning on the west coast. My guess is that cord-cutters are finally getting to live sports, and they're going to have to give up and sell directly to consumers. I live in the local broadcast area for my NFL team and I pay $20/season to listen to the radio broadcasts of my "local" baseball team (meaning that I can't get them on MLB.TV) that isn't even carried in my local cable system. This is what is killing sports in general and NASCAR in particular- people under 40 simply won't get cable to watch sports, especially as networks pay to put those sports on progressively higher tiers of cable.

What's killing other sports on TV is the overabundance of commercials. NFL games are unwatchable with it's tiny little bits of action sandwiched between endless dick pill ads.

What's killing NASCAR is that it looks really boring on modern TV. If you haven't been to a race the cars look slow and boring when watching in HD. It doesn't help that the TV directors all have ADD and refuse to keep a camera focused on anything for more then 30 seconds.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Muddy Burphy posted:

It wouldn't have made a difference as Arris is tied to Suarez.

And all the Carlos Slim money buys a nice ride.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

dentist toy box posted:

But the points don't matter

That's what I was thinking. Are they expecting teams to be motivated to go all out in order to get enough point to get that one chase spot that isn't determined by wins?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/823294661079027712

I think he's trying to say that changing the format won't matter when the cars can't pass each other. Fix the tracks and fix the aero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

No, he's made it clear in many tweets that he thinks the idea that drivers aren't trying hard 100% of the time is laughable.

Then I'm saying they need to fix the tracks and the aero, not the the championship format.

• Locked thread